Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Abandon ship! Tmobile is about to upset all it's customers!

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2011, 10:47 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abandon ship! Tmobile is about to upset all it's customers!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4...allowance.html

3gb down to 500 mb is not good! If you use the Internet.

I'm not loyal to any company and I think it may be time to jump ship, this has got to be breaking the terms of the contract especially when which and money saving expert get to work on it.......

New phone for me .....maybe....they are going to lose a lot of customers if they proceed with this.
Old 11 January 2011, 10:55 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

didnt orange try changing T&C's like this last year and loads of people got out of contract great if you had just joined you walked away with a brand new handset to sell on Ebay.
Old 12 January 2011, 09:18 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

About time these companies were taught that "contracts" work BOTH ways.

Every time a channel disappears from my Virgin box, I ring them and demand compensation. Works every time. I just tell them I'm off then, since you have broken the contract, I'll be paying you nothing.

They haven't let me go yet.
Old 12 January 2011, 10:17 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i could so easily have a major rant over mobile phone companies

they seem to have under invested in the network for years - mobile coverage has not improved since the turn of the century,

they are actively reducing the mobile signal and then selling domestic boosters wtf

they have ridiculously short ringing times (that are a nightmare to change) this ensures you can never get to the phone to answer it (they make no money that way) forcing you to call the person back (where they make money)

coupled with the generally reduced “phone” functionality my Blackberry is more like an old style pager device then my old Nokia which was a true mobile phone

still can't complain too much as I only have had a work phone for the last 12 years

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 12 January 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12 January 2011, 11:31 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

T-mobile don't even have a proper infrastructure do they? (well, not when compared to O2). Last time I looked it seemed they just leach off Orange's most of the time. Orange probably started pulling some extra strings because everyone with androids/iPhones was sucking up huge amount of bandwidth via thier apps and constant twittering/podcasts/skype/whatever.

When will the industry learn? No point selling a net enabled phone to the masses if the infrastructure/technology can't handle it.

Really, and this may sound daft to you and me, but really mobile operators should charge £1000 fee for 3G/data on smartphones so that it gives them time to fully roll out a network capable of handling it. This would mean only those who "really" want it would use it, and keep bandwidth free. Then when everything is ready, slash the prices to get some money moving.

Instead they got greedy and wanted more moeny too soon, so sold smartphones with data contracts to anyone and everyone, then realised their networks can't handle so many users. Retards.

Smart phones should not have been made mass-market until 4G was rolled out properly, as that has plenty of headroom. I still can't get 3G in my home and whilst I can get 3G at work, they keep blocking youtube vids.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 January 2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12 January 2011, 12:06 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Tmobile have pretty much the best reception, that is why I use them. They share with orange and use "Threes" 3G network which is 3 out of 4 of the main operators.

Its a shame they have gone down this route its going to be very bad for them unless they backtrack.
Old 12 January 2011, 12:12 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
Tmobile have pretty much the best reception, that is why I use them.
Is this a joke, they have terrible reception/coverage. I had no signal in London's west end
Old 12 January 2011, 12:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Is this a joke, they have terrible reception/coverage. I had no signal in London's west end
don't you have your own T-Mobile portable mast/signal booster though

it is only £99.99 and available at all good stockists

here's one below -- the bloke carrying it has just walked behind the hill

Old 12 January 2011, 12:48 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
don't you have your own T-Mobile portable mast/signal booster though

it is only £99.99 and available at all good stockists

here's one below -- the bloke carrying it has just walked behind the hill

Old 12 January 2011, 01:17 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Fuss about nothing for me.... web and email remain unlimited, this is to target video streaming users.

From 1st February 2011 we will be aligning our fair use policies so our mobile internet service will have fair use of 500MB.

What does this mean? - We’ll always let you email and browse the internet and you’ll never pay more than you agree to. We do have a fair use policy but ours is there to make sure we deliver the best service possible to all our customers. This means that you’ll always be able to browse the internet.

