Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Budget ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2011, 02:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Budget ?

What joys will they have for us next week, judging by this thread on PH apparently car drivers have not had enough yet so need a bit more of a slap,

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...%20tax%20bands

Just gone on and taxed my 8 year old car, for £245, apparently thats not enough, £445 next time though I suspect it will be a bit less than the hyperbole, then it doesnt seem so bad....

Water bill just gone up a tenner a month.

Is it me or do wages seem to scale differently to prices, where is all my wage going ?
Old 18 March 2011, 02:37 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't see how they get away with the road tax scam. You can do 2000 miles a year in a gas guzzler that will cost you £445 or you can do 100,000 miles a year in a 1.6 diesel focus that costs £35 to tax. How does that save the environment?
Old 18 March 2011, 02:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Fantom, you are making the mistake that its about the environment, its about getting very last penny, to be fair they are sorting out the mess Labour left but a £200 increase is just wrong, totally unfair.
Old 18 March 2011, 02:49 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Think I'll hang onto my Fiat 500 a bit longer then.... £35 a year VED
Old 18 March 2011, 02:50 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Yes but it annoys me that they can't just be straight. Why base it on CO2. Ideally road tax should be at a uniform rate apart from large vehicles which perhaps damage the road more. And ALL of the money should be spend on the roads. The government should not be able to use it for other things.
They should reduce road tax and increase income tax if they really need the money.
But better still they should reduce benefits
Old 18 March 2011, 02:50 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

I'd gladly pay more VED.......................if all the roads were surfaced like Silverstone GP circuit! (complete with red and white kerbs )
Old 18 March 2011, 02:53 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Clare, that Fiat 500 will soon be nearer £200 a year to tax........
Old 18 March 2011, 03:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What's this £200 increase?

My tax is up at the end of April...........should I get it now?
Old 18 March 2011, 03:03 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

I was thinking the same Alcazar as mine is up end of April, only the Express has reported on it so far, google don't show squat.........
Old 18 March 2011, 03:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, mine isn't in a band, it's a 98 uk car?

Cost me £112.75 for 6 months last time I taxed it?

Last edited by alcazar; 18 March 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 18 March 2011, 03:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Might all be rubbish this, but there is usually some truth in these rumours, they have deffered it for ages.

Our Fiat 500 is free to tax Clare, £106 to insure but utterly horrible to drive

Dont know what will happen with pre 2001 cars but thats where I will be going, going to get that 20VT MK2 converted Golf. Wife keeps telling me to get a 1 litre car, sod that, kids need to learn, they can do it with an instructor, I am not paying five grand plus to put them on the road, they can get public transport until they can afford to drive, my wife got a car provided and just expects one to be there.

Not sure about existing cheap to tax cars but it cant last, everyone spends 15/20 grand so they get cheap to tax Bluemotions (Bluemotion, sounds like a Poo after eating the icing off shop bought Thunderbirds birthday cake....), then they **** the tax up, they cant lose all those £200's so they will as usual change the goalposts.
Old 18 March 2011, 03:31 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Think I'll hang onto my Fiat 500 a bit longer then.... £35 a year VED
At the moment. £135 after the Budget. Probably.
Old 18 March 2011, 03:56 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

So if you pay the highest at the moment ie 450 notes, is that going up????

Mac
Old 18 March 2011, 04:00 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bristol98
Clare, that Fiat 500 will soon be nearer £200 a year to tax........
Low emission cars surely won't be affected!
Old 18 March 2011, 04:10 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

They need to think about child benefit withdrawal otherwise there's not a hope in hell that their core 'middle class' voters will put them back in come next election.

1 x £43k + 1 x £5k earner will lose their child benefit
2 x £42k earners get to keep their child benefit

What imbecile thought that 1 up

Fuel has gone bananas, they need to cut fuel duty, inflation is rocketing, it's going to get even higher as high fuel costs means high everything else costs.

I used to get a tesco shop for under £100 a year or so ago it's more like £160 now Simple things like Rice crispies at £3.19, WTF, they were £2.29 a few months ago. Shake n vac a few months ago used to be 69p, now £1.34

Even Blockbuster are at it, you used to get 4 dvds for £10 for 5 nights, now you get 3 dvds for £10.50 for 3 nights.

Packagings getting smaller too, mars bars, crisps, we're all getting less for more.

Royally shafted.

I see higher rate tax is being dropped down to £42.5k from £43.7k. National insurance is going up by 1% to 12%.

Public sector workers are on pay freezes with rocketing inflation, their bills are rocketing and mortgage costs will soon need to rise too in order to control inflation.

We're all doomed
Old 18 March 2011, 04:10 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Clare

Thats their plan, as it said on the newspaper, when brought in it was to stop people buying gas guzzlers, only 1000 cars was in low emission land.

