Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2011, 06:55 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default French to enforce Burka ban from Monday

Are we allowed to talk about this?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...an-protesters/

I was watching Sky just a while ago and it had two people voicing either side of the argument. I was quite surprised at the unfriendliness of the debate...it was like the Burka advocate woman did not want a debate.

On the face of it it seems clear cut - freedom to wear what you like should not be infringed by the state.

But I find it fascinating how the advocates of the Burka seemed to have learned the language of human rights, freedom etc, whilst wanting to wear a symbol of female subjugation....an object of oppression!

I've heard a lot of reason why the Burka should not be banned, but what about the virtue of wearing it? I've not heard much of an argument there.
Old 10 April 2011, 07:18 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

From experience i find i am discriminated against if i go into my bank/filling station, etc wearing a Motrax i-neck which is a tube of material that converts into a balaclava, bandana, neck tube amongst other things, which i do when i use my quad to go into town. I wear it a lot because i can adjust it to suit the weather.

I am told i cannot wear it because it obscures my face for identification and security reasons.

I fail to see how a Bhurka is any different, it obscures the persons facial features in the same way, neither are compulsory just a choice to be made by the individual so why are bhurka's permitted if i cannot wear what i choose.

Double standards and that's what really gets me.

Last edited by The Zohan; 10 April 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10 April 2011, 07:24 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Tony in Muslim thread shocker. In other breaking news, the Pope is catholic and bears **** in the woods...
Old 10 April 2011, 07:38 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Good god... bears actually **** in woods!?!? what all woods or just their own?...
Old 10 April 2011, 08:35 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Tony in Muslim thread shocker. In other breaking news, the Pope is catholic and bears **** in the woods...
Nice of the pope to clear up after them... Must be a vocational/voluntary thing he does at weekends.
Old 10 April 2011, 08:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont really get the Burka thing, I dont remember seeing many/any until the last few years, there were Muslims around when I was a kid and I can ever remember seeing any ladies dressed like that, is it perhaps some kind of attitude change due to the increased criticism and prejudice towards Islam or that I didnt notice ?

Was in Brighton yesterday and there were quite a few Muslim families out and a few were in the full get up, it does look bloody awful and cannot be at all comfortable when in the sun like that, but if they want to wear it then so be it, cant see the point of objecting except in situations where the face needs to be seen like airports then I am sorry but based on recent events, security is more important than religious observance.
Old 10 April 2011, 09:09 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I dont really get the Burka thing, I dont remember seeing many/any until the last few years, there were Muslims around when I was a kid and I can ever remember seeing any ladies dressed like that, is it perhaps some kind of attitude change due to the increased criticism and prejudice towards Islam or that I didnt notice ?

Was in Brighton yesterday and there were quite a few Muslim families out and a few were in the full get up, it does look bloody awful and cannot be at all comfortable when in the sun like that, but if they want to wear it then so be it, cant see the point of objecting except in situations where the face needs to be seen like airports then I am sorry but based on recent events, security is more important than religious observance.
Same with the Hijab also. I don't remember seeing any women wearing garb to 'advertise' themselves as Muslim back in the 90's.

You may as what is the reason?

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 10 April 2011 at 09:10 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 10 April 2011, 09:29 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I am not really a fan of these type of threads, sorry TDW, but I have to admit, I do find the Burka an offensive garment. I don't like it at all. I think it's creepy.
I've said before, it's like a load of grim reapers following you.
As Paul has also said, there is a right carry on if a motor biker walks into the bank with his helmet on, yet these wimmins walk in and not a word is said. Why?
I think it is truly a ghastly get up
Old 10 April 2011, 10:33 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Good god... bears actually **** in woods!?!? what all woods or just their own?...
..and what about polar bears?
Old 10 April 2011, 10:38 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Zohan
From experience i find i am discriminated against if i go into my bank/filling station, etc wearing a Motrax i-neck which is a tube of material that converts into a balaclava, bandana, neck tube amongst other things, which i do when i use my quad to go into town. I wear it a lot because i can adjust it to suit the weather.

I am told i cannot wear it because it obscures my face for identification and security reasons.

I fail to see how a Bhurka is any different, it obscures the persons facial features in the same way, neither are compulsory just a choice to be made by the individual so why are bhurka's permitted if i cannot wear what i choose.
Double standards and that's what really gets me.
Your "mortax wear" should stay in the basement where it belongs

Old 10 April 2011, 10:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How the heck are they going to enforce this , is it just in public buildings ?
Old 10 April 2011, 10:47 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
How the heck are they going to enforce this , is it just in public buildings ?
Any seen out in public will be shot dead, stops them doing it again!
Old 10 April 2011, 11:07 PM
Will
BANNED

All burkas should be banned!!! They look like ***** wearing them!!!

Last edited by Will; 11 April 2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10 April 2011, 11:10 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
It's alienating. Would you want to live a street full of people wearing 'em, or have your kid taught by a Teacher wearing one?

I wouldn't, although I kind of agree with the libertarian idea that they should be able to; how do you square that dissonance is the question though.

I'm guessing most middle class liberals would secretly agree with me 'cos you don't see many of 'em living in Bradford!
Old 10 April 2011, 11:27 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

I seen someone on a driveing lesson wearing one yesterday
just dident seem right
Old 10 April 2011, 11:53 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
and bears **** in the woods...
Polar bears have a fair trek then!!

