Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Marrakesh

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2011, 08:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Marrakesh

Has anyone been on holiday to Marrakesh, I'm thinking of going there for the summer holidays but I have no idea what the place will be like or where is the best place to be near. Its just always sounded like a nice place to go?
Old 31 May 2011, 09:10 PM
Big Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We wnet years ago and had a blast! Lovely place, lovely people, great weather and seriously cheap.

The only down side is you have to watch what you eat due to dicky tum stuff (as in DON'T eat dairy produce, only bottled water etc)

The usual really
Old 31 May 2011, 09:38 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I spent a week there and would not reccomend it. On the plus there are some truely great restaurants there. I asked the hotel concierge about the best places to eat and some of the dining experiences I had were unbelievable. There are at least five great places to eat. One of them brings you some massive multi course feast with course after course arriving at the table and the two of us were served enough food for ten people. The setting was amazing with great musicians and singers, some guy dropping rose petals on the mrs etc. Another place had a great vibe with belly dancers fire eaters etc. On the negative side trying to soak in the atmosphere in the main square was impossible due to constant harassment and demands for money. It means that just strolling around and enjoying yourself is hard work. We did have a trip to the atlas mountains that was nice but it ended with more carpet hard selling and demands for extra money. Most people I met mainly spoke french so you will need to remember the basics for taxi rides etc. I would only go back to show the current GF what truely opulant eating was. The rest is a ball ache and not at all relaxing.
Old 31 May 2011, 09:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The french speaking side is ok as my daughter has done french for a few years and is really good at it. I know my missus will hate the idea of pushy sales ppeople and possible beggars.
Old 31 May 2011, 10:16 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We went and would only go again if going to Essaouria only

Much better option - Granada, Andalusia for a taste of Tangiers, temples, much cleaner, free tapa and the truly magical Alhambra
Old 31 May 2011, 10:57 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went there a few years ago with the Mrs and had a great time mate. One place I'd recommend is http://bo-zin.com/
Old 01 June 2011, 08:42 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Great hashish and plenty of it about
Old 01 June 2011, 08:51 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We came back with gastro bugs which took 9 months to clear. Mrs bonesetter looked like a Biaffran

Didn't find any hash though :-(

Last edited by bonesetter; 01 June 2011 at 08:53 AM.