Talktalk email on iPhone?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2011, 10:26 AM
Rheid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talktalk email on iPhone?

Hoping somebody might be able to help with this. ^^^

From my understanding there are 2 options, either use the talktalk webmail service or configure the iphone to connect direct to the server.

Is there a way to configure things so that sent and received email on the iphone will also appear in Windows Mail on my laptop?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

TIA, Neil
Old 26 July 2011, 10:32 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

put talk talk email in the rubbish, set up a gmail account import your talk talk email and carry on.
Old 26 July 2011, 10:43 AM
Rheid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
put talk talk email in the rubbish, set up a gmail account import your talk talk email and carry on.
Errr, ok. Could you expand on that please? This is not my area so I need baby steps!

Thanks, Neil
Old 26 July 2011, 12:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Go to www.gmail.com and sign up, come back for the next step.

Mods feel free to move this to Computer Related.
Old 26 July 2011, 02:23 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Can you just not set the email up as you would formally, surely you have an email client on your iphone? then all you need to do is tick thebox.that says leave copy of email on server whendeleted.off phone and use your laptop to delete emails.

or go down the imap route.

i have done the first option on my android :-)
Old 26 July 2011, 02:27 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You can, but any reason to stop using an email address from your ISP is a good reason.

Better to set up a gmail account, give gmail your talk talk details, then have a better experience whatever device you use.
Old 26 July 2011, 02:32 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Why people use their ISP emails is a mystery.
Old 26 July 2011, 02:44 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I have got one with virgin never even opened it wonder whats inside?

Probably similar to my MSN account that has about 7000 unread emails in it...

If you run gmail and put your talk talk emails details in you can tag the talk talk emails with a label so you can see them easily, at a guess most of the emails will be junk.
Old 26 July 2011, 02:46 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Talk Talk dont allow relaying whether you're authenticated or not. So Use a Gmail account as suggested above or go with another ISP that does support relaying for authenticated users.

Not sure why people are so against ISP mail?
I understand the issue with a sh*te ISP like Talk Talk but BT for example are very good.

That said I dont use any as I have my own exchange server at home lol.
Old 26 July 2011, 03:10 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

ISP emails you're stuck with them, then you lose it if you change providers
Old 26 July 2011, 04:22 PM
Rheid
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies fellas - some of which I understand and some which I don't. As I said earlier, this is not my area at all.

One major point is that I can't really change my ISP/email address as it's primarily for business use and logistically it would be a nightmare.

A few specific questions:

So, from what you're saying, if I stick with talktalk then there is no way to configure things so that emails sent from iphone will also appear in sent items in Windows Mail on my laptop?

Would it be possible to set up a gmail account and then a set up a forwarder from talktalk? Not sure if mail forwarding is even an option with tt.

Is there an email size limit with gmail?

How would IMAP help? TBH I don't even know what IMAP is but guessing it's an alternative to POP3?

Thanks again for your input and help - just wish I knew more about this topic!

Neil.
Old 26 July 2011, 05:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Set up the Gmail account then you can tell Gmail to collect your emails from Talk Talk.

Your guess is right, IMAP is a way of collecting mail that makes it easy to keep multiple devices in sync. If you read a mail on one device it'll be read on the others, if you reply to a mail on one account that reply will be in your sent mail on other devices, you get the idea.

Here are the instruction for collecting your mail with Gmail. As you can see you can still reply as if from Talk Talk should you choose.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=21289
Old 26 July 2011, 06:15 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
ISP emails you're stuck with them, then you lose it if you change providers
Easily solved with a £5.99 domain name and forwarding
Old 26 July 2011, 06:22 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by dazdavies
Easily solved with a £5.99 domain name and forwarding
Google wins there as well. For $10 a year you get your own domain and all of Google's Business Apps all set up and running.

I think you get 20 users for that tenner, bit of a shame as you used to get 200.

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new
Old 26 July 2011, 07:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Do yourself a favour and switch to IMAP, you're living in the dark ages. There is no advantage to using POP mail.
Old 26 July 2011, 07:44 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I have my own domain and all important emails go through that plus I get unlimited accounts so can create special ones too lol.

My Bt one is used for less important things and my hotmail one for junk
Old 26 July 2011, 07:51 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Google wins there as well. For $10 a year you get your own domain and all of Google's Business Apps all set up and running.

I think you get 20 users for that tenner, bit of a shame as you used to get 200.

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/domain/new
Imap becomes a pain in the *** with google Especially with a HTC that doesn't allow you to keep mail on the server when using IMAP. Which is ok unless you want to keep copies of all mail on your desktop. This was a problem I had with a client recently.

You cant beat your own domain name for mail, you can have unlimted forwarders to unlimted addresses and it costs peanuts.

