Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Discount

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2011, 02:26 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discount

I am sick of this word and all other forms of not wanting to pay the worth of an item.

I pitty the next person today that asks me for discount.
Old 18 July 2011, 02:38 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about the person who suggests you use a spell check?
Old 18 July 2011, 02:42 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

That's what you get for working with the public
Old 18 July 2011, 02:47 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Nothing wrong with a bit of a haggle! (unless you dont have the authority to alter prices )

Ads
Old 18 July 2011, 02:48 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Why shouldn't people ask for a discount?

Depends what I'm buying, but I generally ask if anything can be done on price. If you don't ask you don't get
Old 18 July 2011, 03:27 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

When purchasing any item more which costs hundreds of pounds, I always ask for discount.
Not only will I ask for it, but I expect it too!

As I did when I purchased my home cinema system from your fine establishment Jamz3k
I think the manager that day didn't particularly like me, mainly down to the fact that we'd already haggled and agreed a price in advance.
I just wanted a second bite at the cherry, and the fact of the matter was that they'd already loaded all the stuff into my car

If my memory serves my correctly, overall I saved approx £400 on the initial price
Old 18 July 2011, 03:42 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well I for one know very well that retail prices are set to allow for discount. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Trending Topics

Old 18 July 2011, 03:46 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Well I for one know very well that retail prices are set to allow for discount.
sounds like tosh to me!
Old 18 July 2011, 03:56 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Bizarre rant. No retailer can honestly say they can't afford to give 10% discount, at least.
Old 18 July 2011, 04:00 PM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Surely the amount of potential discount relates to the profit margin on said item.

If you are only making a small amount, then you can't afford to give 10% discount

Jason
Old 18 July 2011, 04:05 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Yes i grasp the rudimentary mathematics, but no retailer, unless they're liquidating or in serious financial trouble, would be working on anything like as small as a 10% margin.
Old 18 July 2011, 04:06 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
sounds like tosh to me!
Really? How come?

If you know the margins and have the authority to give discount, you'd be amazed at how much producs are marked up by.
Old 18 July 2011, 04:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Retailers work on different margins for different typre sof product.

Generally in mid range jewellery for example it's about 3 times the wholesale price, but before the SN 'experts' go off all half cocked think abiut what that margin represents... out of it has to come VAT, rent, rates, services for the shop and wages/salary for the staff and that are just the major items. Starts to make those discounts look slightly less obviously appealing to said retailer.
Old 18 July 2011, 04:49 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Retailers work on different margins for different typre sof product.

Generally in mid range jewellery for example it's about 3 times the wholesale price, but before the SN 'experts' go off all half cocked think abiut what that margin represents... out of it has to come VAT, rent, rates, services for the shop and wages/salary for the staff and that are just the major items. Starts to make those discounts look slightly less obviously appealing to said retailer.
Agreed. I know for a fact that Peugeot dealers only work on 11-13% mark up from what they pay Peugeot UK!
Old 18 July 2011, 04:52 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Sony Centres, as an example, are currently running, on average, 17% margin on the product. If I had a Sony Centre you'd get 5% tops from me if I were desperate for the numbers (on an otherwise blank order), maybe another couple of % if you were having the warranty, leads, stand etc (where the real margins are). Some of the margins (before costs) on electricals are awful. From a salesman's point of view, most sensible retailers will have a penalty for discount against the commission, so I understand the OP's frustration.

Last edited by JTaylor; 18 July 2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 18 July 2011, 04:53 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

The worst of the whole lot are distributors to motorfactors
They uplift sales prices generally between 100% & 240% above cost.
Then the motorfactor needs his cut before they fleece us!
Old 18 July 2011, 04:57 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Sony Centres, as an example, are currently running, on average, 17% margin on the product. If I had a Sony Centre you'd get 5% tops from me if I were desperate for the numbers (on an otherwise blank order), maybe another couple of % if you were having the warranty, leads, stand etc (where the real margins are). Some of the margins (before costs) on electricals are awful. From a salesman's point of view, most sensible retailers will have a penalty for discount against the commision, so I understand the OPs frustration.
I understand that very well, we've supplied software to quite a few electricial retailers.
Don't forget about kickbacks and retrospective discounts later on.
Old 18 July 2011, 05:00 PM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

Most of the car industry works on less than 10%.

