Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone experianed a council tax cockup?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2010, 09:58 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experianed a council tax cockup?

Got home from work last night to find a letter from my council on my door mat. Gist of it is, they want to take me to court for non payment of council tax. Of course councils don't work anywhere near normal hours so nigh on impossible to sort anything out till monday . Not happy as this means I now have to take a day off work, and due to the industry I work in, this could mean I get suspended

They also starte, they have written to me, well I've recieved jack all off them inc no reposnce to my letter stating how bad my local raods are (funny that).

However, me being me, I have kept all the emailed receipts showing that I have paid, I've just printed them all off ready for the fight on Monday, and there will be a fight with out a shadow of a doubt, they are casting doubts on my employment.

Anyone lese been on the non to funny recieving end of a **** up for the council and what was the outcome? As you can imagine, I'm a little stress head at the moment.
Old 18 December 2010, 10:00 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If your right who cares, let them waste loads of cash chasing you for a payment you already have proof of as its not your problem its theirs
Old 18 December 2010, 10:02 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Yup I have been asking for the account to be put in my name since sept/oct. Got a letter the other day to say ta daaaaa done it.... You owe us £600 NOW!
Tried calling them up but just got through to a babbling idiot!

Bill due Jan 1st. Other issues complicate the matters too, as they have cancelled mums benefits because it's too hard for them to work out.
Old 18 December 2010, 10:04 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
If your right who cares, let them waste loads of cash chasing you for a payment you already have proof of as its not your problem its theirs

Me, cos it effects my job!!!!
Old 18 December 2010, 10:20 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

A lot of councils are having their budgets cut by central government, thanks to the country's impressive debt mountain, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is a case of them getting their revenge in early on the public who pay their wages. (Who wants to bet they've sent hundreds or thousands of these same letters out, knowing full well a lot of people who receive them will either be too busy or feel too intimidated to dispute it, and just pay up?)

Like Dave says, if you've got full receipts of everything you've paid, send them the proof and then let them do the running. No need at all to let their stupidity cause any disruption to your life.
Old 18 December 2010, 11:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Me, cos it effects my job!!!!
Send them photocopies of all the receipts etc. by registered post so that when they sign for the letter they cannot deny that they received it.

No reason why you should have to chase around for them taking a day off work etc. when they have screwed up.

Les

Trending Topics

Old 18 December 2010, 12:28 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Send them photocopies of all the receipts etc. by registered post so that when they sign for the letter they cannot deny that they received it.

No reason why you should have to chase around for them taking a day off work etc. when they have screwed up.

Les
Exactly. Problem should be solved. I wouldn't put your job at risk to try and resolve something like this which should be cleared up by a simple phone call or letter.
Old 18 December 2010, 04:11 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Ohmygod! This brought back bad memories........This happened to me about 10 years ago. Suddenly had a court summons sent to my HR department. I had had absolutely NO previous correspondence. When I spoke to the (incredibly rude) bloke from the council, he said they'd been trying to get in touch with me and I had obviously ignored all their previous letters (which, as I pointed out was bollocks, because if that was the case, they could have tried to reach me through the HR dept. beforehand). He said it was because of (and I quote.....) 'people like you, that the council tax is high for the people that DO bother to pay'.

Now. I rarely lose my temper, but I remember Mr OS saying that I went white with anger. Thing is, luckily for me, I'm a hoarder, so I still had all my payment books (I forgot to say this all happened 5 years after I'd moved out of the house they were saying I hadn't paid for). It still took me a lot of phone calls to the council and solicitor to sort it out. The arrogance of the **** I had to deal with, was ******* inspirational!

Anyway...........finally got it sorted (although I had to pay the money to avoid court, then claim it back), and wrote to the bloke to say that I would be willing to accept his apology.
Old 18 December 2010, 04:27 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a letter like that saying I was due them £600 from when I moved into a new house, same band. Then I phoned them and said I paid it every month by direct debit and a couple of weeks later they sent me through a letter saying that I owed £0. If I didn't query it then I would of probably paid it and would they have sent it back if they noticed the over payment( seriously doubt it). Hope you get it sorted mate but try and fight them all the way.

Biggest waste of money to date!!

Doug
Old 18 December 2010, 04:35 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

I remember at the time, thinking what if I had been an old person, with no-one to turn to? It was horrible and frightening, and they were completely wrong and very threatening. It makes you feel like you're in Gilliam's 'Brazil'.
Old 18 December 2010, 04:54 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
Not happy as this means I now have to take a day off work, and due to the industry I work in, this could mean I get suspended

Why do you need to take a day off? Can you not do it in your lunch break?

Chip
Old 10 March 2012, 01:34 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got home today to find a letter waiting me from the council issuing me with a court summons over the sum of £13.29 plus the court fees of £35. No previous warnings received Seems a joke to me that they are adding nearly 3 times of the cost of what they are chasing in court fees.
Old 10 March 2012, 10:04 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Default Ah, reminds me of the time...

... when Brent council refused to let me pay council tax as they said my flat had been demolished. Funny I said, looks okay to me as I'm standing in it.

Took months to sort that out (they really wouldn't believe that it wasn't demolished - all they had to do was drive round and look at it and the significant lack of rubble). Then they got arsey that I was well behind with the payments for that year. Ah, the joy.
Old 10 March 2012, 10:30 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

It wasn't just me who was on the receiving end of this type of incompetence then.

Had letter through with court date etc. Talked them through direct debits etc. All up to date. 0 owing.

Last month, we got a refund. Law unto themselves.
Old 12 March 2012, 02:04 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I went into the council offices today and paid the £13.29. I stated that I will not be paying the £35 court costs as I was not warned that I owed anything and as far as I was aware I had paid the money. I was told that regardless of whose error it was, the money was still outstanding and had to be paid. Failure to do so can ultimately end up with action from the bailiffs or 90 days in jail.

******* bunch of jokers