Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is my water company Liable??

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2002, 08:08 AM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Turnt on my dishwasher last night & walked away. About 10 mins later, I discovered that we had no cold water on any tap?! Phoned the water company, who knew about the problem......the had to cut the supply for some reason. Checked the dishwasher and its wasn't going, so i switched it off.

Now my dishwasher is refusing to start......I guess the lack of water pressure screwed it as some point.

I've gotta get an engineer out and thats gonna cost me!!! Am I entitled to compensation for the water board?

Thanks

Matt.
Old 11 April 2002, 09:57 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I don't think so, they only have to inform you if the water is going to be off over a certain period. Check with them how long the water was off and what there period of notification is.
Old 11 April 2002, 10:07 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

I got compensation from my water board when they dug up the road and I got a stone lodged in my boiler [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I paid for someone to fix it and they compensated me for it. Definately complain
Old 11 April 2002, 10:09 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Although, you obviously have to prove that they are responsible first If they gave you plenty of prior warning then you probably won't be able to claim.
Old 11 April 2002, 10:34 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

They are not obliged to provide you a water supply , but if you make enough noise they will probably cough up as a goodwill gesture (IE - to get you to shut up)
Old 11 April 2002, 01:11 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

I had no warning!!!

How can they not be obliged???..........what am I paying for then?
Old 11 April 2002, 03:23 PM
phd
Scooby Regular

Matt,
Water companies do have obligations which are set out in the Water act (1989) and Utilities Act 1992.

Where I live, the "commitment" and obligations are set out in a customer charter. For my area they read as follows:

[Interruptions
If we have to carry out any planned work we will give you 48 hours notice in writing if the interruption is likely to last more than four hours and we will get your supply back on by the time we say we will.

In an emergency (like a burst main) we will get your supply back on as quickly as possible - we guarantee to get it back on within 12 hours. If the emergency involves a repair on a trunk main it may take a little longer but we will get your supply back on within 48 hours.

If we fail to meet any of these time limits you can claim a payment of £20 and an extra £10 for each further period of 24 hours that your supply is off. If you are a business you can claim a payment of £50 and an extra £25 for each further period of 24 hours that your supply is off.

Droughts
If we have to interrupt or cut off the water supply to your property, because of a Drought Order, we will pay you automatically:

£10 a day if you are a household (up to a limit of last year's
average household water charges), or
£50 a day if you are a business (up to a limit of what you paid for water for the premises last year or up to £500 if you were not liable for those charges).

Low pressure
If the water pressure, at the end of our part of the service pipe, falls exceptionally below normal, please let us know. We can then check

blah blah blah.

Check if your supplier has a website where their charter is displayed, you may also find the complaints procedure there.

Pete