Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: If you were voting which option would you go for?
Vote against prisoners being given the vote
90.91%
Vote for prisoners being given the vote
2.27%
Vote for prisoners getting the vote but with resrtictions
6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Ok so it's vote day for MP's on voting for prisoners.

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2011, 10:06 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok so it's vote day for MP's on voting for prisoners.

So what would you vote for?

Last edited by r32; 10 February 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10 February 2011, 10:08 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

No! - simple as that, stuff the EU and rights of people who choose to break the laws of the land.
Old 10 February 2011, 10:10 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
No! - simple as that, stuff the EU and rights of people who choose to break the laws of the land.
+1
Old 10 February 2011, 10:22 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Apparently if this is passed there will be an opportunity for prisoners who qualify and missed out on the last vote to claim compensation - We really will end up the laughing stock of Europe - if we are not already!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12409426
But former deputy prime minister Lord Prescott said the debate was part of a plot by "some Tory right wingers who want to get rid of the Human Rights Act" and he urged MPs not to support the motion, telling them: "Don't go down that road".

Lord Prescott, who reportedly clashed with Mr Straw on the issue at a meeting of the Parliamentary Labour Party earlier this week, said that the former justice secretary was the only Labour MP to sign what was essentially a "Tory motion".

The Labour peer, who sits on the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly which elects ECHR judges, told Today: "As a sovereign Parliament, we signed up for this human rights change - nobody disagreed with it at all - that says we observe the obligations of the convention.

"If we in fact feel there is a disagreement, it lays out that the dispute will be decided by the judge at the European court."

Hundreds of prisoners have instigated claims for being denied the right to vote and the government is facing potential compensation bills of more than £100m.

'Lord Prescott' - the fat, ignorant, loud-mouthed, cheating, two-faced **** should keep his mouth shut and stick to car insurance ad's

Last edited by The Zohan; 10 February 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10 February 2011, 10:29 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
+2
Old 10 February 2011, 10:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I agree with you sentiments entirely Paul. I may have it wrong but I thought that if the bill against their right to vote was passed that the prisoners would then be able to sue the Govt. under the Eu Human Rights Act.

It is time that the Govt. fullfilled its pre-election election promise to bin that act and set up a British Bill of Rights so that we can say what goes in this country of ours. They have conveniently forgotten too many of their pre-election promises, notably the plebiscite on the Lisbon Treaty for a start which is only a short step away from effective federalisation!

Les
Old 10 February 2011, 11:07 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see UK out of Europe but, tbh, I couldn't care one way or the other if prisoners have the right to vote or not. I'd get the votes in and just sling them in the bin when no one is looking

dl
Old 10 February 2011, 11:07 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Personally I would probably go for allow with restrictions.

Don't forget that in modern Britain not everyone in clink is a nasty viscious criminal. I do not see how you can lump the people sent to prison for protecting their property or non payment of poll tax etc in the same boat as career criminals.

There are lots of people in Britains prisons for momentary acts of insanity or lack of concentration so should they be denied the right to vote for a government that might sort out the country and put real crims in jail rather than the guy who forgot to pay his TV licence!!
Old 10 February 2011, 11:10 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel

Don't forget that in modern Britain not everyone in clink is a nasty viscious criminal. I do not see how you can lump the people sent to prison for protecting their property or non payment of poll tax etc in the same boat as career criminals.

There are lots of people in Britains prisons for momentary acts of insanity or lack of concentration so should they be denied the right to vote for a government that might sort out the country and put real crims in jail rather than the guy who forgot to pay his TV licence!!
This is the right to vote for prisoners serving up to 5 years, up to five years which can include rape and violent assaults child **** all sorts of serious crimes in fact. if you are only serving 6 month for a very minor offence then chances of you being in jail voting time are minimal and is just part of the price you pay for breaking the law surely?
Old 10 February 2011, 11:25 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I don't ever hear prisoners say how much they miss their vote....how unfair etc, etc.

I'm guessing, and it is just a guess, most don't discuss politics at all.
Old 10 February 2011, 11:47 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The basic answer is to have a proper British bill of rights which would mean that people were not actually summonsed for defending themselves or their property, or for similar acts which are wrongly considered to be criminal offences.

Les
Old 10 February 2011, 11:51 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
That was the other point that David Davies made. In all his time as an MP, no prisoner had contacted him about not having a vote (other things yes).

Dave
I would guess that half the prison population couldn't name the prime minister let alone the leader of the opposition.

But I would not let prisoners who have been convicted of crimes against the state vote.

dl
Old 10 February 2011, 12:35 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turf the ******* out of prison and leave us law abiding citizens to enjoy a roof over our heads, 3 meals a day and a free telly licence
Old 10 February 2011, 01:32 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whilst I'm against prisoners getting the vote, the sort of prisoner who is there because they didn't pay the license fee or the OAP that couldn't afford their council tax ar the sort that shouldn't be denied the right. For this reason I voted for giving them the right to vote but with restrictions.
Old 10 February 2011, 01:36 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

There is no way crims should be able to vote, they're incarcerated for a reason FFS

TX.
Old 10 February 2011, 01:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Prison is supposed to be a punishment by removal of liberty. Whether those liberties are the right to wander freely about this land, to watch Sky TV, to use a mobile phone, to have sex with a partner(s) of your choice, they have removed those privileges themselves by their own actions, and have no right to complain IMHO.
Old 10 February 2011, 01:52 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

'Those who break the law should not be given the opportunity to make the law' - quote by someone today. I think that covers it nicely.
Old 10 February 2011, 02:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
'Those who break the law should not be given the opportunity to make the law' - quote by someone today. I think that covers it nicely.
works for me too!
Old 10 February 2011, 10:42 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Having looked in to this a bit more.

I'd sooner they have the vote, than the government have to pay out 100s of millions in compensation!
Old 10 February 2011, 10:56 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Prison is supposed to be a punishment by removal of liberty. Whether those liberties are the right to wander freely about this land, to watch Sky TV, to use a mobile phone, to have sex with a partner(s) of your choice, they have removed those privileges themselves by their own actions, and have no right to complain IMHO.
But they do have the right to have sex with a partner of their choice ...........provided their choice is a big hairy ****!

Anyway, this is an easy one - they can "bugger" off!
Old 11 February 2011, 12:18 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by hutton_d
So, the votes are in: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Pol...risoner_Voting ...

"... A total of 234 MPs voted to stop prisoners getting a vote, with just 22 voting for the move. .... "

Hmmm. What happened to the other 400 MPs????? On a matter such as this, which would be a "constitutional" issue if the UK had one, they couldn't be bothered to turn out and vote???? And they wonder why they are held in contempt.

Dave
Too busy figuring out ways to stitch up the tax payer and grab more expenses.
Old 11 February 2011, 12:26 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

We're breaching their human rights by locking 'em up!

Free them!
Old 11 February 2011, 02:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
Can't say fairer than that!

Les