Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Airline Security ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2011, 10:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airline Security ?

Just a hypothetical question having watched "Air Crash Confidential" about terrorism since jet travel really started, imagine if all the airports, airlines and passengers said sod the security, lets take our chances and just go back to how it was in the sixties, what do you think would happen ?

Ok, it is a stupid question but I reckon that there would be a plane a day crashing somewhere worldwide, would the suicide bombers ever tire of it, would they run out of volunteers, would it cease to make a point any more ?

Also, seeing this documentary made me realise it hasnt been exclusively Islamic terrorists, the Sikhs had a turn in 1985 !
Old 07 February 2011, 10:27 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

and the Irish, Germans and Spanish have all had a go
Old 07 February 2011, 10:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

IRA, Baader Meinhof and ETTA ?
Old 07 February 2011, 10:43 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO

ETTA? I thought she was a singer?
Old 07 February 2011, 10:49 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ETTA_JAMES.jpg

Last edited by AsifScoob; 07 February 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07 February 2011, 11:01 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Considering 1942 to 9/11?
Old 08 February 2011, 07:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Thought this would provoke some debate, did my mentioning that it all cant be blamed on Muslims spoil it or was it just a lame thread ?

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2011, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Too easy for anyone to promote a disaster without security.

Les
Old 10 February 2011, 11:44 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You have to differentiate between security theatre (which is what the TSA in America practice) or real security which is where counter-intelligence comes in.

If you want to spend way too much time reading up about this I recommend reading Bruce Schneier's blog http://www.schneier.com/ but it will give you a much greater understanding of what security works and what is really just for show (full body PETN scanners and taking your bloody shoes off are firmly in this category)

Terrorism IS winning at the moment - a FAILED attempt (shoe bomber) gets people hugely inconvenienced and another FAILED attempt humiliates people (underwear bomber) - so these failures and supposed threat causes millions to be spent on show, huge delays for passengers and no extra security to show for it
Old 10 February 2011, 12:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I dont think it is just for show the scanners and takign your shoes off as devices have been secreted around peoples bodies, luckily, recently they have failed to go off properly, I cant imagine that all that investement and resource is really just to make a point, reassure passengers and put would be bombers off ?

J4ckos mate and I were discussing this whilst walking the dogs near the airport, I wondered why the terrorists were fixated on getting on a plane and didnt just use other methods that did not involve being on board, not that I want to suggest anything but my thinking was that in war scenarios planes come down but not because of someones shoes or underpants in seat 16B, kind of makes me squirm a bit to think like that and worried that they will think of these potential avenues.
Old 10 February 2011, 01:29 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Gets my goat.

You have a bottle of water in your bag that you forgot about (have done this many times). It is confiscated at the scanners on the grounds that it could be an explosive. Do they cart it off in some sophisticated containment device for destruction elsewhere? No, they pop it in the bin under the counter

And turning your mobile phone off for the duration of the flight. I only remember when it is buried in my jacket in the overhead locker as we taxi out. If that was really dangerous it would be simple for a terrorist to operate a phone on a flight.

Last edited by speedking; 10 February 2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 02:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
If that was really dangerous it would be simple for a terrorist to operate a phone on a flight.
Wouldnt be an Iphone, he would have told everybody all about it before hand

I was thinking more in terms of someone takign shots with a powerful rifle at a plane or worse some kind of shoulder mounted rocket thing, ok, not that easy to come by (thankfully) but probably not impossible.
Old 10 February 2011, 02:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I can see it now..... the iBomb app.
Old 10 February 2011, 02:52 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
You have to differentiate between security theatre (which is what the TSA in America practice) or real security which is where counter-intelligence comes in.

If you want to spend way too much time reading up about this I recommend reading Bruce Schneier's blog http://www.schneier.com/ but it will give you a much greater understanding of what security works and what is really just for show (full body PETN scanners and taking your bloody shoes off are firmly in this category)

Terrorism IS winning at the moment - a FAILED attempt (shoe bomber) gets people hugely inconvenienced and another FAILED attempt humiliates people (underwear bomber) - so these failures and supposed threat causes millions to be spent on show, huge delays for passengers and no extra security to show for it

I agree with this. As I fly quite a bit, I see numerous ways that security is insufficient.

Why all this nonsense about nail clippers and such like being forbidden? How stupid is that? I have had toiletries, water bottles, nail scissors, alcohol, ridiculous things, confiscated from me.

But I have been on flights where not even my passport was checked, not once, before I got on the plane!

If I was going to hijack a plane and kill myself, I would just buy a business class ticket. A) Go out in style, B) All the weapons I would need would come supplied, as they simply hand out knives and forks to people!

How stupid is THAT!?

Asif
Old 10 February 2011, 03:04 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Did any of those organisations ever take down a plane ?? I cant recall it, I cant even recall an attempt? could be wrong though.

