Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Giving up the fags - specific question

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2010, 12:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving up the **** - specific question

Yeah I know there have been loads of threads on this but just one basic question for those who have tried/done it.

I'm a pathetic specimen of mankind who needs some help to give up and have these choices: -

1) Nicotine lozengers

2) Nicotine "Inhalator"

3) Patches for daytime use

I can use one of above or a combination of two of the above.

Which worked for you?

David
Old 01 December 2010, 12:26 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I used to be addicted to the lozengers but find that Marlboro Lights are a really effective substitute.
Old 01 December 2010, 12:44 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Another bloody tax dodger!
Old 01 December 2010, 12:49 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Will power is what you need, when I gave up 17 years ago, thats all I had, oh & some Wrigleys gum.

I'd give the patches a go, they are apparently pretty good. I don't think you can combine the different substitutes as you may OD on Nicotine. Probably the best person to ask is a Pharmacist or you rGP, not some random internet strangers.

GL with giving up though, its not easy, but worth the effort!
Old 01 December 2010, 01:00 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Just will power
Old 01 December 2010, 02:03 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Go to the Docs, get patches on subscription, (6 weeks worth), much cheaper.

Pick a day and stick to it, change your habits if possible, walk to work instead of drive, or choose a different route, try to get rid of your previous "habits" for a week at least.

Don't eat ****, you'll get fat.

Good luck.
Old 01 December 2010, 02:08 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I used patches, didn't need anything else apart from normal sugar free chewing gum and chupa chups lollies, though I found out that these are NOT sugar free, so was in danger of rotting my teeth!

I gave up whilst on holiday once, was easier as I had a change of lifestyle. Was harder when I got back, but had got over the worst bit whilst away. Smoking is triggered by mental reminders, so if you commute and had a *** at a certain point of your journey, trying to get out of that habit is difficult - especially if you cannot alter your route!

Good luck, it'll be worth it in the end, I can guarantee it
Old 01 December 2010, 02:10 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Read the Allen Carr book.

I did and haven't had one or even desired one in 5.5 years.

Steve
Old 01 December 2010, 02:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Yeah I know there have been loads of threads on this but just one basic question for those who have tried/done it.

I'm a pathetic specimen of mankind who needs some help to give up and have these choices: -

1) Nicotine lozengers

2) Nicotine "Inhalator"

3) Patches for daytime use

I can use one of above or a combination of two of the above.

Which worked for you?

David
I had the advantage of being in hospital stuck in bed for a while. I decided to make the effort to resist after I got home and managed after cornering the market in Maltesers until the worst of the craving died down. Every day you keep off them, the stronger you get.

Les
Old 01 December 2010, 02:19 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

To really give up you need to change your focus, call that will power if you like.

Also, psychologically it is much easier to start doing something than to stop. For example lots of people want to lose weight and yet as soon as they start their diet all they can think about is food. Why? Because they are usually focusing on 'not' eating food.

Weight loss is much more successful when the focus is on health or fitness or fitting into a suit or wedding dress etc.

It is the same with smoking - what is your outcome? If it is to be healthier, be around longer for your kids, be fitter - then focus on that. Make your focus a compelling future for you and this will help far longer than patches or substitutes.

One of the best stories I heard on this was a guy who was smoking and his seven year old daughter said to him that she hated him smoking and he asked why. And she said, 'Because you are going to die!!'.

His focus shifted massively to being there for his daughter. He never smoked again.
Old 01 December 2010, 02:20 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

used patches a pen for my hands to do something and packets of trebor xtra stong mints about 2 packets a day to start with still going nearly 7 years later.
Old 01 December 2010, 02:46 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Given up for 6 months now, after smoking for 22 years, and 30 bensons a day - cannot believe how bloody easy it was to be honest - I used the mints for about a month - and that's it. You really need to want to stop though, will power is all you need! Money was what drove me on. I also smoked the funny cigs for about 15 years, and that's also now off the menu - not had a single drag, and I'm well chuffed about it! The feeling of beating the craving is great mate! I've got a XL coffee jar with "***" money in it,notes only - I've not counted it yet, but I can barley stuff another note in it!
Old 01 December 2010, 03:40 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
I used to be addicted to the lozengers but find that Marlboro Lights are a really effective substitute.
LoL

I was reading today that drinking alcohol is very bad for you both physically and mentally, So i have decided to give up reading!
Old 01 December 2010, 03:44 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Lock
I'm a pathetic specimen of mankind who needs some help to give up
I would also have classed myself like that too.
Having studied it through reading various books I can say that the only book that sort of worked for me was "the nicotine trick"
Then a period of using patches.

I stayed off them for about 2 years and then started again after a particulary sad time of 3 family deaths in as many months

However, right now I do not smoke during the my working day and the intention is to knock them on the head completly in the new year.

I personally feel that loosing the "fear" of not smoking is the key.
Then the patch reinforces the fact that you do not need to smoke.

Initially I don't think will power is enough and most like will end in failure - tried that a long time ago

Have you thought about hypnotherapy David?
I have a couple of friends - one swore by it, the other - we'll he was smoking again the following night
Old 01 December 2010, 03:45 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
LoL

I was reading today that drinking alcohol is very bad for you both physically and mentally, So i have decided to give up reading!
... and replying to threads?

Old 01 December 2010, 03:49 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

i gave up after 20 years by taking the tablets(Champix) ,worked very well.still miss smoking but been 18 months and not touched 1
Old 01 December 2010, 03:56 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
Given up for 6 months now, after smoking for 22 years, and 30 bensons a day - cannot believe how bloody easy it was to be honest
+1

It's the fear. Fear of change, fear of saying goodbye to them, and also the fear of failure.

