Doctors wtf

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2011, 08:12 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Doctors wtf

I hate the new set up of my doctors...

My hip has been painful for the last three weeks and as it doesn't seem to want to heal by itself I decided to make an appointment.

So I call at 2pm to be told I have to ring at 8am the next day!

IM DYING NOW NOT TOMORROW FFS!

8am Tuesday morning and it's engaged... I keep trying and finally 8:10 an automated voice says press 1 for appointments pres 2 for prescriptions... Being a new mobile I take the phone from my face go to press 1 and my knuckle hits the hang up button FFFFS!!!!!

Back to engaged...

Ow Im though and pass option 1.. got some really crap music. Tenner says they say they are fully booked. I WILL GO MAD IF THIS HAPPENS !!!
Old 20 September 2011, 08:24 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK

May I recommend going to A&E?
Old 20 September 2011, 08:41 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My doctors are like this too. I'm never allowed to book an appointment a few days in advance, always have to be on the day I call. The line is always engaged from 8am onwards so always use the ring back service. Can't make an appointment late afternoon and always told to call the following morning. Not sure why they have this system, I asked them why they have this system and was told so that people are less likely to cancel appointments. Now, depending you what condition or symptoms you describe, you get put through the practice nurse who then advises whether to come in or not to see the nurse and if you do go in, you only get to see the doctor if you are on death's door.

Is this some new cost cutting measure or something? who knows......
Old 20 September 2011, 08:50 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

My doctors are ok but a few people i have have s41t doctors like this, the only way to get an appointment is demand one or you've got no chance unless you make a fuss.
Old 20 September 2011, 08:58 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
My doctors are like this too. I'm never allowed to book an appointment a few days in advance, always have to be on the day I call. The line is always engaged from 8am onwards so always use the ring back service. Can't make an appointment late afternoon and always told to call the following morning. Not sure why they have this system, I asked them why they have this system and was told so that people are less likely to cancel appointments. Now, depending you what condition or symptoms you describe, you get put through the practice nurse who then advises whether to come in or not to see the nurse and if you do go in, you only get to see the doctor if you are on death's door.

Is this some new cost cutting measure or something? who knows......
Not much to do with cost cutting, far more to do with the retards who make an appointment a few days before and then when they feel better (probably because they were never that ill in the first place) don't bother to cancel and just don't turn up.

My doctor told me up to a third of appointments were 'no shows' under the old system whereas now that is less than 2%.

It's common sense given half the population of this sh1thole of a country are selfish moronic fcukwits!
Old 20 September 2011, 09:19 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

My surgery isn't too bad. I called, couldn't get an appointment, said I really wasn't okay. Doctor called me back after morning surgery, described my symptoms and told me to come straight away.

However, I do not understand why I can't make an appointment a few days / weeks in advance if there is something wrong but not an emergency. It makes everyones life easier: I can schedule it, they have appointments in the future etc..
Old 20 September 2011, 10:34 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Robsy: may I suggest you either turn up on their doorstep at 2pm when they re-open, or ask to speak to/see a parctise nurse, who holds some appointments for the doctors.

Or go up to A&E, explain you can't bear the pain, your doctyors can't see you. You may have to wait, but you will be seen.

Trending Topics

Old 20 September 2011, 10:36 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
It's common sense given half the population of this sh1thole of a country are selfish moronic fcukwits!
gold star for the incisive description of our country and its inhabitants
Old 20 September 2011, 10:50 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our surgery used to have the policy that no appointments could be made over one week in advance, and under that system it was a nightmare getting an appointment (there were a few slots reserved for emergency appointments each day).

Now (without advertising the change) you can book appointments weeks in advance, but trying to get one within the same week is almost impossible. They keep back some book on day appointments and emergency ones, so you might have a chance of seeing somebody if you are on the phone at 8am on the dot, waiting for an age for somebody to answer the phone. It's not a great system for people that work as you end up having to let work know at very short notice that you need to go to the doctors. Thankfully I get my day off mid week, so I try to get appointments then if possible, it means I am up sooner on my day off than on a work day, but that's life.
Old 20 September 2011, 11:08 AM
deepy
Scooby Regular

No appointment needed to see a doctor here, just turn up and wait. Dont really see the need for an appointments system to see a GP anyway, bar those that get well in the meantime, they will be seeing roughly the same number of patients as those that dont use appt systems and when do you ever get seen on time with an appointment?
Old 20 September 2011, 12:59 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

