Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Changing surname

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2011, 09:30 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing surname

Has anyone changed their surname on here recently. I wish to do it for personal reasons before my son is born in March (as I do not want him to have my current surname)... I'm not after suggestions but wondering is it really as easy as downloading a pdf. file on the net, printing it off and having it signed by a witness

Seems cheap, as low as £6.95 on one site.

Whats involved afterwards? Do you need to send for a new birth certificate to send to the DVLA, passport people, banks, water company etc? really a minefield I'm trying to delve through.

TIA ladies and gents
Old 10 January 2011, 09:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

You won't be issued a new birth certificate as it never changes. I imagine changing your name over on all cards and bills etc will be a pain.
Old 10 January 2011, 09:45 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Chocolate_O_Star does has a certain ring to it, don't you think? Your son will be well pleased.
Old 10 January 2011, 09:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
You won't be issued a new birth certificate as it never changes. I imagine changing your name over on all cards and bills etc will be a pain.

Suspect it will be. I'm more puzzled by the legal side of it. Loking on various sites saying to download the form and then sign it seems very simple to me. Is it just a case of sending this form off to every company afterwards to tell them? Seems to easy for the UK
Old 10 January 2011, 09:55 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed my surname a few years ago.I went into a solicitor and it was about £20.
For this,I was given about 10 declarations issued by the solicitor-stamped "original".This had my previous name and signature and new name and signature upon it.
You are then free to use your new name,which is a bit strange at first,but after a few weeks,it seems quite natural!
The rest is just a paperwork exercise of telling everyone-I would make a list to start with and rank them in degrees of importance-ie passport,driving licence,bank,bill companies,work et al.Most of the important ones,will want one of the "original" stamped copies.Take lots of copies and keep an original stamped copy to hand at all times,to avoid any problems if you get pulled by the Police whilst driving.
Your original birth certificate will remain the same afaik as that was the name that you were born with...
Re getting it done on line-its like having a will-it can be done on-line,but to make sure that its all above board,I would have a solicitor to give it the once over,to make sure.Why not spend a little extra,get a solicitor to do it and they can answer any issues that you may have-should there be any-took me about half an hour to sort out btw!
As you can tell,I'm no expert,but hope this helps
Old 10 January 2011, 09:57 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

be careful - I took my daughter to have mine and her name changed by deed poll at a solicitor, paid for it got the legal docs all signed for and then found out years later my daughter is not allowed a passport in her "now" name she can only be issued with it under birth name believe me its caused hell of a lot of problems so make sure however you do it its done properly
Old 10 January 2011, 09:57 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

You gonna take the Mrs Surname?

I wish we all had the same name
Old 10 January 2011, 09:58 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe, in law, your surname is simply what you are commonly known as - nothing more

as has been stated you can not retrospectivley change your birth cirtificate

and the Deedpoll is just a convinenent admin tool -- that allows you to easily change it with regards to Banks, Utility companies etc

in essence it is the same as a wife taking a husbands surname or vica versa

good luck Mr Hardon

(for all sorts of obvious legal reason children are treated differently)

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 January 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10 January 2011, 10:02 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I did it a few years ago - was quite easy.

Jose Manuel Rodriguez III was a bit of a mouthfull.

Old 10 January 2011, 10:08 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Angel
be careful - I took my daughter to have mine and her name changed by deed poll at a solicitor, paid for it got the legal docs all signed for and then found out years later my daughter is not allowed a passport in her "now" name she can only be issued with it under birth name believe me its caused hell of a lot of problems so make sure however you do it its done properly
Dont know what went wrong there-Ive not had any issues and I've updated my passport-just sent one of the "original" forms.Pot luck,i guess.
Old 10 January 2011, 10:08 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
You gonna take the Mrs Surname?

I wish we all had the same name
If you're from Norfolk you most probably have.

Old 10 January 2011, 10:12 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
If you're from Norfolk you most probably have.

Lol, the Norfolk collective?
Old 10 January 2011, 10:14 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I would like to change mine to Poppadom.
Old 10 January 2011, 10:18 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I will write a list of people who need to know. Then contact a couple of local solicitors. I was concerned that it would take weeks and cost a fortune.

