Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recurring dreams.......

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2011, 08:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Recurring dreams.......

Does anyone else have them? Does anyone think they MEAN anything?
Is there an accepted way to stop them?

Mine are VERY threatening/scary, and leave me feeling bad.
Old 08 February 2011, 08:26 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you HAVE to tell us.
Old 08 February 2011, 08:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not going there, since one person's bad dreams are another's jokes.

Suffice to say that I've had bad experiences waking up shouting, sweating and out of breath.
Old 08 February 2011, 08:35 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm no expert, but unless they involve events or people from your real life I would say you have nothing much to worry about. How long has it been going on for?
Old 08 February 2011, 08:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

I was wondering the same thing earlier today at work.

I tend to have reoccuring dreams where I'm at work in a dark enclosed space and I find myself suddenly stuck under machinery for rolling steel plate Woken up a few times sat up in bed in a real sweat and needed Nat to put the light on to prove I'm safe funny now but it makes me doubly careful at work to make sure it doesn't become reality. My thinking behind the dreams is subliminal thoughts when working on said machinery on the 'works about how easily they could kill me if not isolated properly. Its a very demonic looking place and kinda sticks in your minds, hence the dreams

Usually just feel tired at work and make sure risk assessments, SWP's etc. are done. Nat gets some right comments out of me which I never remember though...
Old 08 February 2011, 08:46 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

I'm not making fun of you in anyway mate. Most people will have bad dreams at some point in life.
If you keep having them a lot then the chances are that something is bothering you deep down inside that maybe you need to discuss with someone.
Old 08 February 2011, 08:47 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To see a pan in your dream, refers to your attitude and your stance on a particular situation. It may also represent criticism and anger. If the pan is made of glass, then it means that you being conscious and aware about a particular situation. You are also opening yourself up to criticism. As a receptacle, it symbolizes the womb.

To see a frying pan in your dream, represents completeness in love. Alternatively, it suggests that you need to start accepting the consequences of your actions. You may have found yourself in an inescapable situation.
Cackle

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2011, 08:54 PM
Will
BANNED

PMSL, Quality
Old 08 February 2011, 09:09 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Some excellent advice here:
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...ares-in-adults
Old 08 February 2011, 09:16 PM
Mexican
Scooby Newbie

My dreams are just ****ed up funny but mad
Old 08 February 2011, 09:20 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Learn how to become lucid during your dreams....that way you can wake yourself up at will if you do not like the dream or, better yet, confront the dream and start to interact with it and have fun with it. Being consciously awake within a dream is one of the coolest experiences I have ever had. At the time, you can hardly tell the difference between dream and reality. Nightmares are less scary when you can burn dream characters at will
Old 08 February 2011, 09:27 PM
Mexican
Scooby Newbie

Saxo boy too much lsd
Old 08 February 2011, 09:36 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Learn how to become lucid during your dreams....that way you can wake yourself up at will if you do not like the dream or, better yet, confront the dream and start to interact with it and have fun with it. Being consciously awake within a dream is one of the coolest experiences I have ever had. At the time, you can hardly tell the difference between dream and reality. Nightmares are less scary when you can burn dream characters at will
Be careful saxo boy, in lucid dream mode if you analyse the dream construct (floors, walls, characters etc) to closely they break down. It mirrors what they were saying on that documentary programme the other week - that in fact OUR reality is a hologram and when you analyse at subatomic level everything pixelates and brakes down. Quite a nice parallel.

But on a more positive note lucid dreams allow you to tell the worlds funniest joke even when it is the most unfunny thing ever said.

Oh and clicking your fingers to make any perceived evil vanish with a pop is quite fun.

It's quite a low percentage of the population who can control the lucid state..
Old 08 February 2011, 10:59 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Be careful saxo boy, in lucid dream mode if you analyse the dream construct (floors, walls, characters etc) to closely they break down.
What do you mean by this? I have had some good success at lucid dreaming and a small amount of control. However, I eventually lose "resolution", as I call it, the dream fades and I wake up. I am still hoping to learn better methods of preventing that from happening so that I can remain in the dream for longer.
Old 08 February 2011, 11:38 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

As a child I used to have a recurrent dream, across the road from my parents house, there was a small grass area with a single tree planted in the middle. I used to dream that a man was digging a hole and burying things there. This went on night after night for what seemed like months, over months in my dream he burried money, clothes, bottles of milk, all manner of random things.

I also used to repeatedly dream that my car had been taken, to the extent that I would wake up sad, annoyed or angry as the dream was so vivid that I believed on waking that it had actually occurred, I would always discover the car had been stolen in the same way, by looking out of the window at the top of the stairs.

