Teachers Walk Out Over School 'Violence'

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2011, 10:32 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teachers Walk Out Over School 'Violence'

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110407/...n-45dbed5.html

A picket line formed outside Darwen Vale High School during a 24-hour shutdown this morning.

Teaching unions said members felt the school was "out of control" and management had failed to back them in attempts to deal with discipline.

Unions have received several complaints from members including pushing, shoving and swearing at teachers and some pupils filming staff on mobile phones and clips being posted on Facebook.

I am not surprised they walked out, abut time teachers where put back in charge of the classrooms and where backed by their bosses!
Old 07 April 2011, 10:41 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Amen to that.

My wife's in her first NQT year and i'm amazed at the amount of crap they have to put up with.
Old 07 April 2011, 10:54 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Parents should be made to sign a form allowing teachers to use force where they see fit.

I wouldn't have dreamt about shoving a teacher back in my day because I know what would happen to me was twice as bad - and then I’d get the same when I get home.
Old 07 April 2011, 11:45 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

kids murduring toddlers, 10 year olds robbing disabled people, 8 year old girl glassing her friend in the face. what way are the parents of these kids bringing them up to think this is acceptable behaviour.

i know what would have happened to me if i done those things in school. buckle end of a belt when i got home.
Old 07 April 2011, 11:51 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Britain is not broke though
Old 07 April 2011, 11:57 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

The sooner we start controlling the kids of the nation the sooner the county can improve. These kids will be running the country eventually.

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2011, 11:57 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

theres a different between a smack and a beating, people need to get some common sence about the difference. rather than saying a smack is assault, start teaching good morals at a young age and things like this will reduce
Old 07 April 2011, 12:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing isn't it?

Teachers will be working a grand total of 8 ............... YES EIGHT!! Days through April !!!

Why do they not protest on one of their ample days off??

I hope they lose a days pay for this.

However, I agree that this particular school seems to have weaker than dishwater management. Sack the Senior Management Team and the Governors ... install a regime change and let's get going!

But, come on, Teachers ..... 8 days through April and you decideto take ANOTHER off!! It's insulting to the parents who are working INCREASED hours to make ends meet.
Old 07 April 2011, 12:56 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Amazing isn't it?

Teachers will be working a grand total of 8 ............... YES EIGHT!! Days through April !!!

However, I agree that this particular school seems to have weaker than dishwater management. Sack the Senior Management Team and the Governors ... install a regime change and let's get going!

But, come on, Teachers ..... 8 days through April and you decideto take ANOTHER off!! It's insulting to the parents who are working INCREASED hours to make ends meet.
That's the whole point, who's going to care about a bunch of people protesting in their time off. Dont be a muppet.
Old 07 April 2011, 01:03 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Amazing isn't it?

Hello.... That's the whole point, nobody will even notice them protest at the school outside of term time. The parents have all gone to Benidorm.
Old 07 April 2011, 01:20 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There is also a point where it is not the role of the school to teach respect and discipline, that is the role of the parent(s) and perhaps it stems from how the parents were brought up themselves when they were kids and because how society has changed. The reality of today is that we live in a politically correct and litigious society where a lot of people do their utmost to shift responsibility and accountability from themselves. The flipside is that people are also unable to take action because of this mentality.

I have witnessed many times where some kid does something to upset another and is left to carry on without the parent stepping in to correct that child. Only the last weekend my little 4 year old was dragged off a ride-on by another kid in the park, the parent stood by and did nothing! I wanted give that kid a stern talking too but I fear that parent would call the police and I'd be arrested for assault. Instead I spoke deliberately loud to my little girl saying that child was not very nice for doing that with the aim that the child and the parent would hear, only I get an ear bashing from that parent telling me I can't talk about his child like that! WTF!!! If this sort of behaviour is not nipped in the bud, is it any wonder why children grow up with little respect for elders and those in authority. Teachers would then not have to worry about "harming" a belligerent child and its has gotten to the point where teachers should have the power to use "reasonable" methods to enforce discipline and garner respect for those in authority without fear of reprisal.

Last edited by jonc; 07 April 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07 April 2011, 01:23 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jonc
There is also a point where it is not the role of the school to teach respect and discipline, that is the role of the parent(s) and perhaps it stems from how the parents were brought up themselves when they were kids and because how society has changed. The reality of today is that we live in a politically correct and litigious society where a lot of people do their utmost to shift responsibility and accountability from themselves. The flipside is that people are also unable to take action because of this mentality.

I have witnessed many times where some kid does something to upset another and is left to carry on without the parent stepping in to correct that child. Only the last weekend my little 4 year old was dragged off a ride-on by another kid in the park, the parent stood by and did nothing! I wanted give that kid a stern talking too but I fear that parent would call the police and I'd be arrested for assault. Instead I spoke deliberately loud to my little girl saying that child was not very nice for doing that with the aim that the child and the parent would hear, only I get an ear bashing from that parent telling me I can't talk about his child like that! WTF!!! If this sort of behaviour is not nipped in the bud, is it any wonder why children grow up with little respect for elders and those in authority. Teachers would then not have to worry about "harming" a belligerent child and its has gotten to the point where teachers should have the power to use "reasonable" methods to enforce discipline and garner respect for those in authority without fear of reprisal.
+1
Old 07 April 2011, 01:36 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Agree with Jonc albeit I still think that "serious" bad behaviour remains in the minority. Some parents seem to have forgotten / not been taught that for every action there should be a reaction ... I've also seens kids misbehaving, turn to their parents only to see no reaction at all! My boy knows the difference between bad & good & mostly stays on the right side of it. I've never had to resort to physical means to get my point across as removal of pocket money / priveleges has always done the trick for us. Catch them at a young age & it won't be a problem when they're too big to control

TX.

