Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sky vs virgin...no contest!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2011, 05:50 PM
badboyz666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sky vs virgin...no contest!!!!

hi..just swapped from SKY TV to virgin....and what a mistake!!!
virgin came out (while i was out) and left a wire running through the front room he didnt even bother to tack it to a wall..then left sawdust all over the place from drilling,tosser!!
anyway thats not my gripe! supposed to have 10meg unlimited downloads but as soon as you download a tiny file youre capped to 2 meg for most of the day??????? (dont get that with sky).The tv package is the medium 1 and dont i konw it!! basically fecking freeview with sky 1!!(utter w4nk) and the virgin+ box looks like a 70's alarm clock its hidious (skys is stylish)
anybody done the same stupid thing???? anyone on here work for virgin that wants to defend the company coz i think youre sh1te!!!!!! oh and when you click onto "on demand" it takes about 10 mins for it to actually do something aaarrrrgggggg!! w4nk w4nk w4nk and fooking W4NK

phew sorry guys rant over feel better now
Old 05 April 2011, 06:03 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I love Virgin, although if I had the poverty package I would be a bit miffed too!

They do cap the broadband unless you have to top dog package, but to be honest I find I have enough with my 20meg DL and I do a lot of downloading compared to your average Joe downloading music.
Old 05 April 2011, 06:07 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great rant!

Sky really aren't that better, 2 weeks for a phoneline to be installed followed by 2 weeks for internet to be installed is a joke. I'm currently using my blackberry for surfing the web and I can't even get 3G in my new area!
Old 05 April 2011, 06:08 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by badboyz666
hi..just swapped from SKY TV to virgin....and what a mistake!!!
virgin came out (while i was out) and left a wire running through the front room he didnt even bother to tack it to a wall..then left sawdust all over the place from drilling,tosser!!
anyway thats not my gripe! supposed to have 10meg unlimited downloads but as soon as you download a tiny file youre capped to 2 meg for most of the day??????? (dont get that with sky).The tv package is the medium 1 and dont i konw it!! basically fecking freeview with sky 1!!(utter w4nk) and the virgin+ box looks like a 70's alarm clock its hidious (skys is stylish)
anybody done the same stupid thing???? anyone on here work for virgin that wants to defend the company coz i think youre sh1te!!!!!! oh and when you click onto "on demand" it takes about 10 mins for it to actually do something aaarrrrgggggg!! w4nk w4nk w4nk and fooking W4NK

phew sorry guys rant over feel better now
I have Virgin and don't recognise any of what you posted, either with my install or my ongoing service.

Maybe it's just you.
Old 05 April 2011, 06:13 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
I have Virgin and don't recognise any of what you posted, either with my install or my ongoing service.

Maybe it's just you.
I can't sing their praises enough, most of our family and friends have switched from sky over the years, and most of them did that within a few weeks of seeing what the V+ box had to offer, which blows the Sky+ options out of the window (well personally I feel that way).

I am currently awaiting the new Tivo box as I had confirmation that we will be getting one when they are released. I can't wait!
Old 05 April 2011, 06:29 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
I love Virgin, although if I had the poverty package I would be a bit miffed too!

They do cap the broadband unless you have to top dog package, but to be honest I find I have enough with my 20meg DL and I do a lot of downloading compared to your average Joe downloading music.
Poverty package,is that what its called..
Old 05 April 2011, 06:33 PM
simon1688
Scooby Newbie

I have been with both and Virgin seem to be cheaper both the customer services seem to be the same standard
Old 05 April 2011, 06:34 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Is the medium the most basic they do?

I have v + box and have never had any of those problems, I'm on xl with phone broadband and line rental and its about 45 a month

And I presume you have the millions of hours of on demand music and tv programs etc?

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 05 April 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05 April 2011, 06:38 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Poverty package,is that what its called..
Yes, that's what it says in the info package
Old 05 April 2011, 06:39 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan

Maybe it's just you.
ageed. my 50 MBit connection has been faultless. And to rub salt into the wounds, no download cap at all
Old 05 April 2011, 06:40 PM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Did the same a while ago.. To sum it up:
Broadband - Utter crap.. supposed to be 20MB and i get about 2MB at the most (apparently there are too many users in my local area!!)
V+ - Slow, sometimes completely unresposive and crashes a lot. Really annoying if your out and recording something!!
Telephone line - Gone down 3 times in the last year! Takes an age to speak to anyone with half a brain and even then they fob you off!

