Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any building inspectors on here/know about building regs?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 09:46 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any building inspectors on here/know about building regs?

I'm planning on converting my existing garage to another living room in the house. The garage is attached to the side of the house and has previously been part converted by previous owners (leaving the front part of the garage original with the garage door still in place so can be used for storage).

Now, I’m planning on pulling the partition stud wall down to open it back up to the original full size then replace the garage door at the front of the house with a wall/window etc.

My Dad is going to be doing the work for me, I’ll assist where I can He is not a “professional” builder but is more than capable of doing the work (built his own extension before amongst other things).

I have spoken with my local planning office who have given me an application for building regulations....... Now, I can either do a "Full Plan" application or a "Building Notice".

I’m not quite sure what the difference is. From what I can gather, if I go the full plan route I have to submit scale drawings and list what we will do to meet the regs? The planning officer then goes through everything and if all is ok then issues an approval notice so we can start work.

If I’m correct, a Building Notice basically means the council doesn’t provide an approval notice so we could just crack on with the work but if we do something that isn’t correct we might have to make changes after an inspection, if the officer/inspector doesn’t like something? Plus with the Building Notice we only have to provide basic drawings?

Sorry for the rather long post but I’m not sure what the better option here is really/what the benefits are between the two. I’m going to check with the council again but haven’t been able to get hold of the guy as yet so thought I would ask on here, should anyone know or indeed carried out similar work and which route you may have gone?

Thanks for any advice

Last edited by stiscooby; 10 February 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 10:54 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Full plans app is exactly that, you get the spec agreed prior to commencing, they'll then inspect against the approved in advance plans. If you go under building notice the building inspector will nod things as you progress but it'll be subject to the plans being approved later, so you run the risk of having to undertake corrective work later.
Full plans is less risky, but a garage conversion is hardly a high risk project, but given your Dad won't be update date with insulation calcs etc, get a full plans app done.

(I've just spent 2 years post build completion getting building regs approval! My extension was done under a building notice when full plans app would have more suitable, council's engineers wanted £15k of rectifiction work due to dispute on the structural calcs, lesson learnt!)

D

Last edited by Dunk; 10 February 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 11:03 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Home extension Bible is worth a browse.
Old 10 February 2011, 11:45 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just stick a Full Plans application in for building regs.... Job done
Old 10 February 2011, 11:47 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

Full plans ott for a garage conversion.
Old 10 February 2011, 11:59 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stoneface
Full plans ott for a garage conversion.
Not if you are converting it to living space as all work done is approved and inspected and you get a completion cert when finished. No problems when you come to sell your house either.
Old 11 February 2011, 01:45 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

The only issue I have with doing full plans is I don't know exactly what they need to show/details required.

I guess I would have to fork out for an architect to draw up the plans rather than attempt them myself?
Old 11 February 2011, 01:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

speak to your local building control and ask them to confirm in writing which you need, depending on where you are will depend on what it is, they can advise what you need to do and the writen part means your *** is covered
Old 11 February 2011, 10:30 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I think I will get hold of them again and see, if I go the Building Notice route, if the inspector will come round before we start work to run through a few things.

I asked if foundations will be required for the wall/window which will go up in place of the garage door but they said "well depends whats there at the moment, if concrete (which it is), is it deep enough etc"......... well I don't know mate, you the F'n inspector!! So would be handy if someone comes round first I think to tell us what has to be done.

Originally Posted by pacenote
Not if you are converting it to living space as all work done is approved and inspected and you get a completion cert when finished. No problems when you come to sell your house either.
When we brought this house a little over a year ago we had to take out an indemnity policy, well got the sellers to sort it anyway as it stays with the house, because the garage had been part converted already and there was nothing to say what was done etc.

I am under the impression we will get a certificate at the end of the work regardless if we go "full plan" or "building notice"? If so I assume all is well when comes to selling in the future?

Last edited by stiscooby; 11 February 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 14 February 2011, 11:04 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
I am under the impression we will get a certificate at the end of the work regardless if we go "full plan" or "building notice"? If so I assume all is well when comes to selling in the future?
Yes, you will get a completion certificate with both.
Old 15 February 2011, 02:56 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pacenote
Same with a building notice!
Old 15 February 2011, 03:44 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Hampshire was told:

1st step is to notify the council of your intent who will check the land registry to ensure you do not require planning permission. Very un usual you do nowerdays but it happens. (done this via e-mail, they got back to me 3 days later saying i was fine and building regs was ok).
2nd step they sent me a buildings notice pack throigh the post, i fill it in, with the fee and can start work 2 days later!

