Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

115mm Grinder Chop Saw Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2011, 01:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 115mm Grinder Chop Saw Adapter

Where can I find one: does anyone have any ideas? Ive scoured eBay without any positive result, which has me doubting that everyone describes the item as I have...

Its a (usually hard plastic) base which has a hinged arm onto which the hand grinder is fastened. You turn the tool on manually and then operate the arm via an extended handle - essentially converting a hand grinder into a simple metal chop saw.

Simon
Old 24 October 2011, 01:59 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

That sounds a touch dangerous

No dead man circuit anywhere?
Old 24 October 2011, 02:06 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure I've seen this too. I get loads of junk mail/email from Machine Mart, Screwfix and CPC. So it might be in one of those.
Old 24 October 2011, 04:12 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...0saw%20adapter

Like this?
Old 24 October 2011, 05:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Theyre a bit of a make do and mend Noel, but if treated with care theyre alright. Thats the thing Paul yes, thank you.

Ive since found out that theyre commonly referred to as 'angle grinder stands', which explains why I didnt find on on Machine Marts website...

Simon
Old 24 October 2011, 05:10 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Noel, this has got me thinking...

I need a set of mountings for a rollcage. They usually come with it of course, but this isnt the first car its been in and the old fitting kit was welded to the floor of the original car, so I need to source a replacement.

Safety Devices are about as much use as a sh*t on a stick, as expected, suggesting their 'standard fitting kit', but that will be unsuitable because my A post tubes mount on the sill top, not the floor, which is more common; even though they know exactly which model I have(!).

If I came up with a couple of drawings could you get them cut out and drilled for me, out of 3-4mm mild steel sheet, for a consideration?

Simon
Old 24 October 2011, 06:08 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by GC8
Noel, this has got me thinking...

I need a set of mountings for a rollcage. They usually come with it of course, but this isnt the first car its been in and the old fitting kit was welded to the floor of the original car, so I need to source a replacement.

Safety Devices are about as much use as a sh*t on a stick, as expected, suggesting their 'standard fitting kit', but that will be unsuitable because my A post tubes mount on the sill top, not the floor, which is more common; even though they know exactly which model I have(!).

If I came up with a couple of drawings could you get them cut out and drilled for me, out of 3-4mm mild steel sheet, for a consideration?

Simon
Simon, 3mm is plenty thick enough, SD and Rollcentre both use 2.5mm for their cage fitting kits.

Cages where the downtubes come down to meet the sill top rather than the floor usually have L shaped brackets which reach to the floor.

PM some sketches to me and I'll see what I can do.

Whilst you're at it, if your cage doesn't already have them, have a look at doing some brackets to tie your main roll hoop to the upper seatbelt anchors on your B pillars too.

Trending Topics

Old 24 October 2011, 06:17 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

VAT free day at Machine mart this Sunday and next Wednesday
Old 24 October 2011, 07:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The first one in years I havent had a card for...

Noel, I was erring on the side of caution, because Im not sure of the tubes thickness - they have a number of different 944 / 968 products now and they dont all use the same tube.

As Im sure you know, the plates have to be equal to the tubes thickness, although the MSA also state that it must be at least 3mm thick and 120cm2 in area.

I have considered extra ties, but I didnt want to marr the cages finish by welding onto it - Ive been looking at a bracket (as used on their universal knee-breaker bar) to do this instead.

The accepted wisdom is that 944s dont often turn upside down: words I might yet regret.....
Old 24 October 2011, 09:12 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

We use 3mm by the tonne, so it's easy for me to get hold of. Try and get the plates as big as you can, I have seen rolled rally cars where a cage leg, usually a front one, has punched through the floor of the car

I assumed you were caging an impreza, tying the cage to the pillars on a 944 is probably not so critical, their shells are stiffer in the first place.

I presume you're not intending to prove the not rolling thing wrong
Old 25 October 2011, 04:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Hoping not to!

The beauty of this cage is that the front and main hoop both mount onto strong sections, rather than onto the floor.

This is similar, although its a SD weld-in:

Im not sure exactly what the front plates need to look like, so I will have to get back to you.

Simon