Great news for all the police haters

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2010, 04:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great news for all the police haters

Two less on the street!

Speedy recovery to them both, and life in prison for the youths I say!

Stabbed and slashed....... Over a bus pass!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12003691
Old 15 December 2010, 05:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well he may have been psychotic of course , why were they searching people for tickets at a bus stop
Old 15 December 2010, 05:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Occured during a stop and search apparently.
Cop and a pcso both injured. Cop slashed in the throat but will be ok, pcso received multiple injuries.

The safer transport program has been running for some time now.
He was apparently recognised as a wanted person which is when it kicked off.
Old 15 December 2010, 05:10 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by dpb
Well he may have been psychotic of course , why were they searching people for tickets at a bus stop
Maybe (and i am just spit-balling here) they where checking to see who had tickets and where travelling legally or not
Old 15 December 2010, 05:15 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Maybe (and i am just spit-balling here) they where checking to see who had tickets and where travelling legally or not
Didn't realise you needed a ticket to stand at a bus stop.

When did that come in - was it the same time it was made illegal to say "rubbish" at the Labour party conference
Old 15 December 2010, 05:24 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Great news...

Two less on the street!

Are you saying it is great news that
"A Pc has been slashed in the neck and his injuries are said to be life-threatening"
or not?
Old 15 December 2010, 05:29 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey

When did that come in - was it the same time it was made illegal to say "rubbish" at the Labour party conference
I believe the safer transport scheme was brought in about 2-3 years ago now. Giving the police powers to challenge people travelling and wishing to travel on public transport.

Apparently during the said stop and search, he was recognised as a wanted person.

Originally Posted by SRSport
Are you saying it is great news that
"A Pc has been slashed in the neck and his injuries are said to be life-threatening"
or not?
No, I'm being sarcastic, hence the title of the thread. Thought all the people that whine about the police might get some pleasure from knowing 2 have been hurt.

As I went on to say, speed recovery to them both, and hope the person who did it lands life.
Old 15 December 2010, 05:34 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hope officers recover fully.

It wasn't "youths" but a 30 year old man.

I don't understand the need to have a ticket at a bus stop either - what's that all about?

dl
Old 15 December 2010, 05:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yup i stand at bus stops all the time for the sheer hell of it, everybody does...don't they?!?

Ok to expand a little. In London they run the oyster travel card system which allows people to travel using the card to pay for journeys in and around London. The Oyster card is loaded with credit and debited when used.
Funnily enough there are some people who steal the cards (sometimes using force/violence) or get them fraudulently, also use ID theft to get them along with credit cards etc - they also can claim to be studing/under sixteen and or at school to get free/subsidised travel that they may not e entitled to. I do know this as a fact having worked for TFL on the CS side for a while

think about it a little it is not a huge a stretch to imagine the cops checking the (oyster travel) cards are with the rightful owners and valid - checking tickets in effect.

Is that simple enough for you?Do you feel it in some bizarre way justified for someone to attack cops with a knife just because the cops are checking tickets?

Last edited by The Zohan; 15 December 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 15 December 2010, 06:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Cops checking tickets? Whatever next? They'll be tax gathering next.........oh...........wait.......

Does TFL not have recognised ticket collectors/checkers, then?

I'm not condoning violence, but honestly, if cops have enough time to check travel tickets, they must have done a bloody good job clearing up all the robberies, rapes, murders, burgalries etc etc that we actually PAY THEM TO SORT OUT

Or maybe, just maybe, it's more of the "any crime so long as it effects our clear-up rate" thinking?
Old 15 December 2010, 06:06 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Wouldn't wish that on anyone incl the Fuzz

TX.
Old 15 December 2010, 06:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Cops checking tickets? Whatever next? They'll be tax gathering next.........oh...........wait.......

Does TFL not have recognised ticket collectors/checkers, then?