Thats really it. Fee is about £234, which i pay, then within 48hrs i can commence the work, just need to call buildings inspector as the work gets done for example:
call him when footing are excavated, then when filled in, then when brickwork done, then when window is in.......He will attend and give advise, as he does'nt have the power to stop the work, only advise on its reg approval.

Once i pay the £234 for buildings notice i have 3 years to start the work, and no time limit at all on when its complete, so very open ended. I will be getting mine done this summer too, exactly the same as you...half already done, half a garage...

Sti contact you council, should all be doable online.....mine were very agreeable, no probs at all. PM me by all means for more info....

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 15 February 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 15 February 2011, 04:38 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Speak to an architect, they will tell you whatnyou need to know with regards to full plans submission, I personally think you will only require a building notice, as you are only really going to be putting insulation and boarding into it i assume along with the frontage change which essentially is a brick built bottom with a window in it, so very basic stuff.
Old 15 February 2011, 04:50 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

LOL^^^^^^ an architect>>??...WTF for....you just call the council, END OF!....its nothing to do with the work, its about turning a existing building into a living space.
Old 15 February 2011, 08:15 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
LOL^^^^^^ an architect>>??...WTF for....you just call the council, END OF!....its nothing to do with the work, its about turning a existing building into a living space.
I'm well aware of that, but up above he was stating he wasn't sure about what full plans submission entailed, so I suggested speaking with an architect who would talk him through what was involved in making full plans and what was required, so keep your smug thoughts to yourself in the future unless you have something useful to say!!
Old 15 February 2011, 08:42 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Useful, like goto an architect for garage conversion!!!!...pmsl, i bow to your greater knowledge, despite me going through the EXACT same process, just being perhaps a month further down the line than the OP; i'm in no position to speak.

Up above further i explain to the OP that full plans are'nt what he needs, its a building notice only job, and he only need call his local council planning department and they will send it all in the post and answer any questions he may have; but hey thats useless information is'nt it. Your right he should call a £120+ p/hour Architect, get him round his house, for a GARAGE conversion, thats the smart money.

I wanna mow my lawn, might get a chartered surveyor in first though.......

In the first post he asks for building inspectors or people with building regs knowledge on the basis i have just put in my buildings notice i felt i qualified.

That is more like Smug, is it not?
Old 15 February 2011, 09:42 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Calm down people, calm down

Thanks for the info.......... all of you

I have since spoken to my local building control again, basically I have been told the following:

Building Notice - This means the council does not pre-approve any work before we start, it’s done on the basis that the "builder", in my case my father, knows the current building regs and what needs to be done. They then come round every now and then to check things comply. Only risk with this is if we don't do something right we may have to start/do something again.

Full Plan - full detailed, scaled drawings have to be supplied detailing what’s going to be used (insulation, floor etc etc). Building control then go through it and once they are happy they give the go ahead for the work to start. Again, inspections are done every now and then.

An architect doesn't have to do the drawings, I could do them myself if need be, but again, not knowing what needs to be shown/listed etc things would probably go back and forth to the council several times before we actually make any progress, so this is where, for me, an architect may have to be used if we went the full plan route.

SPECDSCOOBY - Are you doing the work yourself, or are you having a builder do the work? I think this might be my main issue with the Building Notice route as although my father is capable of doing the work he/we ain't up to speed on the building regs so run the risk of possibly not doing something “correct”.

Apparently the council are not allowed by law to advise on the "plan" if using a building notice, they can only advise if regs are being met so with regards to things like the foundations for the front wall for example, without being a "proper builder" (who should know the regs), we might again need someone to tell us what is required i.e. our good old friend the architect again?

Cheers
Old 16 February 2011, 12:04 AM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

PM sent
Old 16 February 2011, 12:22 AM
Scooby Senior

I'm not a builder, (I am a plumber though). currently fitting a new roof(flat to pitched) on a building notice, I just ask the inspector how he wants things, make notes and ask if he thinks the specs of the materials are ok etc and when he next wants to visit.

