Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UK Income Tax to start reducing.

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2011, 03:20 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up UK Income Tax to start reducing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14515518

Good news, if you're on over £150k. Gorgeous George looking after his bankster friends again.

Why won't George ask the Treasury to examine whether the tax take from fuel duty is reducing?

"MP ASKS MORE FUEL PRICE QUESTIONS TO THE LEADER OF THE HOUSE OF COMMONS
Robert Halfon(Harlow) (Con):May we have a debate on the Laffer curve and petrol taxes, as recent figures show that the Treasury received £637 million less in revenue from petrol taxes than in the equivalent period three years ago?"
Old 13 August 2011, 03:40 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Halfon is a good MP stands up for his voters rather than towing the party line
Old 13 August 2011, 04:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

inevitable

see post 38 in the Underclass thread

if you want to afford the current petrol prices -- get a better job, simples
Old 13 August 2011, 04:40 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a jacko song springs to mind
ALL I WANNA SAY IS THAT THEY DON'T REARLY CARE ABOUT US
Old 13 August 2011, 05:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan

Good news, if you're on over £150k. Gorgeous George looking after his bankster friends again.

Why won't George ask the Treasury to examine whether the tax take from fuel duty is reducing?

Robert Halfon(Harlow) (Con):May we have a debate on the Laffer curve and petrol taxes, as recent figures show that the Treasury received £637 million less in revenue from petrol taxes than in the equivalent period three years ago?"
Osborne is a lying slimy scumbag and we just let him get away with it. No one has ever questioned him on his pledage about petrol prices. Is he untoucahbale or something? As for his skills as a chancellor... feckwit in the extreme!
Old 13 August 2011, 08:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more counterproductive tax for many which puts a glass ceiling on the amount many are prepared to work is the loss of personal allowance at £2 per £1 earned between £100k and £112k. This gives a marginal rate of income tax and national insurance of 62% I understand.

Think of it this way, if I can earn £500 to work another day a week, but I only take home £190 of it, and then have to pay a tradesman £300 a day including VAT (and that is cheap), am I going to bother to go to work to do what I do best and employ a tradesman, or am I going to stay at home and DIY? If the tax was 42% then I could just about work for a day and afford to pay a tradesman to do work for me for a day...
Old 13 August 2011, 10:35 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

They're very unlikely to reduce fuel tax fella ... brings in billions & hits millions of people rather than the £150k tax which hits almost no one & probably brings in **** all compared to fuel tax.

TX.

PS

The reduction in fuel tax income will be cos people aren't stupid ... price goes up people use less of it

Last edited by Terminator X; 13 August 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 13 August 2011, 10:42 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Just given up with everything just lately.

just had letter saying gas going up 18% electric 11%.Our bills will be £200 plus per month

Thanks Gordon Brown.In fact,where are you hiding Gordon? Blame it all on you.

And for goodness sake,please no one defend that man and give a myriad of other reasons why the world is so f***ked up now.Ter-wat

could have kept it under control,but no.Wanted to look good

Income tax,vat,petrol prices,food.It's all going nuts
Old 13 August 2011, 10:47 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1

just had letter saying gas going up 18% electric 11%.Our bills will be £200 plus per month

And for goodness sake,please no one defend that man and give a myriad of other reasons why the world is so f***ked up now.Ter-wat

Serious question, how do you see the fuel prices that are dictated to us by private companies being the fault of Gordon Brown?
Old 13 August 2011, 10:49 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

You're blaming the problems of the WORLD on Gordon Brown? Just how much power and influence do you think he has?
Old 13 August 2011, 10:49 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Serious question, how do you see the fuel prices that are dictated to us by private companies being the fault of Gordon Brown?
Don't think I said that...
Old 13 August 2011, 10:55 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

You're blaming the problems of the WORLD on Gordon Brown? Just how much power and influence do you think he has?
Most countries,including those acroos the pond followed a pathetic ridiculous course of action.

Let house prices go mad,think your economy is doing brilliantly well and everyone gets in to spend crazy mode.