Yes there is a bonus for hitting targets but you have to hit them before you give it away
Old 18 July 2011, 05:01 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I'm all for a bargain as much as anybody. However people that ask me for a discount are usually met with the reply 'How would like it if your boss asked for a discount on your services every time you did a job'. It's not necessarily a refusal, but it makes them think. Many people seem to think they have a right to pay less than a marked price as if it's some kind of lottery.
If you are dealing with a big organisation they will be much better placed to make a concession. If you're dealing with a small business or sole trader, give 'em a break because they are probably working bloody hard for their money. Talking of making a deal with a big organisation, when was the last time anybody successfully tried getting a discount on the weekly groceries at Tescos?
If circumstances are right, buying in quantity or a high value item, I'll ask for a discount. But if the answer is no then no it is. I have a choice, accept the deal on offer or spend time, effort, and maybe money too, trolling around looking to save a few quid.
There are too many people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Old 18 July 2011, 05:18 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I cant stand places where the price displayed is the price you pay. I had cause to spend a fair amuont on a new telly and home theater system some years back and took a look at what was on offer in currys. The saleswoman told me she could not offer any discount, so I asked to speak with the manager to see what he could offer. He told me if I couldn't afford it in one payment they could offer me installments. He totally missed the point, it wasn;t affordability that was the problem, I wanted them to work for the sale and win my custom. I think it is more a reflection on the calibre of staff employed if businesses don't allow staff to offer discount - it lets them employ staff who need no selling ability at all, and dont need to understand margins on the goods they do sell - BTW - none of that is a shot at the OP.

I really enjoy a good negotiation on price, I get to do this regularly for my employers benefit. I get the price to a point where I am happy then haggle on upgraded components, support or warranty is my usual approach. I don't claim to win them all, but if the opening gambit is no discount, you will not be making any sale with me - either personally or in business. I also make a point of recording when companys year-end fall, if I can hold off larger orders until then there are always good savings to be had.
Old 18 July 2011, 05:48 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I am sick of this word and all other forms of not wanting to pay the worth of an item.

I pitty the next person today that asks me for discount.
I normally point at the swear box when the word discount is mentioned!
Old 18 July 2011, 05:59 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I cant stand places where the price displayed is the price you pay. I had cause to spend a fair amuont on a new telly and home theater system some years back and took a look at what was on offer in currys. The saleswoman told me she could not offer any discount, so I asked to speak with the manager to see what he could offer. He told me if I couldn't afford it in one payment they could offer me installments. He totally missed the point, it wasn;t affordability that was the problem, I wanted them to work for the sale and win my custom. I think it is more a reflection on the calibre of staff employed if businesses don't allow staff to offer discount - it lets them employ staff who need no selling ability at all, and dont need to understand margins on the goods they do sell - BTW - none of that is a shot at the OP.

I really enjoy a good negotiation on price, I get to do this regularly for my employers benefit. I get the price to a point where I am happy then haggle on upgraded components, support or warranty is my usual approach. I don't claim to win them all, but if the opening gambit is no discount, you will not be making any sale with me - either personally or in business. I also make a point of recording when companys year-end fall, if I can hold off larger orders until then there are always good savings to be had.
In response to someone who comes across as hard-headed I just inflate the price artificially and then give the same in discount.
Old 18 July 2011, 06:19 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Blue by You
In response to someone who comes across as hard-headed I just inflate the price artificially and then give the same in discount.
exactly i teach my members of staff to do just that!

