Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone buy pet medicine online?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2011, 10:21 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone buy pet medicine online?

Having just been shafted for a repeat prescription at our vet - £25 for 40 day's supply of Pfizer Istin which is basically ten 5mg tabs cut into quarters - I'm wondering if anyone orders prescriptions online? Our much beloved one eyed 16 year old otherwise perfectly fit and healthy tabby apparently needs this high blood pressure treatment as she has been having problems with her remaining good eye. It seems from the links I've found that Istin is used to treat human high blood pressure too and there are loads of cheaper online "chemists". Much as I love my cat, if I can cut the £225 per year to keep her going I'm going to do it. The local vets has just been taken over by a larger group and prices clearly are going up, ain't capitalism wonderful? Also, next door's Lurcher is quite keen on eating her, so the longer she can hang on to her eyesight the better!

Old 14 April 2011, 10:35 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

she looks just like our old cat, as for the prescriptions its not cheap and if you can find a place online that dose not require a prescription (vets normally charge for this as well) you should be ok.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:54 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Vets are obliged to give you a signed script, was a fiver when i last did it so ask for 2-3 months then check out the many online sources of medication. Should save a few quid that way.
Old 15 April 2011, 09:28 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Can't help on sourcing the drugs elsewhere but our local vet's are a franchise of 'Well Pets'.
Our cat had to go there a couple of months back as his urinery tract was blocked with crystals. Luckily we were insured - £575......plus vat! He was only there for one bloody night.
Yes, he came home fit and healthy, but one can't help but feel violated after being charged an amount like that.

But like your moggy, he is such a great cat, I wouldn't want to be without the little critter!

Old 15 April 2011, 10:23 AM
AER-SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

I use http://www.vetuk.co.uk for my dog's joint supplements. They save me £12- £15 over the price my vet charges.
Old 15 April 2011, 10:34 AM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Also use VetUK for our cat's Fleeing and Worming stuff ... very competitive prices and speedy delivery
Old 15 April 2011, 10:37 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

She's not insured now as it gets so much more expensive the older they get. They do have you over a barrel as they know how much people love their animals and will do and pay whatever is required. Veterinary care is good at this practice but it is a shame it has gone the way of most vets being absorbed by a bigger profit driven group thriving on insurance payouts. It seems like Istin may be a bit more restricted on some of the main sites, maybe because it is also prescribed for humans. I'll certainly enquire about getting a signed prescription only from the vet and associated costs though.

Trending Topics

Old 16 April 2011, 03:08 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

AS long as you can get exactly the same stuff cheaper I ewould not blame you for doing it. Too many rip offs these days I am afraid.

Lovely looking puss too.

Les
Old 16 April 2011, 08:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vets are in the same rip-off boat as dentists!!

We get our medicine online - MetaCam .... £23 online - £75 from our vet!!! Yes, that's right - Bloody greedy b4stards!!!!

THEN they charge £17 for a script - a repeat script!!! Bloody rip off there too!!

It's about time they STOPPED ripping the public off, just because they know owners love their pets!!!