I was told once to always go through to the department that handles leaving as they are the only ones based in the UK.

Sky wins hands down for me!
Old 05 April 2011, 06:41 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Is the medium the most basic they do?

I have v + box and have never had any of those problems, I'm on xl with phone broadband and line rental and its about 45 a month

And I presume you have the millions of hours of on demand music and tv programs etc?
Medium is Virgins poverty package.

I have Virgin XL tv so get HD Channels in the deal too, personally I love Virgin, no issues at all with my Virgin box, couldn't care less what it looks like and my internet connection is fantastic for my online gaming.
Old 05 April 2011, 06:45 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear you're having trouble; we've got the XL Tivo package with 30Mb broadband, and apart from a few Tivo bugs (it's still in the pre-release, limited roll-out phase) it's been faultless.
Old 05 April 2011, 06:49 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I first had sky digital installed the engineer ran the coax cable through the window instead of the wall.
Old 05 April 2011, 07:08 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Chatted to a door-to-door Virgin Media salesman last week. He says he just lies about prices and download speeds/limits. Once the victim has found out, its usually too late and he's got his £40 commision. Says he gets 6-8 signed up a night.

That's about £300 a day for lying!!!
Old 05 April 2011, 07:10 PM
badboyz666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Doobs Scoob
Did the same a while ago.. To sum it up:
Broadband - Utter crap.. supposed to be 20MB and i get about 2MB at the most (apparently there are too many users in my local area!!)
V+ - Slow, sometimes completely unresposive and crashes a lot. Really annoying if your out and recording something!!
Telephone line - Gone down 3 times in the last year! Takes an age to speak to anyone with half a brain and even then they fob you off!

I was told once to always go through to the department that handles leaving as they are the only ones based in the UK.

Sky wins hands down for me!
well at LEAST 1 person agrees with me!! maybe its just me ...lol @ poverty package ...i did have top package with sky i must admit all hd channels etc but god damn virgins pants!!!!!!
Old 05 April 2011, 07:19 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

LOL at this thread.

Have been with both Virgin and Sky in recent years. God help anyone if you need decent customer service, from both organisations.

Yes, you get it sorted eventually, but you do have to take some deep breaths.

Package wise, I prefer Sky. I enjoy watching Sky One and when they fell out with each other and Sky withdrew that channel I was peeved.

I now have a pretty good package with Sky, Full TV package, Sky HD, Multiroom, Phone, and broadband. I think it's about £80 a month.

When I have had any sort of problem, like when we moved house, I just phoned and complained and hey presto, £150 goodwill credit etc etc.

I am happy with that.

It is such a big organisation, with so many staff, it can depend on who turns up and how they're feeling that day.

I hope you get it sorted.

Asif

Last edited by AsifScoob; 05 April 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05 April 2011, 07:21 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX
Chatted to a door-to-door Virgin Media salesman last week. He says he just lies about prices and download speeds/limits. Once the victim has found out, its usually too late and he's got his £40 commision. Says he gets 6-8 signed up a night.

That's about £300 a day for lying!!!
I;m sorry but that sounds like the biggest load of rubbish ever
Old 05 April 2011, 07:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone on here work for virgin that wants to defend the company coz i think youre sh1te!!!!!!

I do, work for VM that is.

Normally I would rectify this kind of thing for you, but I can't see you listening .. so go back to Sky, you have a grace period.
Old 05 April 2011, 07:23 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

well at LEAST 1 person agrees with me!! maybe its just me ...lol @ poverty package ...i did have top package with sky i must admit all hd channels etc but god damn virgins pants!!!!!!
SO you had the best sky package and you have the cheapest virgin package, your not really comparing like for like are you?
Old 05 April 2011, 07:28 PM
badboyz666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
I do, work for VM that is.

