Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Harvest time

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2011, 11:32 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harvest time

Combined Harvesters, tractors and other assorted vehicles are out in force tonight, still going strong right now and have already woken my daughter up!

Doesn't help when then come only yards from the back of the house.

I would post some pictures but SN is not cooperating.

Does anyone else live next to any carrot crunchers?

Asif

Last edited by AsifScoob; 22 August 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 23 August 2011, 11:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you mean out in the country, yes we do.

The noise is no worse than nonstop traffic all night and the odd two tone going off as well.

We enjoy seeing the animals in the fields and don't mind the occasional bit of mooing etc. We also enjoy a lovely view over the fields and hills and also of Start Bay. Nice to see the wild animals as well.

Can't beat it as far as we are concerned.

Les
Old 23 August 2011, 12:20 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I live on a farm.

We had a new next door neighbour a few years ago.

He was out on a Sunday and stopped a tractor in our lane.

He asked the driver if could give a rest as he had moved to the country for some peace and quiet.

The farmer then placed his crow scarer as close to this guys house as possible and set the timer for 5am

Old 23 August 2011, 12:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No less than he deserved.

We get people moving down to these parts who feel that they have the right to run everything to their own advantage. Blooming cheek...they don't get very far with it anyway.

Les
Old 23 August 2011, 03:42 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

We live in the country and you get used to it. A pain when the dairy farmer brings his herd in and you get stuck waiting, but whatever. We're not in any rush....
Old 23 August 2011, 03:54 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I live in hicksville in the black forest and it seems nearly everyone in my village drives a tractor, some new and some dating back to Christ himself. We also get trucks and combine harvesters up and down the road at all hours. Simple answer is to close the window and get on with it, if yyu moved to the countryside then tuff you have to put up with countryside noises.
Old 23 August 2011, 04:06 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

A girl i was once seeing, who lived with her dad(back when i was about 19-20 i think) had a massive house all custom built and it was situated in the country side, right near farms. and at the back of his house there were loads of fields, and they were either going to be bought by farmers, or by the council to build farms/houses on. Not wanting the noise he went and bought all of the land around him to keep the place peaceful.

The things money can do for you.
Old 23 August 2011, 04:16 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I like living in the sticks but 2 things bug me slightly;

First is having to drive 30 miles for decent fuel and secondly all the mud and **** tractors drag onto the roads.

Its a nightmare trying to keep my car clean.

Apart from that Its great here.
Old 23 August 2011, 04:20 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

In order to get from my house to work I have to drive through "the country" and get stuck behind tractors all of the time, usually whenever I am late for work already , the other week I got stuck behind a combine with it's "spinny round bit" (technical term ) on a trailer being towed by it, it was talking up all of the road and there was about 20 cars behind it !!!!! I think they go out during rush hour just for badness !!!!

windyboy
Old 23 August 2011, 04:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Used to live on a house surrounded by farm land. The noise of tractors, combines, grain dryers, deers, cows and sheep was extremely peaceful and relaxing compared to the constant noise of sirens, airplanes and general traffic in London I can tell you.

In Ireland, the quiet is simillar though you get to hear Curlew and the noise of the surf braking on the beach a mile away. Its so quiet you can sometimes hear the local lads cars across the bay, which is about 5 miles away, but not so loud to be annoying.
Old 23 August 2011, 04:28 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Last year the local police told the farmers that if they had more than three cars behind them being held up they would 'do' them.......Worked very well.
Old 23 August 2011, 06:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tractor drivers are great

You are driving down a quiet lane and then you see a tractor emerging from a field with driver leaning forward to see if road is clear. He sees you coming so pulls out right in front of view as he knows you can now see him - and you don't mess with a large tractor

dl
Old 23 August 2011, 06:37 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

when your the biggest on the road you dont need to move
Old 23 August 2011, 07:51 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
In order to get from my house to work I have to drive through "the country" and get stuck behind tractors all of the time, usually whenever I am late for work already , the other week I got stuck behind a combine with it's "spinny round bit" (technical term ) on a trailer being towed by it, it was talking up all of the road and there was about 20 cars behind it !!!!! I think they go out during rush hour just for badness !!!!

windyboy
at the "spinny round bit" its called the header mate and yes i was in ag contracting for a long time, so sorry we do not mean to hold people up but like eveybody else we got a job to do and little time to do it in. i do agree tho that some could pull over a little more often to let cars pass
Old 23 August 2011, 07:54 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

I love the smell of fresh cow ****,makes you feel alive
Old 23 August 2011, 08:33 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuart69
I love the smell of fresh cow ****,makes you feel alive

I thought it was just me!
Old 23 August 2011, 08:34 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I never forget being a school in a village while the farmer sprayed his slop all over the feilds. god did it stink - I do miss it though.