I was caught in a terrorist incident over ten years ago, where a friend and colleague lost his life, in my sleep my mind would replay scenes from this day with amazing clarity and vividness night after night. At one time this reached a point where I did not want to sleep, because when I was sleeping, I had no control over my thoughts. On one occasion I managed to throw myself right out of bed in my efforts to get to my colleague. Although technically these are flashbacks of an actual traumatic occurrence, as opposed to something based in fantasy, I find the minds ability to conjure up either dreams or flashbacks on its own while the rest of the body is in sleep totally fascinating.
Old 08 February 2011, 11:41 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Ones people commonly get are things like drowning, falling, being naked in public etc.
Old 09 February 2011, 12:17 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Less alcohol , see how it pans out ?
Old 09 February 2011, 12:52 AM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

I`ve had some of these recently and was even thinking of starting a thread about it. Thanks to the OP for doing it for me. Mine have usually consisted of me wandering around lost, sometimes in streets or large buildings with long corridors and joined rooms that lead nowhere. I`m usually with someone I don`t know, except once when it was John Cleese! and the barstewards always leave me somewhere along the journey
Old 09 February 2011, 01:08 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Dreams are just dreams, generally no hidden meaning. There is usually a trigger though: Food, drugs, Alchohol or stress. You should see if something has changed in the last few weeks.

When I was a child if I was given sudafed I would have horrible nightmares. And all those years ago my dreams showed me I was destined to work in computers: was my scary recurring dreams about monsters ripping my face off? Nope they were about something being illogical and I couldn't stand it...
Old 09 February 2011, 01:40 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

I have dreams of this nature at times but normally when I am under a lot of stress work related etc. Could you be under a form of stress work/home etc?

Steve
Old 09 February 2011, 09:20 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

You were right in what you said about that other thread Alcazar, I have resisted the temptation so far but cannot guarantee being able to continue!

Les
Old 09 February 2011, 09:40 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weird that the morning after I reply to this thread I have the most vivid and lengthy dream I've had in a long time!
Old 09 February 2011, 10:27 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
What do you mean by this? I have had some good success at lucid dreaming and a small amount of control. However, I eventually lose "resolution", as I call it, the dream fades and I wake up. I am still hoping to learn better methods of preventing that from happening so that I can remain in the dream for longer.
Just walk up to any item, be it a wall or a very ornate clock and as you get closer it turns to mush.
Old 09 February 2011, 10:34 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

In a huge house (different every time) with certain areas that are hard to get to (ladders rather than stairs, or tight passages) and one area or room that is haunted or scares me to enter. Usually I realise whats going on and force my way through the scary/haunted bit but I always wake up. Sometimes the wife has to wake me as I'm freaking out in my sleep a bit.

House, hard to reach places, scary part of house are the constants.

Also, either in school or a modified version of school or my old work. Scenarios are different but nearly every time I haven't got shoes.

Its the shoes that are the constant.
Old 09 February 2011, 10:34 AM
Will
BANNED

My brother used to get up screaming and shouting during the night and he used to run out through the front door and round the house and in through the back door. He didn't know he did it, when we told him in the morning he thought we were lyeing!!! What's that sort of thing about then???

My other brother thought it was a very bad dream, I just thought he was turning into a mentalist!!! I mean, he's lucky a car didn't hit him down when he ran out of the house!!
Old 09 February 2011, 11:04 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
In a huge house (different every time) with certain areas that are hard to get to (ladders rather than stairs, or tight passages) and one area or room that is haunted or scares me to enter. Usually I realise whats going on and force my way through the scary/haunted bit but I always wake up. Sometimes the wife has to wake me as I'm freaking out in my sleep a bit.

House, hard to reach places, scary part of house are the constants.

Also, either in school or a modified version of school or my old work. Scenarios are different but nearly every time I haven't got shoes.

Its the shoes that are the constant.
Yep, that's one of mine, almost to a T. I force myself into this hard-to reach areausually a loft/attic, see what appears to be a bundle of rags hanging on the wall, and when I approach, it moves and is revealed as a horrid old story-book witch. Then I wake up.

The other one has deep, very dirty water in it........The other night I dreamed I was sitting on a chair, which was tied to a raft, very unstable, on some awful water, the raft slowly moving away from safety, trying to pluck up the courage to jump to safety, and it's getting darker and darker........

I see this as a standard anxiety dream, but what's the significance of the fear of the dirty water? I'm a GOOD swimmer.
Old 09 February 2011, 11:23 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

I regulary have weird dreams.
I'm told quite often about my shouting & swearing when sleeping.
Recently though the dreams have all involved a werewolf FFS - whats that all about?
Old 09 February 2011, 12:14 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I have lots of dreams about travelling, holidays etc. Sometimes planes crash, but I survive, that sort of thing.

The one I have had for years and years and is true in real life is a fear of trains! This is not some phalic symbol or anything like that before you say it's because I watched a rather horrific public safety film when I was very young which has scarred me for life.
Old 09 February 2011, 12:23 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I never have any scary dreams, just stupid ones
Old 09 February 2011, 12:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I am pretty good at predicting plane crashes, did it three or four times and it really freaked the wife out, not usually very specific but one morning and woke up and told her what a cool and vivid dream I had last night, a Jumbo crashed into water, but its ok, nobody died.

Didnt think any more about it until later in the day and the news came on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines_Flight_605

She just called me an oddball and why would I try and trick her, that I must have heard about it and was trying to freak her out, I pointed out that I couldnt possibly have, she is still not sure whether I was doing it as a laugh but honestly, didnt have a clue, strange thing was, it was a nice dream, exciting, not a nightmare at all, totally different to the normal style which was terrifying, dont generally get them now.

Quick Reply: Recurring dreams.......