Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2011, 10:30 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Extension costs

Hi,

Had a builder in today, quoted me £19k for a single rear extension 4m x 5.5m

you think this price is reasonable? says it will take 4 weeks to complete..

he did the dorma at my brothers house and the job was great and he finished quick..though the cost was not as much as he said dorma's are easier then rear extensions..

the cost does not include the ceiling windows and garden patio door.
Old 01 March 2011, 10:39 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£1k to £1.5k per sq mtr would be ball park. If you're in London it seems cheap. Does it include VAT, is it fixed price or if the "4 weeks" becomes 12, who pays? I take it you've factored in structural calcs, building regs planning etc?

D
Old 01 March 2011, 10:48 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not bad money , same size in devon cost me £16k that was all in everything decorated and all but i paid for our own plumber and decorated myself and carpeted so builder knocked 1500quid off the bill . so i saved big time rads cost me 300quid fitted and carpet was 150, and just to add down here if its under 96cubic meters you dont need planning

Last edited by madscoob; 01 March 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02 March 2011, 12:34 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

I do this, amongst other things for a living. just been to tender on a single story ext to a home. got 5 prices in: from 16,250 to 19k. this included building a ramp, widening front door to 900 mm min opening and installing new door, moving an int kitchen wall and re-jigging all the units plus building a full ext, windows and doors etc.

the actual ext includes a full wet room and all plumbing/fixings, so there is a lot of gear in there alone, as oppose to an empty shell.

all for 16250. folk are short of work is the story and need the work.

all to be done in fixed period of 30 days.

I have however done all the architectural drawings, calcs, building and planning stuff etc etc.
Old 02 March 2011, 06:20 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Get a high quality conservatory, i just did....half he price!

Had a dwarf wall, with a solid wall on one side, under floor heating aditional heat proofing etc etc. Told the guys i wanted MAX heat so i can use it all year....so far working out great, looks better than a brick extension, all the space half the costs??..
Old 03 March 2011, 08:54 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

they tend to range price wise, from 16 to 25k max around where I work, funny enough a valued a ladys house yesterday that had a beautiful extension. how ever silly builder didn't move the man whole so it sits directly under her kitchen I would hate to see that over fill. I doubt that would pass building regs.

best to get a written qoute of everything and then you can tick list as you go along, research the company on the net about the feedback they receive from other clients. look on company house see how long they have been registered for ect.

good luck
Old 03 March 2011, 03:11 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I had a recent quote of 16k for a rear 4x3m single storey extension. That included a "pointy" roof (ie not flat) and the interior door. That didn't include the architects fees.

I'm still thinking about it, but the next step is to get an architect in, have a chat, get some detailed drawings, planning permission.............and then i will get some more detailed, written quotes so i know what is and isn't included.

One point, make sure you get a plumber to see if your boiler is strong enough to have an extra radiator fitted.
Old 03 March 2011, 04:14 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
they tend to range price wise, from 16 to 25k max around where I work, funny enough a valued a ladys house yesterday that had a beautiful extension. how ever silly builder didn't move the man whole so it sits directly under her kitchen I would hate to see that over fill. I doubt that would pass building regs.

best to get a written qoute of everything and then you can tick list as you go along, research the company on the net about the feedback they receive from other clients. look on company house see how long they have been registered for ect.

good luck
bolt down man hole cover £100, move manhole £2000, (although I moved mine I can see why people would not want to move it) Building regs don't have a problem with it.

I am right in the middle of quite a big extension on my little 3 bedroom semi make sure you don't fall out with your neighbours before you start, mine has just had a nervous breakdown today because we have been demolishing the rear of the building and she refuses to go out "just in case something happens" so listens to the banging all day then gets stressed and teary!

Having built this using specific builders for each section (one for groundworks, one for bricklaying, one for carpentry , one for roof etc etc I can see where you could make HUGE savings. by having bifold doors and skylights is adding £7k to build cost but I specifically want them, but I could easily not have skylights and not have bifolds and just go for a wickes £200 sliding door and save myself £££'s
Old 03 March 2011, 05:08 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
bolt down man hole cover £100, move manhole £2000, (although I moved mine I can see why people would not want to move it) Building regs don't have a problem with it.

I am right in the middle of quite a big extension on my little 3 bedroom semi make sure you don't fall out with your neighbours before you start, mine has just had a nervous breakdown today because we have been demolishing the rear of the building and she refuses to go out "just in case something happens" so listens to the banging all day then gets stressed and teary!

Having built this using specific builders for each section (one for groundworks, one for bricklaying, one for carpentry , one for roof etc etc I can see where you could make HUGE savings. by having bifold doors and skylights is adding £7k to build cost but I specifically want them, but I could easily not have skylights and not have bifolds and just go for a wickes £200 sliding door and save myself £££'s
How big is big, is it one room. Also 7k for skylights and bi-fold doors. I have seen some decent doors in b&q for around 1k, so thats 6k for skylights.
Maybe a daft question, but why do people put skylights in extensions, when they are rarely needed in normal house building?
Old 03 March 2011, 05:36 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
How big is big, is it one room. Also 7k for skylights and bi-fold doors. I have seen some decent doors in b&q for around 1k, so thats 6k for skylights.
Maybe a daft question, but why do people put skylights in extensions, when they are rarely needed in normal house building?
all single story:

internal size approx

3.6 deep x 7 metres wide on the back

4 x 8 on the side (with full sized pitched roof loft will be 2.1mt internal height for storage etc) and small flat roof extension on the back of the side extension about 2 x 3

about 60ish square metre?

people have skylights in extensions because they look nice and let in lots of natural light, cost of electric velux with an angled flat room mount is about 900 each including discount, bifold will cost anywhere between £3000 and £12000 depending on where you buy them/quality size. I looked at some yesterday that were £6500 per panel so for a 3 metre gap you would need about 3 = £20k!
Old 04 March 2011, 06:32 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Something about extensions/home improvements etc fascinates me, I'm a bit weird like that

I'd love to see some pics of the work as it unfolds if that's possible?
Old 04 March 2011, 07:30 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Ditto the pics.
Old 04 March 2011, 09:46 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

We have been quoted between 8K and 10K for a 5x2 ground floor extension. Really just a utility room and toilet. We've kept our old kitchen in the garage so will be using that.

