Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone use a Garmin SatNav?

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2011, 11:23 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone use a Garmin SatNav?

I am doing some long journeys at the moment so I found a Sat Nav that I had bought the kids a couple of years ago and thought I would give it a go. Never used one before or even seen one operating

Anyway this is a Garmin Nuvi, don't know the model number and, of course, instructions lost.

So I plug into lighter socket and red light comes on on charger. This light goes out intermittently. So off I go and unit works for a while dishing out instructions but then seems to stop working sometimes with message saying battery low before going "off air".

So any tips as to what might be going wrong? Would the battery need replacing - I can't even see where battery is (is it part of socket charging unit?). What does light on socket unit indicate? May be the cigarette lighter socket is faulty although it seems to work?

I don't really want to fork out another 100 odd quid.

Thanks, David
Old 15 March 2011, 11:32 AM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the battery is completely dead! Leave it on charge over night from the mains and see if that improves it. Other than that i would just leave it powered from the cigarette lighter all the time.
Old 15 March 2011, 11:35 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

You seem to have a dodgy connection to your *** lighter/charger somewhere.

My Garmin works fine on the in car charger. Give it a wiggle at the lighter end until you get a constant red light showing.

The red light should be on all the time.
Old 15 March 2011, 11:43 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have the same one as you. You need to twiddle the charger that goes in the cig lighter. Also, mine wont work for very long without the charger plugged in.

I bought my one as an emergency when the Snooper was on the blink.

My Snooper will work up to 4 hours without the charger.
Old 15 March 2011, 11:51 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
You seem to have a dodgy connection to your *** lighter/charger somewhere.

My Garmin works fine on the in car charger. Give it a wiggle at the lighter end until you get a constant red light showing.

The red light should be on all the time.
Yeah I thought that should be the case. I did wonder whether the lighter had a cut off device to stop the lighter burning out? I have tried the wiggle - a hammer next

=======

Don't see how I can re-charge from the mains??? Where is battery anyway, maybe I can get a new one?

I'll get the maps out just in case.......

Cheers, David
Old 15 March 2011, 12:03 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

You can just plug the Garmin into your PC and it'll charge whilst connected. If you have never plugged it into a PC, go to garmin.com and update the firmware while you are about it!

You should also just be able to plug in a USB cable to your cigarette lighter with something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/micro-dc-to-usb-adaptor-274029

Steve
Old 15 March 2011, 12:49 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Lock
I am doing some long journeys at the moment so I found a Sat Nav that I had bought the kids a couple of years ago and thought I would give it a go. Never used one before or even seen one operating

Anyway this is a Garmin Nuvi, don't know the model number and, of course, instructions lost.

So I plug into lighter socket and red light comes on on charger. This light goes out intermittently. So off I go and unit works for a while dishing out instructions but then seems to stop working sometimes with message saying battery low before going "off air".

So any tips as to what might be going wrong? Would the battery need replacing - I can't even see where battery is (is it part of socket charging unit?). What does light on socket unit indicate? May be the cigarette lighter socket is faulty although it seems to work?

I don't really want to fork out another 100 odd quid.

Thanks, David
On the back of mine there is a barcode with a string of numbers and more info.You should be able to find out what one you have. Mine says Nuvi 225 and Made In Taiwan.
Old 15 March 2011, 04:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks chaps and Ms Squares,

All very helpful. It is a Nuvi 200 model made just after WW2 I think

I reckon it's a dodgy lighter connection. But I have now downloaded a manual which may help.

Cheers, David
Old 15 March 2011, 04:35 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Do you have an iPhone or other smartphone? if so there are some very cheap alternatives (some free!) to a fixed satnav device.

I gave up using my hardware tomtom for CoPilot Europe on my iPhone, its fantastic and very well priced.
Old 15 March 2011, 05:28 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Do you have an iPhone or other smartphone? if so there are some very cheap alternatives (some free!) to a fixed satnav device.

I gave up using my hardware tomtom for CoPilot Europe on my iPhone, its fantastic and very well priced.

Good suggestion but I am still catching up with technology

I have only just replaced my Nokia 2310 with a 3310. But my daughter has an HTC phone which seems to do most things so maybe she will let me borrow that.

d
Old 15 March 2011, 05:36 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

CoPilot Live is £26.99 from the Android market

Copilot Live is very resource hungry and runs quite slowly on older handsets such as the T-Mobile G1 and HTC Magic. The great looking interface is really well designed and works well, but often lags behind when you press buttons on the screen. Redrawing of the 3D maps is also pretty slow as you drive around, but is normally just about fast enough. It's a shame it struggles a bit on the G1 and Magic because otherwise Copilot Live is superb and is also pretty well priced. You can speed up the map redrawing a bit by changing the 3D angle, zooming in a bit, and switching POI display off, but still it's way slower than some of the other sat nav apps. If you have loads of apps installed, you might need to remove some to install Copliot, because the install takes 15Mb of the phone's memory!

On newer, more powerful handsets such as the Nexus One and HTC Desire, Copilot runs much better. So I'd recommend Copilot if your Android handset is up to the job.
It runs perfectly on any iPhone

Last edited by Jaybird-UK; 15 March 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 15 March 2011, 05:58 PM
JayM
Scooby Regular

CoPilot Live is £26.99 from the Android market

It runs perfectly on any iPhone
Bet it doesn't run on the 2g with no GPS

Also - If you have an android phone with an OK data plan, you can use Google Navigation for free.

Uses google maps, and downloads the route on the fly.
Old 15 March 2011, 06:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep , got one on the boat

Gives you an arrow pointing leftish or rightish depending on how far off course you are

assuming youve programmed in the correct lat and long of your destination , whilst sober
Old 15 March 2011, 06:25 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Yep , got one on the boat

Gives you an arrow pointing leftish or rightish depending on how far off course you are

assuming youve programmed in the correct lat and long of your destination , whilst sober
Hey, Dunx! I never thought you would use a satnav on the boat. My bad. Just wondering what happens when you get too far, and when it doesn't give you any arrow to left-ish, right-ish, or straight-ish, even? Does it show you an arrow pointing upwards? Or, does it indicate downwards? Do you use iPhone compass to find your way back?
Old 15 March 2011, 06:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No its ok it uses satellites , theyre every where

Needs 3 at least 5 is better , i think . Havnt used it in quite , its probably lost its bearings completley even with ok ? batteries in it

Noooo....... thats another 4 aa batteries down

Mus get a power lead for the 12v !

Last edited by dpb; 15 March 2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 15 March 2011, 06:40 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JayM
Bet it doesn't run on the 2g with no GPS

Also - If you have an android phone with an OK data plan, you can use Google Navigation for free.

Uses google maps, and downloads the route on the fly.
OK, any iPhone with GPS (I actually use it on a 3GS) where as not every current Android phone can run satnav

Download Satnavs are terrible and I would avoid unless you are certain you are only driving in a 3G area.

Since I use my phone satnav in Europe a download one like google maps would be financial suicide
Old 15 March 2011, 08:55 PM
JayM
Scooby Regular

OK, any iPhone with GPS (I actually use it on a 3GS) where as not every current Android phone can run satnav

Download Satnavs are terrible and I would avoid unless you are certain you are only driving in a 3G area.

Since I use my phone satnav in Europe a download one like google maps would be financial suicide
I'm fairly sure any GPS enabled Android phone will run satnav.

The google maps 1, you can set up your route while at home on wifi etc, and it'll cache the entire map needed for the journey, as well as a set distance off the planned route, so you can technically use it "offline".