Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Free weight power racks anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2011, 01:08 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free weight power racks anyone?

Just about to upgrade my bench for a power rack and the choice and range is huge. I don't want to spend over the odds, equally I don't want my head cruched by 100kg+ barbell!

These look decent:

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...power-rack.php

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...line-bench.php

Anyone have any practical experience of a good rack and untility bench? Suggestions welcomed.
Old 30 September 2011, 03:32 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the C375 rack with the pulley system (also bought from powerhouse) and it's been great. I really don't see how you'd need the more heavy duty item (the one you linked) unless you were doing massive weights and dumping them from a great height onto your equipment. A few times I've let 120kg slide off my shoulders after squat failure and they drop 6" or so onto the bars with no problems at all.

I'd also recommend the pulley system. I was determined that I didn't need it but for some reason I ended up with it (can't remember how now - maybe non-pulley was out of stock?). Glad I did as I've found myself using the pulley quite a lot as you can come up with loads of exercises/uses for them. Also, because they just take 2" Olympic weights you can easily load massive weight onto the pulley system.

I bought my set up about 2 years ago and paid £500 total for the rack, weights, benches, etc. My thinking was I'd never need/desire to go back to a gym at circa £50 a month. In 24 months I've never been near a gym meaning I've saved £1200 on costs (not including fuel). Furthermore, I could probably sell my entire set up tomorrow for £200+ if I wanted to.

If you've got the space then I'd say £500 on a rack set up is a great way to go. Only problem would be if you were a weightlifting beast that wanted to do tones of weird isolation moves where you need very specific machines/equipment. With my rack I can do all the big moves safely and a ton of smaller stuff as well.
Old 30 September 2011, 08:04 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racks are definitely the way to go. It's good to have a specific recommendation - there aren't many user based reviews. A few specific forums have some good sticky threads but a lot is out of date.

Thanks for the recommendation - I was also not going to bother with the lat pull down/pulley tower, but I'll give it a second look now.
Old 30 September 2011, 08:26 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I lift a 4 pack of tesco beans once a week.. Thats about my limit.
Old 30 September 2011, 08:47 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My initial thoughts were that I had the pull up handles so why would I need a lat pull down rig. However, if you think about it you can work at <body weight with the lat pull down and, more importantly, you can do lots of other exercises using the pulley system. For example you can get the Y-shaped ropes attachment and do reverse tri's, curls, work your delts and other shoulder muscles, etc, etc, etc.

Also, the lighter duty model I recommend is roughly the same cost as the heavy duty non-pulley one you were looking at. The only final thing to consider is that safety bars need 2x their length in clearance to pull them out of the rack (my garage is standard new build width and they come out no probs). Also, they squeak like nails on a blackboard when removing them!

When I got mines I was initially looking for a simple A-frame squat rack. However, if you have the space a full power rack is much better as it gives you so many options. There are so many random advantages that you might not have thought of. For example, I rest my feet on the pulley lugs (were you put the weights) and put my bar across the front of the rack to allow me to do inverted rows with my feet raised about 12" off the ground.

Last edited by Saxo Boy; 30 September 2011 at 08:48 PM.