Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

School rant - my turn!

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2010, 11:21 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default School rant - my turn!

Wife gets a call from the school this morning.

The following is over two phone calls with me racing up to the school in blind panic!!!

"Why isn't *** in school today"

"she is"

"No, she isn't"

"Her dad dropped her off this morning, she should be there"

"She's not on the register"

"have you looked?"

"No"

"Don't you think you should?"

"Do you know how long it would take to check each classroom?"

"Do you realise what your basically telling me that my daughter is missing?"

"We'll send someone to check.........she is here"

No f*cking sorry, no f*cking sorry to scare the bejesus out of you. Wife called when they said she wasn't in to check if I had her - wife thought I was playing when I said no.

I went to the school and was told they dont' check each class as it would take too long - fair enough I said but to them its 20 minutes checking each class to me its 20 minutes of f*cking panic thinking my daughter is missing.

She wasn't on the register as she was late in this morning. No one checks, no one asks the teachers - straight on the phone to the parents. What the F*ck are they thinking!
Old 17 December 2010, 11:28 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8/10 for the rant
Old 17 December 2010, 11:30 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You would think that a teacher taking the register would also notice if the child was there even if they did not answer to their name being called.

If they still thought the child is missing then a visual check of the classroom should be next. failing this another visual check and verbal calling of the child's name to establish the child's whereabouts.

Not difficult, time consuming of clever - just common sense or so you would think.
Old 17 December 2010, 11:43 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

What a **** up over something that could have been sorted in 30 seconds if checked on!

I bet you were in a right state! All sorts would have been going through my mind!
Old 17 December 2010, 11:58 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

We got there just after 9am. She's been much later than that this week at about 9.10am but we forgot her violin. I didn't think it would be an issue and we are usually about 8.55am.

From now on, as Bravo says, anything over 9am I'll take her to the office first. My biggest issue was that there was no apology and no real understanding of just how serious this incident could have been. I was a flaming mess driving to the school - a week before christmas and she's gone missing!! When the adrenaline subsided I felt a bit upset.
Old 17 December 2010, 12:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In my day if you were too late for registration, you had to go to reception to be registered.

Nobody bothered though - usually our form tutor would marks us there during lunch registration, with the usual verbal ear bashing
Old 17 December 2010, 12:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
I'm not surprised. Also as a primary school child it's not exactly likely she would be in any other class than her own so for them to say it would take too long to check each class is just not valid, they only need to check with her teacher initially.

I find so many of the teachers/other staff can be so unhelpful at times or just down right condescending talking to you like one of their pupils. Seems to be a common issue with schools being unhelpful.
I do see their point that it would take time but 20 minutes of checking or 20 minutes of panic - doesn't really seem a fair trade.

Its also unfortunate that the LSA I spoke to is the same one who called me to pick our daughter up after being hit in the head with a foam ball - you know the big soft ***** that don't hurt. Again, I can see their point in this society of sue first ask question later.

Because I can understand why they do the things they do - even though I don't agree - which stops me giving them a proper flea in the ear. I will have a quiet word with the head teacher, have alot of respect for him and he appears to display that quality which seems to completely escape most teachers - common sense.
Old 17 December 2010, 12:40 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I have 3 kids & at every school they attended the procedure for being late was to go to the office first to ensure the school knew you were there.
I expect this is the case at your school as kids being late would cause similar chaos every day.

Have you checked they have a system for checking in late?
Old 17 December 2010, 01:24 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
In my day if you were too late for registration, you had to go to reception to be registered.

Nobody bothered though - usually our form tutor would marks us there during lunch registration, with the usual verbal ear bashing

In my day, if you were late, nothing happened. You just turned up late, went to class, slammed your bag on the desk, sighed, then slumped down and wished you were still at home.
Old 17 December 2010, 02:06 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I blame the violin for making her late
Old 17 December 2010, 02:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Wife gets a call from the school this morning.

The following is over two phone calls with me racing up to the school in blind panic!!!

"Why isn't *** in school today"

"she is"

"No, she isn't"

"Her dad dropped her off this morning, she should be there"

"She's not on the register"

"have you looked?"

"No"

"Don't you think you should?"

"Do you know how long it would take to check each classroom?"

"Do you realise what your basically telling me that my daughter is missing?"

"We'll send someone to check.........she is here"

No f*cking sorry, no f*cking sorry to scare the bejesus out of you. Wife called when they said she wasn't in to check if I had her - wife thought I was playing when I said no.

I went to the school and was told they dont' check each class as it would take too long - fair enough I said but to them its 20 minutes checking each class to me its 20 minutes of f*cking panic thinking my daughter is missing.

She wasn't on the register as she was late in this morning. No one checks, no one asks the teachers - straight on the phone to the parents. What the F*ck are they thinking!
I would be speaking to Ofsted by now!

Les
Old 17 December 2010, 02:58 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
It beggars belief how she was at school yet nobody knew she was there.

My sons school doesn't allow access anyway other than reception after the second bell/doors closing.
Old 17 December 2010, 03:26 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les