Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If I was a German citizen

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2011, 09:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question If I was a German citizen

I might be saying "Sod Greece, I'm buggered if I want to pay more of my hard earned to try and get them out of the financial mess for which they have primarily themselves to blame. If they want to fiddle their taxes fine but don't expect me to pay for it".

Bear in mind that Germans are already still paying a Unification Tax.

Strikes me that Greece is beyond repair so as soon as Europe stops sending good money after bad the better. Yeah I've heard about the dire consequences of the Euro failing etc etc but I'd have thought the strong industrial countries, like Germany, will succeed even if they go back to Marks or trade in dollars.

What do you reckon?

d
Old 21 July 2011, 09:25 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

My (limited layman's) understanding is that banks all over Europe (and indeed the world) are owed huge amounts of money by countries such as Greece, Spain, Italy and if the countries default then it could take the banks down causing a knock on effect in the other countries so it is every bodies interests to make it work - is this correct???
Old 21 July 2011, 09:26 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Most Germans do already think that.

It's only Merkel who's helping to keep the European dream alive. She and Sarkozy will outline details of their "pact" in Brussels today, but few people are convinced it will be a long-term solution. The less money they waste saving Greece, Portugal, possibly Italy, Spain, Ireland and even Belgium, the better. They tried, it didn't work.
Old 21 July 2011, 09:48 AM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Ive been living and working in Germany for a while now and income tax here is currently about 50% by the time the additions are added on. Im not speaking for the germans at all but my personal experience is that Germanys economy is one of the strongest in europe at the moment with a strengthening economy....maybe not where it needs to be im just not sure as im not an economist. I think for a country like this it would probably help to say sod it we will go alone again, but i dont know what that would do for the banking system worldwide.

Trouble with leaving the Euro is that I believe I read that there are hige penaulty clauses if a member leaves....this of course would have to be weighed up against the constant supporting of other EU members at the moment and probably for a while to come.

As said I await to be torn to shreads by someone who understands economics better than I.
Old 21 July 2011, 10:00 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Zohan
My (limited layman's) understanding is that banks all over Europe (and indeed the world) are owed huge amounts of money by countries such as Greece, Spain, Italy and if the countries default then it could take the banks down causing a knock on effect in the other countries so it is every bodies interests to make it work - is this correct???

Yes, sort of. But "making" a system work that fundamentally cannot, isn't the answer. But this isn't just about economics, it's a political football, so decisions are being made with a wider agenda. The euro dream could be dismantled in an orderly fashion with relatively slight impact. But if it's left to the markets, if they don't have faith in the rescue plan, all hell could break loose, and then it would get ugly.

The worst outcome, in my opinion, is the imposition of a bank levy to pay for the rescue. EUR10bn per year for 5 years i heard touted. As of here and now it seems unlikely that this will be imposed, but it scares me that this was even considered an option.

I believe the Euro won't last for another 2 years, at least in its current form.
Old 21 July 2011, 10:10 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

mbayley, Germany is indeed the powerhouse of Europe. And yes, it's unthinkable that Germany could unilaterally decide to leave the rest of the eurozone to fend for itself, that would have cataclysmic consequences, it just wouldn't happen, even though i bet a straw poll of the German population would show a huge majority in favour of leaving.
Old 21 July 2011, 10:45 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

From what I've seen the EU 'project' has been pretty much doomed for 20 years...

It's been forced upon the people, most don't want it, and it wastes money in a frankly staggering way....

Trending Topics

Old 21 July 2011, 11:15 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mbayley77
Ive been living and working in Germany for a while now and income tax here is currently about 50% by the time the additions are added on. Im not speaking for the germans at all but my personal experience is that Germanys economy is one of the strongest in europe at the moment with a strengthening economy....maybe not where it needs to be im just not sure as im not an economist. I think for a country like this it would probably help to say sod it we will go alone again, but i dont know what that would do for the banking system worldwide.

