Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Temporary Red Lights

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2011, 06:34 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Temporary Red Lights

There was a partial closure of a main road today - 200m of the road was coned off for builders to do something. To stop people crashing into each other, this was controlled by a stop/go board at each end.

I was heading down such that I would have to change lane to "overtake" the obstruction. I moved into the opposite lane before I reached the sign in order that I could see clearly ahead. Light changed from green to red just before I got to it and I was obviously way out of position to stop safely and without causing an obstruction, so I followed the car in front through. As I did, some bloke with a hard hat started taking my picture with an iphone, so I stopped and asked him why & he said "you'll get a notification in the post". Eh?

Now obviously I jumped a red light on paper but if I had been ready to overtake and the light had changed (there was no amber) and stopping would have left me in a dangerous position. But the question I have to ask is - who can enforce traffic light offences? The bloke was not a policeman and looked more like a builder, though I guess he could have been council. As I understand the offence is a TS10 but then that's endorsable, so councils as far as I am aware, cannot issue points. So, how can they issue a fine and what evidence do they have show that I "jumped" the red? This was in London fwiw.

I know councils can do bus lanes, no right turns, box junctions etc as these are now non-endorsable but red lights?
Old 22 May 2011, 06:45 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bloke was pulling yer leg or being the typical manual labourer *****.

You should have got out and kicked him in the babymakers..
Old 22 May 2011, 06:45 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did he get a pic of the red light in the same photo showing you going through?
I think it sounds as though he's trying to panic you
Old 22 May 2011, 06:50 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's only 3 points.
Old 22 May 2011, 06:51 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe he just liked your car, no way that would stand up in court, needs to be proof of the light at red.
Old 22 May 2011, 07:30 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Could he see and film the red lifght from where he was standing?
Old 22 May 2011, 07:35 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

He is a fool, maybe he liked you and wanted your pic or for you to stop and talk to him

You should have asked for him to delete the picture while you were there as he took it without your permission.
Old 24 May 2011, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can you stop people from taking your picture without your permission?

Les
Old 24 May 2011, 12:30 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough if it's a traffic warden or such taking a photo of a car parked illegally but for something that is an endorsable offence I wouldn't have thought an iPhone is good enough. I would have thought the camera would need to be certified in some way, in a certain position to capture the light and the offender and up to a certain standard with relevant information like location, date, time etc. on the photograph.

The picture would have to show you actually passing through the red light. Otherwise you could argue the light changed after you had passed over the line.

I'm not an expert though.
Old 24 May 2011, 01:09 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Many years ago these lights did not have the same status as 'real' traffic lights, but now they do. I guess it will be treated like any other incident where a member of the public reports someone for 'dangerous driving'.

Quiz question, how slow would you have to go to ensure that you could always stop at a red light if there is no amber phase? Clue: the speed is an integer with a value less than one.
Old 24 May 2011, 01:18 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

iphone probably had geotaging enabled, which would have given the location. Time and date information on the image could be matched to the time and date code on the traffic light unit, which would show it's state at that time. Game set and match.

Or at least that's how they would do it on Spooks

Don't worry Puff I doubt it could actually be done.
Old 24 May 2011, 01:31 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I always ignore the stupidly placed temp lights if its safe to go through.
Old 24 May 2011, 01:38 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Section : 36
Sub-Section : 1
Act : Road Traffic Act 1988
Subject : Failing To Comply With The Indication Given By A Traffic Sign

Where a traffic sign of the prescribed size, colour and type or another authorised by the secretary of state has been lawfully placed on or near a road, a person driving who fails to comply with the indication given by the sign is guilty of an offence.

Signs that apply to this act:
Stop Sign
Give Way Sign
Red lights at a level crossing
Keep left
Keep right
Red traffic light signals
Double white lines
No U turn
No entry
One Way

£60 - 3 points.
EE03 - Contravene - Red Light - Road Works

Last edited by specialx; 24 May 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 24 May 2011, 02:09 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

Just say that the photo has been doctored, as being iphone no stamping is done so all info within inc. watermarking can be spoofed and photoshop'd afterwards and no way to prove it hasn't, plus no proof if lights also in picture to show that the light didn't just change or he hit the switch to change it.

Had 2 incidents today much worse than what you did, some crazy bloke in his audi estate came flying up while i was sitting at a set of lights, suddenly then realise he was going to hit me so pulls over to the other side of the road but goes straight through then immeadiatly after lights was a round about so just stayed on the wrong side of road and went across that wrong way missing 1 of those paramedic people carriers they use coming other way towards roundabout with lights on. Then 5 minutes from home mini roundabout my right of way some woman tearing along straight out in front of me, although she'd must have thought game over as my front end only 1" away from impact (thanks prodrive brakes) and she assumed the hand to side of face bracing for impact but then lost control of car and ended up in someones garden

Last edited by BlobEyedRex; 24 May 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 24 May 2011, 06:35 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlobEyedRex
Just say that the photo has been doctored, as being iphone no stamping is done so all info within inc. watermarking can be spoofed and photoshop'd afterwards and no way to prove it hasn't, plus no proof if lights also in picture to show that the light didn't just change or he hit the switch to change it.

Had 2 incidents today much worse than what you did, some crazy bloke in his audi estate came flying up while i was sitting at a set of lights, suddenly then realise he was going to hit me so pulls over to the other side of the road but goes straight through then immeadiatly after lights was a round about so just stayed on the wrong side of road and went across that wrong way missing 1 of those paramedic people carriers they use coming other way towards roundabout with lights on. Then 5 minutes from home mini roundabout my right of way some woman tearing along straight out in front of me, although she'd must have thought game over as my front end only 1" away from impact (thanks prodrive brakes) and she assumed the hand to side of face bracing for impact but then lost control of car and ended up in someones garden
I'd start going home a different way
Old 24 May 2011, 08:06 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I'd start going home a different way

yeah would be nice but thanks to the local council they have made streets no left turn from one end so i have to use this route, unless you want to gamble doing left turns into my road which some people do, but plod have started camping out watching for that, suppose nice easy bust for them gives em more time to enjoy the donuts

Last edited by BlobEyedRex; 24 May 2011 at 08:10 PM.