Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Saving Habit ..

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2011, 01:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face The Saving Habit ..

With all this talk of savings products and me giving you all the nod on the NS&I Certs.

I noticed that, according to figures out this week, the average savings amount has dropped over the past 3 months.

The average 3 monthly savings figure now stands at around £1700 ... which is down on the previous 3 months.

This represents just £567 saving per month per person - which is staggeringly low

The report suggests that people are paying down debt and this is why the savings are being hit hard.

I would be really saddened if I could only save £567 a month - I know I am talking to the converted wealthy of Scoobynet ...... but I find it shocking!

We need to get through to people that they need to save much more for their future .. how to?

Last edited by pslewis; 12 May 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12 May 2011, 01:20 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way to encourage people to save more is to pay them enough so that they can afford to save in the first place.
Old 12 May 2011, 01:21 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I thought saving was 'bad' for the economy?
Old 12 May 2011, 01:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

People need to secure their own future finances in old age - the Pensions are going to be pathetic!

I know Scoobynet members are way up there in the wealth stakes .... but, just £567 a month savings, that shouldn't really be allowed to happen in a rich economy like ours!?

Last edited by pslewis; 12 May 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12 May 2011, 01:27 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Saving is bad for the economy. We need people to spend. And buy things on credit.

However too much spending is bad, as is buying things on credit. However without that, the economy is stuffed. So go out and spend all you can. And if you can't spend enough, borrow it.

But don't forget to save because lots of people are loosing their jobs and you might be one of them. So save. And spend.

Easy isn't it.

But whatever you do, don't feel sorry for Pete. He drives a car that does 55mpg, and can save substantially more than £567 a month. Of course he should be spending it, see above, but where's the fun in that.
Old 12 May 2011, 01:34 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
People need to secure their own future finances in old age - the Pensions are going to be pathetic!

I know Scoobynet members are way up there in the wealth stakes .... but, just £567 a month savings, that shouldn't really be allowed to happen in a rich economy like ours!?
Pete I'm surprised that it is even that much. I'm not sure I even believe those figure.

My impression is that the 'average' person basically lives month to month. How do you put away almost £600 per month when paying for everything (rent or mortage, car, petrol, council tax, food, holidays, booze) and on an average wage?
Old 12 May 2011, 01:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I would LOVE to spend my money!!!

I have enough saved to last my lifetime, so I could spend all my income - only I have nothing to buy!! NOTHING!

I guess when you get to my age you have everything you need ... and you don't want for anything?

I mean, a Sofa with a 10 year warranty is actually pointless now ... the stuffing will escape me before it does the furniture!

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2011, 01:36 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
Saving is bad for the economy. We need people to spend. And buy things on credit.

However too much spending is bad, as is buying things on credit. However without that, the economy is stuffed. So go out and spend all you can. And if you can't spend enough, borrow it.

But don't forget to save because lots of people are loosing their jobs and you might be one of them. So save. And spend.

Easy isn't it.

But whatever you do, don't feel sorry for Pete. He drives a car that does 55mpg, and can save substantially more than £567 a month. Of course he should be spending it, see above, but where's the fun in that.

Credit just always peeps to push fwd purchases. I don't see how it increases net demand though...only the timing? Surely once those purchases have been pushed fwd that is it? Now you have them!
Old 12 May 2011, 01:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I mean, a Sofa with a 10 year warranty is actually pointless now
A Diesel Civic?
Old 12 May 2011, 01:41 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

I have enough saved to last my lifetime, so I could spend all my income - only I have nothing to buy!! NOTHING!

I guess when you get to my age you have everything you need ... and you don't want for anything?

I mean, a Sofa with a 10 year warranty is actually pointless now ... the stuffing will escape me before it does the furniture!
So you have all this cash but wouldnt spend it on a new impreza and bought a civic insted? Your a long time dead and what goods all that cash then!
Old 12 May 2011, 01:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Found where I read it from ....

From ING Direct:-

New research from ING Direct has shown that the average Briton has seen their savings fall by around £100 since the last quarter.

This is a drop of 2.8 per cent and leaves the average savings in the UK at around £1,783 over the quarter. The savings drop is being brought about by the rising cost of living, unemployment and tax rises. The latest fall in savings leaves Britons’ rainy day funds at the lowest they have been since ING Direct began tracking the data two years ago.

The research found that 41 per cent of people are now dipping into their savings to pay for everyday items like food and petrol. The analysis also suggested that a growing number of people are trying to pay off debt such as overdrafts and credit cards amidst fears about job security.

However, nearly a third of those surveyed said that they plan to rebuild their savings later this year if the economy improves.

