Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I could almost vote for this guy.

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2011, 07:18 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I could almost vote for this guy.

Cameron that is

He will say that the "real issue" is "migrants are filling gaps in the labour market left wide open by a welfare system that for years has paid British people not to work".
"Put simply, we will never control immigration properly unless we tackle welfare dependency,"

From todays Torygraph.
Old 14 April 2011, 07:23 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The key word there is 'say'.

Like all politicians he says a lot, but he doesn't do too much.

My comment to him would be 'well actually do something about it then and then maybe we wil start to respect your words rather than rolling our eyes at yet another electorate friendly soundbite'. Don't hold your breath though!
Old 14 April 2011, 07:32 AM
yorvik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

My comment to him would be 'well actually do something about it then and then maybe we wil start to respect your words rather than rolling our eyes at yet another electorate friendly soundbite'. Don't hold your breath though!
+1
Old 14 April 2011, 08:00 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

This is so true. I'm be more optimistic but politicians have let us down on almost everything they say.
Old 14 April 2011, 08:07 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

and that why, in gerneral, one has to get of ones backisde and make the best of it and aspire to improve your lot in life.

no politician will do that for - I am afraid
Old 14 April 2011, 08:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

+2
Old 14 April 2011, 08:44 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I would say that it is a starting point.
We shall have to see what happens next.
I have generally suspected a connection between the welfare state and immigration.
However, there are a lot of votes in paying people not to work, so perhaps your cynical attitude is correct.
Perhaps people believe the welfare state is the price we must pay for "democracy"?
All grist to the mill of tax avoiders out there I guess

Trending Topics

Old 14 April 2011, 09:58 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

the problem is that those sucking the system dry and breeding like rabbits get the same vote as you or I. This means the politicians are almost signing their own resignation letter if they make radical changes.

No job, no vote. simple.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:20 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
the problem is that those sucking the system dry and breeding like rabbits get the same vote as you or I. This means the politicians are almost signing their own resignation letter if they make radical changes.
This argument is frankly tosh. The number of people on any sort of benefit is a fairly small percentage of the elecorate and the number of people in work paying tax vastly outweighs that number.

The truth is it is just too hard to have some spine and actually do something about it as all the PC do gooders will kick off about how spiteful and unjust it all is etc. etc. Politicians like an easy life, the days of them having the courage of their convictions are long gone.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The number of people on any sort of benefit is a fairly small percentage of the elecorate and the number of people in work paying tax vastly outweighs that number.
I beg to differ; A majority of people somewhere somehow is on a benefit of some sort. And more often than not that benefit is used to substutute their income (no matter how bad or good) to support a lifestyle 'they' want.

We've already seen the stink caused by 'cuts' on certain 'uneeded benefits' like the EMA grant...and it wasn't even scrapped (unlike what the media reports), it was simply reformed and rebranded as a education bursary. And that was just a bunch of studenty anarchist wannabes.

Can you imagine what all the prehistoric workshy knuckle draggers would do if they had their benefit scrapped? Think of a EDL protest multiplied by hundred fold? The poll tax riots would be nothing comapred to this. (The irony is Poll tax was alot fairer than its current council tax replacement, still it appeased the knuckle draggers )

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 April 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:43 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the usual lose lose situation

You have Cameron who has the sense to identify the problem, admit it exists and talk openly about it and "say" what should/could/might be done about it.

Or

We live under the last regime who would deny it ever existed and throw some more money at it not giving a **** where it was coming from and to continue on their merry way grinning like chimps.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:48 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

While walking the streets trying to get census forms in, I've had time to discuss this with the lass I've been with, and since we were in an area highly dependant of benefits, it came up.

We came to the conclusion that stopping it would be VERY difficult, since the system has now allowed some people to have a family as a means of their own support, and cutting THEIR benefits in any way will harm the kids too......kids who didn't ask to be part of it.

Even hardliners are against cuts that will harm innocent kids..........aren't they?
Old 14 April 2011, 10:52 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

It really annoys me that people have kids just to have benefits -.-

Those poor kids.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:58 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Thats exactly the problem; we have kids being used as cash cows by their parents. Hell, we even have kids who have kids to get benefits.

Short of building workhouses how do you cut that benefit without increasing child poverty/neglect?

Its easy to recognise the problem....But fixing it without causing further social deterioration of the future generations spanwed from the benefit sub-culture? Nigh on impossible.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:59 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I beg to differ; A majority of people somewhere somehow is on a benefit of some sort. And more often than not that benefit is used to substutute their income (no matter how bad or good) to support a lifestyle 'they' want.
Well you're wrong.

The Office for National Statistics says 13% of the population is on some sort of benefit.

They then go on to say 42% of the population is in work.

I will let you do the maths
Old 14 April 2011, 11:00 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
While walking the streets trying to get census forms in, I've had time to discuss this with the lass I've been with, and since we were in an area highly dependant of benefits, it came up.