Flipping stupid.What a mess (and Europe and America) are in because of silly Chancellors
Old 13 August 2011, 10:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Don't think I said that...
How else are we meant to take this:

Old 13 August 2011, 11:02 PM
Caged "R"
Scooby Regular

I know a guy who moved to Australia 10 years ago & now works for a gas company. Apparently British Gas sold most of their supplies of our gas & has bought his company out.
They are now shipping gas over from Australia to the UK in pressurised container ships..
Old 13 August 2011, 11:08 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

How else are we meant to take this:

Err..just the last sentence was a general moan?

presume you are a Gordon Fan?
Old 13 August 2011, 11:13 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

*Sigh* Did you even read the first few paragraphs? People move abroad if taxes are too high, or it becomes worthwhile to use avoidance schemes, therefore total take goes down. Hence putting it back to 40% will INCREASE revenues. Surely you want that? Or are you another economically illiterate idiot?
Old 14 August 2011, 01:55 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Err..just the last sentence was a general moan?

presume you are a Gordon Fan?
Not at all, can't stand him or any politician to be frank. However as much damage as he and his party did to the country we would be foolish to blame everything on him as that leads to complacency.

Energy prices are set by the companies who generate the various forms of energy and those are all private companies now with shareholders to consider. They shoudn't be private compnaies of course, but that is a whole other can of worms.
Old 14 August 2011, 02:02 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
*Sigh* Did you even read the first few paragraphs? People move abroad if taxes are too high, or it becomes worthwhile to use avoidance schemes, therefore total take goes down. Hence putting it back to 40% will INCREASE revenues. Surely you want that? Or are you another economically illiterate idiot?
I think you are spectacularly missing the point he is making.

The chancellor is asking if the higher rate of tax means more people avoid paying it and hence it realises less revenue than before it was introduced with vew to abolishing it if that is the case.

What Flightman is saying is that if that is good enough for the high rate tax payers then it should be good enough for the petrol buyers as the revenue from petrol has dropped from 3 years ago as not as many people use their cars now due to the higher prices.

A juxtaposition if you will, and a very good one!
Old 14 August 2011, 10:03 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

They shoudn't be private compnaies of course, but that is a whole other can of worms.
Why not? All of the utility companies are a damn site more efficient now that they are private compared to when they were nationalised. The waste then was astonishing.

Chip
Old 14 August 2011, 10:04 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh come on. I'm over here in France, have been for three months.

French petrol prices pretty much mirror the price of crude, they go up and down as much as €0.06 a litre in a day.

What are they doing in the UK? Yep, rising and rising.

And what EXACTLY are our government doing about it? Yep, nowt.

What they could do: A new tax on the fuel companies which comes in once the price of petrol at the forecourt goes x% above the price of crude. THAT would sharpen the petrol companies' minds.
Old 14 August 2011, 10:13 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Why not? All of the utility companies are a damn site more efficient now that they are private compared to when they were nationalised. The waste then was astonishing.

Chip
Because they are essential services not a commodity to be profiteered from.

This illusion of efficiency makes me laugh too. BT for instance invest far less in R&D than they did as a nationalised industry. More efficient? On paper yes. Future prospects? Britain is being left behind.

Improvements to the water network are down to essential repairs and improvements only with no serious investment in the future despite what the glossy brochures tell you. Shareholders first, customers second... not the way essential services should be!

Last edited by f1_fan; 14 August 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 14 August 2011, 10:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

French petrol prices pretty much mirror the price of crude, they go up and down as much as €0.06 a litre in a day.

What they could do: A new tax on the fuel companies which comes in once the price of petrol at the forecourt goes x% above the price of crude. THAT would sharpen the petrol companies' minds.
Hang on a sec, I was referring to Gordon Brown being responsible for the recent rise in electric and gas. That seemed to be the implication of the original post. Clearly not the case.

I could not agree with you more as regards petrol prices, please see my myriad of posts pointing out what they lying scumbag Osborne said in April about watching them like a hawk and not letting exactly what is happening happen! Of course as the Tories are the darlings of most of Scoobynet everyone ignores it whereas if had been Brown they would be creating Voodoo dolls of him and sticking pins in it. The stupidity of nailing your colours to the mast of one political party I guess and not realising they are all lying greedy self serving scum!

See my post here for example:

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=10
Old 14 August 2011, 10:26 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Caged "R"
They are now shipping gas over from Australia to the UK in pressurised container ships..
As far as I am aware gas is not imported into the UK from Aus. And any gas imported by ship is liquified and not pressurised. If it was pressureised and fed into the system it would only last a few hours at most.

Chip

Last edited by Chip; 14 August 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 14 August 2011, 10:34 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

This illusion of efficiency makes me laugh too. BT for instance invest far less in R&D than they did as a nationalised industry. More efficient? On paper yes. Future prospects? Britain is being left behind.

Improvements to the water network are down to essential repairs and improvements only with no serious investment in the future despite what the glossy brochures tell you. Shareholders first, customers second... not the way essential services should be!
When BT was privatised it was the only telecoms company around. Now there are many and a lot of the R&D comes from them.

