Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

London to Brighton

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2011, 01:15 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default London to Brighton

One of my sisters is doing this with a friend (her third time).

Just just rang me to say her friend has pulled her hamstring playing golf and now can't do it.

She has just asked if I can do it with her so she isn't doing it on her own. Trouble is, I have just got my bike fixed and started riding it again for the first time in 10 years.

What I want to know is for those that have done this before is.........

A) How hard is it?
B) Can you transfer over a persons name to show as my own?
C) What would I need to take with me as spares etc?
D) How much water am I likely to use?
E) What am I thinking in saying yes!!

Steve
Old 13 June 2011, 01:18 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Biggest problem is weaving thro the slow coaches
Old 13 June 2011, 01:21 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Am doing this on Sunday coming up. Take a couple of tubes, water bottles (but I gather there are frequent "refueling stations"), some cereal bars/gels. How hard? Dunno, this will be my first but it would appear that this attracts all types of cyclist and that at any look of an incline, the road becomes jammed with people walking! However, it should be not too strenuous if you are reasonably fit.

Check about name transfer though www.bhf.org.uk

Do it!
Old 13 June 2011, 01:28 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

55 miles if I recall. Wasn't that difficult for a regular cyclist (me). Lots of day trippers out trying it, so I'd say if you cycle them it's no problem. The first large hill in Chipstead Valley (Surrey) had a lot of walkers and was packed, but after this it thins out. Ditchling Beacon is very hard, but they have oxygen for you if you need it :-) Lot of walkers around, so even if hard you'll not feel like you're the only one in capable. Most of South Surrey and North Sussex are reasonable rides on road. And you get swept along with all the others.

Lots of stops/refueling points, including pubs. The times I've done it was overcast and the temperature reasonable, so I was good with liquid, but I guess if it heats up real hot then you'll need a lot more - can't predict it at the moment.

Didn't need any spares myself, had a few tubes, but I guess a lot of riders and the road is "swept" clean.
Old 13 June 2011, 01:48 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I managed to pick my way thro the walkers up the beacon !

only to topple over at the 'summit' , couldnt get unclipped quick enough
Old 13 June 2011, 04:03 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I've done it twice before and will be doing the London to Cambridge next month.
I did my London to Brighton runs when I was 24ish and then 27ish. First time I cycled the whole way without one stop, found out afterwards it was on the hottest day of the year and ended up with sun/heatstroke. The second I couldn't manage Ditchling Beacon because I wasn't cycling as regularly. This year I'm doing it at 45.

A) How hard is it? If you're a regular cyclist you'll find it ok. If not, you'll manage it but will end up aching the day after. Especially your gooch/****. I can almost guarantee you'll be a lot more careful washing your undercarriage for the following week.
B) Can you transfer over a persons name to show as my own? Wouldn't know as I've only ever done it "outside" of the charity.
C) What would I need to take with me as spares etc? Mini pump, innertube (or patches) tyre levers (if your tyres aren't loose enough to "thumb" off.) Any Allen key sizes you need. I hang a small bike bag under the saddle with my spares in. There will be people along the route you can cadge tools off.
D) How much water am I likely to use? As much as you carry so carry as much as you can fit on your bike. Keep topping your fluid levels up regularly. I took 4 Mars bars also however there's bound to be a more fashionable "energy" alternative these days.
E) What am I thinking in saying yes!! It's a great experience. You'll get home and you'll do the "don't let me ever do that again" routine but a few weeks afterwards you'll be wanting to do it next year. Good luck. Ride safely. Enjoy yourself.
Old 13 June 2011, 05:05 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Think your struggle Gimpy

Trending Topics

Old 13 June 2011, 08:12 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

There's a few guys I know who are going to be doing the LtB and rather than wait for the train / bus / whatever promptly do the BtL
Old 13 June 2011, 09:22 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

why do you need to transfer the name over? just turn up with their number - no ID checks or anything.

otherwise as above - take it easy, don't be embarrassed walking up the trickier hills, drink lots of fluid and tuck the chocolate / energy bars in regularly. it's also worth loading up on multi-vit tablets this week to reduce the cramp.

have fun - I'm doing it again but am starting early to avoid the bottlenecks.

Gordo
Old 13 June 2011, 10:24 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cycling this one is for pussies. Try running the London to Brighton ultra-marathon
Old 15 June 2011, 10:33 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

I'm in.......got my name changed over tonight.

Getting there for 8am. God knows how i am getting there as I don't think you can take your pushbikes on the train or tubes?

Also not got a clue how the hell I am getting back from Brighton. lol Mr Burns, no way am I going to do LtoB then BtoL. LOL

I'm going to struggle as I haven't done any prep but what the hell it's for a good charity.

Just long as I can stop for the odd ciggie and pint on route I'll be happy. lol

Steve
Old 15 June 2011, 10:33 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anger
Think your struggle Gimpy

Tit

Steve
Old 16 June 2011, 11:51 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

you are going to FAIL ill see you at the finish line :
Old 16 June 2011, 02:15 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M444GY
you are going to FAIL ill see you at the finish line :

If he fails then he won't see you, will he?

