Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Young women drivers facing a £1,000 rise in car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2011, 09:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Young women drivers facing a £1,000 rise in car insurance

This is great news, it is about time sexual discrimination was banned in the car insurance market.

Next up I hope they ban the ageism. I'm sure pslewis will be watching this closely.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...insurance.html

Young women drivers facing a £1,000 rise in car insurance

Young women face paying an extra £1,000 a year for car insurance following a European Court of Justice decision next month, insurers are warning.

By David Williams 9:00AM GMT 13 Feb 2011 26 Comments

The court is expected to rule that calculating car insurance based on gender is unlawful.

Young women will be hit hardest by the ruling – they currently get cheaper deals than men of the same age, because they are considered a 'safer risk'.

Typically, a woman aged 17-22 currently pays just £1,682 a year in motor insurance, compared to a young man who pays an average £2,750.

Figures show that young men are twice as likely to make a car insurance claim and 10 times more likely to be in a crash involving serious injury than young women.

Young men are also 25 times more likely to commit a traffic offence within their first three years of driving.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 13 February 2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:33 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Well obviously they're less likely to have an accident if all they use the car is for dropping off the kids to work and the odd trip to Asda!

Old 13 February 2011, 09:37 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think insurance is just a blatant rip off full stop..

Another organisation hyping up the rip off Britain and we can get away with it..
Old 13 February 2011, 09:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Car insurers do not generally make anything out of car insurance as far as I am aware.

Be careful for what you wish for, doing this to young ladies, who are statistically proven time and again to be a lower risk of their male peers means that they can ramp up prices on other factors so as to not discriminate, age next perhaps so we all end up paying the lowest common denominator premium, that of a 17 year old male.

Girls have a 1/12 chance of writing off a car in the first year, males 1/4, by far the biggest killer of 17/24 yr old males is Road Traffic Accidents.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:46 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

There is a very good reason why more lads claim that young girls

-Young lad has accident, young lads Dad tells young lad to slap it up him and sort it.

-Young lady has accident, young lady cries. Young ladies Dad pays for the repairs out of his own pocket and doesn't inform the insurance companies.

The amount of times I've known of this happen is unreal.

Young girls are shit drivers imo, they don't care about their brand new clio/corsa either which makes them even worse drivers.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:49 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Car insurers do not generally make anything out of car insurance as far as I am aware.

Be careful for what you wish for, doing this to young ladies, who are statistically proven time and again to be a lower risk of their male peers means that they can ramp up prices on other factors so as to not discriminate, age next perhaps so we all end up paying the lowest common denominator premium, that of a 17 year old male.

Girls have a 1/12 chance of writing off a car in the first year, males 1/4, by far the biggest killer of 17/24 yr old males is Road Traffic Accidents.
But don't you see it's a generalisation, it's the whole reason why we don't allows sexual/gender discrimination in other walks of life?

Why should I pay more just because I have a dick?

You can't gender discriminate in the workplace (one market) anymore, so why in this market?

If an employer said he didn't want to employ a women because she was more likely to want leave to have a baby or was more likely to take sick leave for urinary tract infection it would not be legal.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I hope you're taking the Mick here? If you're being serious then you're very deluded. This is the same argument as that being used to positively discriminate against women, gays, whoever. Basically, the best person should get the job, full stop, or in this case, insurance quotes should be given on their merits. Here the figures show that women, and yes I don't know how either , are a better risk than men hence they get cheaper insurance. To "legislate" against this distorts the market and will negatively impact everybody.

The sooner all this PC/equality nonsense is consigned to the dustbin of history the better!

Dave
If you are using statistic risk then it is nothing to do with the individuals merit per se.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
There is a very good reason why more lads claim that young girls

-Young lad has accident, young lads Dad tells young lad to slap it up him and sort it.

-Young lady has accident, young lady cries. Young ladies Dad pays for the repairs out of his own pocket and doesn't inform the insurance companies.

The amount of times I've known of this happen is unreal.

Young girls are shit drivers imo, they don't care about their brand new clio/corsa either which makes them even worse drivers.
From my experience as I worked with a lot of younger lads last year this was the comparison I made...

Young lads pass test and hoon it everywhere. The speed and inexperience causes their crashes with a desire to show off to mates.

Young lasses pass test and have no idea how to drive or be responsible. They're too busy texting, doing hair or being otherwise distracted from driving and cause accidents by this.

Kinda both worse, but I'd want lasses to have it drummed into them more. As said from my experiences... Both as bad as each other, just 'cos lads are statistically in more crashes doesn't mean the young lasses aren't causing them but not being involved themselves (if that makes sense).

Should both pay the same IMHO.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:53 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
How about blacks, gays, Jews?

Let's have more discrimination and risk determination based on whatever 'category' you are in!
Old 13 February 2011, 09:54 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Man, woman or monkey... The better the driver, the lower the risk = lower insurance.

It's not rocket science that it shouldn't be gender based.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:55 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Insurers pay out £123 for each £100 they take.