I'm not condoning violence, but honestly, if cops have enough time to check travel tickets, they must have done a bloody good job clearing up all the robberies, rapes, murders, burgalries etc etc that we actually PAY THEM TO SORT OUT

Or maybe, just maybe, it's more of the "any crime so long as it effects our clear-up rate" thinking?
Imagine a bit like car tax avoiders/illegal motorists/banned drivers it often picks up/detects criminals and those in breach of bail conditions etc.

If you go into London and use public transport you will see the oyster card readers fitted in stations and on buses - the card is swiped across it to allow free and easy movement though stations etc. One benefit is it speeds up people busing and debusing from public transport.

Would you rather have people going on buses 'tooled up' and ready to use a knife - i would rather the police checked the odd pass and picked up scumbags tbh
Let's say for example someone beats the cr@p out of you or a family member takes their wallet and uses their oyster card to travel around - then in a check the Police pick them up and arrest them - one more crime solved surely - what is the problem with that???

Last edited by The Zohan; 15 December 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 15 December 2010, 06:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

No problem, Paul.

But wouldn't it be nice if the police put even a FRACTION of the effort they put into easy stuff like this, into burglaries, robberies, assaults etc?

Crime number, anyone?

And as for chasing motorists about because they are easy prey............
Old 15 December 2010, 06:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
No problem, Paul.

But wouldn't it be nice if the police put even a FRACTION of the effort they put into easy stuff like this, into burglaries, robberies, assaults etc?

Crime number, anyone?

And as for chasing motorists about because they are easy prey............
I hate scumbags full stop and yes i would like to see as many as possible caught and banged up away from decent normal people.

The checking of these cards can and indeed does pick up offenders and criminals - i can say that hand on heart having been on the phone to the police many times when working with TFL.

It helps pick up robbers burglars and thugs!
Old 15 December 2010, 06:35 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Love the way you stereo type them as youths, the man arrested is 30.
Old 15 December 2010, 06:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg

The important thing is they got him
Old 15 December 2010, 06:45 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

No comment

Cheers

Jean Charles de Menezes
Old 15 December 2010, 06:50 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I thought you bought your ticket when you got on the bus, didn't think you needed a ticket to stand and wait for one but things must have changed in the UK since I left.
Old 15 December 2010, 06:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

If you go into London and use public transport you will see the oyster card readers fitted in stations and on buses - the card is swiped across it to allow free and easy movement though stations etc. One benefit is it speeds up people busing and debusing from public transport.
I don't have an oyster card or a bus pass so does that mean I will get arrested for not having a ticket whilst standing at a bus stop?
Old 15 December 2010, 06:53 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

think about it a little it is not a huge a stretch to imagine the cops checking the (oyster travel) cards are with the rightful owners and valid - checking tickets in effect.
Help me a little here.

How does a Policeman check that they are the rightful owner of the Oyster card in their possession?
Old 15 December 2010, 07:00 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The safer transport program has been running for some time now.
He was apparently recognised as a wanted person which is when it kicked off.

Originally Posted by BBC
BBC journalist Rachel Bulkeley, who witnessed the incident, said a large group of PCSOs and police were checking whether people had tickets at a bus stop.

I travel in and around London most weekdays and have done for years. I have NEVER seen a group of policemen/PCSOs checking tickets/Oyster cards. The only time I have seen the Police involved in tickets is when someone has jumped the barriers and the Transport Police or ticket inspectors have got them involved.

I have seen them in pairs riding tubes and buses - but never in numbers and never checking tickets.

The story does not add up.
Old 15 December 2010, 07:01 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

This is all bollox, obviously only half a story....
Old 15 December 2010, 07:09 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
This is all bollox, obviously only half a story....
Why don't you ask down the station and let us in on the real story behind this
Old 15 December 2010, 08:32 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
Lol I posted the link about 3 mins after it appeared on the news at which time the story was being reported as a youth attacking 2 officers. Hope that explains my "error"
Why the hell would I just guess it was youths lol
Old 15 December 2010, 08:39 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
I travel in and around London most weekdays and have done for years. I have NEVER seen a group of policemen/PCSOs checking tickets/Oyster cards. The only time I have seen the Police involved in tickets is when someone has jumped the barriers and the Transport Police or ticket inspectors have got them involved.

