Driving like a smug t****r

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2011, 12:50 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Driving like a smug t****r

Anyone do it?

I think I'm getting to a stage in my life where if I can't beat them I may as well join them. Sort of road rage I guess, but I never get angry. Just make a point of treating drivers with the same ignorance that they treat me.

SUVs for me mainly, Range Rover Sports and X5s as well as Nivaras and L200s...who don't bother stopping at islands and junctions when there is oncomming traffic, pulling out infront of me and then holding up my progress and blocking my view with their big-wheeled hearse.

Now, it could be they didn't see me because of their limo tinted (illegal) front windows, but I'm just happy to label them as ignorant fashion failures addicticed to a lifestyle they can only afford on credit and that has crushed our economy (ok, bit too deep/judgemental, lets move on).

I say this as this morning I was cut up on a roundabout by a private plated limo tint X5 that didn't stop on a roundabout. I made him aware of my presence by making sure his right hand mirrror was filled with the view of my car...because obviously he had vision/awareness problems so I had to play it safe.

Or maybe not, as on the next roundabout (two lane) I went round him in the right lane and got the drop on him on the dual carriageway exit before his heavy arsed diesel auto had chance to shift gear and wind up the turbo. He didn't like that. As now he switched into the right lane and was 1ft off my bumper, and trying to prove the point of whatever point I was trying make to him (no it makes no sense ). One more foot closer and I'll get the scuff resprayed for free (must resist temptation to test my brakes ).

Pity, dual carriageway ends in 30 feet with a speed camera. And I ain't going above 40. So he cuts up the car in the left lane to stay behind me, who then take exception...which then means we have three cars in a row all driving like t*****s.

In the jostling for pole position, third car upsets a fouth car. Now we have four people driving like t*****s. Then five. Then six. Growing exponentially as each car turns off to get to their destination and upsetting someone else.

Before you know it, we have 3million cars in a typical Midlands rush hour all doing the same thing and it all starts with a SUV being driven by a prat and someone else not liking it. I'm not proud.....

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 August 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:00 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been know to drive like a childish **** in response to terrible driving. Its remarkable how much you can get out of a 1.6 twinspark engine when you don't care if its going to blow up!
Old 16 August 2011, 01:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They are out there, a private plate is usually part of the image and a "Thor", god of SUV's driving postion, right arm at 12 o clock, phone usually clamped to head, you let them through and get no acknowledgement, you dont let them through and they would rather collide.

Seen parked in disabled spots, parent/child spots, double yellows creating havoc, ont he pavement causing pedestrians to walk into the road, you see stuff being flung out, they dont indicate unless they want you to get out of the way, they dont do infromational indications, purely selfish, usually stuck at sixty in the outside lane of a dual carriageway.

I thinkits annoying when you yourself make an effort to be courteous and considerate and then its basically f*ck you, no acknoweledgement as you should defer to me as I am more important, I drive an Audi Q7 FFS ! not after a written letter of thanks but just a basic courtesy of being acknowledged as having made an effort so they can get through.

You have to temper it with people potentially having stuff on their minds, sometimes even the best drivers forget and in a big SUV you kind of look a bit of a **** anyway.

I think SUV's attract this type, the bigger and more imposing the better, they like brilliant white and vinyl wraps at the moment.

Last edited by J4CKO; 16 August 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:20 PM
nizcon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday I drove like a tosser.

I was at red lights in the right hand lane with a micra in front of me and five or six cars in the left lane. Needless to say all the cars on the inside lane were long gone before the old git in the micra saw fit to move over.

My issue wasn't with the micra coz I expect them all to be driven badly and slow but as he was indicating to move into the left lane, some Gob****e in an X5 came storming up the inside and undertook us both.

Cue Red Mist.

He needed to be passed but in order for me to do this I had to reach a speed of erm.......

