Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Combatting nerves for an interview panel, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2011, 01:17 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combatting nerves for an interview panel, help!

Just been told I have an interview next week, and an now nervous as my fears have been confirmed. The interview panel I'll be facing are people I know, 1 of which I've known for 8+ years. This is an internal job role within the current dept, not so much of a promotion, more of a diagonal step up.

Whats the ways you have found that worked for combatting nerves.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:29 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Rescue Remedy. I swear by it.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:32 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Night nurse - about a pint
Old 09 May 2011, 01:34 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Apart from the obvious (getting drunk) which might not result in the desired outcome (assuming you want the job), make sure you're prepared.

Put yourself in the interviewers shoes and think what question they might ask, and prepare a reply. Why do you want to leave your current job, what attracts you to the new department, what will you bring to that role. That should increase your confidence before the event, even if they don't ask those questions.

Be prepared to request some conditions, e.g. training.

Don't forget that they need someone to perform that role, and you are the best candidate
Old 09 May 2011, 01:36 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I had a bit of a revelation a few years ago.

Don't think as if it's them interviewing to employ you.

Rather think of it as you are finding more about the job & company and if you want the position.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Apart from the obvious (getting drunk) which might not result in the desired outcome (assuming you want the job), make sure you're prepared.

Put yourself in the interviewers shoes and think what question they might ask, and prepare a reply. Why do you want to leave your current job, what attracts you to the new department, what will you bring to that role. That should increase your confidence before the event, even if they don't ask those questions.

Be prepared to request some conditions, e.g. training.

Don't forget that they need someone to perform that role, and you are the best candidate
+1 good advice!
Old 09 May 2011, 01:41 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

I do, I've been waiting for this for 4 months!

I am the best candiadate, I already do the job! (when the guy that does it is on leave or over worked (dept expansion)).

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2011, 01:45 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

preparation is confidence. knowing you have researched the role and memorized your resume as well as some situations you have handled, you will be fine. you'll have the answers.

in the interview, don't blurt or stutter - think about your answer whilst taking a breath and then talk.

don't forget the question you are answering. if you find yourself digressing, get back to the point and the required answer.

don't be too funny, regardless of how well you know the panel.

don't be afraid to say you don't know the answer. maybe explain how you might tackle finding a solution though. you can't know everything, but they will want to realize you won't be phased and will go find a proper solution.

knowledge and preparation = confidence
Old 09 May 2011, 02:41 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChefDude
preparation is confidence. knowing you have researched the role and memorized your resume as well as some situations you have handled, you will be fine. you'll have the answers.

in the interview, don't blurt or stutter - think about your answer whilst taking a breath and then talk.

don't forget the question you are answering. if you find yourself digressing, get back to the point and the required answer.

don't be too funny, regardless of how well you know the panel.

don't be afraid to say you don't know the answer. maybe explain how you might tackle finding a solution though. you can't know everything, but they will want to realize you won't be phased and will go find a proper solution.

knowledge and preparation = confidence
I think that is an excellent summary

As said take a moment before you respond and be serious but with a smile here and there. Say thanks when it's finished.

Best of luck. d
Old 09 May 2011, 02:43 PM
New_scooby_04

The pieces of advice I would give are

1) Make sure you know what skills/qualities/experience the role requires

2) Make sure you can lay claim to the above skills/qualities/experience be prepared to evidence any claim you make. Anyone can say "I'm good at x or y" but can you back it up?

3) Be concise and don't waffle; many people advocate the STAR approach to answering questions i.e structure your answer to any question so that when you're evidencing something you've done, you briefly cover the:

Situation
Task
Action
Result

Whatever you do though, don't make the panel feel like they have to work to get any information out of you. If you're unsure as to whether you've given enough detail to respond to a question, ask!

4) Address the person speaking to you, but give the occasional sweep around the rest of the panel to check for comprehension of what you're saying.

5) Asking for clarification is a good way of buying time if you can't think of anything off hand! It' not necessarily bad to admit you don't know something, bit try not to say "I don't know" too much, if at all; it's all in the wording!

6) Watch your posture and body language at all times: you must project confidence even if you don't feel that way. Many interviews are blown before the candidate even opens their mouth due to simply things like slouching, not making eye contact. Interviews have a large social component and you need to present yourself accordingly! Remember, it's not an ordeal, it's an opportunity; you are not a victim, you are an active participant!

7) As a result of the above: be friendly, but do not come across as flippant; be serious, but do not come across as supercilious.

Good luck!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 09 May 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09 May 2011, 02:45 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you have no reason to be worried. Since you know them it'll be more of a formality and a chat than a formal interview.
Old 09 May 2011, 03:26 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6bWb7oEuE
Old 09 May 2011, 03:42 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
I had a bit of a revelation a few years ago.

Don't think as if it's them interviewing to employ you.

Rather think of it as you are finding more about the job & company and if you want the position.
Spot on.
Old 09 May 2011, 03:52 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

3) Be concise and don't waffle; many people advocate the STAR approach to answering questions i.e structure your answer to any question so that when you're evidencing something you've done, you briefly cover the:

Situation
Task
Action
Result

Whatever you do though, don't make the panel feel like they have to work to get any information out of you. If you're unsure as to whether you've given enough detail to respond to a question, ask!

Ns04
thats a top tip. many civil servant companies employ STAR for interviews now, so knowing how you are going to be interviewed is half the battle!!

many interviews I have been to ask questions like "tell us a time you have done this..." - so make sure you have a good think before hand about what questions they are likely to ask, and have answers prepared.

One I had the other day was "tell us about a time you have had to adapt quickly to a new situation" - if you expect loads of questions like this, then you can prepare your answers before hand.

good luck!
Old 09 May 2011, 04:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Rescue Remedy. I swear by it.
Gives me terrible indigestion.

Someone recommended it to me for exam nerves and I spent 2 exams feeling like carp all the way through.
Old 09 May 2011, 06:58 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Deep breath and preparation, find out if this is a compentence based interview or an informal chat type.

If its competence based ask which competences it will cover and prepare for it with both positives and negitives, practice in front of your better half or if you have a good friend at work get a meeting room and run it by them in an interview condidtion.

Confidence is key, if you are confident you should be able to talk about yourself and the role without being too nervous once you get started.

Eitherway good luck I am sure you will be fine.
Old 10 May 2011, 02:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well you know them all so that is a good start. You don't need to put on any kind of an act, just be yourself,self confident but not over the top, and be respectful.

Good luck.

Les
Old 10 May 2011, 03:33 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

***** house a hour before the interview
Old 10 May 2011, 03:44 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Don`t fart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AMgagxCvZQ
Old 19 May 2011, 12:56 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Well, it was yesterday if anyones interested and probably not 1 of my best performances.

Question on my mind now is what happens if I don't get it, bearing in mind I cover 50 - 60% of the new role when needed due to a colleagues leave. What happens if I don't get it, do I still get asked to cover? Although my thoughts are thats a little unfair.
Old 19 May 2011, 12:59 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I suppose it's just the waiting game now. Good luck
Old 19 May 2011, 01:28 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Ahhhhhh, Takes me back does this. Brilliant.
Old 19 May 2011, 02:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Well, it was yesterday if anyones interested and probably not 1 of my best performances.

Question on my mind now is what happens if I don't get it, bearing in mind I cover 50 - 60% of the new role when needed due to a colleagues leave. What happens if I don't get it, do I still get asked to cover? Although my thoughts are thats a little unfair.
We all look forward to you telling us you are successful.

Les
Old 19 May 2011, 02:56 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Have a W@NK just before......NOT DURING!.....thats important!.....

Good luck!