Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

'Hacker' Ryan Cleary could be extradited to US to face court over CIA computer attack

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2011, 01:39 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 'Hacker' Ryan Cleary could be extradited to US to face court over CIA computer attack

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...r-attacks.html

What do people think of this? I heard his lawyer? on TV the other day saying it was unfair; "he's stressed", "The US gives really harsh sentences" blah blah etc etc.

Apparently he's got ADHD, so it's unfair also?!

Plus you have the usual anti-americianists exploiting this. Would they be moaning if it was an extradition to France?
Old 22 June 2011, 01:44 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

This is why we need to licence people before they are allowed on the internet.
Old 22 June 2011, 01:48 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the world of blurred boundaries.

I think you would expect to be tried where you committed the crime. Murder someone in France, expect to be tried in France. If the effects of your crime are mostly felt in the US then get ready to be tried there.

However, that does seem harsh on the defendant, who is of course innocent until found guilty, that they have to move away from home, don't know the legal system, may get less enthusiastic representation etc.

Who pays for the witnesses to attend? The family don't look as if they have much money.
Old 22 June 2011, 01:52 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Welcome to the world of blurred boundaries.

I think you would expect to be tried where you committed the crime. Murder someone in France, expect to be tried in France. If the effects of your crime are mostly felt in the US then get ready to be tried there.

However, that does seem harsh on the defendant, who is of course innocent until found guilty, that they have to move away from home, don't know the legal system, may get less enthusiastic representation etc.

Who pays for the witnesses to attend? The family don't look as if they have much money.
He would be extradited to face charges, how is that unfair? He's not being extradited to be found guilty unless proven innocence?
Old 22 June 2011, 01:52 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
This is why we need to licence people before they are allowed on the internet.
How would Scoobynet exist without 90% of its users?
Old 22 June 2011, 02:13 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

ADHA should have no bearing on his hearing. He is to be tried in the UK first anyway.
Old 22 June 2011, 02:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
ADHA should have no bearing on his hearing. He is to be tried in the UK first anyway.
I agree it is ridiculous, same as the other guy who is an Aspy.

It's just any excuse really.

Does being an Aspy mean you have diminished responsibility? I hope not as that would be absurd, and I am sure most Aspies would agree they are not nutters who have no idea what they are doing (insane).

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2011, 02:21 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeez - he's not even been charged yet
Old 22 June 2011, 02:26 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Come on. A 19 year old computer geek with social issues rips through CIA and FBI firewalls? They are embarressed and want payback. Nothing more.
Old 22 June 2011, 02:33 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...r-attacks.html

What do people think of this? I heard his lawyer? on TV the other day saying it was unfair; "he's stressed", "The US gives really harsh sentences" blah blah etc etc.

Apparently he's got ADHD, so it's unfair also?!

Plus you have the usual anti-americianists exploiting this. Would they be moaning if it was an extradition to France?
I'd say part of the problem is the differences in the legal systems, and the fact that it isn't a level playing field. Try extraditing someone from the States, and you'd soon see.
The CIA need to get their house in order, particularly as they spend so much time attempting to hack into everybody else's PC's.
Hey you guys over there, give the man a job! he's better at it than you are.
Old 22 June 2011, 02:34 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

That would be a good idea. Use him instead of abusing him!
Old 22 June 2011, 02:34 PM
L2PB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Come on. A 19 year old computer geek with social issues rips through CIA and FBI firewalls? They are embarressed and want payback. Nothing more.

Haha.. how very true, they are just pissed because he turned down their job offer and wanted to stay in his bedroom watching ****, hacking other important agencies whilst his mum supplied him with ritalin and a jam toasty on the hour ever hour......

Poor guy, i tell you he has played too much World Of Warcarft for my liking..! He had two computers as well, i wonder if they were Windows or Mac???
Old 22 June 2011, 03:03 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Being able to access the entire World from your bedroom is an entirely new phenomenon, and one that hasn't been fully grasped yet. Instead of having to prove yourself out there by being trendy, or good looking, or appealing to the usual populist papp, actually having a brain is plenty enough. The whole thing is entirely cerebral.
Maybe it's time to give the underdog some credit and respect.
Geeks ruling the Planet indeed.
Old 22 June 2011, 03:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Being able to access the entire World from your bedroom is an entirely new phenomenon, and one that hasn't been fully grasped yet. Instead of having to prove yourself out there by being trendy, or good looking, or appealing to the usual populist papp, actually having a brain is plenty enough. The whole thing is entirely cerebral.
Maybe it's time to give the underdog some credit and respect.
Geeks ruling the Planet indeed.
He still may have committed a crime though.