Thanks for the advice and pms guys
Old 10 January 2011, 10:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

COB you getting rid of your **** name now you are going to be a responsible parent :-)
Old 10 January 2011, 10:23 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Can you not give your new born child whichever surname you like, maiden name or married name? Is like when you get married you do not have to change your name. Might be totally wrong but worth asking the question.
Old 10 January 2011, 10:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I know what I wish my surname to be and me and the mrs have decided the baby will have this name when born. Then when we marry her name will change to mine and the babys. She actually wanted me to do this and I agreed as the surname I have now has no value family wise.
Old 10 January 2011, 10:29 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby1975
Can you not give your new born child whichever surname you like, maiden name or married name? Is like when you get married you do not have to change your name. Might be totally wrong but worth asking the question.
The child can take the mother or fathers surname. But it's easier if you all have the same name if you are not married.
If the child has the mothers name, and then the parents marry, the father has to do a type of legal adoption. I am not 100% though, and things might have changed now.
Old 10 January 2011, 10:34 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

My surname got changed by a solicitor when o was young, it was a right pain in the **** when I got married abroad
Old 11 January 2011, 09:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Andy: even if you change your name to Windsor, the Queen STILL won't invite you round, you know.
Old 11 January 2011, 09:52 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Andy: even if you change your name to Windsor, the Queen STILL won't invite you round, you know.
If you change it to Norton or Winton, one of those queens may invite you round.
Old 11 January 2011, 10:24 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I always thought that you can call yourself what you like, with a name change there is all the irritations of changing everything. Hell of a business I'd say.

Les
Old 11 January 2011, 10:48 AM
room 512
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billyray911
Dont know what went wrong there-Ive not had any issues and I've updated my passport-just sent one of the "original" forms.Pot luck,i guess.
My step daughter changed her name via Deed Poll as well and she didn't have any problems changing her passport, just filled in a new form, sent the old passport off with a copy of the deed poll and got a new passport back, same with her driving licence.
Old 11 January 2011, 04:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Really? ah ****
Old 11 January 2011, 04:54 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed my Christan name when I was 7, not legally just decided to do it, Mum was happy as my Father had registered my birth whilst she was still in hospital and she wasn't that happy with his choice went against what they had decided, we just told the school, Dr's etc I was now known as my new name.

I managed to get a passport, driving license, NI number, Bank account, married, the lot without an issue all under my assumed name, looking back god knows how I managed it because as soon as I applied for a marriage license for my 2nd wedding in Mauritius some 30 years later it became an issue, that said £27 later and a trip to the Royal Courts of Justice it was all sorted and published in the London Gazette of which they sent me a copy, very easy process.

I still wonder how on earth I managed to get everything I did in my assumed name without any official body asking questions, it took the tiny island of Mauritius to bring my double life to an end
Old 11 January 2011, 05:00 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

LOL, just searched my name on the London Gazette website and it came up straight away

"a British Citizen under section 11(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981 abandoned the name of ***** ****** ***** and assumed the name of Funkii Munkii"

Abandoned, sounds pretty harsh !!
Old 11 January 2011, 05:45 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
I changed my Christan name when I was 7, not legally just decided to do it, Mum was happy as my Father had registered my birth whilst she was still in hospital and she wasn't that happy with his choice went against what they had decided, we just told the school, Dr's etc I was now known as my new name.

I managed to get a passport, driving license, NI number, Bank account, married, the lot without an issue all under my assumed name, looking back god knows how I managed it because as soon as I applied for a marriage license for my 2nd wedding in Mauritius some 30 years later it became an issue, that said £27 later and a trip to the Royal Courts of Justice it was all sorted and published in the London Gazette of which they sent me a copy, very easy process.

I still wonder how on earth I managed to get everything I did in my assumed name without any official body asking questions, it took the tiny island of Mauritius to bring my double life to an end

lol exactly what i was going to say,

do you get mail addressed to Mr Funkii

Mart
Old 11 January 2011, 06:12 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Nah just F.Munkii
Old 11 January 2011, 06:55 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
before my son is born in March (as I do not want him to have my current surname)
What are you planning on calling him?

Sweet?
Old 11 January 2011, 07:05 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

No family value? bloody hell what is it? Glitter?

Quick Reply: Changing surname