Can they still harvest in the rain? I assume Yes but on tv its always when its hot n sunny....
Old 23 August 2011, 08:58 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
I thought it was just me!
We call it spreading happiness

I dont mind hen muck either,but draw the line at pig shart
Old 23 August 2011, 09:00 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

no you can't harvest when wet mate as the moisture content of the grain go's up to high, also the straw (stalks) will not flow through the machine nice and smooth so it blocks them up.
Old 23 August 2011, 09:29 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b road blaster
no you can't harvest when wet mate as the moisture content of the grain go's up to high, also the straw (stalks) will not flow through the machine nice and smooth so it blocks them up.
It has been chucking it down here, but I suspect that they used the small respite in the weather to crack on with it. I think they finished about 1am!
Old 23 August 2011, 09:37 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

it has been known to cut all night if its unusally hot but normaly by around midnight it gets to damp, so as you say they were proberly on the last bit and thought bugger it carry on.
Old 23 August 2011, 09:42 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Funny thing is that I live in the middle of West London!

I didn't ask for this! LOL! I am happy with the Heathrow flightpath close by ( I can spot my house from the plane when coming in to land)

I am happy with the tube station only a 5 minute walk away, central London just a short hop away, generally civilisation to hand!

But I am also happy to have a farm 10 yards from my kitchen window, the cows, horses, lakes and gardens of my local park, it's great!

Actually, I would rather be in the country proper, like you guys!

Asif

Last edited by AsifScoob; 23 August 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 23 August 2011, 09:58 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

i can't get on with citys tbh i was a roadie for 14 yrs and most of that was city work and although i loved the job i hated the citys lol lol.but i have allways lived in the county dad was a farm manager brother is a farm manager and when i gave up the trucks i went back into farming.
Old 23 August 2011, 10:16 PM
danny c
Scooby Regular

i live down in devon,got permission to shoot on new land,went out lamping one night,next day farmer rings and says iv had a complaint about the noise last night (we were using 12bores) then he says but dont worry hes new round here and just moved from london,i told him if he dont like the noises that come with living in the country side he should move back to london, and told us to carry on lamping when we wanted!

oh and the night he complained about we were only out until 9 as we were using shotguns and didnt want any hassle for being out to late!!

seems some people want it all!!
Old 23 August 2011, 11:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Radio 4. Farming Today at 5.45 in the morning. You'd learn a lot about farming issues. All interesting stuff. dl
Old 24 August 2011, 12:53 AM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Radio 4. Farming Today at 5.45 in the morning. You'd learn a lot about farming issues. All interesting stuff. dl
I watched Countryfile once. Preferred John Craven doing Newsround.
Old 24 August 2011, 09:28 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Being a city boy but loving the country, I live right on the edge of London, close enough to feel the security of the concrete jungle, but also close enough so that I can get out and worry the sheep ;-). I don't mind people doing their job, however a couple of instances made me wonder if the "locals" realise that people live more closely packed than ever.

At the inlaws (small Herts village - definitely country), my car was parked in their drive, it's the centre of the village with houses around, i.e. not a lone house surround by fields. We could hear shooting, OK happens all the time, but the shot was coming down on the local houses and cars. I don't think it marked my car, but I was concerned.

At my place in Tadworth - we're a mile from the fields and countryside proper - but some people back direct onto fields/woods/countryside. A couple of years a go we saw one of the fields being spread with sillage. Later we could go outside into our garden and smell it. There are hundreds of houses between us and the fields so everyone got the smell and I dread to think what the houses close to that field smelt like. Particularly strong stuff and it was a warm summer so went on for days (maybe weeks)!
Old 24 August 2011, 11:35 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's nice this time of the year as all the fields have the hay bails all rolled up dotted across the landscape, but it also signal the crap English Autumn and Winter will be here soon

I'd rather have a Tractor than the two tones we used to hear all the time when we lived in London.

The only noise we have now are the Chinooks from Odiham, the odd Lynx and Puma and the occassional fast jet as well as the Hot Air Balloons and they dont bother me in the slightest, always enjoy seeing them come over
Old 24 August 2011, 11:43 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

At the end of the day they are just trying to make a living. My mates have been harvesting all week day and night 20 hours a day this last week and have had the dryer going non stop. Been a very long week but they have to do it while they can!

Its only for 1-2 weeks a year and if they didn’t do it the price of your bread would go through the roof!

The other 50 weeks of the year they spend building & racing rally cars! hahaha
Old 24 August 2011, 01:49 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danny c
i live down in devon,got permission to shoot on new land,went out lamping one night,next day farmer rings and says iv had a complaint about the noise last night (we were using 12bores) then he says but dont worry hes new round here and just moved from london,i told him if he dont like the noises that come with living in the country side he should move back to london, and told us to carry on lamping when we wanted!

oh and the night he complained about we were only out until 9 as we were using shotguns and didnt want any hassle for being out to late!!

seems some people want it all!!

I know that conversation. Had 1 similar about loading dead stuff intot he boot of my car and the people opposite complaining as it was "distressing" them. They thought meat came from the supermarket, they sood god corrected on that point.

The smell of muck spreading reminds me of home in Shropshire, and bales all stacked up, make me thing deer season aint far off mmmmmm venison.

Quick Reply: Harvest time