Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

JC in Jaguar on Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2011, 09:04 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JC in Jaguar on Top Gear

How does he get away with putting rubber down on a public road on prime time tv?

Nik.
Old 28 February 2011, 09:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Closed road?
Old 28 February 2011, 09:13 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I thought the same. It was presented as if he was driving on a public road, but they must have filmed bits like the power slide on the roundabout on a private road otherwise he would be racking up the points. They'll claim artistic licence.
Old 28 February 2011, 09:17 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Fast forwarded all the fat jag bit
Old 28 February 2011, 09:21 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

How does he get away with drinking a can while driving on british roads?? I'm sure a copper would av you for that
Old 28 February 2011, 09:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It's TV, not real
Old 28 February 2011, 09:55 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I switched over at the start of the sun chasing thing from Lands End. I was expecting the usual pointless contrived rubbish, confirmed my suspicions, changed channels again after a total of 2 minutes.

Trending Topics

Old 28 February 2011, 10:08 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I switched over at the start of the sun chasing thing from Lands End. I was expecting the usual pointless contrived rubbish, confirmed my suspicions, changed channels again after a total of 2 minutes.
but the car was nice
Old 28 February 2011, 10:11 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulC72
but the car was nice
It was the XF wasn't it? Not the XK?

I know we all have different views but every jag looks completely old man cack unless its the XK (and im an old (ish)man!) and this comes from someone who thinks Skodas look great!

Take it back if it was the XK
Old 28 February 2011, 10:23 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I thought it was the new XJ?
Old 28 February 2011, 10:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

XJ

Cracking car, very nice inside compared to the alternative German drab. Just the outside is f'ugly and its auto only.

(Plus despite all the aluminium, its still heavier than an XJ12 )
Old 28 February 2011, 11:09 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Find the video of the XJ lapping the 'Ring.

Fantastic bit of driving - the wheelman has unreal talent.
Old 28 February 2011, 11:18 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

I actually really liked that car and would have one in a heartbeat if i could afford the 60k pricetag.
That run from Lands End to Lowestoft was done ages ago by a group on pistonheads in 3 different cars and apparently they put the idea to top gear.Makes interesting reading on PH though if you get a moment http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...rise+Challenge
Old 28 February 2011, 11:57 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

LWB XJ on the 'Ring.

Masterful driving and seriously quick!

Ring in a Jag
Old 01 March 2011, 11:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I imagine that all the tyre smoking moments which are apparently being done by Clarkson are actually being done by the Stig.

Les
Old 01 March 2011, 01:26 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I had a go in the xj and with the flappy paddles, it is great fun to drive. I loved it and think it puts the german equivalents to shame. The auto distance control cruise control is a laugh as well, it feels really odd waiting for it to stop if the car in front pulls up at traffic lights.
Old 01 March 2011, 03:07 PM
DannyM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I imagine that all the tyre smoking moments which are apparently being done by Clarkson are actually being done by the Stig.

Les
for all his "just a fat bloke with a dickie hip" chatter he's meant to be quite handy behind the wheel
Old 01 March 2011, 04:00 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

What gets me is that he's following a camera car and going on about how 'The Jag' has done it. Surely so has the Toyota or whatever it was you were following as well so hardly a moment of glory.

The way it was done just showed up the failings with the show at the moment, he could have just done a really good review on that without all the sillyness about having to beat the sun.

5t.
Old 01 March 2011, 04:14 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
What gets me is that he's following a camera car and going on about how 'The Jag' has done it. Surely so has the Toyota or whatever it was you were following as well so hardly a moment of glory.

The way it was done just showed up the failings with the show at the moment, he could have just done a really good review on that without all the sillyness about having to beat the sun.

5t.
Crikey I can't believe you don't get this. If he did an in depth review on the car half the audience would turn it off. As it all us petrolheads watch it anyway and so do a whole raft of people who would not if it was a serious car programme. The races they do are always contrived and predictably a close finish, but really who cares? It's not TV for the intellectuals, just a fun alternative to ITV's Wild at Heart on a Sunday night.
Old 01 March 2011, 04:21 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Crikey I can't believe you don't get this. If he did an in depth review on the car half the audience would turn it off. As it all us petrolheads watch it anyway and so do a whole raft of people who would not if it was a serious car programme. The races they do are always contrived and predictably a close finish, but really who cares? It's not TV for the intellectuals, just a fun alternative to ITV's Wild at Heart on a Sunday night.