What with petrol prices and insurance sky rocketing maybe more of the great unwashed will be priced off our roads

I shall continue to waft along in my 8 mpg V8 with tyres made out of dolphin skins

Old 13 February 2011, 09:55 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983

It's not rocket science that it shouldn't be gender based.
Exactly my thinking, it should be race/colour based!
Old 13 February 2011, 09:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
But don't you see it's a generalisation, it's the whole reason why we don't allows sexual/gender discrimination in other walks of life?

Why should I pay more just because I have a dick?

You can't gender discriminate in the workplace (one market) anymore, so why in this market?

If an employer said he didn't want to employ a women because she was more likely to want leave to have a baby or was more likely to take sick leave for urinary tract infection it would not be legal.
There is a blow for equality, your missus gets to pay as much as you, oh great, another bigger bill, I can honestly see your point and it does irk me but to be honest I could do without my wife's premium being hiked as they wont average it aacross the genders they will just make everybody pay the higher rate.

Its a bit like when women demanded equality in the world of work and the government said, ok, you can retire at 65 like the men, and all the women went "bollocks, didnt expect or see that coming, we meant on money and for promotions, not anything bad like having to work another 5 years"

Wonder where it leaves "Sheilas Wheels" ?

Last edited by J4CKO; 13 February 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:57 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Exactly my thinking, it should be race/colour based!
Ha bloomin' ha!! Lol.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:58 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Well my sis was quoted over £200.00 more for her car this year with current insurer.Has been driving 16 years and never made a claim.drives a mitsubishi colt to work and around town..Basically told them to **** off,insurance person said well it's because of the postcode area it's gone up high risk area..Now my sis does not live in a high crime or car theft area,so it's total b0ll0cks what they said..

you just know when you've been tango'd
Old 13 February 2011, 09:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do

What with petrol prices and insurance sky rocketing maybe more of the great unwashed will be priced off our roads

I shall continue to be driven along by my black one legged muslim lesbian driver in my 8 mpg V8 with tyres made out of dolphin skins

EFA
Old 13 February 2011, 10:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Let's have more discrimination and risk determination based on whatever 'category' you are in!
I knew you'd get this thread turned to your favourite subjects as soon as you could manage it!!!
Old 13 February 2011, 10:03 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I knew you'd get this thread turned to your favourite subjects as soon as you could manage it!!!
He's got a point, the chances of me blowing up an airport with my full comp car are very slim.
Old 13 February 2011, 10:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

It's not based on sexism, it's based on a statistical risk and all this decision is doing is raising further the cost of insurance. Once again we have Europe to thank for sticking its nose into something it knows nothing about amd making things worse!
Old 13 February 2011, 10:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

He's got a point, the chances of me blowing up an airport with my full comp car is very slim.
As are the chances of anyone doing the same!
Old 13 February 2011, 10:07 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

As are the chances of anyone doing the same!
Now i'm not one to point fingers

Old 13 February 2011, 10:08 PM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

Boo to that. Adding my missus on my own insurance policy reduces it by hundreds a year.
Old 13 February 2011, 10:11 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Now i'm not one to point fingers

Old 13 February 2011, 10:12 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by what would scooby do

I shall continue to be driven along by my black one legged muslim lesbian driver in my 8 mpg V8 with tyres made out of dolphin skins

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
EFA
Sorry I don't employ muslim drivers, they seem to drive only one direction 6 times a fay..
Old 13 February 2011, 10:12 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Old 13 February 2011, 10:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

They do that via the postcode to kind of mask it.

It all comes down to money doesnt it, say you have to place a grand of you own money on either a young lad making a years claim free driving or a girl of the same age, if they make it you double your money, if not you lose your stake, that is all insurance is, gambling. When you go 50/50 on Red or Black on a Roulette table you dont bet on red if there are a quarter as many red slots unless the potential win is higher.

There are differences between the sexes, no amount of legislation is going to make 17 year old Testosterone addled show of lads stop being total disaster areas when given a tonne and a bit of metal to pilot, ok, girls arent much better but statistics do show that even taking into accoutn keeping up to date with Heat magazine, jabbering on a phone and texting they still manage to be less of a liability than those with a *****.
Old 13 February 2011, 10:33 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's not based on sexism, it's based on a statistical risk and all this decision is doing is raising further the cost of insurance. Once again we have Europe to thank for sticking its nose into something it knows nothing about amd making things worse!
Sure, discrimination by sex and it's NOT sexism?

What do you think sexism is exactly but prejudice based on sex!?
Old 13 February 2011, 10:35 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

He's got a point, the chances of me blowing up an airport with my full comp car are very slim.
Yeah I wonder what coverage the one that rammed Glasgow airport had?
Old 13 February 2011, 10:38 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Sure, discrimination by sex and it's NOT sexism?

What do you think sexism is exactly but prejudice based on sex!?
As I clearly said it's based on statistical risk and statistically young female drivers are far less likely to have an accident than young male drivers. It would only be sexist if the accident statistics were the same and yet the insurance companies still charged less for young women. The latter is sexism the former is not.

Or to put it another way do you think a stunt man should pay the same for life insurance as an accountant? It's the same thing!

Quick Reply: Young women drivers facing a £1,000 rise in car insurance