Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2011, 08:42 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Speed Cameras Stickers

No speed cameras stickers?

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 14 October 2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04 April 2011, 08:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Do a Google search, there were lots of VERY clever ones like these around about four years back.

They said things like, "Watch out, watch out! There's a thief about!" and showed the speed camera logo.
Old 04 April 2011, 08:50 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Yeah i saw them, but they weren't simple enough, and had cheesy lines on.

Thanks

Old 04 April 2011, 08:59 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Might inflame a Copper if he pulls you over and is in two minds to give you a ticket for speeding or not.

Best get a 'I support my local constabulary' sticker or something.
Old 04 April 2011, 09:30 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Yeah i've got over the idea now, was just angry lol.

Thanks

Old 05 April 2011, 05:45 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Might inflame a Copper if he pulls you over and is in two minds to give you a ticket for speeding or not.

Best get a 'I support my local constabulary' sticker or something.
That's dead right.
Old 05 April 2011, 08:37 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

We don't have many speed cameras here, but we do have a sneaky little van, that hides and catches folks driving on a nice quiet road. Revenue maker, for sure

They are good, btw
Old 05 April 2011, 09:00 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

They are turning them back on in Oxfordshire as fatalities and serious injuries have gone up by a third in the period they were switched off
Old 05 April 2011, 09:10 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Here they hide them in bushes covered in cam nets, in the front/back of parked cars on the side of the road, between parked cars in laybys. in ditches, long grass etc. In the winter they dig holes in snow banks and bury them so you can't see them. No warning signs, no loud colours just flash thank you very much.
Old 05 April 2011, 11:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
They are turning them back on in Oxfordshire as fatalities and serious injuries have gone up by a third in the period they were switched off

Like we believe this bollox.

when were they turned off? When we had all the snow, ice and rain?

Like when they quote injury reduction figures, it's ALL down to speed cameras, none of it is down to better tyres, better suspension, airbags, collapsable body parts, side impact bars etc etc etc
Old 05 April 2011, 12:07 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saalro
So i decided to design some "No Speed Cameras" stickers, what do you think?

This is a 3 inch in diameter circular sticker on paper.

This is a 3" by 12" "Bumper Sticker" on vinyl for sticking on the outside of the car.

Thanks
Sam
Do you consider that there should be no speed limits in this country?

Are you such a capable driver that you can drive very fast wherever possible without risking the lives of any other person? Do you think that every driver should have free licence with regard to the speed he is allowed to drive at?

Would you trust all drivers to keep their speed down to genuinely safe levels in constricted areas without any manner of controlling their behaviour? The Oxford observations seem to prove otherwise!

I think we have to be honest and practical when it comes to driver behaviour. It could even be one of your close relatives who gets zonked by some madhead prat who doesn't give a stuff about anyone else!

I never supported speedcams because I dont consider that they are always accurate enough when it comes to convicting a driver. By the same token I don't support driving above the speed limits. The death of an innocent person is just not worth the candle!

Before speedcams we used to have a good presence of traffic police. They were in a good position to be able to judge the ability of a person to drive in all circumstances and whether he was being dangerous. They could of course clock your speed by following you and having stopped you, were then able to check your licence and insurance etc. as well as the apparent safety of the condition of your car or 'bike. not only that, the visual presence of a traffic car was enough to persuade drivers to observe the law.

I would like to see a return to the presence of more traffic police since I consider that would be a good thing.

Your idea of the anti speedcam sign is a poor one which will cut no ice for a start, and as we used to say about obvious anti authority appearance, it could well be worth a significant extra sum on the eventual fine!

The old chestnut about better tyres, brakes and handling etc. wont wash because cars can accelerate faster too, but human reactions have not improved so excess speed is just as dangerous in the wrong place.

Les
Old 05 April 2011, 02:19 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

les think bigger than that mate, the speed limits were introduced in the times when a cars breaking distance could be measured in miles not feet, thnigs have improved massivley since then, my mates fiat coupe can stop at half the breaking distance of 70 mph.

every modern car can do 100 easily on the motor way with no problems at all so why cant we do it?

People in europe can.

The speed limits are there to frustrate drivers into speeding so they can be fined, that is all.

I agree with 30 limits on school roads or estates but 20 mph is taking the pi55, like wise with dual carriage ways, why 60?
isnt 80 ok-thats the speed most do on the silk road on macc anyway so why not just up the limits?

Cos they would lose revenue.

And a for "brake", they can **** off to hell the mung bean eating, recumbent cycling tw@s who think cars are evil and we should all do 5mph, your stuck in the stone age, DO ONE WITH YOUR STUPID BACKWARDS AGENDA! *****!
Old 05 April 2011, 03:09 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I second the 'Brake' comment - how the **** they became a voice to be heard and listened to **** only knows.....
Old 05 April 2011, 03:16 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Correct me if i'm wrong, but you have taken the speed camera sign and then you have put the red signage for no on top of it?

Both original and inspiring.....
Old 05 April 2011, 08:48 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Do you consider that there should be no speed limits in this country?