I personally don`t agree with anyone overly religious, Christian Muslim or what ever, but dressing according to a book written about ***** shouldn`t be allowed.

Last edited by Jimbob; 10 April 2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11 April 2011, 06:54 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

Its just an extention of the ever more tightening infringments on our collective human rights....Remember them ? ... our ancestors fought for them , ask Adolph
Old 11 April 2011, 09:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin
Any seen out in public will be shot dead, stops them doing it again!
quick an simple , i cant help feeling someones going to complain though
Old 11 April 2011, 10:14 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should be banned.

You try going into your bank to withdraw some funds from your account wearing a full face crash helmet with tinted visor.
Old 11 April 2011, 10:50 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Okay, let's go through this in stages

Why is the burka used?
What religious significance does it have?
Is it required by the religion?

Does it alienate people?
Does it pose a security issue? (i.e. identification)
Does it intimidate people?

I'm reminded of a member of BA staff who was not allowed to wear a visible crucifix to work and went through years of appeals.

My personal opinion is that I don't like them. I'm not opposed to them, but I don't like them. They (IMO) turn people into objects, the lack of feature recognition makes me uncomfortable and I think it places an unnecessary barrier between the wearer and the public.

Blanket (ahem) ban? Not sure if this is the right approach. Required to show your face when asked to by an authorised individual? A better solution

(authorised would be Police / person required to confirm identity like a Bank teller)

Oh, and the right to refuse to serve someone if they refuse to comply with a polite request.
Old 11 April 2011, 11:01 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
My personal opinion is that I don't like them. I'm not opposed to them, but I don't like them. They (IMO) turn people into objects, the lack of feature recognition makes me uncomfortable and I think it places an unnecessary barrier between the wearer and the public.
Well the whole point in the desert societies originally was to turn women into non-people who had no role in society which was male-dominated (patriarchal). This gives the men control over the reproductive process by repressing women as sexual beings as well as control over everything else such a politics, economics etc. The only role women had was within the family - under the males roof if you like, at his discretion.

Somehow this oppression has been internalised by some modern muslim women who think the Burka is a virtue (religiously) to wear!! Even as a symbol of empowerment and 'choice'! The irony!
Old 11 April 2011, 11:06 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Are we allowed to talk about this?

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/0...an-protesters/

I was watching Sky just a while ago and it had two people voicing either side of the argument. I was quite surprised at the unfriendliness of the debate...it was like the Burka advocate woman did not want a debate.

On the face of it it seems clear cut - freedom to wear what you like should not be infringed by the state.

But I find it fascinating how the advocates of the Burka seemed to have learned the language of human rights, freedom etc, whilst wanting to wear a symbol of female subjugation....an object of oppression!

I've heard a lot of reason why the Burka should not be banned, but what about the virtue of wearing it? I've not heard much of an argument there.
Did it occur to you that the women advocate might actually prefer to wear the burka as I understand many Muslim women do and therefore does not want it to be banned.

Les
Old 11 April 2011, 12:15 PM
Norman D. Landings
Scooby Regular

How does it work in an office environment? I have never seen a bhurka in the offices I've worked in but somebody on here must have been to office based sit down meetings with somebody wearing one? I nearly said 'face to face' but obviously that would be impossible.

I wonder how company politics/HR would deal with meeting attendees who insisted on facing the opposite direction to anybody wearing a bhurka on the basis that 'I can't see their face so I'm levelling the field'?
Old 11 April 2011, 12:21 PM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have absolutely no issue with the wearing of this garment , providing it is not worn in any western country.
Old 11 April 2011, 01:15 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

And the first prosecution? Although it's not clear from that if she was or was not wearing a veil

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13031397

My personal view is that's something I don't like. I have no problem with the scarves (hijab?) which show the face, but a veil creates a barrier that in turn creates a divided society.

I particularly like...

"Anyone caught breaking the law will be liable to a fine of 150 euros (£133, $217) and a citizenship course"
Old 11 April 2011, 01:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman D. Landings
How does it work in an office environment? I have never seen a bhurka in the offices I've worked in but somebody on here must have been to office based sit down meetings with somebody wearing one? I nearly said 'face to face' but obviously that would be impossible.

I wonder how company politics/HR would deal with meeting attendees who insisted on facing the opposite direction to anybody wearing a bhurka on the basis that 'I can't see their face so I'm levelling the field'?
I think you will find that most women who wear one are going to be at home looking after children and in a lot of cases not educated beyond a basic education or in employment.
Old 11 April 2011, 01:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

So much for an individual's rights.

Does a woman wearing a burkha really bother you all that much? It really should be up to them and the only caveat is they should be prepared to remove it for identity purposes.

Aside from that live and let live.
Old 11 April 2011, 01:53 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think the underlying point here is how do you know its a woman . could easily be a man of womanly statue , as per the case at a airport where the man wanted for questioning about a murder managed to dissapere back to pakistan . good on the french at long last they have done something which required ***** lets hope cameron follows
Old 11 April 2011, 02:08 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
So much for an individual's rights.

Does a woman wearing a burkha really bother you all that much? It really should be up to them and the only caveat is they should be prepared to remove it for identity purposes.

Aside from that live and let live.
Is this about rights or Islam?

How come the same people now espousing rights and freedom were vilifying say the Danish Cartoons not so long ago??

Quick Reply: French to enforce Burka ban from Monday