Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

3 high-back child seats in a car

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2011, 09:40 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 high-back child seats in a car

Got talking to somebody who works for the AA at a BBQ and got onto the fact we are expecting our 3rd child.
He pointed out a fact we were unaware of, that being that 3 high-back child seats are not safe if all fitted in the rear of the vehicle (5 seaters). Also you cant have the middle child in a booster cusion between the other two high-back seats as they become the meat in the sandwhich. Now if like us you cant switch off the front air-bag, then you are pretty much screwed, until at least 2 of the kids are old enough for booster cusions.
The exception to this being if the rear seat is wide enough that the high-back seats are not rubbing against each other.
So after all that ...........is anyone here found themselves in the same situation. If so what car did you have/did you get?

I want to avoid your 7 seaters at all cost...well almost.
Old 15 May 2011, 10:01 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mitsubishi make the Outlander. Its a 4x4 SUV thing, has 7 seats and looks ok i think. Looked at a few but settled on a Freelander 2 as dont need 7 seats.

Spread your kids out a bit!
Old 15 May 2011, 10:05 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

We had the same dilemma, bought an X5 in the end though went the whole hog and got a 4.6 v8 model. Cracking car, loads of space and performance to match the wrx and cheaper to tax than most recent family saloons.
Old 15 May 2011, 10:14 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Mercedes ml will take 3 next to each other
Old 15 May 2011, 10:17 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

As the fella said, most will take the 3 seats in the back, but he said its a definite no no, if they are coming into contact with one another.

Im thinking surely to christ the likes of the Freelander, Audi Avant, BMW Touring and the likes are bound to manage the 3 across the back.
Old 15 May 2011, 10:44 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

You would be surprised how few cars can actually take three normal sized seats across the rear bench.
We tried all sorts, it came down to the x5 really as I couldn't face buying a horrible 7 seater.
Old 15 May 2011, 10:49 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 97TURBO
As the fella said, most will take the 3 seats in the back, but he said its a definite no no, if they are coming into contact with one another.

Im thinking surely to christ the likes of the Freelander, Audi Avant, BMW Touring and the likes are bound to manage the 3 across the back.

I dont think you will get 3 full child seat accross the back if a freelander as i have one. Important thing is they must not touch it says....even a BMW 5 series would not work, had one of them too and i think they would tocuh due to the bolsters on he rear seats, they are huge!
Old 15 May 2011, 10:52 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Dare i say it, but the newer Scenics have 3 individual seats in the back that can all move back or forward separately
Old 15 May 2011, 10:54 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Don't know if this is any good -
http://www.multimac.co.uk/car_seats
Old 15 May 2011, 11:02 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't understand why this matters. If the child-seats are properly strapped down, level and flat against the backrest of the car-seat, what difference does it make if the child-seats are touching slightly? Did the AA guy also say the side of the child-seats must not under any circumstances touch the side of the door?
Old 16 May 2011, 07:44 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zip106
Don't know if this is any good -
http://www.multimac.co.uk/car_seats
£1100 for a car seat!! WOW
Old 16 May 2011, 07:50 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamo
£1100 for a car seat!! WOW
Against the cost of upgrading your car, maybe not.
Old 16 May 2011, 08:46 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed, but still a lot considering one can be purchased for around £100.
Old 16 May 2011, 08:49 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

We have a 7 seater Zafira and a yellow 12 seater Transit with red racing stripes
Old 16 May 2011, 10:21 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I am not sure if it is a legal requirement to only have two forward facing seats in the back... Is it?

I haven't looked I to it though, so will have a look out of curiosity.

That said, I don't know of any 5 seated cars will fit three child seats in the back, and I know for a fact you would never get a baby carrier in between the two forward facing ones.
I used to drive a modeo estate, and there was plenty of room in the back for 3 'average' size adults, but no chance of getting three seats in of any kind.

The worst thing you can do is start looking at child seats based on their size to fit in the back, safety first and all that, but that's obvious, so I won't go on.

I would say that without looking at your 7 seaters you might be a bit stumped. BUT, I am also equally as sceptical about sitting children who are in car seats in a part of the car that is technically the boot.
I know that can not always be helped and in most circumstances that is the norm now car seats are compulsory. But the middle of the car is the safest place for a child to travel.