Trouble with leaving the Euro is that I believe I read that there are hige penaulty clauses if a member leaves....this of course would have to be weighed up against the constant supporting of other EU members at the moment and probably for a while to come.

As said I await to be torn to shreads by someone who understands economics better than I.
I'm not being flippant but I really don't think the economists have a handle on this at all. To me it seems blindingly obvious that Greece is going down the pan and throwing more money at it is pointless - even if the Greek population accepted the hair shirt that they are being offered.

Anyone see Ed Bollox on Newsnight last night? "Cameron should be at the meeting leading the way and telling them how to handle it" Yeah right like they are going to take any notice of UK who had the sense to get out of this mess years ago.

Greece Portugal Spain Italy Ireland?

Then the Euro

dl
Old 21 July 2011, 11:35 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I agree with Boris that we should let Greece default.

The TV and news is full of clever economics peeps telling is that everything is 'too interconnected'....well they would say this sort of stuff because their job is to find complex solutions...

...but I think you can over-think it too much. The lenders to Greece must take a haircut for their poor investement, otherwise we seem to be in this absurd situation where the banks/investors say to the taxpayers that 'we must win rain or shine'...if we don't you are screwed. It's like an EXTORTION!
Old 21 July 2011, 11:35 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I agree with Boris that we should let Greece default.

The TV and news is full of clever economics peeps telling is that everything is 'too interconnected'....well they would say this sort of stuff because their job is to find complex solutions...

...but I think you can over-think it too much. The lenders to Greece must take a haircut for their poor investement, otherwise we seem to be in this absurd situation where the banks/investors say to the taxpayers that 'we must win rain or shine'...if we don't you are screwed. It's like an EXTORTION!
Old 21 July 2011, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There was a recent rumour that Germany was secretly printing Deutsche Marks!

Was that just scaremongering or what?

Les
Old 21 July 2011, 01:38 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Could Greece not take out a short term loan until payday ? or consolidate all of their debt's into one easily affordable monthly payment ?

windyboy
Old 21 July 2011, 01:45 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
Could Greece not take out a short term loan until payday ? or consolidate all of their debt's into one easily affordable monthly payment ?

windyboy
http://www.wonga.com

Chip
Old 21 July 2011, 01:58 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Yeah but when Greece default on Wonga.com's loans Blackpool FC will be knackered
Old 21 July 2011, 05:09 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by David Lock
I might be saying "Sod Greece, I'm buggered if I want to pay more of my hard earned to try and get them out of the financial mess for which they have primarily themselves to blame. If they want to fiddle their taxes fine but don't expect me to pay for it".

Bear in mind that Germans are already still paying a Unification Tax.

Strikes me that Greece is beyond repair so as soon as Europe stops sending good money after bad the better. Yeah I've heard about the dire consequences of the Euro failing etc etc but I'd have thought the strong industrial countries, like Germany, will succeed even if they go back to Marks or trade in dollars.

What do you reckon?

d
You don't have to tell me about it I am living it!!!!!!
Old 21 July 2011, 06:42 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
mbayley, Germany is indeed the powerhouse of Europe. And yes, it's unthinkable that Germany could unilaterally decide to leave the rest of the eurozone to fend for itself, that would have cataclysmic consequences, it just wouldn't happen, even though i bet a straw poll of the German population would show a huge majority in favour of leaving.
with the reichmark euro so strong they could probably buy the surrounding countries instead of invading them this time. and you all thought it was BMWs and Mercedes they were building in the Ruhr valley....pfffffttt

Last edited by bigsinky; 21 July 2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 21 July 2011, 06:53 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Sure but we've had sovereign defaults in the past and the world didn't end!

I'm sick of hearing about how 'interconnected' everything is these days, seems were told that banks (Lemans) and countries can no longer fail and the tax payer (you and me) should stump up to cover the losses of private investors and institutions.

