Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Famous, Rich and in the Slums

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2011, 10:12 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I am very cynical about these sorts of things to be honest, but thought it was an excellent programme.

Angela Ripoff was the most impressive for me. Will definitely watch it next week.

Do you think they were ever in any real sort of danger though?

Asif
Old 03 March 2011, 10:15 PM
scoobywrxwagon
Scooby Regular

I did but wasnt expecting it to be so powerfull shock of reality. Makes me feel extremely lucky to be in the position me and my family are in.
Old 03 March 2011, 10:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That is one big **** of a slum isnt it

Im sure iv been seeing it on the box for some years tho , so im surprised our aid/ the government cant do something for the drainage situation ,guess they wont cos they
they want it to remain a slum - or bulldoze it like Mugabe did the one outside Harare

Makes Soweto look nice !
Old 03 March 2011, 10:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes it was a good and genuinely moving programme. The easy option is to say "I've seen it all before" and watch something else.

What always frustrates me is the fact that the government, Kenya in this case, almost totally ignores the situation. OK they can't afford to build a million houses but they do have the resources to put in some basic water and sewerage systems and perhaps a few electricity cables while they are at it.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 03 March 2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04 March 2011, 09:39 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I watched it whilst the old man was up the pub and he came home and immediately stated that I looked a wreck cos I'd been crying so much! Thanks love

Seriously, what a way to live. I give massive kudos to those celebrities, especially Reggie who did actually empty those toilets! I mean, how disgusting! And I love Lenny for giving back that money. He could afford to pay for that family for the rest of their lives, so some could say it was a hollow gesture, but the strength of the father not wanting to accept the money, really melted my heart....

I think this is a different tactic for these programmes, we usually see poor people in rural communities without water and basic hygiene, but to see people living like this on top of each other and with open cesspits outside their door, is another level of shock. I'd liek to show this to some of the ungrateful young people I have to work with when they say they won't get out of bed for less than £200 a week... How's about £1.5 a day???
Old 04 March 2011, 12:06 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only caught the second half of the programme but will watch it on iPlayer later.

I actually opened this thread with a wince, expecting some lazy arsed cynical ****e to be tearing chunks out of Lenny and co.
I needn't have worried it seems.

Loads of credit to them all for putting themselves out there and raising awareness and hopefully something more.
Their reactions and tears seemed entirely genuine and I was swallowing bricks towards the end when Lenny was trying so hard to hold himself together.
Brilliantly moving stuff.
Old 04 March 2011, 12:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Anyone else watch it?

Left with so many emotions and a smack in the face of reality and a huge portion of perspective.

I wasn't going to watch it but so glad I did now. 2nd part next week.
Anything with Lenny Bl00dy Henry in it gets turned off, immediately.

Happened to flick it onto `Day Break` yesterday, where they mentioned they were going to interview Lenny Bl00dy Henry. The camera shot went to Lenny Bl00dy Henry, who pulled a silly face and pointed to his big Red nose.

Camera shot went back to the Irish T*rt who looked at the Camera, and said "He's on form". WTF

Pull a dumb face and point to a Red nose, and that is being "On Form"?
Old 04 March 2011, 02:13 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak of the devil.
Old 04 March 2011, 02:17 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 7 Foot
Speak of the devil.
Yeah, I have to agree with you that I thought the holier than thou Snetters would be about saying how set up it was etc. etc. but was pleasantly surprised that everyone was being complimentary. What a shame....
Old 04 March 2011, 03:00 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I didn't see any red noses on the documentary? dl
Old 04 March 2011, 04:13 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

The one thing I said to the Mrs was there was no way on this Earth Samantha Womack was being left alone there. A white blonde woman in that environment. Also for any of them the risk of kidnap/ransom means it would have been impossible to have left them on their own.