If you ring in the afternoon and there is no realistic chance of seeing you that day then you are on the system for an extra day before your appointment. Makes it more difficult to meet the target of minimising waiting times for an appointment.
Old 20 September 2011, 01:31 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Our doctors are like this too. Drives me nuts. You can eiter get an emergency appointment (once you get through) or an appointment several weeks later. There is no option for a couple of days later. Seems they only cater for people without jobs (old and infirm?) normal working people are expected to be able to attend at their earliest convenience

Had a minor op through the doctors and was told the surgery wouldn't be for a month due to other minor op bookings. That was OK it was only a minor op. Conversation was roughly...
OK give me any day in a month or so, but not Thursday, I says.
Well name one the secretary asked.
2nd Sept I ask for - not available.
5th Sept - not available.
So I ask them for a day.
The earliest was can do is 8th Sept she offers.
No that's a Thursday, I say.
Well we can can't offer one until the week after.
I don't bloody mind, just give me a day, not a Thursday.

Seriously thinking about just telling them all appointments are emergencies.
Old 20 September 2011, 01:43 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

I'm booked in for 15:15 but let's see... I bet pain killers for a week them come back...

My symptoms: three weeks ago I went for a run and got a pain.. I continued to run for the week as I assumed it was a running pain.
The pain is in my hip area.
Week2: pain comes n goes so I took ibropufen for a week... Pain got worse.
Week 3 pain worse leg going dead and tingling.. Finding it hard to walk at times.. Pain comes and goes.. More coming then going...
Old 20 September 2011, 03:44 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I hate the new set up of my doctors...

My hip has been painful for the last three weeks and as it doesn't seem to want to heal by itself I decided to make an appointment.

So I call at 2pm to be told I have to ring at 8am the next day!

8am Tuesday morning and it's engaged... I keep trying and finally 8:10 an automated voice says press 1 for appointments pres 2 for prescriptions... Being a new mobile I take the phone from my face go to press 1 and my knuckle hits the hang up button FFFFS!!!!!

Back to engaged...

Ow Im though and pass option 1.. got some really crap music. Tenner says they say they are fully booked. I WILL GO MAD IF THIS HAPPENS !!!

But you aren't dying are you?

Btw, often hip pain (especially in younger people) is referred pain from the back
Old 20 September 2011, 04:18 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Indeed, sounds like you may have sciatica. Just rest it for a few days, use a heat pad where it is painful to help loosen things up, Ibuprofen gel rubbed into the affected area is also very good. Aside from that man up

Haven't been to the doctors for well over 10 years, not even registered with one locally since moving. It has to be terminal for me to go
Old 20 September 2011, 07:21 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Not much to do with cost cutting, far more to do with the retards who make an appointment a few days before and then when they feel better (probably because they were never that ill in the first place) don't bother to cancel and just don't turn up.

My doctor told me up to a third of appointments were 'no shows' under the old system whereas now that is less than 2%.

Totally agree
Old 20 September 2011, 07:26 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Well here is what he said... Its not the joint but the muscle. Keep taking pain killers and I'll book you in for physio?

I did wonder if it was back related as I do suffer from a bad bad but currently refuse to take time off work for it as I intend to leave soon and don't want a check to come up that I've been off with a bad back..

Oh n believe me. I do 'man' up this is the second time I've been to the doctors in hmm yeah about 10yrs. First time was from a sting ray sting and I needed to go to continue the antibiotics....
Old 20 September 2011, 09:48 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a drop in clinic?

There's one near our doorstep and it's dare i say it fantastic.

But don't get me started on the muppets at treliske hospital.
Old 20 September 2011, 09:57 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Yeah our walk in centre is fantastic. You call with yur symptoms then they call u back with a time to go down and yur seen straight away... Only been there with broken toes but was very happy with the service.
Old 20 September 2011, 10:07 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Do they tend to sort out spell checker Robsy
Old 20 September 2011, 10:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Doctors are useless for things like that IMHO.

I've had lower back pain for the last 3 years, it is severe enough that I had to give up cycling...which was my full time hobby almost. It's not so bad now but always hurts a bit and sometime flares up makes it hard to sleep.

I had an MRI about 3 years ago, apparently because that was ok I can not possibly have a problem. I never really chased it up more. Saw my GP recently told him I get referred pain down my leg he said 'yeah that is not right then', but because the MRI was ok there was nothing to be done, just do some swimming he said. Tw@t.

The issues is pelvis in my mind, specifically SI joint.

Might chase it up with private medicine one of these days. NHS are just rubbish, pay years of tax and when you have a genuine problem they close the door on you.
Old 20 September 2011, 10:21 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

To the OP. How bad was the pain? Physical injuries can take longer to heal that a couple of weeks. I mean you can have strains, tears etc take 12 weeks plus to heal sometimes depending upon age.
Old 21 September 2011, 04:45 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

seems it is quite topical now
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ly-doctor.html