Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BT "Infinity", my experineces....

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2011, 11:22 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BT "Infinity", my experineces....

Went from Sky which I was really happy with, up to 8mb for a tenner a month, saw the shiny new BT FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) Infinity and saw the opportunity to get a good increase in speed, so my enthusiasm got the better of me and it eventually, aftr much p1ssing about and a failed attempt got installed and it was ok, was faster for downloads but browsing it didnt make much difference, could be sat in front of the Scoobynet Server and it would still be a bit slow (though it is better than last year).

I went for the Option 1, which was the £17.99 a month, 40 GB download limit, now I dont download much, if anything, no films or anythign like that, so its Xbox live, my VPN to work and browsing, so was surprised when our monthly usage was 170 gb.

I only discovered the issue with the download allowance when I rang to complain about the performance, was dropping to less than 1 mb/sec ! apparently I had been throttled and the Indian chap was telling me it is because we have lots of computers and had gone over 40mb, so confused I suggested he meant 40 GB, but he kept on I had gone over 40 mb, hence frustration dealing with a helpful but ultimately confusing call centre, he did indeed mean 40 gb.

So rang the billing people to see what had happened and checked my usage online and realised they were billing me £5 per 5 GB as I had gone over, now I knew they throttled you (financially, quite litterally it seems) but they had charged an extra £50 for the last three months, now it serves me right for not reading the small print but I was under the impression that for £17.99 I was getting a certain ammount and then they throttled it, nobody mentioned the exhobitant charges when I was discussing it on the phone and I thought that pay as you go internet went years ago.

So, have had to upgrade to the next package, another tenner as am stuck into the contract for the next 14 months, they waived one months excess charges so its cost me ninety quid, expensive lesson to read small print and not trust BT, "Infinity" my ****, seems very Finite to me.

So, will see if the speeds improve, it is now a 300 GB "Unlimited" download limit, after which they throttle you but dont spank you for £5 pre 5 gb.

Going to set the speed tester to run on a scheduled basis and retain the results and if it isnt up to scratch going to be on them like a rash.
Old 11 February 2011, 11:31 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You used 170gb in a month?!! How on earth did you manage that?

You *must* be downloading movies etc.. (or your children are on their computers).

I thought it was a requirement to send you emails when you were close to exceeding your limit?

Steve
Old 11 February 2011, 11:37 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can check your online usage online http://www.bt.com/ I check mine like a hawk now as apparently I went over my limit by 15 gig 2 months in a row. I got suspicious after they told me I used a whopping 55 gb in December despite the fact I was on my holidays for 2 weeks and the router was switched off.
Unfortunately you cannot see your previous months usage online but so far I am tracking my usage and have 22 gb to use up before I go over my limit and that includes downloading a 7gb game off steam .
Old 11 February 2011, 11:42 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Wouldent touch BT with a barge pole TBH.
Old 11 February 2011, 12:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, still bemused about the usage, going to question the kids and see what they are upto, we already have loads of films, the other option is that someone is leaching bandwith, I did see a machine I didnt recognise but it may have been one of the kids mates bringing a laptop round and all the wireless is WPA-PSK, none of the neighbours are that tech savvy or devious to nick bandwidth, other option is the homeplugs but I dont think there is anyone close enough to connect, not anyone that techie anyway.

Going to tie the router down to mac adresses and log what is being downloaded, can get some heavy duty network stuff from work to see whats going on !
Old 11 February 2011, 01:20 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Just for anyone else reading this thread, you don't have to have BT. Like with normal broadband, you have a choice of ISPs using the BT Backbone.

I have nothing but good things to say about: http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadb...broadband.aspx

(I haven't used them for FTTC but will when my exchange is enabled, I used them for 'normal' Broadband)
Old 11 February 2011, 01:24 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jacko, why not log onto your router and check out the stats.

I was suprised how much my VPN connection downloaded during a day working from home

Router IP address is usually 192.168.0.1
Old 11 February 2011, 01:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If it's anything like my homehub he will have to reset it at least two or three times a month and that resets all the stats.
Old 11 February 2011, 01:42 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
If it's anything like my homehub he will have to reset it at least two or three times a month and that resets all the stats.
Agreed, doing a 'hard' reset is the definitive way of clearing the stats and getting a true data sent/received log.
Old 11 February 2011, 01:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
Jacko, why not log onto your router and check out the stats.

I was suprised how much my VPN connection downloaded during a day working from home

Router IP address is usually 192.168.0.1
Will do but thought we were never going to get near it, funnily enough checking router stats is not at the top of my evening/weekend fun things to do, up there with pairing socks, clipping the crusty bits off the dogs underside and watching Lark Rise to Candleford with the missus. Its kind of a day job sort of task but will take a look tonight and bollock the main offenders.
Old 11 February 2011, 02:23 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Hmmm. My Infinity's getting installed next week. Hopefully all will be OK, especially as I'll be about one of 3 or 4 people using it from my exchange! Going to be using my Draytek router with the Infinity modem rather than the Home Hub, though I'll set that up and keep it in the cupboard 'just in case'. Fingers crossed .....

Dave

Infinity is in Cornwall?
Old 11 February 2011, 03:34 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Oh yes! See here ... http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/su...ns-231110.html ... this was the story in the West Briton last Autumn. Notice it mentions the towns rather than exchanges. 'Chiverton Cross' actually means the Three Waters exchange which is nearby and where my line comes from.

