need a led tv :)

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 06:07 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a led tv :)

hi guys

went to value a house today and saw this mental tv the picture looked so real the way they moved about it was almost real, i need a 46 or 47 inch tv led and as much hertz as possible for 700-800 pounds i can get what ever thats supposed to mean

my knowledge is poor on tvs, i currently have an lg lcd 42inch 60hz but even in blue ray the picture doesnt look as good as the tv i saw today. the chap i saw today told me his tv is led, but after searching the internet i noticed i can get full LED 3D tv for around 1400.

is it worth breaking the bank i currently use my lg for my virgin hd box, ps3 and the odd blue ray but the picture quality is so poor compared to what i saw today.

is it worth breaking the bank and getting full led or will a normal led do the job. i have comet around the corner but i would rather get some balanced advice.

thank you
Old 10 February 2011, 06:48 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through this at the. end of last year, I'll dig out the thread from the computer section (best place to post)

Went out to get a LED and ended up with a Panasonic Plasma

Shaun
Old 10 February 2011, 06:50 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...room-help.html

Found it

Shaun
Old 10 February 2011, 06:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Panny plasma was what I was recommended when I asked in December.

My bro in law disagrees, reckons all the problems people mentioned with LED aren't true

Guess what HE has?
Old 10 February 2011, 06:58 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

thanks Shaun I'll have a butchers
Old 10 February 2011, 06:58 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

aren't plasma old school?

just had a good read through it all, but I'm still a little confused so should I go and get a plasma or plasma led. but LCD is supposed to e a new technology. I bought my lg last year and to be honest it's dated compared to the new stuff out there.

Last edited by Mus; 10 February 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11 February 2011, 09:00 AM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

I saw a Samsung thingy LED that was about 10mm thick it was incredible $6,500 though [Harvey Norman - Adelaide]. Can't afford it but **** it looked good.

3D too.
Old 11 February 2011, 09:18 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

Ue55C9000 is the model number of the samsung one
Old 11 February 2011, 09:27 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Panny plasma was what I was recommended when I asked in December.
I had a 42" panny plasma before and changed to a 50" plasma panny last year - fully aware of LED and LCD and completely stand by my decision.

Certain HD programs just look stunning.
Old 11 February 2011, 10:04 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll join the band wagon - 50" Panny Plasma here
Old 11 February 2011, 10:08 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Blimey, 1 year old tellies being out of date?
Old 11 February 2011, 10:22 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Panny plasma here.

I find LED's look amazing, but not real. I've said before that LED/LCD technology always look like an excellent TV, but a good plasma is like looking out of the window.
Old 11 February 2011, 11:12 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I have the new Samsung 55" LED TV at only 29mm thick!

It kicks my old Panna vera plasma out of the park!

Avatar in 1080p @ 24fps is simply the best tv picture I have ever seen IMO.

Go and have a look at one running.

Ads
Old 11 February 2011, 11:41 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just so's people don't get the wrong impression about LED TVs and the technology, go check out ... http://www.techradar.com/news/home-c...to-know-900600 ... and ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_television

As with any TV go see a properly calibrated TV showing the sort of things you watch a lot of. Do not rely on checking it out in the back of a Comet showroom.

Dave

Good links, as many LED manufacuters are very coy/vague about saying what lighting methods their TV uses. The cheapest ones are just a LCD TV with the CCFL swapped for a LEDs with no local dimming ability. The most expesnive ones are full array matrix LEDs with localised dimming.

I do however disagree with the first link's criticisation of full array LED tvs, as the ones I have seen have been absolutely suberb, and notably the best blacks/greys and backlight bleed out of all the LCD/LEDs I have personally encountered. My favourite is the Philips 9000series (notably 40PFL9705H), which IMO is the best LED out there which is no surpise seeing philips is a main player in LED lighting, but the main drawback is its very expensive; a Panasonic V20 Plasma costs alot less (unless you want 3D VT20 ). If the Philips drops in price, that is what I'm getting (if not, I'll have Panny TX-P42V20 instead ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 February 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12 February 2011, 12:24 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Blimey, 1 year old tellies being out of date?
that's what the guy told me in comet my current tv is 42inch lg LCD 60 hertz.

thanks for the links guys deffinetly food for thought. I'll go again tomorrow armed with a bit more info and go from there.
Old 12 February 2011, 12:35 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Mus
that's what the guy told me in comet my current tv is 42inch lg LCD 60 hertz.

thanks for the links guys deffinetly food for thought. I'll go again tomorrow armed with a bit more info and go from there.
Just don't listen to their salemen.

Last time I was in Comet (spending the reminents left over on a Insurance payout card - don't ask). I overheard a couple enquiring with a salesmean about re-gassing a plasma TV....I waiting for him to correct them, no he just went on to say yes the gas does leak out but the cost to replace it is more than the TV is worth...here have a look at these LCDs.

How I managed to keep quiet, I never know....I nearly exploded with the urge to correct them.

The fact a Plasma's half-life is rated at over 10 years of constant use which is about the same for a CCFL backlight on a LCD TV seems lost on these people. (half-life being the time when it reaches half its original rated brightness).