Tossers.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:28 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

My biggest bug bear is motorway drivers who dont pull over from the fast or middle lanes. I cant believe how ignorant people can be just trundling along in the middle lane with nothing in front for 100m +. I make a point of overtaking, indicating and then cut across into the slow lane rather quickly.

I rarely go on the motorway and it annoys the t1ts off me so for anyone commuting on one daily it must be a nightmare.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Good thing is most of the big SUV's are diesel and though they move quite well any half decent Scoob or even my Saab is quicker.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
My biggest bug bear is motorway drivers who dont pull over from the fast or middle lanes. I cant believe how ignorant people can be just trundling along in the middle lane with nothing in front for 100m +. I make a point of overtaking, indicating and then cut across into the slow lane rather quickly.

I rarely go on the motorway and it annoys the t1ts off me so for anyone commuting on one daily it must be a nightmare.
Very annoying, usually done inadvertently but its just selfish, bad driving by those only interested in their own journey, not how it affects anyone else. almost worth the satisfaction when you manage to get past one though, I use the roundabouts on the A34 bypass for sneaky undertakes.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:36 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Speaking of bad drivers I saw a taxi driver today, weaving in and of lanes, not indicating, driving between lanes. No discipline at all, speeding, hard braking.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:39 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The worse one is the X6. Seems to be driven by middle aged boorish type blokes who like to bully weaker people. I knew this when one tailgated me in Oz on a ramp onto a freeway, about 2 feet behind and WOT to my WOT. It was pretty fast to be fair. I hope I burned his front bar with my flamage.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Good thing is most of the big SUV's are diesel and though they move quite well any half decent Scoob or even my Saab is quicker.

And they don't handle as well as a good saloon counterpart.

As Mr X3 3.0M sport found out on a tight/fast bend when bothering my rear bumper whilst I was driving a e39 530. Same engine.....but I have the handling advantage with over 100kg less weight plus lower COG .

I think he crapped himself

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 August 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:52 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

TBH there are lots of people driving aggressively in big SUV's around my way. They don't lift off in corners and I think I am often more cautious in my Skyline and that has HKS coilovers, and wide Toyo Proxes on it. They basically drive the car like it is a Playstation game.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:52 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't get it so much in my impreza but these big suv's cut me up all the time when I'm driving my girlfriends saxo. I had a white range rover try to overtake me on solid white lines on the way to Truro the other day, then sat on my bumper when he was forced to abort his overtake due to oncoming traffic. He gets out at the lights and accuses me of trying to kill his 2 children by speeding up when he tried to overtake

The bloke was about 5ft4, if he did not have his children in the back I'd have been tempted to give him a slap.
Old 16 August 2011, 01:58 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

aren't you guys equally as bad for getting irritated at their bad driving and, subsequently, showing them up in some way?!

I like to make progress on the motorway and i do get irritated when people sit on my rear bumper knowing full well there's a stream of traffic preventing me from my desired speed.

Audis are the worst for me, but i tend to get out the way and let them go to be honest.

Another is when the whole motorway virtually, and sometimes dangerously, slows because there's a Traffic car doing 65mph.
Old 16 August 2011, 02:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

When I had my last MK2 Golf GTI I had a dice with a Merc ML320, the old style, it was quicker than the Golf but not by much, he got past but baulked by traffic and then the road opened our and for some reason, despite proving he was mariginally faster he had to get past again, took a fair distance and he did indeed get in front but the tool didnt leave enough space to slow down for the rounabout, I had a Golf GTI on lowered, stiffened suspension and nice sticky Yokohamas and I slowed down as I thought I was going too fast to sensibly take the roundabout, his victory was short lived as he hit the roundabout with his right hand side and nearly stuck it on its roof, debris everywhere, he slowed right down, I guess he needed to get the tracking done after that

Agree with TDW on the X6, ok, sure its lovely but nothing shouts I am a **** any louder, they either are Alpha male types with no sense of humour or got bullied at school, I personally never want to look like an Essex Confidence trickster, showy gangster or utter tool, in most places with any class, turning up in one of those is like rocking up with your **** hanging out of an Elvis suit, ffs get a Range Rover, and none of that Sport nonesense and avoid being a social pariah.
Old 16 August 2011, 02:10 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic

heh i must admit i do this as well (not the lane hogging :P the overtaking then cutting back to the slow lane)
Old 16 August 2011, 02:11 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

the X6, ok, sure its lovely but nothing shouts I am a **** any louder,
**** me, the X6 is one ugly vehicle. BMW should supply a Labrador to anyone who buys one. The 5 series GT is another car for the blind.

