Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Petrol: ARE we being ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2011, 03:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Petrol: ARE we being ripped off?

Now from what I know about petrol, the price is made up of the tax the government takes and the price to the fuel company.

I know it USED to be about 69p per litre in tax.

And that the rest, at the time I looked, was for the fuel companies: around 38p. Way back when.

Now the price has leapt to £1.35 + a litre, can anyone say whether the money going to the fuel companies is still the same compared to the price of crude? Or have they put it up by MORE than the price of crude has risen?

The problem being that with fuel prices affected by tax, crude oil price and oil company profits, we seem to have lost track of who, or what, is to blame for the latest round of fuel price hikes, we no longer know who to blame, so we blame no-one and on and on it goes.

Anyone shed any simplified light on it?

MY guess is that the fuel companies are taking more than their fair share..........
Old 26 April 2011, 04:02 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bit of both to be honest. The oil price has gone up, but as it is part way driven by how much oil the oil companies choose to produce it is hardly a free market.

However I worked it out that the goverment are getting 7p more a litre than they were 12 months ago in tax so if they were serious about lessening the burden on the working man or if they even knew what the working man looked like they could do it.

The fact is they don't give a crap about the working man or working families despite what they say to the contrary.
Old 26 April 2011, 04:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tories aren't about to help the ordinary 'man-in-the-street' ... the rich get their fuel paid for them from their companies, they don't care one jot.

And why should you care if you have a personal inherited fortune in the £15 million area like Cameron and Osbourne. They haven't worked an hour for their vast wealth, they have no idea.

In answer to your fuel question, I believe that the Oil Companies are pushing the price until something snaps .... it is the usual Retail way of doing things - charge what the customer will pay (not what it actually can be sold for). Look at the Impreza STi for example ..... £33,450 for a plastic Hatchback? Come on, they are taking the mickey and will do until people stop buying.

So, we all should cut our consumption of fuel to drive the price down - I've done my bit, I'm now getting 55mpg ...... how about you lot doing likewise?
Old 26 April 2011, 04:23 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
A bit of both to be honest. The oil price has gone up, but as it is part way driven by how much oil the oil companies choose to produce it is hardly a free market.
wrong.

OPEC slowed oil production to raise the barrel price about 2 yrs ago, even had a press conference to say they were doing it. "Oil companies" have little to do with oil cost per barrel, OPEC have 85+% of the oil. It IS down to them.
Old 26 April 2011, 04:27 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Sort of SpecD.... Oil companies do not put oil straight from OPEC in petrol pumps.

It is no surprise that each one makes billions in profits each year. The reason being they buy the stuff well in advance but change the price to you depending on day to day changes so you are paying today's price for oil they bought 6 months a go for 25% less than they are now charging you.

Also, they always claim they make no money from the forcourts, the cash is in refining etc... who refines it? Well, they do so they charge themselves a nice big fee for it and pass that to you.

OPEC was formed simply to keep a stable price and stop any one country driving the others under the floor by sellign cheap. Its a cartel but one that has at least been honest about what it is doing.

5t.
Old 26 April 2011, 04:28 PM
xdave
Scooby Regular

It's all tax tax and more tax , some of the dealers are earning as little 1.8 pence a litre
Old 26 April 2011, 04:47 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I blame the Government myself .... and so should you.

Give them a bloody nose come the elections in a weeks time!!
Old 26 April 2011, 04:59 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who to blame depends on your views. Who's getting a pay rise in line with (supposed) inflation? If you aren't, you'll naturally find things more expensive to buy relative to your earnings.

But re: the oil companies - they could charge a million pounds a barrel if they wanted. See my bankers thread about not understanding capitalism.

OPOC certainly don't control anywhere near 85% of the market, as someone has suggested.
Old 26 April 2011, 05:20 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

The tax is the problem.
Old 26 April 2011, 05:24 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
wrong.

OPEC slowed oil production to raise the barrel price about 2 yrs ago, even had a press conference to say they were doing it. "Oil companies" have little to do with oil cost per barrel, OPEC have 85+% of the oil. It IS down to them.
Er.... OPEC are the representative of the oil producing nations and in those nations the outfits producing the oil are oil companies
Old 26 April 2011, 05:27 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Don't know tbh.

All I do know is that it cost me 145.9p for SUL today
Old 26 April 2011, 05:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

OK, but none of that answers my question: IS the priece rise justified by the extra tax and the rise in crude prices? Or have the oil companies added a bit on too?
Old 26 April 2011, 05:30 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

UK is no where near the most expensive.......stop moaning, fuel's hard to make and is over taxed...go on a parliamentary killing spree with a "cut fuel costs" note in your pocket!

