Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going T'Egypt in July

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2011, 04:10 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going T'Egypt in July

Have any of you lot been? I would like to know if you gave tips to the staff in the hotels? I've been told different things like giving them Dollars or even Pound coins,just wondering what to take.
Old 23 January 2011, 04:12 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take "the patience of a fecking saint" .... they'll take anything
Old 23 January 2011, 04:13 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Take "the patience of a fecking saint" .... they'll take anything
They'll be getting f*ck all off me then,i've never had it.
Old 23 January 2011, 04:15 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

They'll even take more "**** all" than you have if you're not careful.... have you seen "An Idiot Abroad" the Egyptian one? very close to what its really like
Old 23 January 2011, 04:24 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tip the waiters or else you will be spending the holiday worshiping the porcelian god.
Old 23 January 2011, 04:25 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

In general you tip when you get a good service. I only tipped the barman in the hotels. I would normally tip then twice a day £1 each time. If you do that they will always serve you first and bring drinks over to you.

I also tipped taxi drivers , bell boys and anyone that help me.

You would enjoy it
Old 23 January 2011, 04:38 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I really hope you don't end up with the Eartha Kitts Neil. .............
Old 23 January 2011, 04:40 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

"Curse of the Pharaohs"
Old 23 January 2011, 04:54 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I used to tip the lads in the restaurant which meant I always got a good table when they we3re busy and drinks on demand without even having to ask I also tipped the lads serving you the drinks that way I never needed to queue at the bar and they would bring a new round out if they spotted your drink being low

There is no real reason to tip if you don't want to as they will still serve you the same things but you will just spend a lot more time queing I blew about £120 tipping the last time I was there but I had to do nothing and the staff would run around all over the place trying to do things for you

Last edited by stevebt; 23 January 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 23 January 2011, 05:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
They'll even take more "**** all" than you have if you're not careful.... have you seen "An Idiot Abroad" the Egyptian one? very close to what its really like
I was made to see that "The Idiot Abroad" episode. I am off to Egypt (Sharm-el-Shiekh) in May. I was dying to get to Cairo to see pyramids, and would have liked to go on even one-day excursion to check them out. When I saw that idiot from "The Idiot Abroad" watching that dirty nappy revolving at 40 mph up in the air at the pyramids site, I got a tad "meh" about it. Saying that, I am not exactly some "Idiot from the UK Abroad" for wanting everything Britain stylee on the foreignland, never mind me respecting their flying nappies. So, I may just fly out for a day or so, to see the pyramids, not the flying nappy.

Useful thread for first time Egypt visitors
Old 23 January 2011, 05:20 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Have any of you lot been? I would like to know if you gave tips to the staff in the hotels? I've been told different things like giving them Dollars or even Pound coins,just wondering what to take.
Depends on where you are going and what you are doing. Did a Nile cruise in 2010 (loved it) and they just organised a tip for the staff right at the end. Fixed amount all round, so no questions. I gave that, then added more at my discretion, for specific staff whom I was pleased with (Barman in this case. )

HTH
Old 23 January 2011, 05:45 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

I've been to Egypt many times, a good idea will be change up **** loads of coins and give it out. they will hustle you don't act rich, if they tell you 100 egyption pounds make sure you pay nothing more than 30. haggle like you've never haggled before.

don't drink tap water, wash your fruits well, don't eat from street stands. and don't take all your money out at once just invade you get pick pocketed you will be fine other than that

oh take some tablets just incase you get the runs
Old 23 January 2011, 05:49 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Beware of tomatoes .... grown on the Nile delta and fertilised on human waste, also ice in drinks is typically from tap water so avoid at all costs...

I worked there and LOVED it .... once you get past the "Skeggy tourist feel" it's truly an amazing place! The pyramids at night show was good...
Old 23 January 2011, 06:16 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AsifScoob
Depends on where you are going and what you are doing. Did a Nile cruise in 2010 (loved it) and they just organised a tip for the staff right at the end. Fixed amount all round, so no questions. I gave that, then added more at my discretion, for specific staff whom I was pleased with (Barman in this case. )

HTH
Going all inclusive to Nabq Bay for two weeks,as a few have stated above,tip the barman and the people serving food
Old 23 January 2011, 07:54 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Some of the taxis work in pairs in the Naama Bay area. The taxi will wait across the road on double yellows instead of joining the taxi que and sends out a scout who looks for people on the way back to the taxi rank. The scout will know what hotel you are going back to by the patern on your hotel drinks wrist band. He will then claim he works for the hotel so come with me, blah blah blah.

