Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

2010... Thanks and goodbye? Or good riddance?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010... Thanks and goodbye? Or good riddance?

2010... Well, what a year of mixed emotions that has been!

I started the year in a pretty low place mentally, being almost sure, having tried our hardest with counselling etc, that my marriage was about to end. Well, in mid January the time came for me to sink to an all time low and watch my wife and child move out of the family home. That was devastating and pretty much ruled my head for the next few months.

We all move on, and I am a firm believer that there is no shame in going down, there is only shame in not getting back up, so I eventually picked myself back up and threw myself into ensuring I could re-mortgage my home and essentially buy Nicole out of what was rightfully hers to ensure that she had enough to start a new life with. Sounds easy, but try getting an 85% re-mortgaging as a single and self employed man just after a recession had hit... for quite some time it looked like i would have to sell the house and take the £50K depreciation hit.

Thankfully, it all came good and I took sole ownership of my own home again and Nicole moved into a lovely new place with Ella, very close to my own home so access is literally 3 Min's by car and ten by foot. To top it all, we have buried all our demons and get on very well together, including both new partners. Winner Winner!

After a hard year of business problems in one form and another, many derived from the recession and a big risk we took with advertising, everything finally came together for us with a record year of sales for Motorsport Developments. This is thanks mainly to Steve and James, my excellent and very hard working and rarely praised staff. thanks guys.

My personal business aims and objectives were all met for the first time ever which is a bonus too considering how crap the year began, and I am pleased to say that I have just taken on my middle daughter Stephanie, to deal with mail order and things are looking bright there too. (Sorry for anyone who got wrong parts this last month, its a steep learning curve for a young lady! )

The most interesting point of the year however has yet to be revealed... Rewind back to summer and a night out with a mate... I was at a bar called the Che bar and was nudged in the ribs by a short bird trying to squeeze in at the bar. I made a quip of some form and we got chatting, well, this lady blew me away and we have been pretty much inseparable ever since and has been my rock through some pretty tricky times too.
Mandy is a nurse, so is pretty adept at dealing with emotional ********, i guess thats why we get on so well. LOL.

So, that pretty much sums up my roller-coaster of a year.
Thanks to all my family and friends for being there when i needed you this year. You all know who you are, and I am surprised to say there weren't many of you. However, tough times always bring out the true mates and with all your help I think I finally have the measure of things... It has taken me 39 years to settle into my stride but look out for me next year as 2011 is going to be my year and you will all be rewarded in your times of need. *

As for the rest of em... well, I guess we will meet again next time they want something, same as always. No matter what the year, some things never ever change eh? Happy New year everyone, hang in there, you never know whats around the corner, no matter how crap things might have seemed yesterday.

So, how has 2010 been for you?

*Most dont use the forums, i am just typing aloud.
Old 31 December 2010, 06:05 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

better than some ????
Old 31 December 2010, 06:07 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

uplifting story Stu. glad things worked out for you...like you said, life aint mapped out and nobody knows what's around the corner.

my 2010 was very similar to yours, like you i didnt give up and have all who matters around me now after i had made some bad judgements and screwed my life up. here's hoping 2011 is a better year.
Old 31 December 2010, 06:14 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Glad to see it's worked out for you both, life's a pretty funny thing... one minute you're down and can't see the wood for the tree's and the next you're soaring with eagles... or visa versa depending on your luck!

DCI Goodbye 2010
Old 31 December 2010, 06:25 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

all i can say is to 2010 one of the worse and longest years of my life, 2010 goodbye and 2011 i welcome you
Old 31 December 2010, 06:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad to hear things are looking up for you Stu.

I'm saying NOWT about 2010, OR 2011. I made that mistake two years ago, and suffered a slipped disc on 30th Dec 2008 that has TOTALLY changed my life for the worse.

Last edited by alcazar; 31 December 2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 31 December 2010, 06:29 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
all i can say is to 2010 one of the worse and longest years of my life, 2010 goodbye and 2011 i welcome you
actually...i wish i had just said that now as it says it all!
Old 31 December 2010, 06:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Kindle...
Old 31 December 2010, 06:38 PM
--------
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Glad to hear things are looking up for you Stu.