Ahem, sorry, I had to say that somewhere.
Old 12 February 2011, 12:41 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ALi-B
How I managed to keep quiet, I never know....I nearly exploded with the urge to correct them.
I never can suppress the urge

Last time was when I was stood near someone considering a 3D TV and the sales bod told them they needed an HDMI 1.4 cable (correct) and they were £130 and that was the cheapest they could be had I stepped in and pointed out tht they were £1.99 on eBay He then said that those ones would be of poor quality and it would ruin the picture To which I corrected him again The couple walked seconds later and he didn't look pleased
Old 12 February 2011, 10:27 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

I've just came back from comet, went back to the salesman and I told him him that I wAnted a plasma led his reply was it's older technology and advised me to go for a panasonic backlit led 46 inch for 849.99.

is there a massive difference between backlit and full led.
and lastly bow much hertz would I need the panasonic is 100 which is only 40 more than my lg.
he also advised me to buy a 50 pound hdmi cable telling me it will deliver better quality

thanks again
Old 12 February 2011, 11:17 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mus
I've just came back from comet, went back to the salesman and I told him him that I wAnted a plasma led his reply was it's older technology and advised me to go for a panasonic backlit led 46 inch for 849.99.

and lastly bow much hertz would I need the panasonic is 100 which is only 40 more than my lg.
he also advised me to buy a 50 pound hdmi cable telling me it will deliver better quality

thanks again

Please please don't buy a hdmi cable for £50!

http://www.neetcables.com/

I've been running hdmi cables and splitters from this company from years. Reasonably priced and very well made
Old 12 February 2011, 12:07 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

i havent goone mad yet lol it just goes to show there knowledge on tvs and mine too. i think with this big companies its a matter of selling whatever. i think they should really invest in proper training. so atleast they can provide you with the right advise based on your needs.
Old 12 February 2011, 12:08 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Don't get too sucked into the tech stuff. Most of it is marketing tosh anyway and many salesman try to scare into buying over-priced connectors and silly insurance cover.

I have an LCD in the lounge and an LED on my kitchen wall. The LED has fantastic picture quality with Blu-Ray and ergonomic too with it's ultra-slim look.

Nick
Old 12 February 2011, 12:18 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I've got a 10 metre HD cable running to my projector. It cost me £10. Yes thats £1 per metre and I am quite delighted with the picture produced.

Expensive HD cables = biggest consumer con EVER
Old 12 February 2011, 12:43 PM
Paul&bon
Scooby Regular

I've got a Samsung series 7 led. In a word, fantastic. Every shop I went in to check out picture qualities of different tv I ended up looking at the same tv every time not knowing it was the same one.
Old 12 February 2011, 04:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Mus

thanks again
OK think we need to clear a few muddled things up:

LCD, LED, whatever, are ALL backlit. Plasma, is NOT.

Basically the LCD/LED technology works by having a very bright light source shining through a panel which blocks the light.

The difference between old LCD (CCFL) and newer LED is the type of light used. One uses cold cathode florescent lamps, the other uses LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes). Both types use LCD to block the light.

Of the ones that use LED, they can be arranged in various patterns; Some around the edge, some across the whole rear of the screen. That can be further split into ones that can dim individual areas and those that cannot. For example, edge lit TVs (CCFL and LED) tend to have a glowing effect around the edges of the screen in a dark room. How bad that is is down to the TV manufacturer.

Plasma is NOT an old technology, its just a different one; here the pixels emit light. Whereas a LED pixel block light. So no need for a backlight and all of the issues that are associated with them (bleeding, poor blacks etc.).

Now, as for Hz. this is tricky, with LCD/LEDs there is a problem in with the way the display reacts to each change in picture frame. On films this "can" induce a judder or non-smooth motion as the picture skips from frame to frame of a film (most films are 24 frames per second). Most don't notice, but those who do, its as annoying as hell. A higher hertz combined motion interpolation helps with this and gives a smoother transition from frame to frame.

Plasmas naturally has smoother transition from frame to frame as there is a after glow effect from each pixel, so judder is not as apparent. Even so many modern Plasmas do have higher refresh rates (hz) and motion interpolation too.

Some people do not like motion interpolation as it makes the picture motion "too" fluid (it takes some getting used when compared to a "jerky" TV). Again this is down the TV manufactures and the content viewed. Personally I find Philips to be the best here, they've had this technology since CRT tvs and IMO it is underrated and superior to that offered by other manufacturers.

Bottom line is have a play, get the remote and play with the settings, see if you can get the TV to display what you prefer.

A film should not jerk on panning scenes. Dark pictures should not be grey or be brighter around the edges. Colours should appear natural and uniform without being overly bright or too vibrant/vivid (except where the colour is "supposed to be vibrant/vivid).

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 February 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12 February 2011, 04:06 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
aren't plasma old school?
So is the internal combustion engine its old but when you consider the (green)alternatives, its still awesome!.....Just like Plasma.

Just in my opinion regarding LCD/LED, they are rubbish for watching movies. Every scene looks like a soap opera studio set.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 12 February 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12 February 2011, 04:09 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Ali just tell me what bloody 3D plasma to buy and I'll get it tomorrow
Old 12 February 2011, 04:12 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
Buy a Panny VT20, they are discontinued(as is the whole panny range) and deals can be had on them at the moment.
Old 12 February 2011, 04:17 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns

I'm not really into 3D. Thats just another ball park to try and get my head around

My current favourite 2D plasma is the Panasonic TX-P42V20 (yes I am buying it, honest... I just need to redecorate the lounge first ).

The 3D version is the TX-P42VT20, I've Seen one in 2D, and it is good, but I can't say on how good it is on 3D or how it compares to the others out there.
Old 12 February 2011, 04:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Buy a Panny VT20, they are discontinued(as is the whole panny range) and deals can be had on them at the moment.

Oooo, any idea what is going to replace them?

Quick Reply: need a led tv :)