Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Roll Up, Roll Up, Who wants Redundancy?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2011, 02:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Roll Up, Roll Up, Who wants Redundancy?

Now, I read on here people 'feeling' for those losing their jobs.

How it's tough out there and people are suffering.

Today we read that the Army has had TWICE the wanted applications for redundancy.

Councils up and down the land have been swamped with applications from executives to be made redundant.

Schools are getting Teachers begging to go on their handsome package.

My Company gets burdened with applications for redundancy whenever the hint of job losses is mentioned. Myself, I would go tomorrow on redundancy if it was offered to me - my application is in and has been for years now.

It seems to me that most people WANT to take the cash and run .....

It also seems to me that not many people are suffering yet, certainly where I am there is no 'squeeze' to speak of in reality.

So, who would take Redundancy if offered it? I WOULD!!!

Last edited by pslewis; 18 June 2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 18 June 2011, 02:39 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id like to see you join PH.
Old 18 June 2011, 02:41 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PH ?? Piston Heads

Shaun
Old 18 June 2011, 03:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Yes Shaun. Theyd chew him up and sh*t him out.
Old 18 June 2011, 03:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

EH?

Well, that's not very nice!!

I did think when you said join PH .... I read it as join me down the Public House!! Thought you were going to buy me a pint!!
Old 18 June 2011, 03:11 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

A lot of people at our place took the cash and ran when the recession hit and Nissan dropped 1200`ish jobs from its factory (which also mean all its suppliers had to do the same) then came back in 2 months time when Nissan said "ohh its not so bad" and whacked the production volumes back up.

A few of the lads i work with took around 16k in cash, had 2 months off then came back to do the exact same job.

Bit of a gamble, but it worked out fine for them, one of my work mates took his cash from a different supplier and then came and worked for us, and a few of our lads left and went to the other suppliers
Old 18 June 2011, 03:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

bit of a daft thing to do, the jobs market isn't that boyant so while you may have a stack of cash you'll need some luck finding a new job. Also the grass always seems green from the other side.

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2011, 03:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Yeah, same here ... people took £30,000 and £24,000 a year until they reached 60 ... THEN, a couple of years later they are back as Contractors on £150,000 for the same old job they had before on a measly £80,000!!

Of course they still keep the £24,000 a year they left on!!

GREAT trick if you can pull it off!! I'm sure there are many doing the exact same thing all over the country right now ........ laughing all the way to the Bank, 2 years off and then wander back on double money!

Dip Yer Bread!! And I want some of it!!!!

Last edited by pslewis; 18 June 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 18 June 2011, 03:18 PM
dean_gti
Scooby Regular

My poor mrs was offered a measly £9000ish redundancy for 11 years work. She turned it down and 2 months later she has had her temp hours cut, and is back on her 21 hours a week contract.

So no she's leaving with nothing in hand whatsoever not a dime and cannot even claim jsa while she looks for another teaching job as she hasn't been sacked.
Old 18 June 2011, 03:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

As far as I know - you CAN claim JSA whatever your situation on your last job - as long as you are actively looking for a job ..... I don't even think it's means tested.

£9,000 sounds like it is higher than the legal requirement - although by no means a decent pay off.
Old 18 June 2011, 03:32 PM
dean_gti
Scooby Regular

According to job center plus, if she makes herself unemployed she won't to able to get income based or even contributions based for the first 3 months..... after then she can (but she would never be out of work that long)

She is holding out for more hours until after xmas.
Old 18 June 2011, 03:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I've just taken redundancy after 33 years with National Grid, get my pension in a few months at 50 along with a nice tax free lump sum to top up my redundancy payment.

Nice if you can get it I admit.

Chip
Old 18 June 2011, 03:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Chip ... my deal would be £30,000 Cash Tax Free Lump Sum and an Annual Compensation Payment.

I would pack my bags tomorrow if there was any hint whatsoever that they would let me go!
Old 18 June 2011, 04:59 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Yep, first £30k tax free, then used to be taxed at whatever your tax rate was. Now, as my redundancy was paid in April it is taxed as your first monthly pay of this financial year so I was taxed on the rest at 50% and given a tax code of 0T so therefore losing my tax free allowance as well for this year. Will take months to get it back as well.

Chip
Old 18 June 2011, 05:09 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
Yeah, Chip ... my deal would be £30,000 Cash Tax Free Lump Sum and an Annual Compensation Payment.

I would pack my bags tomorrow if there was any hint whatsoever that they would let me go!
for such a small amount of money, it is tempting to organise a whip round

and you would prob get help packing those bags too
Old 18 June 2011, 05:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Feel free to have a whip round ...... it will be a £30,000 Tax Free up front payment and then £55,000 Annual Compensation Payment each year. Until I pop my clogs!

It's going to be very tight - but I would sacrifice myself on the alter of Tory Cuts ...... for the good of mankind all over - that's the kind of great guy I am!!