I have seen them in pairs riding tubes and buses - but never in numbers and never checking tickets.

The story does not add up.
The only time I have seen large groups of officers inc pcso's and btp is when they are doing revenue jobs to stop fare evasion, so I agree there.
I know they travel on buses and tubes, as well as hang about at known problem spots.

The safer transport thing was brought in by Boris, and was to raise the presence of police on public transport.
But from the sounds of this, for whatever reason he was stopped by a bus stop he was identified and they attempted to arrest him.
Old 15 December 2010, 08:48 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Confirmed as a revenue collection operation.
Man arrested was wanted for a recall to prison.

He left the bus when they boarded, they followed him after recognising him, and the stabbing started when they confronted him.

Hope that clears things up a little
Old 15 December 2010, 08:49 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Whatever the other half of this story, it's hard to imagine what a mere PCSO could possibly do to warrant being stabbed multiple times in the neck, particularly at 3pm on a busy street with plenty of potential witnesses around.

The 'more to this than meets the eye brigade' posting in this thread should hang their heads in shame for hinting at the police being somehow to blame here.
Old 15 December 2010, 08:54 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Yup i stand at bus stops all the time for the sheer hell of it, everybody does...don't they?!?

Ok to expand a little. In London they run the oyster travel card system which allows people to travel using the card to pay for journeys in and around London. The Oyster card is loaded with credit and debited when used.
Funnily enough there are some people who steal the cards (sometimes using force/violence) or get them fraudulently, also use ID theft to get them along with credit cards etc - they also can claim to be studing/under sixteen and or at school to get free/subsidised travel that they may not e entitled to. I do know this as a fact having worked for TFL on the CS side for a while

Is that simple enough for you?Do you feel it in some bizarre way justified for someone to attack cops with a knife just because the cops are checking tickets?
I figured the police may have more important things to do rather than feeling the collars of fare dodgers.

Still I guess each one caught is a another serious crime solved .

The Police have become a bunch of pen pushers while your Granny & mine sit in their houses $hitting themselves.

Of course there is no justification for people attacking the Police - I guess in trying to solve petty crime with a huge operation they have a least rooted out one **** !
Old 15 December 2010, 09:15 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Whatever the other half of this story, it's hard to imagine what a mere PCSO could possibly do to warrant being stabbed multiple times in the neck, particularly at 3pm on a busy street with plenty of potential witnesses around.

The 'more to this than meets the eye brigade' posting in this thread should hang their heads in shame for hinting at the police being somehow to blame here.
Just before the fact brigade get on your case.... The pcso was stabbed multiple times, while struggling with the guy, the wounds were described as defensive, the actual cop was slashed in the neck/throat.

Agree fully though, that once again it's a shame to see that the police are almost being blamed for this because of the nature of their operation.
I guess evading arrest is worth getting striped up for something this serious.
I wonder what the charge he goes up for will be, probably nothing serious as usual.

Of course there is no justification for people attacking the Police - I guess in trying to solve petty crime with a huge operation they have a least rooted out one **** !
Strange but true, it's silly operations like this that route out a huge number of wanted people, and generates a lot of intelligence for the police. ANPR is the other "pointless" one that is effective.
In the USA roadside stops account for a huge number of felony arrests.
So what looks dumb and infuriates people, is actually quite effective.

And like you say another dick off the streets, at least til he is granted bail tomorrow morning by an unqualified, socially detached magistrate.
Old 15 December 2010, 09:22 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Doubtless would go down better wth Joe Public if the Fuzz treated them with "respect" in the first instance ... in my experience we get treated like crims

TX.

Quick Reply: Great news for all the police haters