5th Gear do 'proper' car reviews, and their viewing figures are nothing compared to Top Gear.
Old 01 March 2011, 04:21 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

You don't think that it is getting far too predictable?

Entertainment yes but the contrived format is starting to wear thin and even the stunt things are looking shakey, I mean what was the point in spending all that cash to send a harvester to Norway?

No wonder they can only make a few at t atime and even then they are stretching it. I just think they need a refresh and when they actually get a nice car on that isn't a 911 version 3.275 with the slightly different cup holders to all the other ones I wouldn't mind knowing about it!

5t.
Old 01 March 2011, 04:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You don't think that it is getting far too predictable?

Entertainment yes but the contrived format is starting to wear thin and even the stunt things are looking shakey, I mean what was the point in spending all that cash to send a harvester to Norway?

No wonder they can only make a few at t atime and even then they are stretching it. I just think they need a refresh and when they actually get a nice car on that isn't a 911 version 3.275 with the slightly different cup holders to all the other ones I wouldn't mind knowing about it!

5t.
Hey I agree with you, but it ain't ever going to happen as the show is not aimed at car enthusiasts like us any longer. It is light entertainment and that is why the slightly predictable and contrived cocking about will continue.

I do watch it when I remember it's on as oocasionally they have an interesting feature (like the Senna piece last year), but mainly because it is still way better than the other tosh on TV and if you accept it for what it is it makes you laugh every now and then.
Old 01 March 2011, 04:43 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

In that case - crikey I do get it

Just an observation on the show. Used to be must watch TV for me but I'm not that fussed anymore, this last series has been a fair disappointment.

Given what a cash cow it is for the Beeb with supermarkets full of Stig branded tat etc it just springs to mind that they need to change it before too many people cotton on and they lose that edge.

5t.
Old 01 March 2011, 04:46 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

In that case - crikey I do get it

Just an observation on the show. Used to be must watch TV for me but I'm not that fussed anymore, this last series has been a fair disappointment.

Given what a cash cow it is for the Beeb with supermarkets full of Stig branded tat etc it just springs to mind that they need to change it before too many people cotton on and they lose that edge.

5t.
That would require effort, I think it will just die a slow death. The Stig thing is a good point. After the whole Ben Collins debacle they should have done away with the Stig and come up with something different, but they didn't. There is no will to change the format not even one iota. As long as it remains a huge export why bother I guess?
Old 01 March 2011, 04:55 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I couldn't have cared less about the race bit, but really enjoyed seeing the car being driven and all the info conveyed. It was a review like TG used to do 4-5 years ago, decent car, good roads, pretty scenery, well filmed, with some wit and banter from JC. If May and Hammond had been there in some competing cars it could have been good too. I suppose it would have been a Merc and a Beemer though, so too predictable.
Old 01 March 2011, 05:21 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I think it will just die a slow death.
Sadly I suspect that is already happening. The fact it is a massive export is the reason to change it around a bit. As corradoboy says, 5 years ago the show was much much better.

Suspect that, being the Beeb, no one will realise until its too late.

5t.
Old 01 March 2011, 07:17 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1

I know we all have different views but every jag looks completely old man cack unless its the XK (and im an old (ish)man!) and this comes from someone who thinks Skodas look great!

Not sure although it did look like the XF to me too lol...I like Jags as we have an s-type which is fun especailly at the rear lol.

Skodas do look great (had a few...Skodas not beers lol)
Old 01 March 2011, 07:23 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I thought it was the new XJ?
Originally Posted by ALi-B
XJ
XJ

Rear lights....

Old 03 March 2011, 12:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyM
for all his "just a fat bloke with a dickie hip" chatter he's meant to be quite handy behind the wheel
He has admitted himself that he isn't.

Les
Old 03 March 2011, 05:53 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

It's obvious his foot slipped

Quick Reply: JC in Jaguar on Top Gear