Everything being 'interconnected' is just another way of saying the markets are doing a **** POOR job of managing risk, and it won't change either until the market get the message that the government won't save them through robbing the taxpayers.

It's an outrage to the libertarian what is happening. It looks like and is a massive wealth transfer.
Old 21 July 2011, 07:00 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d

They're all just stabbing in the dark.
and $hit stabbing at that!!! bunch of useless ***** the lot of them
Old 21 July 2011, 07:05 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I'm sick of hearing about how 'interconnected' everything is these days, seems were told that banks (Lemans) and countries can no longer fail and the tax payer (you and me) should stump up to cover the losses of private investors and institutions.

Everything being 'interconnected' is just another way of saying the markets are doing a **** POOR job of managing/pricing risk, and it won't change either until the market get the message that the government won't save them through robbing the taxpayers.

It's an outrage to the libertarian what is happening. It looks like and is a massive wealth transfer.
Old 21 July 2011, 07:12 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

Everything being 'interconnected' is just another way of saying the markets are doing a **** POOR job of managing/pricing risk, and it won't change either until the market get the message that the government won't save them through robbing the taxpayers.

personally i blame the jewish cabals and their diaspora
Old 21 July 2011, 08:14 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I hope the Greeks drag the Krauts and the Frogs so far down the pan that they can't even glimpse the light from the u bend.

Unfortunately, because we don't have any politicians with ***** enough to tell them to take their USofE and stick it up their @rses, we'll end up down there with them

Oh well, suppose I'd better get learning Mandarin
Old 21 July 2011, 08:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It really pains me to agree with most of what TdW says..........

dl
Old 22 July 2011, 01:12 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
with the reichmark euro so strong they could probably buy the surrounding countries instead of invading them this time. and you all thought it was BMWs and Mercedes they were building in the Ruhr valley....pfffffttt
Sprechen sie Italian/Greek/Spanish/Portuguese books, monogrammed beach towels and air conditioned motor homes this time is it?
Old 22 July 2011, 11:49 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Not wanting to burst your bubble but neither BMW or Mercedes are made in the Ruhr Valley ! Mercedes are made in Sindelfingen/Böblingen which is in the Neckar Valley down near Stuttgart and BMW are made in Munich.

The Ruhr Valley is about 3 hours north of where they make Mercedes, which is about 2 hours north west of where they make BMWs

Oh yeah and they stopped using the Reichmark after the war! It was the Deutsch Mark before the Euro.

Last edited by Wurzel; 22 July 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 12:10 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ze Cheeermans.
Old 22 July 2011, 12:36 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Not wanting to burst your bubble but neither BMW or Mercedes are made in the Ruhr Valley ! Mercedes are made in Sindelfingen/Böblingen which is in the Neckar Valley down near Stuttgart and BMW are made in Munich.

The Ruhr Valley is about 3 hours north of where they make Mercedes, which is about 2 hours north west of where they make BMWs

Oh yeah and they stopped using the Reichmark after the war! It was the Deutsch Mark before the Euro.

does no one get comedic license anymore. my reference was about the pre world war 2 germany. them invading poland and building King Tiger tanks in the Ruhr heartland. Just isn't the same when you have to explain your attempts at humour

Last edited by bigsinky; 22 July 2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 22 July 2011, 12:52 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

does no one get comedic license anymore. my reference was about the pre world war 2 germany. them invading poland and building King Tiger tanks in the Ruhr heartland. Just isn't the same when you have to explain your attempts at humour
Wurzel has been in Germany sometime now, 'sinky.
Old 22 July 2011, 01:19 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Wurzel has been in Germany sometime now, 'sinky.
OMG he is right I am turning into a German !!!!!
Old 22 July 2011, 01:37 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
OMG he is right I am turning into a German !!!!!
gotten himmel!!! ve hav vays ov turning ze Tommy into ein humourless clone ov zee Faszerland.

Last edited by bigsinky; 22 July 2011 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: If I was a German citizen