Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do I deal with my Landlady?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2011, 11:42 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I deal with my Landlady?

My landlady seems to get "friends and family" to fix things around my house whenever it goes wrong, I use " because I can only suspect they are friends and family as its the same useless people that come round and clearly don't seem to know what they are talking about.

Now to cut a long story short my landlady has sent a snotty txt message to my missus after she sent a Spark out to sort a few lighting issues out for us. This Spark seems to have conveyed false information to the landlady on how we are living in the house and it has really bugged the **** out of me as I am now feeling that my privacy has been violated in my own home.

The house at the moment needs a bit of work to put it back into the standards that I was first given it in but under the circumstances I don't feel the need to do so and just want my deposit back and to give her my notice period on the house.

How likely do you think it is she will just hand over my deposit and let me on my way?
Old 02 March 2011, 11:48 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What work would you say needs doing? If it is structural, too bloody right you should sort it before you leave. Or bye bye deposit.
Even if it isn't structural and may be just the decor, I would still want my tenant to leave it as they found it. Wouldn't you?

Last edited by Gear Head; 02 March 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02 March 2011, 11:48 AM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

If the house isnt returned in the same state as you received it in then the Landlord/lady will keep the deposit make no bones about that
Old 02 March 2011, 11:50 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Irish landlords, never again !
Old 02 March 2011, 11:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
If the house isnt returned in the same state as you received it in then the Landlord/lady will keep the deposit make no bones about that
Yep - agreed

What sort of "work needed" are you talking about jamz3k?
Old 02 March 2011, 11:58 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

by a bit of work, I mean a lick of paint around the door frames etc but after repainting rooms multiple times due to damp issues which haven't been sorted within 4years, I am a little bit peeved t spending money on paint for this house ever again.

If she decides not to give my deposit back, could I take her to court for compensation as I've been renting/paying for a 2bedroomed house and for the past 2years I haven't been able to use the second bedroom due to damp and I have given her ample time to fix this situation?

I'll give you a for instance, My next door neighbour works in the trade and knows my house has a damp issue due to an unblocked chimney and there being no damp course AND the roof up until last year needed replaced. I got an inspector out and he told me the exact same thing. She got someone out to inspect it and was told that it wasn't the house but was infact the way we were living in the house.
Old 02 March 2011, 12:02 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
by a bit of work, I mean a lick of paint around the door frames etc but after repainting rooms multiple times due to damp issues which haven't been sorted within 4years, I am a little bit peeved t spending money on paint for this house ever again.

If she decides not to give my deposit back, could I take her to court for compensation as I've been renting/paying for a 2bedroomed house and for the past 2years I haven't been able to use the second bedroom due to damp and I have given her ample time to fix this situation?

I'll give you a for instance, My next door neighbour works in the trade and knows my house has a damp issue due to an unblocked chimney and there being no damp course AND the roof up until last year needed replaced. I got an inspector out and he told me the exact same thing. She got someone out to inspect it and was told that it wasn't the house but was infact the way we were living in the house.
Well that puts a completely different light on matters than your first post suggested.
No fecking way would I be prepared to paint if the problem is caused by damp.
I hope you put it all in writing though and kept copies.
Old 02 March 2011, 12:17 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I thought i'd put some pics up of the room we cannot use to show you how bad it actually is and how patient I have been in this being rectified.

this is the unblocked chimney breast in the spare room.

this is the corner of the said room.

This room was repainted less than a year ago as, I was turning it into "my room" but within weeks, this started to happen. We now have just had to put something infront of it to hide it from view as cleaning it doesn't control the issue.

This is my bedroom, again repainted less than 8months ago.
Old 02 March 2011, 12:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So long as you can PROVE you've asked for it to be remedied, and she CAN'T prove that any repair of any scuffs etc are going to cost loads, you should be OK, just move out and tell her you want your deposit back or it's county court here we come.
Old 02 March 2011, 12:28 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
So long as you can PROVE you've asked for it to be remedied, and she CAN'T prove that any repair of any scuffs etc are going to cost loads, you should be OK, just move out and tell her you want your deposit back or it's county court here we come.
I can prove it alright, see the really bad picture there. The outside of that wall had no weather course on it and was just bare crumbling brick which is completely exposed. After being told that this was due to condensation caused by me, I brought her out the back and showed her the wall infront of a builder.
Old 02 March 2011, 01:14 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Send her a letter saying that you will only pay half the rent until these issues are fixed and see what happens.
Old 02 March 2011, 01:18 PM
Guv
Scooby Regular

Your deposit should be covered by the tenancy deposit scheme, where the landlord has to register the deposit with a government agency or the government directly..

