Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile phones and sim cards?????

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2002, 09:40 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I buy an 8310 on a T2 (one to one) contract will my wifes Vodafone pay as you go sim card work in it? I know it works in my 8210 but that's a Vodafone contract phone. Similarly will a T2 sim card work in my 8210 - Vodafone.

Thanks
Mike
Old 23 April 2002, 09:56 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mike
It's not the sims that cause the problem it's the phones!
Some networks lock the phones for certain frequencies - Vodafone's tend to work on all frequencies because they use them all (I know because I work for them!).
It would depend on whether one-to-one have locked the phone frequency that they use on their network (I know Orange do).
The network provider will usually unlock a phone for a large fee! Although you can normally find other places that will do it for a tenner).
Hope this helps!

Mrs H
Old 23 April 2002, 10:34 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

It won't work, because phones are normally locked to the network that sold you the phone. This is because the phones are subsidised in the first place (lots for contract, less for PAYG) with the money being re-couped as you make calls.

The frequencies (900MHz and 1800Mhz in the UK/Europe) don't matter, as just about every phone is dual-band these days. The US, just to be different, use 1900MHz for which a rarer tri-band phone is needed.

I believe that you can get phones un-locked in some "shops", so that you can use them on any network, but beware that recent initiatives to try to prevent phone theft may stop/disable you at some time in the future.

mb
Old 23 April 2002, 11:19 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

Red face

one-2-one use the 1800 frequency.
Vodafone use 900 as their main frequency but over the last couple of years have also been trialing the 1800 frequency in certain areas (although this isn't publicised!). All sims should work in a Vodafone phone (if it was bought in the last couple of years & it's a dual band one).
Theoretically, if you put the Vodafone sim into the one-2-one phone it should work but at reduced coverage (although I haven't tried it myself!) & I'm not sure of all the areas that it was being tested in (although they did tend to be in highly populated areas!)
As I said, you could probably get it unlocked anyway - & the initiatives to reduce phone theft are based around the IMEI number of the phone, not the frequency they transmit on.

Mrs H
(Vodafone employee!)

[Edited by Huxley Chick - 4/24/2002 12:11:51 AM]
Old 24 April 2002, 09:45 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
so...if your phone is stolen and you give the police/network supplier the IMEI number can they..

A. Trace the phone
B. Block it's use
C. Arrest the scum

As I have had a mobile stolen recently I is just interested....

[Edited by Dr Hu - 4/24/2002 9:47:47 AM]
Old 24 April 2002, 04:07 PM
Huxley Chick
Scooby Regular

Wink

yes, if your phone gets stolen the network supplier could
A: know where your phone is if it's being used (not a precise location just it's general location, eg Manchester!)
B: block the phones use by using the IMEI number - this number is supposed to be unique but there have been cases of duplicate numbers! & block the SIM from being used (this should happen anyway if you report it stolen!)
C: No chance - come on, what do you expect!!!

Please note I said 'could' as they may not be willing to do it even when it's within their capabilities!!!

The joys of mobile communications!!!

Mrs H

[Edited by Huxley Chick - 4/24/2002 6:54:06 PM]