I have sly news on, waiting for the "reckoning"

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 26 April 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 26 April 2011, 05:30 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
But re: the oil companies - they could charge a million pounds a barrel if they wanted. See my bankers thread about not understanding capitalism.
Sort of. In theory yes, they can charge what they like if they were a monopoly but they aren't they are a cartel, nothing more. To actually charge what they like they'd need to get the US etc to join the club but they also know that price would be unsustainable as the global economy couldn't cope.

There has always been agreements with oil using nations to keep the price below a certain level (although OPEC ensure it won't drop below a certain level either).

The real problem is those cheap jeans people buy in Tesco. China and India have slurped up a lot of oil to make you cheap goods. At the end of the day, you might have a £5 t-shirt but you are paying through the pumps for it.

5t
Old 26 April 2011, 05:32 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
The real problem is those cheap jeans people buy in Tesco. China and India have slurped up a lot of oil to make you cheap goods. At the end of the day, you might have a £5 t-shirt but you are paying through the pumps for it.
Extremely well put
Old 26 April 2011, 05:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

UK is no where near the most expensive.......stop moaning, fuel's hard to make and is over taxed...go on a parliamentary killing spree with a "cut fuel costs" note in your pocket!

I have sly news on, waiting for the "reckoning"
Give over: according to that only ONE country has more expensive diesel than us.

And just about half have cheaper petrol.

Last edited by alcazar; 26 April 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 26 April 2011, 05:48 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

/Our diesel is clearly expensive, but petrol is not so......and since our income is higher than "most" of those countries its on a par really isn't it!....
Old 26 April 2011, 06:07 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html
Old 26 April 2011, 06:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The Tories aren't about to help the ordinary 'man-in-the-street' ... the rich get their fuel paid for them from their companies, they don't care one jot.

And why should you care if you have a personal inherited fortune in the £15 million area like Cameron and Osbourne. They haven't worked an hour for their vast wealth, they have no idea.

In answer to your fuel question, I believe that the Oil Companies are pushing the price until something snaps .... it is the usual Retail way of doing things - charge what the customer will pay (not what it actually can be sold for). Look at the Impreza STi for example ..... £33,450 for a plastic Hatchback? Come on, they are taking the mickey and will do until people stop buying.

So, we all should cut our consumption of fuel to drive the price down - I've done my bit, I'm now getting 55mpg ...... how about you lot doing likewise?

Only 55 mpg ?

Wonder what my push bike does ?

2 months on one tank of petrol in my car.
Old 26 April 2011, 06:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

/Our diesel is clearly expensive, but petrol is not so......and since our income is higher than "most" of those countries its on a par really isn't it!....
Our income? Per capita?

Shouldn't that be put in the context of our standard of living, which is lower than MANY on there?
Old 26 April 2011, 06:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html

From the above, there is LESS tax on diesel.

So WHY is OUR diesel dearer than evry country in Europe but one?

Don't anyone tell me THAT ain't profiteering
Old 26 April 2011, 06:58 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Course it's a rip off,i remember back when the only things running on diesel were heavy goods vehicles even the transit vans were running on petrol,as soon as people started turning to diesel in there private vehicles the price of diesel started to climb.
Oil companys take there share but the government just take the p*ss and theres bugger all we can do about it except grin and bear it.............
Old 26 April 2011, 07:31 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Forget the goverment.......its these guys making the money:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8645740.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-company.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...n-2202849.html

They could afford to put the price down a bit
Old 27 April 2011, 08:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ah yes..............the honest John petrol companies, those who make only a couple of pence a litre profit.........

Yet somehow have money to refurbish their outlets every couple of years or so.
Old 27 April 2011, 09:23 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Forget the goverment.......its these guys making the money:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8645740.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...h-company.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...n-2202849.html

They could afford to put the price down a bit
You need to wake up and smell the coffee!
We need numbers!

From: The Fair Fuel UK Campaign [mailto:campaignnews@fairfueluk.com]
Sent: 22 April 2011 18:25
To:
Subject: Fair Fuel UK Campaign Post Budget Update

The FairFuelUK Update from Quentin Willson

Thank you for signing the FairFuelUK campaign petition. You were one of the 140,000 that helped us force the scrapping of the 5p fuel duty rise and made George Osborne become the first Chancellor for a decade to reduce duty. YOU MADE THAT HAPPEN. Believe it or not, prices would have been 6p even more on the increasing levels we have been seeing since the Budget. So, while we managed to get the government's undivided attention to the Budget day, they have failed us since.