In short your job is to return the house in same condition you got it in, I.E. clean and tidy wash the carpets and no broken furniture or windows, same locks and the furniture roughly and in the same place, You should have an inventory which she should of given you at the start of the tenancy stating the condition of property and its contents.

Anything structural is down to the landlord, including broken boilers, appliances (unless damaged by the tenant) damp (unless caused by the tenant), + he/she has to take into account fair wear and tear of you living there for the last four years.

She cannot keep your deposit unless she has an inventory to prove you have caused the damage and she will have to submit this to the relevent Tenancy deposit Scheme with evidence to prove the damage to be able to withhold a fair amount.

If she does not follow the above procdure she is breaking the law and can be reported for theft.

If she has not registered the deposit with a Tenancy Deposit Scheme (you should have been given a copy of the certificate) then again she has broken the law and you can withhold the rent until the deposit is registered and you can then to and exchange of withheld rent (minus your deposit) for the keys to the house for when you move out.

Best thing I would advise is to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau as they wil have all the info you need or look here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...cies/index.htm
Old 02 March 2011, 07:04 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I cannot beleive you have allowed it to go on for 2 years! you should have really had something done about it sooner as you have sort of accepted the situation by not having something done yourself.

I would seek legal advice if you want to try and get some compo from her...
Old 02 March 2011, 07:49 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Guv
Your deposit should be covered by the tenancy deposit scheme, where the landlord has to register the deposit with a government agency or the government directly..

In short your job is to return the house in same condition you got it in, I.E. clean and tidy wash the carpets and no broken furniture or windows, same locks and the furniture roughly and in the same place, You should have an inventory which she should of given you at the start of the tenancy stating the condition of property and its contents.

Anything structural is down to the landlord, including broken boilers, appliances (unless damaged by the tenant) damp (unless caused by the tenant), + he/she has to take into account fair wear and tear of you living there for the last four years.

She cannot keep your deposit unless she has an inventory to prove you have caused the damage and she will have to submit this to the relevent Tenancy deposit Scheme with evidence to prove the damage to be able to withhold a fair amount.

If she does not follow the above procdure she is breaking the law and can be reported for theft.

If she has not registered the deposit with a Tenancy Deposit Scheme (you should have been given a copy of the certificate) then again she has broken the law and you can withhold the rent until the deposit is registered and you can then to and exchange of withheld rent (minus your deposit) for the keys to the house for when you move out.

Best thing I would advise is to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau as they wil have all the info you need or look here : http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...cies/index.htm
yeah agree with this and what Paul and LPG are saying.

When I've rented in the past I had an issue with a leaky roof and a massive flood which stopped me using two rooms for ages, I informed the landlord I would only be paying an amount based on the sqaure footage of room I could actually still use in the flat.

Things like this need to be sorted quickly, there's no way I would have let that sort of situation go on for 2 years!!

AFAIK landlords should have some kind of license and be part of the deposit scheme as well, as Guv says. If the landlady ain't got these, you should be able to go to town on her, legally speaking.
Old 02 March 2011, 07:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

God thats **** man , im actually almost emotional you have to live like this

id certainly feel like chinning her if she didnt give it back , i know it wouldnt help but
Old 02 March 2011, 08:23 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

My old landlord was going to keep my £500 deposit becuase we changed the colour of the rooms. - We had painted it when her sister was the landlord and we had made the house a million times better. We kept the keys until she paid up. Biatch paid up !
Old 02 March 2011, 08:34 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
yeah agree with this and what Paul and LPG are saying.

When I've rented in the past I had an issue with a leaky roof and a massive flood which stopped me using two rooms for ages, I informed the landlord I would only be paying an amount based on the sqaure footage of room I could actually still use in the flat.

Things like this need to be sorted quickly, there's no way I would have let that sort of situation go on for 2 years!!

AFAIK landlords should have some kind of license and be part of the deposit scheme as well, as Guv says. If the landlady ain't got these, you should be able to go to town on her, legally speaking.