Would you say white collar crime is good? It's all done from a desk after all?

Would you be so understanding if your personal details had been hacked or your money stolen from your bank account by a hacker?
Old 22 June 2011, 03:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I'd say part of the problem is the differences in the legal systems, and the fact that it isn't a level playing field. Try extraditing someone from the States, and you'd soon see.
The CIA need to get their house in order, particularly as they spend so much time attempting to hack into everybody else's PC's.
Hey you guys over there, give the man a job! he's better at it than you are.
Well that is a separate issue and doesn't pertain to the details of this case per se.

Would you be saying that if it was a possible child murderer/rapist being extradited?
Old 22 June 2011, 04:14 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Well that is a separate issue and doesn't pertain to the details of this case per se.

Would you be saying that if it was a possible child murderer/rapist being extradited?
Stop using red herrings to evoke an emotive angle to your thread.

Ryan has inadvertently done them a favour by highlighting the lapses in their security. Fortunately for them it wasn't some Islamist terrorists (boom tish) doing the hacking. Give the lad a medal.
Old 22 June 2011, 04:21 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Yes because that's the same
Old 22 June 2011, 04:24 PM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

The US Government will offer him a job.
Old 22 June 2011, 06:10 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yes because that's the same
So are you saying that extradition process should vary with the emotive power of the alleged offense?
Old 22 June 2011, 06:12 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

So are you saying that extradition process should vary with the emotive power of the alleged offense?
Did I say that? No

Stop assuming and putting words in peoples mouths.
Old 22 June 2011, 06:32 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Did I say that? No

Stop assuming and putting words in peoples mouths.
Why did you say the offenses were not the same then if the alleged offense if irrelevant?
Old 22 June 2011, 06:33 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

if he gets extradited i'd be surprised if he actually faces any charges, the CIA or NSA will use him if he is as good at his trade as the media is portraying. It wont be long before wars are fought at a keyboard instead of using tanks and guns. That might sound a little far fetched i know but check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g0pi4J8auQ
Old 22 June 2011, 06:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

If he's so great how did he get caught?
Old 22 June 2011, 07:01 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

He still may have committed a crime though.

Would you say white collar crime is good? It's all done from a desk after all?

Would you be so understanding if your personal details had been hacked or your money stolen from your bank account by a hacker?
My point is that no thought has been given to those who may have an agenda other than mere crime. If you're going to have these systems operating for the benefit of security services there are going to be those who just like testing them.
I can understand the viewpoint of someone who has been otherwise shunned by society, yes.
Old 22 June 2011, 07:05 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

It isn't though, is it? My view is that if the CIA can't handle an Autistic kid in his bedroom, heads need to roll.
Some multi-national has a problem? who cares?
Old 22 June 2011, 07:06 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

If he's so great how did he get caught?
He wasn't hiding.
Old 22 June 2011, 07:12 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

My point is that no thought has been given to those who may have an agenda other than mere crime. If you're going to have these systems operating for the benefit of security services there are going to be those who just like testing them.
I can understand the viewpoint of someone who has been otherwise shunned by society, yes.
Maybe but I am not sure exactly what he did when inside those systems, may have deleted stuff, tampered with data in other ways. Maybe just being inside those systems renders said data now compromised and millions lost? Lives maybe in danger?

You could also view just being in those systems as a trespass, or a breaking and entering. If you trespass onto a military base for example you may be liable to prosecution.
Old 22 June 2011, 07:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It isn't though, is it? My view is that if the CIA can't handle an Autistic kid in his bedroom, heads need to roll.
Some multi-national has a problem? who cares?
Who said he was Autistic?

If an Autistic person beat you up would you say it was your own fault for not being able to handle an Autistic assaulter?
Old 22 June 2011, 07:19 PM
jta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head

more like they want his services..i bet this is kept under raps when he is employed by the CIA as counter measure
Old 22 June 2011, 08:41 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

"Ryan Cleary is not part of LulzSec; we house one of our many legitimate chatrooms on his IRC server, but that's it," LulzSec tweeted. "Clearly the UK police are so desperate to catch us that they've gone and arrested someone who is, at best, mildly associated with us. Lame."

turns out he is not a hacker at all !

Quick Reply: 'Hacker' Ryan Cleary could be extradited to US to face court over CIA computer attack