As for the water industry there has been massive investement in new pipelines and domestic services. In fact our local water company is a non profit making organisation.

Likewise the gas industry in which I worked for 33 years, has also had massive investment in annually replacing 1000s of miles of mains and services and the upgrading of the NTS.

Chip
Old 14 August 2011, 11:04 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Another, besides me ?

I agree that the 50 percent rate needs to go, people who are earning that kind of money are already paying a LOT of tax, if it is barely raising any revenue and tipping people into creative accounting then it is counter productive.

Also, people are using their cars less so the tax take on fuel is actually dropping off, so potentially reducing duty would raise revenue (and traffic), people would use their cars more and go places, where they would spend money as they are actually there and not sat at home fretting plus they feel a bit better off, they buy stuff and use services, would be a real leap of faith for Osborne, maybe the figures don't add up and maybe the logic is flawed but it makes sense in my "Economically Illiterate" brain

One thing I don't think we will agree on is the moral obligation to pay tax, 126 Billion has been lost in taxation to companies that base themselves in Monaco, I can see your counter arguments but I cant get my head round the like of Phillip Green avoiding 300 Million in tax, 700 Million not enough ? I think I will delve deeper, there are many very rich individuals doing this, country is struggling for money and its being leeched away offshore, wouldnt probably put us back in the black but it would be a start.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...nancial-crisis

Last edited by J4CKO; 14 August 2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 14 August 2011, 11:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Do you think part of the answer might be to make it far more difficult to avoid paying tax. If he reduced the 50p rate they would still continue to avoid paying tax anyway.

Les
Old 14 August 2011, 11:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

When I see a garage in Torquay selling it for £1.31.9 a litre, then that is a strong indication to me what is happening!

Les
Old 14 August 2011, 01:42 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, the government should provide them to everyone for free. That would teach the big bad corporations that steal from us all in the evil pursuit of profit.

Since there is no basis to the notion that the market is more efficient in the long run than the government, lets also get the government to provide consumer goods and anything else we need. They could make us cars too, since they are also bound to have much better future prospects.

It's rather nice sitting typing this on my essential internet connection on a laptop powered by my essential electricity right now. Say, I hope I'm still able to afford it when I'm subsidising the profligate use of others.

Actually I've just decided it is quite essential that my internet is much faster than it currently is. Time to tap those tax payers for an upgrade me thinks! I'll use some excuse like "kids would be able to learn more easily" or "we are being left behind by other countries" - and then let nationalism and the fallacious idea that global economics is a zero sum game do the rest.

Heating oil - "without a discount my children will not be able to have 20 minutes in the shower every day, which I feel is a basic necessity and right in this day and age". Time for another price reduction!

"Hang on a minute though... my taxes are going through the roof!" "The government needs to take action to ensure that I have more of my income left to spend after tax. It must lower the price of essential services immediately!"

Can you guess what happens to disposable income next?

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 14 August 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 14 August 2011, 01:48 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
Do you think part of the answer might be to make it far more difficult to avoid paying tax. If he reduced the 50p rate they would still continue to avoid paying tax anyway.

Les
They might or they might not, but you would at least know there's less incentive for them to do so.
Old 14 August 2011, 01:58 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
I agree, the government should provide them to everyone for free. That would teach the big bad corporations that steal from us all in the evil pursuit of profit.

Since there is no basis to the notion that the market is more efficient in the long run than the government, lets also get the government to provide consumer goods and anything else we need. They could make us cars too, since they are also bound to have much better future prospects.

It's rather nice sitting typing this on my essential internet connection on a laptop powered by my essential electricity right now. Say, I hope I'm still able to afford it when I'm subsidising the profligate use of others.

Actually I've just decided it is quite essential that my internet is much faster than it currently is. Time to tap those tax payers for an upgrade me thinks! I'll use some excuse like "kids would be able to learn more easily" or "we are being left behind by other countries" - and then let nationalism and the fallacious idea that global economics is a zero sum game do the rest.

Heating oil - "without a discount my children will not be able to have 20 minutes in the shower every day, which I feel is a basic necessity and right in this day and age". Time for another price reduction!

"Hang on a minute though... my taxes are going through the roof!" "The government needs to take action to ensure that I have more of my income left to spend after tax. It must lower the price of essential services immediately!"

Can you guess what happens to disposable income next?
You are better than that, try again.

Quick Reply: UK Income Tax to start reducing.