The miserable 1p reduction in duty was swallowed up overnight and proved that tinkering round the edges and making empty political gestures achieves nothing. In fact I'd say the government made themselves look very foolish during the budget. Fuel duty is out of control. All our dire warnings are coming true. The £1.50 litre of diesel is probably only weeks away and the IMF agree that rising crude oil prices are a serious threat to UK growth. £2.00 a litre for diesel could become a awful reality.

On the website www.fairfueluk.com we have outlined the next phase of the FairFuelUK Campaign. We intend to focus on these 3 long haul campaign objectives with your support.
1. Try to stop all further duty rises on fuel in this Parliament
2. Aim to acheive parity with Europe in terms of duty. We pay on average 24p more than our EU colleagues
3. Set up an effective fair fuel price stabiliser
With over 30 million drivers in the UK we can make a difference, a real diffrence. We can force the government to control duty and protect the economy. If each one of you contact at least ten of your friends, relatives and colleagues we'll have over a million signatures. And if they do the same too, we'll have several million more. Just imagine how insecure those MPs will feel with this much pressure on their constituency seats.

Our new plans are set out at www.fairfueluk.com. Fuel is cheap, its the tax duty that's villainously expensive. So contact as many people as you can and let's start multiplying those numbers. Only together can we make this absolute insanity stop.

Thanks again for your support..

Quentin Willson
FairFuelUK

http://www.fairfueluk.com
For more details, contact:
Peter Carroll, Fair Fuel UK Campaign - Mob: 07866 800755
Lynne Beaumont, Fair Fuel UK Campaign - Mob: 07885940945
Howard ***, Fair Fuel UK Campaign - Mob: 07515 421611
This is email is NOT SPAM. You are receiving this email because you signed the Fair Fuel UK Petition with this email address: and agreed to receive updates while this campaign is live - If you do not wish to receive future notifications of what is happening in the Fair Fuel UK Campaign please click Unsubscribe to FFUK - IF you have unsubscribed before, please accept our apologies as due to the huge amount of emails we may have missed your instruction. Please unsubscribe again if this is the case and you will not be sent update emails in the future.
Old 27 April 2011, 09:37 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

A few years ago when that Farmer led the line against fuel getting to £1 a litre had the Government by the ***** ..... he, and his 'team' could have demanded a lot more than they got - all they got was empty promises. I'm sure the frightners were put on them (or he was paid off).

Now we sit on our hands with prices 40% higher .... clearly there is no stomach for a fight and therefore we must just smile and get on with it.
Old 27 April 2011, 09:45 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think we can protest outside refineries as its now classed as terrorism or some such carp. Not sure what would happen if you had 300 people outside Chevon - I'm sure the media would be interested.

It's crazy driving past Tesco and seeing the price creep up. It creeps up by 2p a week now. Its gone up this morning to 136.9 for normal petrol.

Be interesting to see if they really do bring in the stabiliser thing. I'm sure it will be skewed in the governments favour though.
Old 27 April 2011, 09:51 AM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

I wonder if these prices have anything to do with bringing the UK deficit down quicker?
I thought price fixing was illegal?,over inflated prices then using problems in the middle east to justify it....
Old 27 April 2011, 10:22 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
A few years ago when that Farmer led the line against fuel getting to £1 a litre had the Government by the ***** ..... he, and his 'team' could have demanded a lot more than they got - all they got was empty promises. I'm sure the frightners were put on them (or he was paid off).

Now we sit on our hands with prices 40% higher .... clearly there is no stomach for a fight and therefore we must just smile and get on with it.

Nope, it's as Edd says below your post, the Lying Labour government made it some sort of terrorist offence to protest outside, or blockade, refineries.

So much for socialism and freedom in Bliar's Britain.
Old 27 April 2011, 10:23 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The £1.50 litre of diesel is probably only weeks away and the IMF agree that rising crude oil prices are a serious threat to UK growth. £2.00 a litre for diesel could become a awful reality.
Wrote the very same on here a while ago.

The government do not give a crap, they are too busy crusading in the Middle East to even think about any problems at home not that they are affected by them so why would they?

The economy cannot and will not recover if these massive increases in essentials continue. Petrol, insurance, utilities, food.... they are all spiralling ever upwards and I am just amazed how they can massage the inflation figure to a lowly 4% when it is obviously way higher than that!

Quick Reply: Petrol: ARE we being ripped off?