Are you such a capable driver that you can drive very fast wherever possible without risking the lives of any other person? Do you think that every driver should have free licence with regard to the speed he is allowed to drive at?

Would you trust all drivers to keep their speed down to genuinely safe levels in constricted areas without any manner of controlling their behaviour? The Oxford observations seem to prove otherwise!

I think we have to be honest and practical when it comes to driver behaviour. It could even be one of your close relatives who gets zonked by some madhead prat who doesn't give a stuff about anyone else!

I never supported speedcams because I dont consider that they are always accurate enough when it comes to convicting a driver. By the same token I don't support driving above the speed limits. The death of an innocent person is just not worth the candle!

Before speedcams we used to have a good presence of traffic police. They were in a good position to be able to judge the ability of a person to drive in all circumstances and whether he was being dangerous. They could of course clock your speed by following you and having stopped you, were then able to check your licence and insurance etc. as well as the apparent safety of the condition of your car or 'bike. not only that, the visual presence of a traffic car was enough to persuade drivers to observe the law.

I would like to see a return to the presence of more traffic police since I consider that would be a good thing.

Your idea of the anti speedcam sign is a poor one which will cut no ice for a start, and as we used to say about obvious anti authority appearance, it could well be worth a significant extra sum on the eventual fine!

The old chestnut about better tyres, brakes and handling etc. wont wash because cars can accelerate faster too, but human reactions have not improved so excess speed is just as dangerous in the wrong place.

Les
I simple disagree with speed cameras.

A road near me went from a 50 to a 30 and used to be a 3 lane road, it had been like that for the 6 years i have been driving and the X amount of years other people have been driving it.
I just so happened to drive home using this road one day after work for the first time in a while, little did i know speed cameras had been put up and the road had been changed to 30 and dispite signage stating so, it was clearly not enough and couldn't completely come down to a lack of attension as over 1000 people have been captured in a couple of months. I went back and watched the road for 30 minutes and over 15 people were caught by it.

Do you notice every road sign, details of every person, car, bike, do you notice 100% of everything around you every second you are driving, every second of your life?

Have you ever looked to your left at a hot girl/boy/car/bike/airport... and then looked ahead and needed to brake.

Is looking at every sign not dangerous, specially if you are already going through road works, where there may be workers on the road, and they want you to be looking off the road?

This is what i am against, the "Catching people out.".

And even more so, the road that i got captured on i thought was a 50, i was travling at 40. On the motorway home i was driving at 55/60, the limit is 70. I was driving home extremely safely that day and what did i end up with... a speeding ticket.

So before you assume i don't mind 12 year olds to drive Porche's with no insurance whilst being blind folder and damaging everything and hitting and killing people... "les think bigger than that mate" :P

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 14 October 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05 April 2011, 09:18 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Speed cameras are to raise revenue not to make the roads safer.
Old 05 April 2011, 10:20 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Speed cameras are to raise revenue not to make the roads safer.
This was todays lesson for me, apparently road safety is about writing down number plates and grassing motorists up to the old bill
Old 06 April 2011, 06:14 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I think speed camara's should be used where they are needed. outside schools and hidden turning. I also think they need to up the fines but ditch the points. Then if you get caught say 3 times ina year your banned.

Id rather have a camara then a hump - speed hump - or **** raping.
Old 06 April 2011, 01:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
les think bigger than that mate, the speed limits were introduced in the times when a cars breaking distance could be measured in miles not feet, thnigs have improved massivley since then, my mates fiat coupe can stop at half the breaking distance of 70 mph.

every modern car can do 100 easily on the motor way with no problems at all so why cant we do it?

People in europe can.

The speed limits are there to frustrate drivers into speeding so they can be fined, that is all.

I agree with 30 limits on school roads or estates but 20 mph is taking the pi55, like wise with dual carriage ways, why 60?
isnt 80 ok-thats the speed most do on the silk road on macc anyway so why not just up the limits?

Cos they would lose revenue.

And a for "brake", they can **** off to hell the mung bean eating, recumbent cycling tw@s who think cars are evil and we should all do 5mph, your stuck in the stone age, DO ONE WITH YOUR STUPID BACKWARDS AGENDA! *****!
In the days that those speed limits were set, there was hardly any traffic on the road. When I was first using motor bikes which was a fair time ago, you could fall off your bike, pick yourself and the bike up,check yourself and more importantly the 'bike for any damage, and wheel it to the side of the road before any more traffic appeared!

Despite the improvements in braking etc. man's reactions are just the same as I mentioned above and the extremely heavy traffic which we see most of the time cuts the safety margins enormously, as does travelling at speeds above the speed limits.

Your own conception of what an ace driver you are, able to cope with every occasion, does not entitle you to drive at high speeds when it is so much easier these days to get involved in a serious accident, even if it is not your fault initially. The extra speed you might have been travelling at might also be the difference between injury or death for some other person.

It is down to thought for other road users, your wish to drive ever so fast thinking you are completely safe is selfish.

If you want to drive that way-go and do a track day, you might get a real surprise too and it might help to get it out of your system.