I'm saying NOWT about 2010, OR 2011. I made that mistake two years ago, and suffered a slipped disc on 30th Dec 2008 that has TOTALLY changed my life for the worse.
Be honest, if you are working class (manual labour) would you happily start clearing a runway (so middle/upper class peeps could go on their holidays??) of snow, bearing in mind you were on minimum wage (or there abouts) with absoloutly NO medical benefits,i.e you got SSP when off sick (£79 pwk MAX). Just curious thats all!!
Old 31 December 2010, 06:45 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

2010 has been a rubbish year the wife lost her best mate and 4 off her other friends have died aswell and tu top it off my mum got incurable cancer in november and the worst is a friend off ours died on christmas day due to cancer leaving a little lad glad to see it go hope 2011 is better
Old 31 December 2010, 06:54 PM
Hongkongfooi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
2010 has been a rubbish year the wife lost her best mate and 4 off her other friends have died aswell and tu top it off my mum got incurable cancer in november and the worst is a friend off ours died on christmas day due to cancer leaving a little lad glad to see it go hope 2011 is better
crikey that is bad...makes my crappy year seem a good one compared!

good riddance 2010!
Old 31 December 2010, 06:55 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Life is life and i take what it deals out. 2010 was just another year and 2011 is just another. I accept whatever plays out for me.
As it happens, Jan 2011 is when i get Married so i guess this year may go down as a bloody good one
Old 31 December 2010, 06:58 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

It's been a VERY mixed year for me - some excellent highs, let down by all too frequent lows.
On a plus side, as a demonstration of defiance, Wifey and I are still here and happy. Kids are happy. We're all pretty healthy.

But I certainly won't be sad to see 2010 go - life could have been MUCH easier and stress-free.

I have great expectations for 2011 - starting with strong focus right now.

Good luck to you/us all!

Dan
Old 31 December 2010, 07:02 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

2010 was sh1te roll on 2011
Old 31 December 2010, 07:18 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

2010 has been absolutely **** and I don't hold much hope for 2011 being any better, infact pound to a pinch of **** its gonna be much worse.

I miss 2007, best year i've ever had from start to finish.
Old 31 December 2010, 07:22 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Was certainly a very sh*t end of year
Old 31 December 2010, 07:23 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Bit of both really. Work wise its been crap being stuck in a dead end job with a so called team leader I can't stand. Still got another 4 months before I find out if I can move depts or I leave the company.

Got co-opted into being a committee member for an org I belong to, and have a good challenge of turning its newsletter into a proper gossy mag. I'm actually looking forward to that!

Been made to realize by 2 girls at work (quite aprubtly) that its about time I started trusting the female of the species again after the ho of an ex, and stop being as they termed it a "Charlie Harper"

So lets see what 2011 brings
Old 31 December 2010, 07:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Not a great year for me. Moved back to the UK from Australia, still trying to fit myself back in here. Changed companies also, not sure if that was 100% the right decision though and I work with some utter ********* ATM.

I hurt my shoulder in May which is what really made the year so bad. Was in constant pain for months and unable to sleep well and do stuff. Made me in a **** mood all day. It's slowly getting better but I emphasis SLOW.

Aim next year is so keep rehabbing my shoulder, and save money until the end of next year when I plan to buy a house.

Get my Skyline on the road also.

Stop being negative w/ women too.
Old 31 December 2010, 07:35 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

2010 has been an indiferent year for me. Not too bad overall though.

Dreading 2011 though. As I could be going onto 3 day weeks as early as the next couple of weeks, and then eventually redundancy if our work load doesn't pick up.
Old 31 December 2010, 08:10 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dad died plenty of other sh1tty things happened but that alone has to make it the worst year of my life.
Old 31 December 2010, 08:13 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
£50K
What were you trying to re-mortgage? The whole of Blackpool??

Glad things are looking up for you, Stu.
Old 31 December 2010, 08:17 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofturds
Dad died plenty of other sh1tty things happened but that alone has to make it the worst year of my life.
On a brighter note, the Toon battered the Muckems.
Old 31 December 2010, 09:06 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil

Hear hear. Roll on 2011. New year, new decade.
Old 31 December 2010, 09:40 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Dreadful year as my wife was diagnosed with cancer. 2011 can only get better.

Heres to good health next year.

Chip
Old 31 December 2010, 10:36 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
2010... Well, what a year of mixed emotions that has been!

I started the year in a pretty low place mentally, being almost sure, having tried our hardest with counselling etc, that my marriage was about to end. Well, in mid January the time came for me to sink to an all time low and watch my wife and child move out of the family home. That was devastating and pretty much ruled my head for the next few months.