Turn your bands inside out to really pi55 them off

SetoN
Old 24 January 2011, 09:14 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Just be careful in the sea
Old 24 January 2011, 10:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Surely if you get good service it is only reasonable to tip whatever country you are in. Seems unwise to avoid it anyway.

Les
Old 24 January 2011, 10:56 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Maybe i'm a tight tw@ but why should you have to tip someone for doing there job?
Old 24 January 2011, 10:56 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Surely if you get good service it is only reasonable to tip whatever country you are in. Seems unwise to avoid it anyway.

Les
Not in Japan it isn't. they will not expect it, and become very embarrassed if you try. and Ive never had better customer service from any other country ive visited.

Last edited by stormyuklondon1; 24 January 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 24 January 2011, 12:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Take plenty of low denomination notes,

Haggle like your life drpends on it.

Whatever they start with offer 2/3rds less, and then go lower.

Walk away if you dont get what you want.

Often you will get chased down the street to give you your low price

You,ll get the runs, , And they,l give you antinal or similar

dont buy water bottled or otherwise from the roadside, its often used

bottles resealed!!! (hence getting the runs).

Drinkl soft drinks far easier, and cheaper

See the sights --

Pyramids, Valley of the Kings, Hapshetsutts temple, Abu Simbel (at sunrise is breathtaking), City of the dead is an eye opener too

Nile cruises are great and relaxing (ish )

Egyptian museum at cairo is very good too

Mart
Old 24 January 2011, 02:34 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

To avoid the usual Egyptian toilet problems, when you first get there go to a chemist and buy some Antinal, also known as Ambatrol (nifuroxazide) & Nifuroxazide Ercefuryl.
Take it until you leave + 2-3 days after.
Don't stop taking it even if you feel ok.
It will protect you while you are there, but you need to stay on a course for a minimum 7 days as it's an antibiotic.
The chemist should charge no more than £1 per packet, but you can usually haggle down to about £0.50 per packet.

I take this each year we go diving, and it always protects me. Other members of the party don't and get the ***** badly, which ruins their trip.
Old 24 January 2011, 03:04 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sheepsplitter
To avoid the usual Egyptian toilet problems, when you first get there go to a chemist and buy some Antinal, also known as Ambatrol (nifuroxazide) & Nifuroxazide Ercefuryl.
It will protect you while you are there, but you need to stay on a course for a minimum 7 days as it's an antibiotic.
The chemist should charge no more than £1 per packet, but you can usually haggle down to about £0.50 per packet.

I take this each year we go diving, and it always protects me. Other members of the party don't and get the ***** badly, which ruins their trip.
how long before leaving for egypt should you start talking it? im off to Luxor at the beginning of march..
Old 24 January 2011, 03:22 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stormyuklondon1
how long before leaving for egypt should you start talking it? im off to Luxor at the beginning of march..
I think he means you buy it from a chemist in Egypt when you get there and start taking it straight away.

Their drugs are differnent to ours to combat different types of germs and bacteria. UK drugs will have no effect.

SetoN
Old 24 January 2011, 03:36 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stormyuklondon1
You can't buy them in the UK because they haven't been through the rigorous UK drugs verification. You can get them in any Egyptian Chemist though.
They work wonders.
Even if you get infected, once you start taking them they sort you out.
Most live-aboards carry a small supply, that's usually used up 2 days into the trip.
Old 24 January 2011, 03:37 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SetoN
I think he means you buy it from a chemist in Egypt when you get there and start taking it straight away.

Their drugs are differnent to ours to combat different types of germs and bacteria. UK drugs will have no effect.

SetoN
That is correct, you can't get them over here (UK).
Old 24 January 2011, 03:43 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

ah, right. i'll make sure to pick some up when i get there, cheers.
Old 24 January 2011, 09:39 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that
Old 24 January 2011, 09:46 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask,can kids take it?(6years old) And the main question,,,,,,can you drink beer?
Old 24 January 2011, 09:47 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I Went to Egypt last July, I gave them English pound coin's and the odd 20 pound Egyptian note, They'd basically worship the ground you walked on after that one recommendation is those wacky baccy tools with the pipe hell It went to my heed after a while But like most Folk I ended up with the ***** after a week

I did the Snorkelling and the deep see diving and was absolutely superb what there is on the corel's
Jeep safari was good fun, Quad biking in the desert was crap to say the least well apart from overtaking one lad who was being a slow **** then being chased by an arab on a dirt bike trying to switch my wuad off for overtaking
Old 25 January 2011, 09:11 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask,can kids take it?(6years old) And the main question,,,,,,can you drink beer?
I'm not sure if kids can take it, but the instructions are in English in the packet so you should be able to tell from that.
You can certainly drink when taking them :-)

Quick Reply: Going T'Egypt in July