Give him a lift back - I would but I'm taking the train & bikes are going in one of our vans to be driven back...
Old 16 June 2011, 07:06 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Cheers guys.

I'm in.......got my name changed over tonight.

Getting there for 8am. God knows how i am getting there as I don't think you can take your pushbikes on the train or tubes?

Also not got a clue how the hell I am getting back from Brighton. lol Mr Burns, no way am I going to do LtoB then BtoL. LOL

I'm going to struggle as I haven't done any prep but what the hell it's for a good charity.

Just long as I can stop for the odd ciggie and pint on route I'll be happy. lol

Steve
I took my bike through the tube last year. There's no-one around to really stop you first thing Sunday morning.

The goings pretty easy, you've got all day to do it. Starting at 8am should avoid alot of the crowd.
Old 20 June 2011, 09:23 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Well..........I did it. Was a bloody good time too. How the rest of you guys get on?

I was suprised I did as well as I did. I don't feel to bad today (at present) other than stiff thighs,back and shoulders.

Thought it was going to do **** up when a mile from the first stop my crank started making a odd noise and felt notchy. Got the guys to look at it from Greenford Cycles and tursn out the bolts were mega loose. But later the issue returned so would say I need a replacement.

Witnessed a few crashes . So people were riding like **** at times though. Did anyone see the guy dressed up in French attar etc?

I manged a few hills but bottled the big one and one or two I got half way before I ran out of steam.

What speeds did people get on the down hills? On the final decent I managed 62kph and was told by a marshall to " SLOW DOWN". lol

I did it in a good time I think for my first time and no training what so ever.

Cycle time = 6hrs 27mins , total time with breaks etc = 8hrs 18mins .

Best bit for me was when I got to Brighton seeing my wife and kids cheering me on and high fiving my son before I hit the finish line.

Would I do it again? Hell yeah.

Steve
Old 20 June 2011, 04:22 PM
ScoTTyB
Scooby Regular

Well, after my 'you should be OK' on the tube comment we got turfed out at Oxford Circus whilst waiting for the Victoria line tube. Luckily I'd already planned the route to ride from there to Clapham just incase so we had a nice quiet ride through London. Got to the start and scooted around the side and onto the route to avoid any queuing and delays at 8am (which was out start time)

Did the whole route in about 5 1/2 hours with a stop for some hog roast. Saw a few people lying at the side of the road after some crashes but nothing that looked too serious.

Took my mountain bike this year so I could attempt the beacon, put it in the granny ring and made it up there without stopping which I was pleased about.

Got a little wet just before the beacon and absolutely soaked riding back to the car which we had parked a few miles out of the center the day before.

All in all a good day out and a good achievement.
Old 20 June 2011, 08:14 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Well..........I did it. Was a bloody good time too. How the rest of you guys get on?

I was suprised I did as well as I did. I don't feel to bad today (at present) other than stiff thighs,back and shoulders.

Thought it was going to do **** up when a mile from the first stop my crank started making a odd noise and felt notchy. Got the guys to look at it from Greenford Cycles and tursn out the bolts were mega loose. But later the issue returned so would say I need a replacement.

Witnessed a few crashes . So people were riding like **** at times though. Did anyone see the guy dressed up in French attar etc?

I manged a few hills but bottled the big one and one or two I got half way before I ran out of steam.

What speeds did people get on the down hills? On the final decent I managed 62kph and was told by a marshall to " SLOW DOWN". lol

I did it in a good time I think for my first time and no training what so ever.

Cycle time = 6hrs 27mins , total time with breaks etc = 8hrs 18mins .

Best bit for me was when I got to Brighton seeing my wife and kids cheering me on and high fiving my son before I hit the finish line.

Would I do it again? Hell yeah.

Steve
I did it on Sunday after a 3.30am start to get to London for our start time at 7.30am. We got there over an hour too early though!
Managed the ride in 5hrs 40 with three stops. Almost got up Ditchley Beacon but had to get off with about 100yds to go because it was too crowded. Why did people insist on riding in the centre of the road? When they can easily keep left to let faster riders past.
I saw the guy in the French outfit who shouted 'Bonjour' to everyone by the side of the road. I also saw the lads dressed as the 'Ladies' from Little Britain on a tandem. Mad.
All in all a great day and I would definitely do it again.
Old 20 June 2011, 09:17 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

2 mins over 4 hours for me (grrr, was really trying to go under 4hrs - we wanted to start early but didn't get away til nearly 8, then my mate went over his handlebars after 12 miles and slightly buckled his wheel - so I kept having to wait for him - couldn't get up the hills fast enough because of volume of riders etc). Enjoyed it, though - and 48.3 mph was my max down the steep hill off Ditchling (under the road bridge) - it was nice to be in Brighton before the throngs started to turn up in fancy dress but fair play to them - some real heroes out there (I loved one bloke who had a sidecar made to look like a roman chariot with his son on it dressed as a centurion!)

Gordo