So remember our Mobile Broadband and internet on your phone service is best used for browsing which means looking at your favorite websites like Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, BBC News and more, checking your email and looking for information, but not watching videos or downloading files.
Old 12 January 2011, 01:23 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I have to agree, appalling coverage in my experience. Made my phone unusable.
Old 12 January 2011, 01:28 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

How much data is everyone using then? I've just had the bill in for December (a month when I was ill and working from home using the blackberry) during that month I hammered the internet/facebook/emails/bbm etc and my data usage was only 19MB.

A 500MB limit is fine with me
Old 12 January 2011, 01:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

for anyone who may be caught by this, read here,

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2274197/...s-internet-cap

in particular, paragraph 3,

'The regulator also noted that operators must inform customers that they are entitled to terminate their contract without penalty if the change is not acceptable to them.'

so theres no if or butts, offcom says you can walk, so you can walk, also sound slike t-mobile may be in serious hot water for it.

Also so note that 1gb limits have allso been pulled down to 500mb
Old 12 January 2011, 01:47 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

The old bait and switch!
Old 12 January 2011, 01:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
How much data is everyone using then? I've just had the bill in for December (a month when I was ill and working from home using the blackberry) during that month I hammered the internet/facebook/emails/bbm etc and my data usage was only 19MB.

A 500MB limit is fine with me
Lol 500mb is fine with me too, 12 days into the month and I have used 14.07mb of network data.

I'm fine with orange for now.
Old 12 January 2011, 02:05 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

My missus missus was on T-mobile before going to Vodafone, looks like shes lucky she did.
Old 12 January 2011, 02:08 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I travel all over the place and have tried all the networks at one time or another.

Tmobile have there own masts + now have the use of oranges masts and they have the use of "Threes" entire 3G network and there own 3g network.

Three has the biggest 3G network in the UK so it works well for me

Last time I tried an o2 sim it could only get GPRS data signal, I had to check myself to make sure that I was not still in the 90's!

I use between 1gb to 2gb a month, it says you can only browse after you reach the limit but i dont see how they will be able to work this?

Last edited by Scooby Soon!; 12 January 2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12 January 2011, 02:34 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Snazy
Lol 500mb is fine with me too, 12 days into the month and I have used 14.07mb of network data.

I'm fine with orange for now.
Blackberrys are exceptionally good with their data usage though aren't they
Old 12 January 2011, 02:39 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I travel all over the place and have tried all the networks at one time or another.

Tmobile have there own masts + now have the use of oranges masts and they have the use of "Threes" entire 3G network and there own 3g network.

Three has the biggest 3G network in the UK so it works well for me

Last time I tried an o2 sim it could only get GPRS data signal, I had to check myself to make sure that I was not still in the 90's!

I use between 1gb to 2gb a month, it says you can only browse after you reach the limit but i dont see how they will be able to work this?
I have a pal who works for T-Mobile, quite senior. He admits the T-Mobile infrastructure is junk. The orange network is their saviour.

Last edited by what would scooby do; 12 January 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12 January 2011, 02:49 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Oh the irony of their new logo...

Old 12 January 2011, 02:57 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I have a pal who works for T-Mobile, quite senior. He admits the T-Mobile infrastructure is junk. The orange network is their saviour.
yes i have a couple of those friends,

I have one mate that works for o2 he says that there network is rubbish

I also know another guy who works for Vodafone and he says there networks is rubbish.

A person i was talking to this morning who is quite high up in Orange told that there network is rubbish and by being able to share with Tmobile has been there saviour........

Old 12 January 2011, 03:14 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
Blackberrys are exceptionally good with their data usage though aren't they
Got to be good at something, they are crap at everything else, apparently lol.