Edit - needs to be consequences for their actions.

Last edited by Terminator X; 07 April 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07 April 2011, 01:48 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I couldn't agree more, there is an increasing amount of parents who see school as nothing more than 6 hours of childcare.
They do not care what they are doing while at school, and when at home it's x boxes, nintendo DS or similar things that keep them quiet.
Gone are the days where parents and children sit, talk or play games together.

Now, I have nothing against modern technology and gadgets, in all honesty if you deny your child access to a computer or some new fangled must have games console, they will no doubt be behind in the techno front, but there needs to be a happy medium.

With regards to being polite and respectful, it's down to the parents, if they don't teach them how to behave then a teacher isn't going to have much luck.
It needs to be taught from a young age, and if the parents don't bother it's just made to feel like wasted effort.
Teachers are there to provide an education, not bring them up and teach them basic skills such as politeness.

That is why schools are suffering, and teachers cannot do their jobs properly. Children are not even equipt with the basics to function 'normally' in social situations.

Reinforced by the 'look after you and your own' attitude where people just don't care anymore.
Old 07 April 2011, 02:05 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

I'm actually impressed with the majority of mature responses on here; the first thing you usually read when the word 'Teacher' is mentioned tends to be "They only work part-time and get loads of holiday"
Old 07 April 2011, 02:15 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

And they think dogs are bad, out of control. Give me a dog any day of the week, i ******* hate kids, they are scum. IMO
Old 07 April 2011, 02:42 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EH52WRX
And they think dogs are bad, out of control. Give me a dog any day of the week, i ******* hate kids, they are scum. IMO
Yeah, ALL kids are scum....
Old 07 April 2011, 02:54 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Great! and stay out of the gene pool! Teachers have enough problems as it is!
Old 07 April 2011, 03:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Great! and stay out of the gene pool! Teachers have enough problems as it is!
+1
Old 07 April 2011, 04:01 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Sack the Senior Management Team and the Governors ... install a regime change and let's get going!
Since when did schools have management teams? What happened to the good old headmaster and deputy head who everyone was **** scared of?
Old 07 April 2011, 04:33 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Since when did schools have management teams? What happened to the good old headmaster and deputy head who everyone was **** scared of?
They disappeared when we introduced the nanny state
Old 07 April 2011, 04:54 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
They disappeared when we introduced the nanny state
and that was about the time this country started to go seriously down hill...coincidence - i think not!
Old 07 April 2011, 08:55 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
It happened when Schools started trying to match Business .... which, of course, they cannot.

I really do hope they lose a days pay .... I suspect that they will not - the Governors should also discipline every one of them - though the Governors and Senior Management Team seem incapable and need to be sacked forthwith.
Old 07 April 2011, 09:19 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Old 07 April 2011, 09:34 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyTim
I'm actually impressed with the majority of mature responses on here; the first thing you usually read when the word 'Teacher' is mentioned tends to be "They only work part-time and get loads of holiday"
Bloody teachers, they only work part-time and get loads of holiday.

Old 07 April 2011, 10:00 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You forget the £35,000 a year PLUS £12,500 TLR Payment for looking after the NoticeBoard or BikeShed!!

That's £47,500 .... 26 hours a week directed work ..... 65 Days Holiday + Bank Holidays.

Cracking remuneration ...
Old 07 April 2011, 10:16 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TinyTim
Post 9 shatters those illusions...........PS Lewis' response does not add to the "mature" responses, unfortunately.
Pressures from a society which , in certain fragments, does not accept discipline or boundaries, makes the task of educating those individuals, taxing to say the least.
I have the utmost respect for those willing to take on the challenge.
I'm sure those who mock the teacher are qualified to do so..
Old 07 April 2011, 11:49 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Basic respect for others "should" be taught by the parents but if not then teachers "should" have the right to demand respect regardless and, if not given, then suitable punishment carried out.Whatever that may be but at the moment it seems like all they can do is 'don't do that, please' ......

Dave
I think it has to possibly go hand in hand. It's no good allowing said 'punishment' to take place only for a parent to turn up all guns blazing, showing exactly the same disrespect as the child did in the first place. That would just further reinforce the notion that being disrespectful, abusive etc. was ok to that child, because Mam or Dad has just acted that way.

It seems like a problem with little solution. But no action can't continue. I think many adults need some lessons in respect along with all these kids too, only how do we do that?

When I was at school there was no physical punishment allowed by then. Despite that not being a risk, I never caused any trouble for a single teacher, I just got on with what I was there to do. I can only put that down to being taught to be respectful by my parents. Don;t get me wrong, I wasn't a goody two shoes, I got a good smack at home if I was naughty (when I was little). Perhaps that is in part why I didn't act up outside of the home as I knew it 'wouldn't go down well'.

Whatever it was that my parents did to teach me to respect others (as many other kids at that time were right little ****s), I thank them for it. Respect and manners are often not returned, especially in my working life, but at least I know I am acting in a decent way towards people. I am unfortunately getting closer to teaching people a lesson in respect, but I fear I'd get the sack for that.

Last edited by Lisawrx; 07 April 2011 at 11:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Teachers Walk Out Over School 'Violence'