Google is ok but it does have its limitations. It's a get by for people who dont know a better way of doing things IMHO.
Old 26 July 2011, 07:55 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Imap becomes a pain in the *** with google Especially with a HTC that doesn't allow you to keep mail on the server when using IMAP. Which is ok unless you want to keep copies of all mail on your desktop. This was a problem I had with a client recently.

You cant beat your own domain name for mail, you can have unlimted forwarders to unlimted addresses and it costs peanuts.

Google is ok but it does have its limitations. It's a get by for people who dont know a better way of doing things IMHO.
I have imap working fine from google on a htc with one of my own domains maybe you didnt set it up correctly?, what are these limitations with using google? As I wa nt to knkw what im missing out on?
Old 26 July 2011, 08:12 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

I couldnt set up this particular HTC phone in the way my client wanted.

Basically no matter which way I tried I couldnt get the phone to leave a copy of any retrieved mail on the server and the desktop would not have copies of mail sent from the phone. Thus enabling the desktop keep copies of all mail sent and recieved whether it was sent by phone or desktop. This client was on talk talk first which wouldnt allow him to send any email from his phone using the Talk Talk account., Then I tried google and had the synchronising issue. I resolved the whole issue by setting up a mail box with the people I buy domains from (123-reg). His phone email and desktop email now work as he wanted ie any changes on desktop are refelcted on the phone and vice versa.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You're missing out on nothing. Take a look at www.gonegoogle.com thousands of schools, government agencies and big businesses don't agree with Daz. Oh and Google seem to get by using it.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:18 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Daz, you should have asked on here. The behaviour that your client requested is standard and handled by pretty much every mail client worth it's salt.

Last edited by JackClark; 26 July 2011 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Wrong domain company slated.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:40 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Jack I've no interest in a pissing competition here as I've been an IT professional for quite some years now and am confident in my abilities / knowledge in this arena .

The limitations I experienced werent down to google alone but more a combintion of Google and HTC pared together. I cant be arsed to go into detail but the problem was down to a conflict in the options the HTC software gave you and the options available in GMails control panel particularly in relation to the Forwarding POP/Imap options (option two in pop settings for one).

The long and short of it was that when using GMail my client could not be 100% sure that he had copies of all emails he either sent or recieved which was crucial to him.

Using a method that didn't have the restrictions that this combination had resolved the issue for him. I've stayed away from Gmail for business users since.

Any business worth their salt has their own email provision such has Exchange and wont need to use things such as google, hotmail and yahoo etc. Dare I mention company wide Synchonised Calanders.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:53 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Not a pissing competition but you shouldn't disregard options for your customers that you clearly don't fully understand. Company wide synchronised calendars are standard with Google apps as are contacts and document sharing amongst other things. When thinking of Google apps, think about what Google use for business including their mobile operating system.
Old 26 July 2011, 08:53 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

cough!

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/b.../calendar.html
Old 26 July 2011, 09:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_a-gn0dYmk
Old 26 July 2011, 09:30 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

You're proper condescending I'll give you that. There's nothing to not understand it simply didn't work.

Just to give you an idea of what I do. I manage an exchange infrastructure for a company that has 29,000 employees in 31 countries. These are serviced by one large Exchange Environment. So you can be sure I've got some knowledge in this area .

Anyway the problem in question wasnt anything to do with exchange it was for a friend who has his own business and the GMail / HTC combo didnt do what he wanted. A mail box provided by 123 -reg did. This was simply because it didnt have the restrictions on it that G-mail did. That's all there was to it. Google may be the best thing ever (in your eyes) but it fell short of the mark here and no amount google expertise would have got the problem solved.

I think I've seen a few of your posts where if someone 's opinion differs from yours you just wont accept it. I'll leave it there as I really do have better things to do than have this futile discussion.
Old 26 July 2011, 09:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You can leave it there if you like Daz, but as someone who regularly implements Google Apps for businesses I'd like to make it clear that anything that can be done with a Mailbox provided by 123.reg can be done by Gmail and Google apps. I can't allow people to get the wrong idea, it may affect my business, hope you understand.

One thing that could steer me in another direction would be if this was an old HTC phone running Windows Mobile, that operating system couldn't work with itself. The notion that Gmail won't work with Android, both Google products is very, very, very unlikely. If that is the case then accept my apologies, a mention of Windows would have saved a lot of typing.
Old 26 July 2011, 09:50 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

This was simply because it didnt have the restrictions on it that G-mail did. T
ignore jack if you want but please tell me what restrictions google has, I know what restrictions 123-reg has but would like to know where google falls short?
Old 26 July 2011, 10:30 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

You first, tell me what restrictions you've got with 123 reg that cant be over come very easily. Once I've blown that out of the water I'll give you the chance to do the same with my google issue

Quick Reply: Talktalk email on iPhone?