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Oh the irony of their new logo...

that's the logo for the new joint venture of orange and tmob isn't it. What a stupid name! I hope they have a shortened version for it lol
Old 12 January 2011, 03:22 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

im on the joint system and works ok, only seen it transfer to t-mobile once in 3 months though lol
Old 12 January 2011, 03:34 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snazy
Got to be good at something, they are crap at everything else, apparently lol.

that's the logo for the new joint venture of orange and tmob isn't it. What a stupid name! I hope they have a shortened version for it lol

Revere Everything Whey ?
Old 12 January 2011, 03:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these discussions

Ok, we shall start with O2, they have invested heavily in the last couple of years on 3G, they were the last of the big 4 (3 isnt a big anything so...) to really go for an uprated infrastructure, since they have they have probably the best network out there to date.

Vodafone, one of the 2 big companies that took up 3G early, the other being T mobile, no not 3, they were a little later tbh, so as the guinea pigs it was what the other networks looked at to see if there was money in 3G, and when it first came out there wasnt, not until the "smartphone" came along and now that pushes everyones network hard.
I will add that BT/Cellnet had the first ever 3G network on the Isle of Man.

Orange, the odd one out really, the difference between orange and the other mobile network operators is the fact that they use different kit in their core, and no its not the best, its a little unreliable and the godsend for them is getting in hand with t mobile who's infrastructer is better tbh.

3, well not much to say about these, bit of a mess tbh as they just use 3G, well many people think its great they do but they have nothing else to fall back on, no 2G what so ever, and when 4G comes in they will probably go under as 2G will still be there, 3G will be gone and 4G will be the "data" norm, to date no one has voice over 4g as far as im aware so hence you need a 2G network, something all the rest have.

If you want the best networks in the uk then look at O2 and Voda, even "everything, everywhere" will agree with that.

Signal boosters.... voda trialled them, if you want to see the customer satisfaction then all you have to do is look on voda's customer website, ooooooh, not as good as you think with the ammount of complaints you see!
First of all you need a landline capable of taking broadband, so if your in the middle of nowhere your screwed, secondly they have a very short range, and you also get billed for the extra use down your broadband, so far so good?
When the technology gets better for broadband it will take off, until it does I would suggest leaving the ebay specials alone which state "increase your signal by xx" as they forget to mention the "get fined 5-10k for using said item" as they are not approved.

500mb limits, well it was coming, all will end up doing this, there isnt enough bandwidth for smartphones, they are hungry things hence why you see companies like O2 offering free wifi with the Iphone etc.

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 13 January 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12 January 2011, 04:50 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

It just shows the power of twitter and internet forums.....

T-Mobile Statement:

“On Monday 10 January 2011 we announced that, in line with the rest of the industry, T-Mobile would be reducing its Fair Use Policy for data usage to 500MB a month for all mobile phone customers. Following a further review of our policy, these changes will now be introduced from 1 February, to new and upgrading customers only - not existing customers.

There will be no change to the data packages for existing customers for the duration of their contract and we apologise for any confusion caused. The revision to the Fair Use Policy is designed to ensure an improved quality of service for all mobile internet users."

Lysa Hardy, VP, T-Mobile UK

Information on new data policy:

From 1 February 2011 new and upgrading customers will be given a monthly 500MB data allowance. There will be no charge for those customers exceeding that limit, and those who do will still be able to access important services such as email and web browsing, however file downloading and streaming services will be restricted. Customers will then have the option to increase their monthly Fair Use Policy to 1GB a month by purchasing a Mobile Broadband Booster. This will ensure an improved quality of service for all of our mobile internet users.
PR DISASTER!
Old 12 January 2011, 06:13 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

These days it's actually pretty easy for an ISP to block video streaming and still allow ordinary websites, so long as they've invested in the right technology. I'm guessing TMobile must have done, or they'd be mad to announce the fact they're going to try this.

The main ways of doing it are for their servers to check the 'content-type' HTTP header of the thing you're trying to download, or check if it's using one of the recognized streaming protocols (RTSP, RTMP, MMS, etc), or check it against a content-filtering database and see if it's classed as 'streaming' there (or some combination of all three). All very straightforward if their system's setup right, and definitely not worth your while trying to hack a way around it if you went over the limit.

It seems all that's pretty moot now though, after the major back-pedallling effort they just announced