I built a garage, but that time it was through a full plans app. https://www.scoobynet.com/diy-39/697...age-build.html
Old 16 February 2011, 11:24 AM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Yes mate me and my brother are doing it.
following steps:
1st fee + building notice with commencment date.
Inspector will come out, even on buildings notice, thats what the fee is for mate.
Inspector must be notified when the following steps take place, it is upto him if he attends the site: ( i can be accurate here as i have my pack in front of me )

1. commencement
2. Foundation excavation (load baring capacity etc)
3. Foundation concrete poured
4. Oversite (Blockwork built to DPC)
5. DPC installation check
6. Drains (if applicable)
7. Floor joists (if applicable)
8. Roof timbers (if applicable)
9. Test drains (if applicable)
10. Occuptation (if occupied before completion)
11. On completion (statutory)
COMPLETION CERTIFICATE

Now clearly some of these steps are n/a, but thats what the pack says, and as i said Hampshire council sent me a nice little pack with notice in it, tells you ll you need. This is a ball ache of course, but its nothing a builder would'nt go through. I got all this via e-mailing the council, and they sent out the pack, and buildings notice, excellent service no issues at all so far, 100% defo is a buildings notice only job......In Hampshire, at my post code...the council will check all that for you too, free; Hope this helps mate...

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 16 February 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 16 February 2011, 01:06 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps.

Hhmmm, maybe my local council are a bit more **** with regards to "giving advice" on what is required then? (I would quote what they e-mailed me but don't have access to the email at the mo).

SpecDscooby - What are you doing with regards electrics as I believe they have to be signed off by a qualified sparky? Another rip off I suspect, again we could technically do this ourselves but i'm guessing most sparky's wouldn't be happy certifying work they haven't done or won't do it as they "lost out on the job" so to speak.

Last edited by stiscooby; 16 February 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 16 February 2011, 02:10 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

You can do everything yourself....APART from the actual connections, they must be done by a sparky.....i'm doing all fixings myself an gonna put the cable in, and plug and boxes in, just not connect them....that way you looking at a sparky for 30 mins to wire the junctions, if they do it all its a good 1/2 a days work mate..
Old 16 February 2011, 10:58 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

A sparky "should" refuse to certify any work he hasn't done.

If you've got a Building Regs submission / notice in, you can do the electrics yourself... just include it on the notification. You just need to be sure to work to the wiring "regs". Building control will probably want to see test results, and might even want to have a test done on the work themselves.

The "need" for a sparky comes from one of the ways of complying with the notification requirement of part P of the Building Regs - you can comply either by notifying Building control yourself (relatively expensive to do solely for some minor electric work), or by using a sparky who is registered on one of the part P scams, who then notifies the work for you which costs them a couple of quid through their chosen scam.
Old 17 February 2011, 09:14 AM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with above ^^^^^^ it is a scam!! and seems everyone has a slightly different ideal in terms of this Part P ****!!, here is what i went off mate:

Part P of the Building Regulations limit what electrical work may be carried out by anyone other than a professional electrician who is a competent person registered with an electrical self-certification scheme

All work must comply with the IEE Wiring Regulations.
A competent DIYer may be allowed to carry out Non-notifiable work without having to notify the Building Control Officer, but it is always best to check with them first.
Examples of such work are:
Replacing sockets, switches and ceiling roses
Replacing damaged cable in one circuit
Replacing socket boxes
In addition, some other works may be deemed Non-notifiable anywhere except in kichens, bathrooms, utility rooms and other special locations. In these areas they will be considered Notifiable
Examples of such work are:
Adding light fittings and switches to existing circuits
Adding sockets or fused spurs to existing ring or radial circuits

You should refer to the Regulations themselves for exact details
If you are competent, (without the correct accreditation, you are not) you may carry out Noifiable work provided you notify your Building Control Officer in advance exactly what you plan to do. Once you have obtained permission, you will then need to have the work inspected and certified upon completion by a suitably qualified inspector. Full details of the proceedure and costs involved may be obtained from the Building Control Officer

In truth its very clearly a grey area. A Local sparky told me, i can get the wiring etc ready, and as long as he can inspect it and it is not connected (he connects it) he will sign it off for me, no problems....Which it does state in the paragraph above i have highlighted..

Clearly your building inspector will visit your site, so my advice here is to ask him, your fee is all about advice from him, so take advantage mate??!!

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 17 February 2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 17 February 2011, 09:02 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Ok, many thanks for the info