They usually went for car bombs and for the majority of their attacks had specific targets such as politicians, judges and service personnel and occasionally the general public.
Old 10 February 2011, 03:13 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Did any of those organisations ever take down a plane ?? I cant recall it, I cant even recall an attempt? could be wrong though.

They usually went for car bombs and for the majority of their attacks had specific targets such as politicians, judges and service personnel and occasionally the general public.
Oh well that's OK then.
Old 10 February 2011, 04:36 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Oh well that's OK then.

Try reading the thread title and few of the initial posts and even my post then you wont waste my time or yours with your pointless post

The thread is about Airline security

Also, seeing this documentary made me realise it hasnt been exclusively Islamic terrorists, the Sikhs had a turn in 1985 !
This was suggested
Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
and the Irish, Germans and Spanish have all had a go

To which I answered, of course it doesn't make it right

I'm shocked you didn't pick up on the fact it's ETA and not ETTA, you're slacking, here have your eyes back
Old 10 February 2011, 04:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Try reading the thread title and few of the initial posts and even my post then you wont waste my time or yours with your pointless post

The thread is about Airline security
So why the lecture on the terrorist methodologies of those organisations not pertinent to the thread then?

Try staying on topoc and then you won't be wasting my time or yours
Old 10 February 2011, 04:52 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, that was my question, there was a question mark on the end, I dont recally any of those organisations blowing up a plane, just trying to guess which organisations were being reffered to.

I know I spelt it wrong, I was in double letter mode after typing "Baader"
Old 10 February 2011, 05:25 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Wink

Yes, that was my question, there was a question mark on the end, I dont recally any of those organisations blowing up a plane, just trying to guess which organisations were being reffered to.
I Know I expanded on it

Hardly a lecture f1 just stated their preferences when killing people as hodgy seemed to think they had strayed into aviation.

How's the anger management going
Old 10 February 2011, 05:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I Know I expanded on it

Hardly a lecture f1 just stated their preferences when killing people as hodgy seemed to think they had strayed into aviation.

How's the anger management going

Did I sound angry, sorry if I did, wasnt the intention !
Old 10 February 2011, 06:49 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

You didn't J4CKO

That was a bit of tongue in cheek for F1_fan, related to this thread

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...not-an-mp.html
Old 10 February 2011, 08:23 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

A chap I know of works for a company that repairs some ground equipment. He rolls up to the gates in a LWB, hi-top van rammed full of boxes, tools and equipment, the guard takes a 3 second glance in the back and he is through. Meanwhile, I am inside queuing up to have my shoes x-rayed. Slightly mixed priorities, I would say

The mobile phone thing annoys me somewhat. If they were actually dangerous, you would not be allowed them in the cabin. However, that would require them being checked into the hold and some way of carrying those belonging to people with no hold baggage. This means investing money, so doesnt get done.
Old 10 February 2011, 08:25 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ He's already got security clearance though ie police checks etc have happened. You haven't

TX.

PS

In response to the OP, it's gone too far IMHO & should be slackened off ... certainly not made more onerous planes hardly ever crash & the ones that do are rarely down to bombs - rare events & should be treated as such.

Last edited by Terminator X; 10 February 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 08:27 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but if I were a bearded suicide bomber, I would kidnap his pet hamster and tell him I would rape it to death unless he smuggled in a box of grenades for me.
Old 10 February 2011, 09:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the best way to avoid being blown up on an airplane is to smuggle your own bomb on board -- the chances of two bombs on board the airplane is as close to statistical zero as is possible

get the math working for you

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 February 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10 February 2011, 11:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

"Aviation accidents are extremely rare, with the probability of a passenger being killed on a single flight at approximately eight million-to-one. If a passenger boarded a flight at random, once a day, everyday, it would statistically be over 21,000 years before he or she would be killed."

TX.
Old 10 February 2011, 11:20 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

TSA sucks!
Old 10 February 2011, 11:22 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
http://www.planecrashinfo.com/rates.htm

"Aviation accidents are extremely rare, with the probability of a passenger being killed on a single flight at approximately eight million-to-one. If a passenger boarded a flight at random, once a day, everyday, it would statistically be over 21,000 years before he or she would be killed."

TX.
And a very high chance of being killed by Airline food on that timetable!!
Old 11 February 2011, 10:04 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With the deployment of the lastest in liquid scanning technology, the restrictions on liquids are supposed to be getting relaxed slightly from April, and phased out altogether by 2013.
http://www.airport-technology.com/fe...feature106879/

I think they're going about it wrongly. They shouldn't be trying to identify all liquids pastes gels, etc. in their scanning algorithms. They should only need to screen for all known explosive compounds and oxidisers.

Quick Reply: Airline Security ?