Audi drivers are the biggest ***** on the road. No arguing with that.
Old 16 August 2011, 02:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ChefDude
aren't you guys equally as bad for getting irritated at their bad driving and, subsequently, showing them up in some way?!
You are quite right. Two wrongs don't make a right. But after nearly fifteen years of this my tolerance has worn thin.

Like when a car (typically SUV) tries to assume right of way by attempting to go round a parked car onto the wrong side of the road when its not safe to do so.....and me calling their bluff. Its not right, but I'm past caring these days.

Another is when the whole motorway virtually, and sometimes dangerously, slows because there's a Traffic car doing 65mph.
Usually just traffic wombles and not Police.
Old 16 August 2011, 02:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
**** me, the X6 is one ugly vehicle. BMW should supply a Labrador to anyone who buys one. The 5 series GT is another car for the blind.

Audi drivers are the biggest ***** on the road. No arguing with that.
That is a big Clarksonism, but I maintain he does come on car forums for info and I was saying that before he did ! and it is fairly accurate, not all are like that but Audi kind of used to be a more stylish German Volvo alternative, akin to a Saab in terms of a choice with the 4wd being a deciding factor for a lot of people but they went all thrusty and aggressive say 10 years ago, remember the advert where the BMW type bloke said "it wasnt for him, TAXI !", this is when it turned as it was obviously for him after all.

i think it is as they are a bit "premium" people tend to think that makes them special and slightly superior, also anythign big and ugly like an X6 is very obvious and even when behaving they rankle a bit, it isnt jealousy, if we wanted something like that we could but not interested in them one bit, or the suburban one upmanship that is going on down our road, current "winner" has 2 RR Sports, one white, one black which makes it look like a football teams car park, had a proper RR before in a nice green colour, very classy, the new ones just dont look the same.
Old 16 August 2011, 02:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I like to drive fast when I can and when I'm in what I consider to be a safe place to do it ie most of Wales. But no I don't drive like a tosser any time in fact my day to day driving is probably slower and more reserved now than it has ever been. It's cos I'm getting old though.

Chip

Last edited by Chip; 16 August 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 16 August 2011, 03:13 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My biggest hate is people who don't merge into a lane on the motorway/duel carriageway when one is being closed. Fair enough, some might not have seen the signs straight away, but it's the ones that try to go right to the end and miss the whole queue that p*ss me off. I NEVER let them in.

Same with people who try to undertake when you're doing at least 70 and are stuck behind someone else. I always speed up to close the gap they could get in.

Other than that, I'm pretty chilled on the road. Life's too short to be permanently raging, which is what you would be if you got worked up over every muppet. At least half the people on the road must regularly do something stupid that means others are disadvantaged or even put in danger by them. I like to give my car a thrashing at times (out in the country) but I like to think it's well-judged, and it doesn't mean I'm not courteous towards other drivers.

You can't drive 100 yards in a busy town/city without at least one person doing something stupid.
Old 16 August 2011, 03:16 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I thought my l200 was big, but having recently been to the good old USA, I am getting the equivalent yank truck sent over. Now that is big.
Old 16 August 2011, 03:17 PM
New_scooby_04

I tend not to get too annoyed at people these days: I take a assume the person driving the car in front is a plonker untill they demonstrate otherwise!

Problem with retaliating is that if the police saw you, they'd assume you were racing and then its potentially goodbye licence!!

