Thinking About Turning to the Darkside - iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2011, 05:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Thinking About Turning to the Darkside - iPhone

Hi all,

Was having a play around with an iPhone the other night and was quite impressed by it. Browsing was easier and faster than my Blackberry, and I thought the whole thing, the layout etc, was just a more clever design.

My contract at the moment is sim only for the Blackberry I've had since '09. I'd buy a sim free iPhone 4 to use just now and have my contract package changed to suit, but the iPhone 5 looks to be coming soon. When it's released, is it even likely to be available sim free from the off? And if so, how much more expensive will it be, and do you reckon it will be worth it?

Would appreciate any advice.

Cheers.
Old 29 September 2011, 05:57 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 29 September 2011, 05:57 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Eff off!
Old 29 September 2011, 06:05 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt

Old 29 September 2011, 06:13 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

If the '5' follows the pricing of the '4' then it will be around £500 sim free from the Apple Store, I can't remember if initial stocks of the 4 went only to mobile phone networks or not.
Old 29 September 2011, 06:32 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the sim free deal with the iphone 4 or even better wait until the iphone 5 is released on the 14th and then grab a bargain as every operator offloads the old stock
Old 29 September 2011, 07:22 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Or get an HTC for less than half the price, not so trendy but a better phone.
Old 29 September 2011, 07:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I've never bought a contract phone. I've always bought sim free phones and moved sims about as necessary.

In your shoes now I'd wait to see what the 5 retails at and also what deals are to be had on a 4, if any, then compare from there.

I've used the Apple store online via Quidco for a few quid off. It is probably one of the few 'main dealers' I use to purchase goods but you really can't save a penny buying elsewhere, due to Apple's price fix.

Once you've finished with a sim free phone you can eBay it towards your next purchase or in my case give it to someone who will use it.

Overall if you have the purchase money up front it works out cheaper than a contract phone on a tariff that you can easily get for £10/month.
Old 29 September 2011, 08:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

it does for an iphone - others pretty negligable

Was thinking about doing this if iphone 4 drops a bit ,if, however that you can only have face time with a fellow nerd puts me off
Old 29 September 2011, 08:33 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
it does for an iphone - others pretty negligable

Was thinking about doing this if iphone 4 drops a bit ,if, however that you can only have face time with a fellow nerd puts me off
Yes, it is an iPhone thread after all.

Lots of phones are cheaper the sim only route. Anybody thinking a mediocre phone on say a £30/month contract is a good deal doesn't realise £20 of that is the phone despite what they get told or read initially. A bit of savvy shopping talking directly to the providers, (usually retentions), and a cracking tariff can be had, if you can be bothered of course.

I've also never used Facetime and can't see me wanting to. Voice dial is off too as the home button has been pressed in accidentally before now and dialled randomly. Yes, the voice dial works even if the phone is locked unless you manually turn it off in settings!
Old 29 September 2011, 09:17 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow! iPhone5 is a bargain, only £500! and it's not just a phone, it's an "ecosystem" and your life will improve 10 fold. Be prepared for the trim coiffured goatee and those narrow rectangular spectacles, it's part of the lifestyle.
Old 05 October 2011, 03:10 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Get the sim free deal with the iphone 4 or even better wait until the iphone 5 is released on the 14th and then grab a bargain as every operator offloads the old stock
That sounds like a plan. I see they're selling an 8gb iPhone 4 at the Apple store now for £429 now. Think I'll look around and try to get a 16gb one cheap once the 4S comes out.
Old 05 October 2011, 03:22 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
That sounds like a plan. I see they're selling an 8gb iPhone 4 at the Apple store now for £429 now. Think I'll look around and try to get a 16gb one cheap once the 4S comes out.
From a quick glance this morning I think that is all they have for sale online in the Apple store where the iphone4 is concerned, a new 8GB. No 16s or 32s that I saw.
Old 05 October 2011, 03:24 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Yip. They seem to have relegated the 4 to a poverty spec 8gb model now that the 4S is coming out. Surely there will still be many places with old (but brand new) 16gbs?
Old 05 October 2011, 03:29 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Yip. They seem to have relegated the 4 to a poverty spec 8gb model now that the 4S is coming out. Surely there will still be many places with old (but brand new) 16gbs?
Yes I'm sure there are. eBay for one, if you like a dare.
Old 05 October 2011, 03:52 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaxU0ut5tUw

I know i have posted it before but still faf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCYD3...eature=related