They haven't enabled any Truro exchanges yet though ..... very strange decision!

Dave
Strange, par which is a mile down the road gets infinity, we get lumped with the st awefull exchange unfortunately.
Old 11 February 2011, 06:21 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

170GB a month -- that is crazy

must be something wrong, you haven't noticed any suspicious CAT5e cables running along your back garden!!!!!
Old 11 February 2011, 11:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
170GB a month -- that is crazy

must be something wrong, you haven't noticed any suspicious CAT5e cables running along your back garden!!!!!
Funnily enough, there was a cat 5 buried with the armoured cable to the manhut at the other ned of the garden but it never worked, used wireless for a bit but it wasa bit hit and miss and now on homeplugs that work really well, so yes but its just me in the shed/data centre.
Old 12 February 2011, 05:55 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

170gb - your **** collection must be huge
Old 12 February 2011, 08:46 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Tiscali kicked me off for 40-60GB a month lol....

They reckoned it was over excessive

Mart
Old 12 February 2011, 08:25 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

well I think you are all very lucky. We pay £25 per month for 1/2 MB...... yes half a meg . Live in the sticks so our only option is via a stand alone satellite dish
Old 13 February 2011, 04:17 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

see this is what makes me laugh, they are covering all the tiny villages around redruth, without touching redruth itself, which to me is pointless.

Was really hoping the scheme they were on about would have covered it, clearly it does not

Unlucky! You sure though? Go check at ... http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search ...

Or just stick your number in here and I "presume" that "if" your line can get Infinity then you'll get results .... http://www.productsandservices.bt.co..._FURL_infinity ... It brings up ADSL and VDSL if you can get them.

Dave
Old 13 February 2011, 06:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Something wierd going on here....

BB Usage was 77GB from the start of Feb, so nearly 6 gb a day.

So, restarted the router yesterday and its been in normal weekend usage, kids taking shifts of Xbox live, surfing, Youtube etc.

So, based on the usage reported, in pretty much 24 hours I would have expected another 6 gb, the usage meter on BT's site has gone up from us being 37 GB over our 40 gb limit to 55 GB since when I rang then Thursday, so consistent with the few gb a day.

Router in 24 hours has logged 174 MB !

I reckon something is wrong their end and it is registering a problem with the network and its showing up as data I have downloaded.

Internet connection configuration
Connection Information
Connection time 1 days, 00:29:22
Data Transmitted/Received (MB) 177.4 / 59.1
Broadband username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password Not configured
Old 13 February 2011, 06:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Seems I am not the only one !

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Hom.../117773/page/2

Getting really F*CKED off with this, they are basically defrauding me out of £90 and limiting my service.

Also have been brobeated into ttaking their upgrade due to my "high" usage which I suspect is nowhere near what they are saying.
Old 13 February 2011, 07:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

And here

http://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Cal...arge/m-p/68353

110213-004792

Last edited by J4CKO; 13 February 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 13 February 2011, 07:40 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I rang up querying my recent internet usage and quoted this months broadband usage so far this month to try and back up my claim that I am not using 55gb a month, and they turned around and told me the broadband online meter is not accurate and to be used only as a guide What's the ferking point of having it in.
Old 13 February 2011, 07:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I rang up querying my recent internet usage and quoted this months broadband usage so far this month to try and back up my claim that I am not using 55gb a month, and they turned around and told me the broadband online meter is not accurate and to be used only as a guide What's the ferking point of having it in.
So they can defraud you of some money !

Seriously, they are getting reported to Ofcom for this, doesnt add up, no way have we downloaded what they are saying, we only have their word for it so assume its all above board, wouldnt put it past them....

And anther 14 page thread on the issue.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Hom...-p/4454/page/8
Old 13 February 2011, 08:13 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
So they can defraud you of some money !

Seriously, they are getting reported to Ofcom for this, doesnt add up, no way have we downloaded what they are saying, we only have their word for it so assume its all above board, wouldnt put it past them....

And anther 14 page thread on the issue.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Hom...-p/4454/page/8
Those links seem to take me to the bt home page. Just checked my usage and i seemed to have used 12 gb in 2 days, must be my son using the cbeebies website
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	btrip off.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	5051  
Old 13 February 2011, 08:35 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Something wierd going on here....

BB Usage was 77GB from the start of Feb, so nearly 6 gb a day.

So, restarted the router yesterday and its been in normal weekend usage, kids taking shifts of Xbox live, surfing, Youtube etc.

So, based on the usage reported, in pretty much 24 hours I would have expected another 6 gb, the usage meter on BT's site has gone up from us being 37 GB over our 40 gb limit to 55 GB since when I rang then Thursday, so consistent with the few gb a day.

Router in 24 hours has logged 174 MB !

I reckon something is wrong their end and it is registering a problem with the network and its showing up as data I have downloaded.

Internet connection configuration
Connection Information
Connection time 1 days, 00:29:22
Data Transmitted/Received (MB) 177.4 / 59.1
Broadband username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password Not configured
all this reminds me of the early days of ISDN and Windows networking

when the router was not configured to drop port 146/7 it would bring the ISDN up all the time

BT made a fortune, as every few secounds the line would come up for at least 2 mins a time, a friend I knew (who had a business) got a 2k bill

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 13 February 2011 at 08:37 PM.