Last edited by pslewis; 18 June 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 18 June 2011, 06:39 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ile take my 15 years worth any day , at £72.00 a month difference between working and sat on me *** , it would take a long time to spend , GET ON THE PLATFORM AND RIDE GIVEN THE CHANCE
Old 18 June 2011, 06:53 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

When are you going to be made redundant from Scoobynet? I sometimes follow the line that its a better place with you than without you but lately your posts are becoming a bit samey.

If this was a workplace I'd say the moderators would even be offered a redundancy package just to move them on due to how inadequate they are at dealing with you.
Old 18 June 2011, 06:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You've been reading my posts for 7 years .... of course they will be a bit samey!
Old 19 June 2011, 12:08 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Pete - If you get properly redundant, you will get 250 quid for every year you have been there, so 5k for 20 years service. I am crossing my fingers that you get it, cos if the company goes into administration in the mean time, you might get nothing. 5k won't pay for you to get your nappy changed for long....... maybe 3 months?
Old 19 June 2011, 12:15 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

He has a point Pedro: youre a big fish in a tiny little pond...
Old 19 June 2011, 12:33 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

i would take the army's redundancy tomorrow if i could nice lump sum and full pension in half the time and i would get to keep my legs lol but i wont be accepted as im commited to a tour
Old 19 June 2011, 12:41 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by GC8
He has a point Pedro: youre a big fish in a tiny little pond...
I don't think so....... more likely tiny tiny fish in a tiny tiny puddle, but entertaining with it.

Can't apply logic to it, but if I was making 80k, or 200 or whatever the latest claim is, I would never have been that bothered about a duff pixel on a TV that cost a couple of days income.. The time fighting it it on an 80k pro rata would buy a decent model every 9 hours, so why spend months fighting it unless you couldn't afford to go and buy a decent replacement?
Old 19 June 2011, 10:19 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Pete - If you get properly redundant, you will get 250 quid for every year you have been there, so 5k for 20 years service.
Says who?
Old 19 June 2011, 10:28 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Can't apply logic to it, but if I was making 80k, or 200 or whatever the latest claim is, I would never have been that bothered about a duff pixel on a TV that cost a couple of days income.. The time fighting it it on an 80k pro rata would buy a decent model every 9 hours, so why spend months fighting it unless you couldn't afford to go and buy a decent replacement?
You really do miss the point .....

I would invest time, and go to court, over a duff item I had bought in Poundland .... I LOVE the fight, I LOVE to win (I have never lost a fight I have chosen to take!).

I guess that's why my earning power is so much greater than yours? I'm a winner!!

And I'm puzzled where you got the £250 per year Redundancy package I would get ... you wouldn't be talking out your rear end again, would you?
Old 19 June 2011, 11:00 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Pete - If you get properly redundant, you will get 250 quid for every year you have been there, so 5k for 20 years service. I am crossing my fingers that you get it, cos if the company goes into administration in the mean time, you might get nothing. 5k won't pay for you to get your nappy changed for long....... maybe 3 months?
No you don't-it's a statutory maximum of £400 and multiplication of weeks depends upon age/length of service.

Some employers pay a better package depending on your contract.
Old 19 June 2011, 11:07 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Now, I read on here people 'feeling' for those losing their jobs.

How it's tough out there and people are suffering.

Today we read that the Army has had TWICE the wanted applications for redundancy.

Councils up and down the land have been swamped with applications from executives to be made redundant.

Schools are getting Teachers begging to go on their handsome package.

My Company gets burdened with applications for redundancy whenever the hint of job losses is mentioned. Myself, I would go tomorrow on redundancy if it was offered to me - my application is in and has been for years now.

It seems to me that most people WANT to take the cash and run .....

It also seems to me that not many people are suffering yet, certainly where I am there is no 'squeeze' to speak of in reality.

So, who would take Redundancy if offered it? I WOULD!!!
Is it surprising though? If you were a squaddy isn't it to be expected that he would prefer the money to be sent out to Afghanistan with a strong likelihood of being killed for no apparent good reason, despite all the reasons given by the politicians, who seem to feel that a war going on is just what they need to cover a multitude of their sins? Orwell was a far seeing man alright!

Les
Old 19 June 2011, 10:17 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Says who?
That is the minimum legal requirement.
Old 19 June 2011, 10:18 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

You really do miss the point .....

I would invest time, and go to court, over a duff item I had bought in Poundland .... I LOVE the fight, I LOVE to win (I have never lost a fight I have chosen to take!).
You've lost plenty on here
Old 19 June 2011, 10:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

That is the minimum legal requirement.
It's £400 a week ..... not £250 a week as you said.

Seems you lose again - you'll never be a winner, will you?

Quick Reply: Roll Up, Roll Up, Who wants Redundancy?