Now over 37000 cars are there and they want to rip you off, so i would not be surprised if the low emission cars are targeted.

My car is the highest band, i wonder if mine is going up???

Mac
Old 18 March 2011, 04:19 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Why do we bother working, grrrrrrrr
Old 18 March 2011, 04:22 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
Clare

Thats their plan, as it said on the newspaper, when brought in it was to stop people buying gas guzzlers, only 1000 cars was in low emission land.

Now over 37000 cars are there and they want to rip you off, so i would not be surprised if the low emission cars are targeted.

My car is the highest band, i wonder if mine is going up???

Mac
Oh dear, this country is very messed up
Old 18 March 2011, 04:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEO-RS
They need to think about child benefit withdrawal otherwise there's not a hope in hell that their core 'middle class' voters will put them back in come next election.

1 x £43k + 1 x £5k earner will lose their child benefit
2 x £42k earners get to keep their child benefit

What imbecile thought that 1 up

Fuel has gone bananas, they need to cut fuel duty, inflation is rocketing, it's going to get even higher as high fuel costs means high everything else costs.

I used to get a tesco shop for under £100 a year or so ago it's more like £160 now Simple things like Rice crispies at £3.19, WTF, they were £2.29 a few months ago. Shake n vac a few months ago used to be 69p, now £1.34

Even Blockbuster are at it, you used to get 4 dvds for £10 for 5 nights, now you get 3 dvds for £10.50 for 3 nights.

Packagings getting smaller too, mars bars, crisps, we're all getting less for more.

Royally shafted.

I see higher rate tax is being dropped down to £42.5k from £43.7k. National insurance is going up by 1% to 12%.

Public sector workers are on pay freezes with rocketing inflation, their bills are rocketing and mortgage costs will soon need to rise too in order to control inflation.

We're all doomed
I feel your pain and am also wondering what will happen with the Child Benefit, I earn decent money but its just me working at the moment so we will really miss that £188 a month, I dotn see it as a benefit, you just get some of your tax back if you have kids, it isnt unfair on those without kids, it is their choice not to have any and I dont think £12 a week really covers the cost, they think they are paying for my kids, no, they are paying for someone to do stuff when they retire !

I get annoyed as I work hard but dont see any money for myself, for fun stuff, its all bills, food and other mundane crap, I am due a bonus but I will bne lucky to see half of it, the government get 50 percent of it yet as my wife doesnt work as she is looking after the house and kids, she doesnt use her tax allowance, saqme family unit, penalised for one bread winner.
Old 18 March 2011, 04:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Came over a bit Monty Python on reading that.

Overtime, overtime you say, at least you get overtime, we dream of overtime, we get hit in the face with a stick covered in dog **** and have to pay for it, and count ourselves lucky

But I know what you mean, kind of feels like a ceiling on your income, to see a benefit you have to really earn a lot more before you notice it, especially with whats going on with prices and everything.

4 kids, are you mad man !
Old 18 March 2011, 04:52 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Any rumours on co. car tax.

I've chosen a 109g/km car to try and avoid the worst of any future rises but so are most people! again, just like VED, they will no doubt "re-draw the map" to recoup their losses.

Steve
Old 18 March 2011, 04:55 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom
Yes but it annoys me that they can't just be straight. Why base it on CO2. Ideally road tax should be at a uniform rate apart from large vehicles which perhaps damage the road more. And ALL of the money should be spend on the roads. The government should not be able to use it for other things.
They should reduce road tax and increase income tax if they really need the money.
But better still they should reduce benefits
The vast majority of the "Road Fund Tax" has not been used on the roads for more years than anyone can rememeber.

The motorist has always been regarded as "rich" and therefore treated as a convenient target for raising money for whatever purposes they feel like!

Global warming due to CO2, "or climate change" now that the global temperature increase has been shown to be a sham, has and is still being used in the same fashion to raise tax.

Les
Old 18 March 2011, 05:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************

It's only my kids that keep me sane!
I find its the other way round.
Old 18 March 2011, 05:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Reading the article, it's the LE cars they are targetting
Old 18 March 2011, 05:36 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

They've already changed the emissions criteria for the congestion zone in London so a lot of the 'low emissions' cars now don't qualify for exception.
Tax only ever goes one way and us drivers are the easiest target, no matter what government is in power...
Old 18 March 2011, 07:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i don't want to scare you -- but it is going to get much much worse, real incomes will stagnate for the next 10 to 20 years (and debateable if they ever recover)

people who could have a decent lifestyle on 50k will see it diminish each year, to the point they are just one paycheck from poverty

money will inevitably flow upwards

anything less than 100K and you may as well forget it
Old 18 March 2011, 08:03 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

holy ****, looks like im buggered then, our take home a year is around 18k, so if you need 50k, i better start packing now lol

Quick Reply: The Budget ?