Not much help from me I don't suppose.
Old 16 May 2011, 10:30 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

There is a journo in Evo who has 4 seats (i think) fixed across the back seat of his M3 - photos in the Our cars section - might be worth checking that kit out - they may do a 3 seat version or whatever
Old 16 May 2011, 10:45 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I can find any info that states you cannot put three seats in the back, but I don't think there has been any new laws set regarding car seats since 2009, all I can find is info saying that if they fit in the back, and have been correctly fitted, it's fine.

There are revisions in place that *advise* parents that children under two should travel in a rear facing seat until two years of age. It's not a legal requirement, yet, but they are trying to push this to be legal.

I know this bloke wasn't trying to sell you a seat or seats, as you were at a BBQ, but I would try and see if you can put 3 seats in your car, or another 5 seater before you consider a larger car (if you really don't want one).
Old 16 May 2011, 10:48 AM
Caged "R"
Scooby Regular

A 5 series estate does accomodate 3 seats across the back seat
Old 16 May 2011, 11:22 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

My next door neighbours had this problem and ended up with a C4 Picasso .
Old 16 May 2011, 11:22 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
There is a journo in Evo who has 4 seats (i think) fixed across the back seat of his M3 - photos in the Our cars section - might be worth checking that kit out - they may do a 3 seat version or whatever
Yep - that's the Multimac I linked to further up the thread ^^
Old 16 May 2011, 04:00 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

oops Sorry chaps

FB

PS Mrs FB has a Renault Grand Espace - we have two kids seats in the middle row and have had a 3rd on occasion. All seemed to work well
Old 16 May 2011, 08:40 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

We have a Ford CMax that we initially fitted it with two "group 2-3" and one "group 1" in the middle. Now the little one is older we have three "group 2-3", though admittedly getting to the buckle for the middle seat is a little tight.
Old 16 May 2011, 09:49 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

From what i understand it is not law, rather conveniently though. After the law was reviewed stating such and such a child must be in a high back seat, it was then discovered that most cars cant take 3 in the back comfortably. The seat manufacturers advise that if the seats are in contact with one another they are then not able to perform to their highest standard. Basically your child is supposed to be in a cocoon that will take the impact and move with it (within reason). Having the seats cramped together could be lethal to the child in the centre if there was a side on collision.
What the law states and what the safety folk state, are two very different things.
Old 16 May 2011, 10:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
Against the cost of upgrading your car, maybe not.
or even your children
Old 16 May 2011, 11:20 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

From what i understand it is not law, rather conveniently though. After the law was reviewed stating such and such a child must be in a high back seat, it was then discovered that most cars cant take 3 in the back comfortably. The seat manufacturers advise that if the seats are in contact with one another they are then not able to perform to their highest standard. Basically your child is supposed to be in a cocoon that will take the impact and move with it (within reason). Having the seats cramped together could be lethal to the child in the centre if there was a side on collision.
What the law states and what the safety folk state, are two very different things.
I can't find any information to support that having 3 child seats in the rear would be lethal for the child in the centre. The Group 2-3 seats provide protection and support for the hip, side and head areas. I wouldn't put a child in the 3rd row of a 7 seater as I consider that more dangerous as the child is virtually sitting in the rear crumple zone where many more impacts occur compared to side impacts.
Old 17 May 2011, 08:49 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I can't find any information to support that having 3 child seats in the rear would be lethal for the child in the centre. The Group 2-3 seats provide protection and support for the hip, side and head areas. I wouldn't put a child in the 3rd row of a 7 seater as I consider that more dangerous as the child is virtually sitting in the rear crumple zone where many more impacts occur compared to side impacts.
That's basically what I said earlier.

My brother has a 7 seater nissan qashqai, an I would not put anyone in the back, never mind a child.

There is no simple answer.
New car? Wait to have another child? Drive a mini bus?

I am sure there is a car/cars and a seats out there somewhere that will accommodate three seats safely. Knave come across websites that recommend sears that people have fitted in, but who knows that they are fitted safely?