Nope.
Old 02 March 2011, 08:36 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
My old landlord was going to keep my £500 deposit becuase we changed the colour of the rooms. - We had painted it when her sister was the landlord and we had made the house a million times better. We kept the keys until she paid up. Biatch paid up !

Better in your opinion or hers?

You should return the property in the condition you received it, or did you gain permission to change the colours?
Old 02 March 2011, 08:36 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

This issue was supposed to be fixed last year but it didn't fix it and now they are telling me it can't be sorted until the weather improves. It has been a long running thing because I'm soft and unstood my landlady is no better paid than I am and asking her to fork out loads of cash at the blink of an eye is unacceptable.

After the text to my missus my understanding has worn out as yet again she is trying to blame the damp on us rather than the fact she bought a house that was poorly renovated on the cheap so it was all show and no go. I know this to be the case because numerous neighbours have informed me of the fact.
Old 02 March 2011, 08:39 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
Better in your opinion or hers?

You should return the property in the condition you received it, or did you gain permission to change the colours?
When her sister was the landlord she was more then happy for us to paint it and make it more modern. She was greatful that we got the plumbing fixed and other bits.. Her sister just didn't like paying out for anything and tried every reason to keep the deposit
Old 02 March 2011, 08:45 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
When her sister was the landlord she was more then happy for us to paint it and make it more modern. She was greatful that we got the plumbing fixed and other bits.. Her sister just didn't like paying out for anything and tried every reason to keep the deposit

That's a different story then. Best to get all of these things in writting though just in case.
Old 02 March 2011, 10:25 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
Nope.
ah yes, you're right, the license is only for larger places with more residents
Old 02 March 2011, 11:35 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Just a quick one, has she put your deposit in a DPS scheme and has she notified you of this happening?
Old 02 March 2011, 11:39 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Mate of mine used to **** his landlady simples

TX.
Old 02 March 2011, 11:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

God. Makes me think of the days when I had to live in rented properties. I always lost deposit for one reason or the other, then. Once Welsh landlord kept the deposit because he said that he found a drink stain under the living room carpet. Faur enough, but I don't remember anyone drinking anything in my living room, then. Another Scoucer landlady kept the deposit, because she just did. She gave no reason, but I couldn't be bothered asking, because she was very ancient and frail. Another landlord kept the deposit because my p!sshead of a boyfriend of that time apparently damaged the fireplace there. I could believe that, so I had to lose my deposit without any quibble.

Jamz3K, you will not see your deposit again, man.

Last edited by Turbohot; 03 March 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07 March 2011, 07:38 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Well I got the problem fixed, just rang up the Landlady and gave my months notice on the house. Felt really bad making the call as I've only given her one months notice after 5 years of living in the house but I'm just not prepared to deal with a damp house with little to no insulation anymore.

I'll really miss this house, everyone loves it as it is a real diamond apart from the obvious damp issue but i'm moving to a place thats easier to commute from so i'm going to sell the car and save a packet!.....maybe get my bike license
Old 07 March 2011, 07:44 PM
speye91
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Well I got the problem fixed, just rang up the Landlady and gave my months notice on the house. Felt really bad making the call as I've only given her one months notice after 5 years of living in the house but I'm just not prepared to deal with a damp house with little to no insulation anymore.

I'll really miss this house, everyone loves it as it is a real diamond apart from the obvious damp issue but i'm moving to a place thats easier to commute from so i'm going to sell the car and save a packet!.....maybe get my bike license

Good luck.
Old 07 March 2011, 08:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Another Scoucer landlady kept the deposit, because she just did. She gave no reason, but I couldn't be bothered asking, because she was very ancient and frail.

Jamz3K, you will not see your deposit again, man.
This is what happened to my mate. He left the property in better shape than when he went in, he even re-painted all the walls just before he vacated. Landlord just flatly refused to pay back the deposit for no reason.

Luckily he paid his last rent payment with a cheque, which wasn't much less than the deposit....so he cancelled it. Landlord was on the phone pretty quick, but of course my mate said just refund him whats left of the deposit and call it quits. Landlord didn't ring back.

I know its naughty but it might be an avenue to to explore if pushed into a corner.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 March 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07 March 2011, 08:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good for you Jamz

Quick Reply: How do I deal with my Landlady?