All the racing drivers I knew, despite their abilities on the track, used to drive very carefully on the public roads. They accepted that it would be unfairly dangerous to go over the top with their driving speeds.

Incidentally I do agree that 20mph limits are a mistake, especially in some of the places they have put them. All they do is encourage drivers to break the law because 20 mph is an unnecessary speed limit in most of the places they have installed them around here.

This can be taken as an answer to the OP as well who I think did not read my original post as closely as he might have.

Les
Old 06 April 2011, 01:44 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I thought speed limits were imposed to restrict fuel useage during the war?
Old 06 April 2011, 07:00 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Why all the negativity?
Look on the bright side - you can drive around pissed, on the blower, like a w4nker and not get caught - Brill!
Old 06 April 2011, 07:12 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
In the days that those speed limits were set, there was hardly any traffic on the road. When I was first using motor bikes which was a fair time ago, you could fall off your bike, pick yourself and the bike up,check yourself and more importantly the 'bike for any damage, and wheel it to the side of the road before any more traffic appeared!

Despite the improvements in braking etc. man's reactions are just the same as I mentioned above and the extremely heavy traffic which we see most of the time cuts the safety margins enormously, as does travelling at speeds above the speed limits.

Your own conception of what an ace driver you are, able to cope with every occasion, does not entitle you to drive at high speeds when it is so much easier these days to get involved in a serious accident, even if it is not your fault initially. The extra speed you might have been travelling at might also be the difference between injury or death for some other person.

It is down to thought for other road users, your wish to drive ever so fast thinking you are completely safe is selfish.

If you want to drive that way-go and do a track day, you might get a real surprise too and it might help to get it out of your system.

All the racing drivers I knew, despite their abilities on the track, used to drive very carefully on the public roads. They accepted that it would be unfairly dangerous to go over the top with their driving speeds.

Incidentally I do agree that 20mph limits are a mistake, especially in some of the places they have put them. All they do is encourage drivers to break the law because 20 mph is an unnecessary speed limit in most of the places they have installed them around here.

This can be taken as an answer to the OP as well who I think did not read my original post as closely as he might have.

Les
The problem with speed limit laws, is that you are not being penalised for wronging someone, but on the basis that you might be more likely to wrong someone if you are breaking these laws.
It is not as though you are coveting your neighbours wife or anything.
Speeding doesn't hurt anyone unless you crash.
It is for this reason (IMO) that policing speed limits with cameras with is just bad policing. There is no discretion as to the time, traffic conditions etc. etc.
However, it seems that there are those who know better and who think otherwise.
Having said that, there are some complete f*ckwits out there.
Old 07 April 2011, 03:32 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
I agree with 30 limits on school roads or estates but 20 mph is taking the pi55
Have you seen the stats of how many people (%age wise) die if you hit them at 30 compared to 20 ? I am all for a camera outside every school and a limit of 20 if it makes my sons upcoming walks home from school that little bit safer (even if it is only statistically).

Dave
Old 07 April 2011, 06:32 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
Have you seen the stats of how many people (%age wise) die if you hit them at 30 compared to 20 ? I am all for a camera outside every school and a limit of 20 if it makes my sons upcoming walks home from school that little bit safer (even if it is only statistically).

Dave
What stats?
How did they get these "stats".
I'd love to see their experiment in action.
I have seen a few emotive advertisments on TV that wish to push these "stats". They always seem to give it the old 80% - 20% line.
I have also seen a lot of government health warnings on cigarette packets which bare little relationship to real life observation.
Old 07 April 2011, 07:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
The problem with speed limit laws, is that you are not being penalised for wronging someone, but on the basis that you might be more likely to wrong someone if you are breaking these laws.
It is not as though you are coveting your neighbours wife or anything.
Speeding doesn't hurt anyone unless you crash.
It is for this reason (IMO) that policing speed limits with cameras with is just bad policing. There is no discretion as to the time, traffic conditions etc. etc.
However, it seems that there are those who know better and who think otherwise.
Having said that, there are some complete f*ckwits out there.
Yes that all right enough. The whole idea of course is protection of the others who are around. Can't really do it any other way. Gets too unwieldy
when it comes to traffic and conditions etc except that it could be taken into consideration by the court.

Les
Old 07 April 2011, 07:55 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

real life observation would lead you to believe that the world is flat and still

in fact it is round and travelling at 1000 mph (and through space much faster)
Old 07 April 2011, 08:08 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

real life observation would lead you to believe that the world is flat and still

Old 07 April 2011, 10:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

No brakes...no steering!

Les
Old 07 April 2011, 12:27 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/speed%20...20lies%202.asp
Old 07 April 2011, 01:51 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

1. Many sections of road are being speed limited due to statistics. Drug dealer crashes because coppers use a "stinger" = 50 > 30 mph.
2. Car design and therefore safety increases every year.
3. I fully support more resources put into traffic policing by real coppers.
4. Scameras catch ordinary folk doing ordinary stuff, how often do they get "us" going flat-chat ?
5. 20 or even 10 mph past a school (when busy) is fine by me !

dunx

Quick Reply: "No Speed Cameras" Stickers