Commenting on the findings, ING Direct Senior Economist James Knightley said, “You would expect to see a downward push on savings levels post-Christmas, but a like-for-like fall on the same fiscal quarter suggests that there is more at play than simple seasonal variation.”
-----------------------

£1783 saved over a quarter .... I knew it was around that.
Old 12 May 2011, 01:48 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Has no one learned not to believe anything Lewis says?
Old 12 May 2011, 01:49 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Thats around about what i can save every month from my full time wage, I thought I was doing well ?

You can buy things for me if youd like ?
Old 12 May 2011, 01:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
So you have all this cash but wouldnt spend it on a new impreza and bought a civic insted? Your a long time dead and what goods all that cash then!
Having all this cash doesn't make you stupid - I'm still clever enough to select the Honda!
Old 12 May 2011, 01:51 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Having all this cash doesn't make you stupid - I'm still clever enough to select the Honda!
Join the Honda forum then and talk to all the other tight *****
Old 12 May 2011, 01:52 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
Thats around about what i can save every month from my full time wage, I thought I was doing well ?

You can buy things for me if youd like ?
You are up there with the average then if you are saving £567 a month - that's OK!

Yes, I could buy you anything you wanted
Old 12 May 2011, 01:53 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The average 3 monthly savings figure now stands at around £1700 ... which is down on the previous 3 months.

This represents just £567 saving per month per person - which is staggeringly low
Sauce?

The average person saves £567 a month? Thats cobblers.

If the average person had £567 available as savings every month why is the average person in debt up to the eyeballs.

This "average person" felt that saving £567 a month whilst owing the "average" debt of what £15K? Is a good idea.
Old 12 May 2011, 01:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantom
Has no one learned not to believe anything Lewis says?
Nearly everyone, but we still have to indulge him every so often apparently
Old 12 May 2011, 01:56 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

You are up there with the average then if you are saving £567 a month - that's OK!
average

Yes, I could buy you anything you wanted
How about a simtek and a FMIC ?
Old 12 May 2011, 01:58 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I've been saving quite a lot more than that but then I'm single and have lowish expenses.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:00 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's some average! I suspect if the average person had that kind of money spare, we wouldn't be sitting with interest rates near zero. The figures might be correct, but of course with nature of averages you've probably got a small percentage saving serious money and the rest not able to save at all.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Average wage is about £25k. I think you are doing well to put aside £7k per year out of that. In fact I don't believe it.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:22 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

moi ? ^
Old 12 May 2011, 02:28 PM
ChrisB

I presume this is the report that Pete is working himself into a lather over : Consumer Savings Monitor Report - Q1 2011 (PDF)

Q1 2011 figures report a median savings of £1783, down £51. In then goes on to explain:

The ordinary man or woman in the UK currently has £1,783 in readily accessible cash savings in banks and building societies
So people aren't paying ~£590 into savings each month.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:36 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
I presume this is the report that Pete is working himself into a lather over : Consumer Savings Monitor Report - Q1 2011 (PDF)

Q1 2011 figures report a median savings of £1783, down £51. In then goes on to explain:

So people aren't paying ~£590 into savings each month.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:37 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Average wage is about £25k. I think you are doing well to put aside £7k per year out of that. In fact I don't believe it.
Thing is, most people on that kind of money will be putting away zero. They get used to living right up to their limit in good times, then if their borrowing costs go up at all they're in the sh*t.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:39 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Thing is, most people on that kind of money will be putting away zero. They get used to living right up to their limit in good times, then if their borrowing costs go up at all they're in the sh*t.
Yes exactly. I knew Pete's figures were wrong.

If the average person was saving 7k from 25k before tax we would be a nation of phenomenal savers....which we are not.
Old 12 May 2011, 02:43 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Yes exactly. I knew Pete's figures were wrong.

If the average person was saving 7k from 25k before tax we would be a nation of phenomenal savers....which we are not.
Yip. It would be a better place, contrary to popular belief.

The average working wage isn't £25k anyway, it's £75k. That's what Pete says anyway?!
Old 12 May 2011, 02:51 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

'Lies,damn lies & PSLewis'
Old 12 May 2011, 03:33 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Sauce?

The average person saves £567 a month? Thats cobblers.

If the average person had £567 available as savings every month why is the average person in debt up to the eyeballs.

This "average person" felt that saving £567 a month whilst owing the "average" debt of what £15K? Is a good idea.
Source? How about PSL's vivid imagination?
If the average Brit saves £567 a month then how come one in four is struggling to make needs meet?

http://www.mortgageintroducer.com/mo...ends_meet_.htm

This entire thread is yet another one of Pete's "Look at how rich and comfortable I am" threads.

Quick Reply: The Saving Habit ..