Life's to short: you'll keep your no-claims longer than they will.....assuming they've bothered to insure the car (something to consider)!
Old 16 August 2011, 03:24 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I hate middle lane hoggers!

I'm the same, move over 2 lanes, over take then cut across 2 lanes with miles ahead of empty road. I just don't get it...
Old 16 August 2011, 03:35 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
My biggest hate is people who don't merge into a lane on the motorway/duel carriageway when one is being closed. Fair enough, some might not have seen the signs straight away, but it's the ones that try to go right to the end and miss the whole queue that p*ss me off.
Saw a great example of this the other week on my way to the Lakes. It was obvious there had been an accident as the traffic was crawling, then I started seeing the red 'X' on the overhead signs. Silly me thought that meant the lane was closed but not according to the dozens and dozens of people who happily carried on in those two lanes.
Eventually they get near to the front of their lane and all start trying to get into the one remaining open lane but of course no one wants to let them in. If everyone had started moving over a couple of miles back it wouldn't have caused such chaos, ultimately resulting in the ambulance struggling to get past all the stationary cars blocking the closed lanes.
Absolute f'in muppets who are obviously too important to have to wait. I bet if you asked them why they would just answer 'because the car in front was doing it'

My favourite trick is watching the alpha males at the traffic lights, they see a woman in an Impreza (obviously don't like the challenge to their masculinity) and are determind they are going to win the race to be off first.
If they look particularly keen I like to rev the engine a bit to wind them up and make sure they know I'm as game as them....and then let them tear off while I just pootle along as if I've all the time in the world
Old 16 August 2011, 03:42 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_CzPD2cYs
Old 16 August 2011, 04:03 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

i saw that this morning. i thought the camera guy was going to get clocked for sure!
Old 16 August 2011, 04:03 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Anyone do it?

I think I'm getting to a stage in my life where if I can't beat them I may as well join them. Sort of road rage I guess, but I never get angry. Just myle they can only afford on credit and that has crushed our economy (ok, bit to
In the jostling for pole position, third car ups............................................... .................................................. .................................................. Midlands rush hour all doing the same thing and it all starts with a SUV being driven by a prat and someone else not liking it. I'm not proud.....

Funny as hell,well written
Old 16 August 2011, 04:08 PM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Have to agree with the motorway stuff, I`m guilty of doing the cutting across both lanes in front of a middle lane hogger, and closing the gap when someone undertakes because i`m stuck in traffic, shouldn`t do I know, but it happens.

As an interesting side note, my ladys car was in a bump and is away being repaired (actually a prime example of bad driving on the part of someone in a flash car not paying attention, but thats another story...) But we got a nice courtesey car as it was not our fault, a Jaguar XF, and I have to say I have never been treated with this much respect on the road in all the years i`ve been driving! People move over, let you out of junctions, let you through past parked cars etc, it`s scarey. I never used to go for the "people treat you differently by what you are driving" theory, I stand corrected!
Old 16 August 2011, 04:11 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
My biggest hate is people who don't merge into a lane on the motorway/duel carriageway when one is being closed. Fair enough, some might not have seen the signs straight away, but it's the ones that try to go right to the end and miss the whole queue that p*ss me off. I NEVER let them in.
Read this, and inwardly digest - then all your stress will disappear. Three simple words:

MERGE IN TURN.

It's what you're supposed to do, and, Glesga - you're in the wrong.

There is absolutely no point in traffic queueing in a single lane for a mile when two lanes are available.
Old 16 August 2011, 04:47 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Recently the most irritating thing is old people in their econoboxes on roundabouts or gradients. Evey mother clucking time they are either in the wrong lane, or riding the clutch, letting it roll back. This morning I had some old **** roll back and break only inches away from my bumper. Gave him the horn and the full beams, he was still totally unaware of what had happened. Then he decided that he would sit in the 'fast lane' doing 60mph.

Quick Reply: Driving like a smug t****r