We came to the conclusion that stopping it would be VERY difficult, since the system has now allowed some people to have a family as a means of their own support, and cutting THEIR benefits in any way will harm the kids too......kids who didn't ask to be part of it.

Even hardliners are against cuts that will harm innocent kids..........aren't they?
Nope. Life is hard, deal with it!!!
Old 14 April 2011, 11:19 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well you're wrong.

The Office for National Statistics says 13% of the population is on some sort of benefit.

They then go on to say 42% of the population is in work.

I will let you do the maths
Would rather have the link to the relevent ONS page just to check what they define as a 'benefit' within those statistics.

(i.e reduced income tax codes, tax relief, mortgage relief, motorbility, blue badges, tax credits, SSP, WP, CWP, maternity allowance, blah bah etc)

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 April 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 14 April 2011, 11:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Would rather have the link to the relevent ONS page just to check what they define as a 'benefit' within those statistics.

(i.e reduced income tax codes, tax relief, mortgage relief, motorbility, blue badges, tax credits, SSP, WP, CWP, maternity allowance, blah bah etc)
They have a website! Go and have a look.
Old 14 April 2011, 01:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Seeing you took the time and trouble to dig out the statistics, I assumed you'd have the relevent page in your browser history. Seeing you can't provide the link, I'm tempted to call BS on the figures you quote
Old 14 April 2011, 01:07 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Seeing you took the time and trouble to dig out the statistics, I assumed you'd have the relevent page in your browser history. Seeing you can't provide the link, I'm tempted to call BS on the figures you quote
Popcorn anyone???
Old 14 April 2011, 01:10 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

+3

Put I heard that already some MP's are describing DC words as "Deplorable".

Some MP's are more concerned with the voice of the minority, rather than that of the majority. Although in another 20 years when the White man is the minority, they might start listening to us. But by then it'll be too late.

Just wait for all the Muslim groups to start shouting "Racist".
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Popcorn anyone???

I'd rather have nachos and cheese, but seeing as you are offering.....
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Pics or it never happened. LMAO
Old 14 April 2011, 01:25 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I'd rather have nachos and cheese, but seeing as you are offering.....
Sorry but the nachos and Cheese are over on this topic

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...from-work.html
Old 14 April 2011, 01:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It all sounds impressive but as F1 man says, he is a bit like Billy liar in that he loves to come out with the big government initiative designed to court good publicity, and we shall have to see whether similarly to Billy Boy and NL whether it will all be conveniently forgotten and nothing significant will actually get done.

Les
Old 14 April 2011, 01:48 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Thats exactly the problem; we have kids being used as cash cows by their parents. Hell, we even have kids who have kids to get benefits.

Short of building workhouses how do you cut that benefit without increasing child poverty/neglect?

Its easy to recognise the problem....But fixing it without causing further social deterioration of the future generations spanwed from the benefit sub-culture? Nigh on impossible.
I've heard an argument that welfare is not for the poor but for the rich!

Think of the instability and social chaos that would result if suddenly we removed the bread from the plates of hundreds of thousands of poor?

You'd have riots and unrest and the whole system would probably collapse which supports the rich.
Old 14 April 2011, 01:53 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Cameron that is

He will say that the "real issue" is "migrants are filling gaps in the labour market left wide open by a welfare system that for years has paid British people not to work".
"Put simply, we will never control immigration properly unless we tackle welfare dependency,"

From todays Torygraph.
I don't buy that completely. Does Cameron have any evidence to suggest that companies could not fill menial jobs in the late 90's when Labour kicked off the last round of mass immigration?

I've no doubt that this immigration has driven down costs to some extend though....it's all driven by economics to grow the system, not for the benefit of you or me but the rich elites who sit at the top of the pyramid and for government tax revenues....Capitalism seems to need to grow.

What has happened the last decade has been a massive social upheaval unparallelled since the Norman invasion/migration. It's been too much too fast IMHO and now it's too late to do anything so Cameron is just shouting in the wind.

All along it's been impossible to criticize the immigration lest you me accused of racism. Even now you have Critics saying Cameron is inciting extremism, it's just crazy.
Old 14 April 2011, 02:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you want to get on, you cannot say it like it really is anymore TDW.

Les
Old 14 April 2011, 02:52 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Cheap imported labour/immigrants in low paid jobs are all well & good for boosting company profits by cutting costs....
BUT!!!! if you read stats by people like Immigration Watch they are a net drain on the economy.
We need to get the people already here working.
Old 14 April 2011, 03:04 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
Cheap imported labour/immigrants in low paid jobs are all well & good for boosting company profits by cutting costs....
BUT!!!! if you read stats by people like Immigration Watch they are a net drain on the economy.
We need to get the people already here working.
The problem is the people already here do not want to work for poor wages,they just complain and blame everyone else for there misfortune.
A relation of mine has worked for the same engineering company for over 20 years.The company has decided to move production to China due to increasing costs......SO WHO IS TO BLAME?......

Quick Reply: I could almost vote for this guy.