Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

GOVT. IN COMMON SENSE SHOCKER...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2011, 11:22 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation GOVT. IN COMMON SENSE SHOCKER...!!!

Heard on The Wright Stuff just now that the laws on squatting are gonna change i.e. it's gonna be made illegal to do so.

The only surprising thing about this, is how come it has taken so long for the govt. to 'realise' the obvious and ludicrous flaw of the law as it currently exists!!!

Last edited by joz8968; 18 March 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 18 March 2011, 11:32 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I wouldn't object to a law saying that people who own property that is just left empty should be obliged to keep them in a reasonable state and either rent them out or sell them. It does seem a bit odd that there are thousands of empty properties around in times when we are told that there is a housing shortage?

dl
Old 18 March 2011, 11:45 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

True.

But I can't stand hearing stories of squatters having more rights once in a property, when the owner comes back to live in it.

Not all homes left are left in a state of disrepair, etc.

It's THAT particular 'loophole' that needs closing and (presumably?) the change to law will do that.

Also, some (not all) squatters, by their very nature, surely are trying not to contribute into 'system' as much as they can get away with?! So the 'paying into the system' homeowners are surely of more value to the country, so am happy for the law to 'side' with them.
Old 18 March 2011, 11:50 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

It's not just empty derelict properties that they move into. It can be the home of someone who has gone on holiday, or a home someone is doing up prior to moving in.
Old 18 March 2011, 11:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Some squatters must have moved into a government minister's third house, no other reason for them to change the law now.
Cynic? Who, me?
Old 18 March 2011, 11:58 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong. I am certainly not pro-squatter. I think it is ridiculous that some one, or group, can simply move into someone else's property and seemingly have "rights" to stay there.

dl
Old 18 March 2011, 12:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
But I wouldn't object to a law saying that people who own property that is just left empty should be obliged to keep them in a reasonable state and either rent them out or sell them. It does seem a bit odd that there are thousands of empty properties around in times when we are told that there is a housing shortage?

dl
I partially agree on the maintanence thing. However I abhore the suggestion that a propety owner should be 'forced' into renting out. It's their property so they have the right to do as they please. IMO there is no property shortage; only a shortage for those who can't afford to rent or buy one ( cheers Labour ).

When I was lumbered with my dad's house after he died I actually got continuous letters from the council basically bullying me to rent it out. It made me livid to the point I tried to find the person responsible for the letters and meet them face to face and see how they would enjoy some counter-bullying..

Fact of the matter is, whilst its a pretty house and the grounds are impeccably maintained (except for the TPO'd trees that council wouldn't let me prune). The costs involved in making it 'rentable' combined with the aggrevation of 'keeping' a tennant was far more than I wanted to deal with at the time; The last thing I wanted is the risk of a dodgy/moaning tennant constantly demanding repairs or treating it like a sh*t-tip (or tunning it into a cannabis factory) and doing a runner after I spent £££££'s on making it rentable then needing to spend another ££££'s to put it right again.

Yes I could have sold it, but at that point in time it just wasn't logical (collapsed housing market). In the end it belonged to me, I paid the rates on it so it was all legal and above board and I kept it tidy and secured - so why should the council bully me into renting or selling it? Could you ever see the DVLA forcing you to rent out your second car because you didn't use it? I think not. So why should the council or govenment do the same to privately owned property? I'd rather bull-doze it than be forced to succumb to their demands...then it would really be an eyesore.

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 March 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 18 March 2011, 12:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I partially agree on the maintanence thing. However I abhore the suggestion that a propety owner should be 'forced' into renting out. It's their property so they have the right to do as they please. IMO there is no property shortage; only a shortage for those who can't afford to rent or buy one ( cheers Labour ).

When I was lumbered with my dad's house after he died I actually got continuous letters from the council basically bullying me to rent it out. It made me livid to the point I tried to find the person responsible for the letters and meet them face to face and see how they would enjoy some counter-bullying..

Fact of the matter is, whilst its a pretty house and the grounds are impeccably maintained (except for the TPO'd trees that council wouldn't let me prune). The costs involved in making it 'rentable' combined with the aggrevation of 'keeping' a tennant was far more than I wanted to deal with at the time; The last thing I wanted is the risk of a dodgy/moaning tennant constantly demanding repairs or treating it like a sh*t-tip (or tunning it into a cannabis factory) and doing a runner after I spent £££££'s on making it rentable then needing to spend another ££££'s to put it right again.

Yes I could have sold it, but at that point in time it just wasn't logical (collapsed housing market). In the end it belonged to me, I paid the rates on it so it was all legal and above board and I kept it tidy and secured - so why should the council bully me into renting or selling it? Could you ever see the DVLA forcing you to rent out your second car because you didn't use it? I think not. So why should the council or govenment do the same to privately owned property? I'd rather bull-doze it than be forced to succumb to their demands...then it would really be an eyesore.
Hard to argue with that Ali. I am thinking more of the houses that are just left for years and gradually fall into disrepair and are vandalised. In the circumstances you describe I think you need the equivalent of a SORN declaration on a temporary basis

On the TPO trees thing you just need to wait for a big storm and "attend" to the trees in question. Act of God then

dl
Old 18 March 2011, 01:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

dl
Holiday Homes?

What if you bought yourself a lovely holiday home in the Lake District for you and your family to enjoy at weekends and holidays. Only to turn up one weekend to find 4 hippies claiming squatters rights.

You'd be pretty miffed no? You'd phone the Police, only to be told they have more rights than you. So pack the car up, and feckoff home.
Old 18 March 2011, 01:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Holiday Homes?

What if you bought yourself a lovely holiday home in the Lake District for you and your family to enjoy at weekends and holidays. Only to turn up one weekend to find 4 hippies claiming squatters rights.

You'd be pretty miffed no? You'd phone the Police, only to be told they have more rights than you. So pack the car up, and feckoff home.

I'd be more than miffed - I would go phucking mad

I wasn't talking about holiday home unless they were left to rot, empty for years.

dl
Old 18 March 2011, 01:32 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stilover
Holiday Homes?

Sounds like a good weekend out
I have had friends who have squatted (in the 80s in unoccupied council properties) and it all seems very bohemian etc. but quite why the laws have existed unchanged for so long in this country has always been a mystery to me.
Perhaps the "cynic" who said a politicians third home being occupied was the catalyst, has indeed hit the nail on the head.
Old 18 March 2011, 01:50 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

They probably emptied the moat

Or sunk the duck house........

dl
Old 18 March 2011, 02:20 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Squatting?
As in what wimmins do when caught short?

Old 18 March 2011, 02:34 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Squatting?
As in what wimmins do when caught short?

Mike: Neil - squat down?

Neil: Oh yeah right great idea Mike. Er guys I've got something well scary to lay on you OK, so like squat down.

Rick: Brilliant! Squatting, right on, youth control, no rent!
Old 18 March 2011, 05:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am very glad to hear of that action.

Quite ridiculous that anyone can just move into your house and take it over completely, even flogging off the owner's possessions, and the authorities can do nothing about it. If you are so previous as to throw them out of your own home, you will get taken to court for trying to get your own property back!

It is straightforward theft and we should be fully protected from that.

Les