Any discount comes out of sales advisors commission, and my staff cant afford to lose commission, so i would tell you to **** right off with your discount, in a polite company approved way of course.

we dont live in marakech, there is no haggling on price, you pay full or leave my shop and head office approve of this so complaining to them will only result in an email landing in my outlook about how you expect something for nothing and we dont want problem customers anyway.

why is it that the people who feel the need to get a discount or walk out are always the problem customers who want all the customer service and keep coming back with pathetic little issues that they could easily and more quickly could be fixed by them selves, but no, they feel the need to come to the shop just to "vent their anger to someone", usually sad little ***** who will die with 200k in the bank but have worn the same jeans and shoes for the last 10 years and never enjoyed a day in their lives if it meant spending money!

luckily for every tw@ that fits the discount bill we have 10 more customers who will just pay and leave and never mention discount or moan all the time, these are the guys we look after!

Ive had people complain and ask for rebates when delivery times etc go wrong, one on sat asked for a rebate, it came to £1.50, it cost 3 quid of petrol just to drive to the shop, so why do it?

some people have empty lives!
Old 18 July 2011, 06:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Do you buy baked beans for Safeway

TX.
Old 18 July 2011, 06:28 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

And they didn't tell you to Foxtrot Oscar

TX.

Originally Posted by urban
I think the manager that day didn't particularly like me, mainly down to the fact that we'd already haggled and agreed a price in advance.
I just wanted a second bite at the cherry, and the fact of the matter was that they'd already loaded all the stuff into my car
Old 18 July 2011, 06:37 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by Terminator X
And they didn't tell you to Foxtrot Oscar

TX.
id have unloaded the car personally and smiled while i did it, i love ruining the days of bargain hunters!
Old 18 July 2011, 06:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
exactly i teach my members of staff to do just that!

Any discount comes out of sales advisors commission, and my staff cant afford to lose commission, so i would tell you to **** right off with your discount, in a polite company approved way of course.

we dont live in marakech, there is no haggling on price, you pay full or leave my shop and head office approve of this so complaining to them will only result in an email landing in my outlook about how you expect something for nothing and we dont want problem customers anyway.

why is it that the people who feel the need to get a discount or walk out are always the problem customers who want all the customer service and keep coming back with pathetic little issues that they could easily and more quickly could be fixed by them selves, but no, they feel the need to come to the shop just to "vent their anger to someone", usually sad little ***** who will die with 200k in the bank but have worn the same jeans and shoes for the last 10 years and never enjoyed a day in their lives if it meant spending money!

luckily for every tw@ that fits the discount bill we have 10 more customers who will just pay and leave and never mention discount or moan all the time, these are the guys we look after!

Ive had people complain and ask for rebates when delivery times etc go wrong, one on sat asked for a rebate, it came to £1.50, it cost 3 quid of petrol just to drive to the shop, so why do it?

some people have empty lives!
Hey GC8WRX, how are you? Long time, no see BTW like your style re. discounts
Old 18 July 2011, 06:58 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Do you buy baked beans for Safeway

TX.
No mate - I buy rubber dog sh1te for poundland. At least thats how it feels some days!!!!
Old 18 July 2011, 07:01 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I will pay what I can get the item for elsewhere. So if I want to buy something like a television, I will find the lowest price and then ask if a local store would like to match it. I'm not unreasonable, and I am not a 'problem' customer as above.

A recent example: I just bought a Nissan Juke (yes, I know, squashed frog looking ), I found the cheapest deal on drivethedeal.com and then went to my local dealer. He couldn't match it, but after a few days of haggling got within £100. Good enough for me, I would rather buy locally. So he showed effort, I'm reasonable and we were both happy.

I'm not sure why you are so against discounting?

Steve
Old 18 July 2011, 07:09 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I'm not sure why you are so against discounting?
I get the feeling from the thread that those against, are only against offering discount when selling.

If they are happy to pay the ticket price on every transaction where they are the buyer - their commission must be good.

Quick Reply: Discount