Our issue is that we want to build close to the boundary line and can't get anyone in planning to commit without a proper application.
Old 04 March 2011, 09:59 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

its a great idea when i was doing my house a few months back i had the plasterer complaining about the electrician and the plumber complaining about the electrician it was like a school play ground lol so been well organised and staying on top of things cerinly helps. the plumber wanted a wire from the thermstat to the boiler the electrician said just geta wireless. but the gas safe plumber recons they not reliable. there was so much niggles that i had to get involved in so i guess theres pros and cons
Old 04 March 2011, 10:56 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

still lots to do....the dirt mountain was about a month ago the bottom photo was taken this week.

Name:  IMAG0850.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMAG1066-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  49.3 KB
Old 04 March 2011, 11:44 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

very nice getting there i take it the doors and windows will be reused for the extension and it you will knock it through to get more natual light?
Old 04 March 2011, 12:59 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

All current door and windows will be going to the tip. set of doors going in the new back section 2.1 x 5 metres and current crappy door window and cladding being knocked through (RSJ already in place you can just about see it in the photo)
Old 04 March 2011, 01:01 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

very nice good luck with it
Old 04 March 2011, 01:32 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
its a great idea when i was doing my house a few months back i had the plasterer complaining about the electrician and the plumber complaining about the electrician it was like a school play ground lol so been well organised and staying on top of things cerinly helps. the plumber wanted a wire from the thermstat to the boiler the electrician said just geta wireless. but the gas safe plumber recons they not reliable. there was so much niggles that i had to get involved in so i guess theres pros and cons
I've got remote/wireless c.h/thermostat.

its brilliant.

its great being able to take it to bed and control as you want. (I have a hse with 3 flights of stairs btw!)

we leave it in my babies room on a night to ensure her bedroom is at perfect temp. can't begin to tell you how useful that has been over these bad winters.
Old 04 March 2011, 03:58 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austinwrx
I've got remote/wireless c.h/thermostat.

its brilliant.

its great being able to take it to bed and control as you want. (I have a hse with 3 flights of stairs btw!)

we leave it in my babies room on a night to ensure her bedroom is at perfect temp. can't begin to tell you how useful that has been over these bad winters.

it is pretty good as it the one i opted for (drayton sf1)
Old 04 March 2011, 04:01 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

still lots to do....the dirt mountain was about a month ago the bottom photo was taken this week.

Have you got planning permission for that dirt mountain.....................!!!!!

Regarding the new extention, have you thought about how it will affect the existing rooms in the house. The room which backs onto the existing patio doors will be darker once the extension is finished. Did you discuss that with your architect.
Old 04 March 2011, 10:22 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pics SS, keep them updated Have you left a side access?

I don't get SamUK though, he did this last time when he asked for advice regarding drawings/plans for the same extension ie ask a question and then never visit the thread again

Last edited by Dingdongler; 04 March 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05 March 2011, 08:09 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I just quoted for a 3.5x1.5 extension, for a downstairs toilet/utility room on the side of the house, fully fitted and decorated came to £12k without building regs/plans. Things add up and every job is different, this one needed 8m of drainwork and a new doorway though hallway wall etc

The smaller they are the cost per m2 goes up
Old 06 March 2011, 08:59 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
I just quoted for a 3.5x1.5 extension, for a downstairs toilet/utility room on the side of the house, fully fitted and decorated came to £12k without building regs/plans. Things add up and every job is different, this one needed 8m of drainwork and a new doorway though hallway wall etc

Jay, what do you mean without building regs?
Old 06 March 2011, 09:19 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay m A

the last one of this size i did was £7,000 with regs , and fully finished.
Old 06 March 2011, 09:29 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SamUK
Hi,

Had a builder in today, quoted me £19k for a single rear extension 4m x 5.5m

you think this price is reasonable? says it will take 4 weeks to complete..

he did the dorma at my brothers house and the job was great and he finished quick..though the cost was not as much as he said dorma's are easier then rear extensions..

the cost does not include the ceiling windows and garden patio door.
i charge around £20,000 for a dorma (full loft conversion) £19k is ok (ish) for the price of your extension, tell the builder the jobs his if he includes the velex and doors
Old 06 March 2011, 01:46 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Jay, what do you mean without building regs?
I think he means without the cost of preparing plans for planning/building regs submission ( architects fees )
Old 06 March 2011, 03:47 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Have you got planning permission for that dirt mountain.....................!!!!!

Regarding the new extention, have you thought about how it will affect the existing rooms in the house. The room which backs onto the existing patio doors will be darker once the extension is finished. Did you discuss that with your architect.
about 12 square metres of glass with a south facing garden should keep things light!

decided against keeping side access but if I do need it in the future I only need to buy a 50cm x 50cm piece from my neighbour to give me 1 metre path all the way round the outside. Lots of people said "you don't want to lose side access" but when i asked them for what reason no one could really tell me? I am having turf/fence/patio done over the next month or so and I have a direct straight run through my garage/utility room if I need to carry anything through but don't really know what that would be.....
Old 08 March 2011, 10:14 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

On the second photo, the large opening facing the garden, what is going in there. All windows, patio doors, or a mixture.
Old 08 March 2011, 10:23 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Quick Reply: Rear Extension costs