Normally I would rectify this kind of thing for you, but I can't see you listening .. so go back to Sky, you have a grace period.
lol of course i would listen to anyone who can upgrade me to 20 or 50 meg for FREE and had it about 2 months now only just decided to rant on here about when i tried putting in the night garden on for my 2 year old using "on demand" and took about 10 mins then froze like an old spectrum +2 game used to do lmao
Old 05 April 2011, 07:32 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

lol of course i would listen to anyone who can upgrade me to 20 or 50 meg for FREE and had it about 2 months now only just decided to rant on here about when i tried putting in the night garden on for my 2 year old using "on demand" and took about 10 mins then froze like an old spectrum +2 game used to do lmao
Thats because you were trying to make it play something that is truly damaging to any child!

In The Night Garden - DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!
Old 05 April 2011, 07:39 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Virgin BB 50mb = Good
Virgin TV = ShIt

Their "HD" Selection is shocking!
Old 05 April 2011, 07:43 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I'm guessing they keep the list of channels and the appearance of the box secret till you sign up then?
Old 05 April 2011, 07:47 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I;m sorry but that sounds like the biggest load of rubbish ever
I honestly don't think he's talking rubbish. I was a sales agent for Sky and the commission was outstanding. Best weeks commission I earnt was Around £1000. Quite a few of the sales agents were on over 100k a year, sadly I am a terrible liar and didn't enjoy the job so I left.
Old 05 April 2011, 07:51 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Never been convinced these bundle packages are worth it - you get what you pay for.

We don't have cable here and freeview is sh1te in West Wales so its Sky Sky or Sky - not even sure we can have the BT thingy.

Personally I've never had an issue with Sky. Tried to get multiroom lite (which does exist) but couldn't get anyone to agree so just bought a box extender for the nippers room and we have Sky in 3 rooms - if we are all in bed, she's usually with us so no great shakes you can only watch one channel on both TVs. We have a basic sky, HD and one multiroom and its £43 a month. Even when our HD box failed it was pretty easy to repair the PSU and upgrade the HD whilst it was in bits.

Broadband is Orange and has been for years but they've throttled my connection to the point that I can't stream **** so its effectively useless to me. Migrating to eclipse tomorrow with a bit of luck.

Don't use the home phone so only pay BT for the line - I F*CKING HATE BT. They made such a mess of handing over the wifes business phones it was nothing short of the very worst customer services experience ever.

2nd in line for shocking service was Virgin when they first took over NTL broadband. Failed to set up the DDM, agreed with me to take a credit card payment then took 2 without my authorisation - which in turn locked my card while I was at the Subaru dealer for servicing. Moved account and was still owed £50, 2 letters and a few hour long rants and it was worth me paying £50 not to take another week off my life from the blood pressure!!

Last edited by EddScott; 05 April 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05 April 2011, 07:57 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Edd,

I didn't realise you had electricity down there yet, or are you using a genny

Chip
Old 05 April 2011, 07:57 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Nothing but praise for Virgin, excellent 50mb broadband that is almost always 50mb, on demand service way better than any sky service and the cherry on the top TiVo - which makes the Sky+ box look like a ZX Spectrum

Old 05 April 2011, 07:59 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Edd,

I didn't realise you had electricity down there yet, or are you using a genny

Chip
Only posh folk have gennies, the wife is outside peddling furiously

Broadband here is sh1te. Its not the providers fault though, our noise ratio is right at the point where BB even works. Had BT out but they poke about in the exchange and it's still no faster.

I got 0.5mb download the other day.

Last edited by EddScott; 05 April 2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05 April 2011, 08:47 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

I've got the Virgin poverty package. My 10Mb line is not capped per se, but is traffic limited in the evenings. However that was known to me before I purchased it. I do get about 9.8Mb up though and it appears to match that with no cap.

Can't really go Sky as the ADSL speeds where I am are rubbish (2Mb).

Also I reviewed the TV package before I went with Virgin, so knew exactly what I was getting. It's a lot more than Freeview, but granted less than a full "movies" or "sports" package.

I was here when the installers did their job, I was told the day they were going to visit and was given the option of a call before the visit (so I could get home to meet them), personally I wouldn't let anyone do the work inside the house without me present and would be able to ask them to clear up.

Seems to me like you've not done your homework and just gone Virgin without checking out the options or what you get for your money - it's all there on their website.

Quick Reply: sky vs virgin...no contest!!!!