Last edited by The Zohan; 05 October 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05 October 2011, 04:10 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
I will never get tired of those videos.
Old 05 October 2011, 05:00 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I've had Nokias all my mobile life, but the last three have been progressively sh!tter

So I finally turned to the darkside about 3 months ago, and to be honest it is better than I expected it to be. As an actual telephone the 4 is a bit cumbersome, but no more so than any other smart phone, and I took my time adapting to the differences from the Nokia, but I am now getting use to it

However as a gadget - and it kills me to admit this - it really is awesome The sheer variety of applications that are available is mind boggling

It does have some irritating features (as you can pick up from my thread elsewhere) but on the whole I am happy with it
Old 05 October 2011, 05:01 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

PS; I can honestly say, I've not had a problem with calls dropping out
Old 06 October 2011, 08:47 PM
kj200sx
Scooby Regular

people can say what they like but after trying several diff phones htc nokia etc etc I can honestly say that none of them even come close to an iPhone if the future ones are as good as the 4 I will never own a differnent phone you will not regret getting one IMO
Old 07 October 2011, 11:27 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Or get an HTC for less than half the price, not so trendy but a better phone.
Based on owning an (eagerly awaited) HTC sensation I have to ask what's better?

Better at being worse!

Very cheap fragile feel, display almost unusable outside, worse battery, frustrating jumbled menus and UI. Camera was better.. err, can't think of anything else! And that's comparing it to my shonky old 3GS!

I wish someone would come up with something better but I've yet find something.

It's funny I was reading some islating on another forum and someone posted a vs review between iPhone 4 and samsung s2, the s2 won.. One of the categories was weight, the s2 won because it was lighter than the iPhone. There's just no helping some people! Ofcoarse it's lighter, it's built 100 times better ffs. I know what I'd rather have.
Old 07 October 2011, 11:34 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Twenty years ago you'd have been locked up for suggesting people would pay five hundred quid for a mobile phone. How times have changed.
Old 07 October 2011, 12:02 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd try the galaxy s2 before you get an iphone. Faster, better camera resolution and the battery lasts longer. Even the apple boys at work admit it's a better phone and have taken to moaning about samsung have ripped off iphones features and design instead.
Old 07 October 2011, 12:19 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Twenty years ago you'd have been locked up for suggesting people would pay five hundred quid for a mobile phone. How times have changed.
Ah but, Tel. Twenty seven years ago I paid circa £2,200 for my first mobile phone, not to mention high call costs, a connection charge, no SMS, MMS, internet, camera or the mention of unlimited anything. So things are looking good now.

Last edited by Spoon; 07 October 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07 October 2011, 12:30 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

My advice? Don't listen to anyone's advice!

Try a decent android phone and an iPhone instore and make your own mind up about interface, handset design, price etc (basically whatever criteria floats your boat).

I've had loads on phones (I manage 270 handsets for work) on trial from the network and personally prefer the iPhone 4 hands down over any other phone.

Sales figures indicate the real sheep are Android users, think different.
Old 07 October 2011, 12:41 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Ah but, Tel. Twenty seven years ago I paid circa £2,200 for my first mobile phone, not to mention high call costs, a connection charge, no SMS, MMS, internet, camera or the mention of unlimited anything. So things are looking good now.
In 1988 I got a nec 9a given to me as a company phone, cost some 1800.00 back then. all it did was make/receive calls and store some 99 numbers!
Old 07 October 2011, 12:55 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

While we're reminiscing.. I had an early nokia analogue handset with pull out aerial. We moan about a smart phone lasting a day or two on battery these days but I remember having to keep that nokia turned off until you needed to use it. If you made a call (if you were lucky enough to get a signal) the battery would be dead in minutes!

How soon we forget!
Old 07 October 2011, 12:57 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

I had a HTC desire and before that I had a HTC 1, I have a blackberry as a work phone.

Now I own a Iphone 4 after putting it off as I did not want to be a Iphone-drone.

Now I wish I turned to the dark side ages ago. I love my iphone, I love how easy it is to use. Its just brilliant, and everything connects to it.

I would highly recommend a iphone
Old 07 October 2011, 12:58 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I still have my Siemens S25 phone with 4 colour display knocking around! It's a great little phone.
Old 07 October 2011, 01:01 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I remember when Orange launched SMS on their network, you had a pay a monthly fee just for the privilege of sending SMS on top on the 10p per message

Quick Reply: Thinking About Turning to the Darkside - iPhone