Thats what was good about the program, it ripped into that sort of attitude. If a white, good looking blonde walked down your street would you expect her to get kidnapped or raped. Of course not, but in a black ghetto we expect that might happen. The program showed that even in extreme poverty you can still be a decent human being, with morals and manners. They are not bad people, they are just in a bad situation.

The big question is: When so little money, makes such a big difference why do we do so little to help. (not making a judgement, just asking)
Old 04 March 2011, 05:37 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr

The big question is: When so little money, makes such a big difference why do we do so little to help. (not making a judgement, just asking)
Partly because of he numbers involved. There are slums like that on a huge scale throughout the world.

And those of us who are lucky enough to have a decent home simply like to block out the reality (and I include myself).

Really the only way is for countries themselves to do more.

dl
Old 04 March 2011, 09:00 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

I truly hate seeing people living in these conditions throughout the world, and yes it makes me feel guilty every time I see it knowing how priviledged we are in the West. Programmes like this show what human beings will endure to survive and just how densly populated some areas have become.

This world is a harsh place goverened mainly by where you have the misfortune to be born into it, but what happens if we put an end to the poverty in an already over populated world?
Old 10 March 2011, 10:49 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
I truly hate seeing people living in these conditions throughout the world, and yes it makes me feel guilty every time I see it knowing how priviledged we are in the West. Programmes like this show what human beings will endure to survive and just how densly populated some areas have become.

This world is a harsh place goverened mainly by where you have the misfortune to be born into it, but what happens if we put an end to the poverty in an already over populated world?
People wouldnt need to produce 6 offspring in the hope that 1 or 2 would survive ?, so perhaps your talking bull****e .

Glad lenny got them out of that place , whats the chances he paid doulbe bubble

Last edited by dpb; 10 March 2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11 March 2011, 09:20 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

It makes you think about life for sure and what a wasteful society we are.
Old 11 March 2011, 09:32 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Anyone else watch it?

Left with so many emotions and a smack in the face of reality and a huge portion of perspective.

I wasn't going to watch it but so glad I did now. 2nd part next week.
+1.

I am glad Lenny Henry stepped in and moved that orphaned family out of the toilet they where living in and the other three helped those they where staying with. I flicked over to Relocation, Relocation for a minute or so to see a youngish couple house hunting with 450k, normally i would have enjoyed viewing the properties but tbh it made it feel wrong, given what i had seen on Rich, Famous and in the slums.
Old 11 March 2011, 01:21 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
+1.
I flicked over to Relocation, Relocation for a minute or so to see a youngish couple house hunting with 450k, normally i would have enjoyed viewing the properties but tbh it made it feel wrong, given what i had seen on Rich, Famous and in the slums.
I did the same and thought the same!
Old 11 March 2011, 01:40 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

So sad again, I would have done exactly the same if I was Lenny and could afford it. Shame there isn't enough money in the world to sort this out.... Or is there?
Old 11 March 2011, 07:11 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
So sad again, I would have done exactly the same if I was Lenny and could afford it. Shame there isn't enough money in the world to sort this out.... Or is there?
Easily i would imagine.

Have a look at the slum on google earth. Right next door is a golf course.

http://www.satellite-sightseer.com/id/11552

Last edited by paulr; 11 March 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11 March 2011, 07:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

quite incredible
Old 12 March 2011, 12:01 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Anything with Lenny Bl00dy Henry in it gets turned off, immediately.

Happened to flick it onto `Day Break` yesterday, where they mentioned they were going to interview Lenny Bl00dy Henry. The camera shot went to Lenny Bl00dy Henry, who pulled a silly face and pointed to his big Red nose.

Camera shot went back to the Irish T*rt who looked at the Camera, and said "He's on form". WTF

Pull a dumb face and point to a Red nose, and that is being "On Form"?
Like him or loathe him he was the founder of the comic relief charity which has so far raised £400million to fund education, immunization, rebuilding, and community work in the United Kingdom and around the world so I would say a BIG to Lenny.

Chip

Last edited by Chip; 12 March 2011 at 12:04 PM.