We all move on, and I am a firm believer that there is no shame in going down, there is only shame in not getting back up, so I eventually picked myself back up and threw myself into ensuring I could re-mortgage my home and essentially buy Nicole out of what was rightfully hers to ensure that she had enough to start a new life with. Sounds easy, but try getting an 85% re-mortgaging as a single and self employed man just after a recession had hit... for quite some time it looked like i would have to sell the house and take the £50K depreciation hit.

Thankfully, it all came good and I took sole ownership of my own home again and Nicole moved into a lovely new place with Ella, very close to my own home so access is literally 3 Min's by car and ten by foot. To top it all, we have buried all our demons and get on very well together, including both new partners. Winner Winner!

After a hard year of business problems in one form and another, many derived from the recession and a big risk we took with advertising, everything finally came together for us with a record year of sales for Motorsport Developments. This is thanks mainly to Steve and James, my excellent and very hard working and rarely praised staff. thanks guys.

My personal business aims and objectives were all met for the first time ever which is a bonus too considering how crap the year began, and I am pleased to say that I have just taken on my middle daughter Stephanie, to deal with mail order and things are looking bright there too. (Sorry for anyone who got wrong parts this last month, its a steep learning curve for a young lady! )

The most interesting point of the year however has yet to be revealed... Rewind back to summer and a night out with a mate... I was at a bar called the Che bar and was nudged in the ribs by a short bird trying to squeeze in at the bar. I made a quip of some form and we got chatting, well, this lady blew me away and we have been pretty much inseparable ever since and has been my rock through some pretty tricky times too.
Mandy is a nurse, so is pretty adept at dealing with emotional ********, i guess thats why we get on so well. LOL.

So, that pretty much sums up my roller-coaster of a year.
Thanks to all my family and friends for being there when i needed you this year. You all know who you are, and I am surprised to say there weren't many of you. However, tough times always bring out the true mates and with all your help I think I finally have the measure of things... It has taken me 39 years to settle into my stride but look out for me next year as 2011 is going to be my year and you will all be rewarded in your times of need. *

As for the rest of em... well, I guess we will meet again next time they want something, same as always. No matter what the year, some things never ever change eh? Happy New year everyone, hang in there, you never know whats around the corner, no matter how crap things might have seemed yesterday.

So, how has 2010 been for you?

*Most dont use the forums, i am just typing aloud.

I've never been ashamed to go down. Actually some of my most proud moments have been when I've gone down on the right woman
Old 01 January 2011, 06:57 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

This year we have lost
my mam
my wifes dad
my sons best mate (17)
a freind (41)
and the brother inlaw has terminal cancer

will i be glad to see the back of 2010..what do you think?

I am positive about 2011 im going to make it a goodyear try and enjoy and make more of my life
Old 01 January 2011, 08:11 AM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Good year for me - healthy daughter was born and managed to avoid the job losses doing the rounds in the public sector. Might look to change jobs in 2011 so hopefully will be a good year!
Old 01 January 2011, 08:27 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Really glad things are starting to turn a corner and work out for you Stu.

From my pov - health deteriorated quite a bit - been in and out of hospital at least once every two weeks - awaiting a heart op in Oxford which should sort me and return me to rude health so i can get on with my life which has been on hold for some time. It has been tough on the family especially the kids finding me collapsed and unconscious in a pool of blood. Jenny though i was dead! Not something you want your kids or better half to see or have to live with. At least they are all healthy

Onwards and upwards mate in 2011 and beyond!

Last edited by The Zohan; 01 January 2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01 January 2011, 09:04 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

2010 was a good year for me, I got married, managed to stay employed & shook off an annoying elbow injury that had been going on for 18 Months.

2011 isn't looking as Rosie with impending contract end in March, but on the upside we are looking at moving to Holland. Will just have to wait & see. I hope '11 is a good year for all my fellow Snetters
Old 01 January 2011, 09:06 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well 2010 - were's it gone

I got back from Afghanistan Christmas Eve 2009 after 6-months away and started a new position in work on 24 Jan - seen plenty of the world, been exceptionally busy, cracked half of my PG Dip heading towards my masters degree, but seems like it was only yesterday that I was recovering from 6-months away.

As for next, I mean this, year, finish my PG Dip and/or get redundancy. I would actually like redundancy as we would use the opportunity to start a new life somewhere warm and sunny

Quick Reply: 2010... Thanks and goodbye? Or good riddance?