I went on holiday when I gave up, patch on body and swimming with my son. Around 2pm I noticed the patch had disappeared, I ran to my wife white as a sheet as I couldn't find it and didn't know what to do. It had prob fallen off hours ago. Once I realised I wasn't dying I calmed down.

Over 20 years, 30 B&H a day... loved it! But giving up was actually a piece of p1ss once I got my head round it.

Do it, tell your family you are doing it, set the date, enjoy the last ***, set yourself free. You're not stopping smoking, you're beginning to not stink like an ashtray (Once you've given up you'll know what I mean).
Old 01 December 2010, 04:19 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor

David, nicotine chewing gums worked for me. 4mg for heavy smokers, 2mg for light smokers. I was 10 stones at 5'3", then. So, I went on 4mg ones I still have a sneaky one (chewing gum, that is) now and again, but I am pleased that I am not inhaling tar anymore. I may still die of heart attack, or blood clotting due to this sneaky nicotine chewing gum consumption. At least, I don't suffer from sand paper throat, blocked sinuses and smoke-filled lungs any more.
Old 01 December 2010, 04:24 PM
SPG
Scooby Regular

15 Years of smoking, 7 weeks of being free of them. I used nothing but will power (and having a heavy cold at the time helped)

Nicotine as far as I am aware is more or less out of your body in 3 days anyway so did'nt see the need to use patches etc.

The hardest thing for me is not missing the cigarette but the habit and 'time out' to have one.

Still fancy one to be honest but as far as i'm concerned the habit is broken and i'm continuing to be strong!
Old 01 December 2010, 04:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPG
Still fancy one to be honest but as far as i'm concerned the habit is broken and i'm continuing to be strong!
Me, too. When I pass some fagger at a bus-stop or elsewhere, I feel as if I am passing a street with a holy temple I inhale harder and harder to take those heavenly fumes down to my very gut. A passive smoker now, in that sense. My so very bad Still much better than active smoking @ 20-a-day.

I will never do active smoking again.
Old 01 December 2010, 05:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys and gals - an interesting mix of answers but all appreciated.

Just for the record I got the low down from my GPs who have an advising nurse who is very helpful.

I decided to stop for obvious health reasons and for basic financial ones. In the last week I have got down to a lot of **** a day to 3 or 4. I don't praise myself for that and want to hit the zero button.

I quite like the lozenges and they certainly take away the "urge" but what is more difficult is the routine - you get back from shopping say or finish mowing the lawn and you are just used to having a ciggy and a cup of tea. But I'll crack that.

Oddly enough my liver went on strike about a year ago and I was told to stop drinking which I did with no real hardship, easier than this *** palaver

dl
Old 01 December 2010, 05:53 PM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
Read the Allen Carr book.

I did and haven't had one or even desired one in 5.5 years.

Steve
+1
This book changed my life, I honestly can't recommend it enough.
Give it a try, you've got nothing to loose if it doesn't work.
I went from 25 - 30 a day to nothing and I've never had any cravings even when out drinking.
Alot of my friends and family have read it too, I would say about 70% have quit for good.
Old 01 December 2010, 05:54 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

You need a number 4 on your list....

4. Death
Old 01 December 2010, 06:42 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for Champix. I know at least 4 people, all of which i regard as unwilling quitters including myself, who have quit using this method. Get down your quacks and ask the question.
When i get a mo later i'll go into it more
Old 01 December 2010, 06:47 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used patches and willpower. As already said try eating healthier as you will put weight on( i gained about 2st) and try changing your daily routine. Aslo avoid booze for the first 4 weeks lol
Old 01 December 2010, 06:51 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just made it easy for myself. The following is a message i sent on facebook to someone who asked.

Champix is a drug you get on prescription from the doc. You start the course of pills (2 a day) but continue to smoke. You have to select a day from the first 14 days of the course to actually quit. (i picked day 14 like most people).
The drug actually stops the receptors in your brain from appreciating nicotene and in actual fact the taste of **** becomes not so nice.
The day you quit is just that - no more **** ( a lot easier than it sounds belive it or not). Apparently your body can still crave nicotene for upto 10 weeks, so the doc will normally keep you on the course for 12 weeks.
They say will power is required but to be honest i don't have a right lot of that - but it has worked for me. My last *** was 12th of March having smoked for 15 years and i've not had one since. Yes - you still fancy one every now and again, but you soon get over it.
It helps to have an aim. I put a side £25 a week (even though i was spending over £30 a week on the cancer sticks) and saved up for a new TV. To put it into context - no smoking has allowed me to buy a 50" Plasma in around 8 months (scary isn't it?)
It does sound like a wonder drug and in many ways it is - i personally know 3 people (none of which were light smokers) who have done Champix and have not had a *** since.
From your other posts i've seen, it looks like you have more will power than me so i think this is right up your street.
Right - the side affects. There are a few and some poeple have it worse than others (wasn't really "that" bad for me or the other 3 people i've mentioned - certainly better than lung cancer however)
Nausea, trippy dreams (which i thought were ace), extra farting (great fun), difficulty sleeping, headaches, constipation, diarrhoea and the list goes on. It's got the usula disclaimers for medicines.
Think that about covers it. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Brun
Old 01 December 2010, 07:01 PM
ratboy
Scooby Regular

Tried lots of methods.
Gum-didnt work and taists awfull.
Patches-made my skin itch.
Zyban-made head go funny.
Alan carr book-good for about a week
Hypontherpy-didnt work.
Will power-worked briefly.
Lozengers worked great,and reduce the gravings by around 50%,so less will power needed.
Am addicted to them now though.......but its more healthy than smoking.
Use NiQuitin 4mg mint flavour.
Special offer at Asda at the moment,box of 72 is a fiver.(tesco,sainsurys are about £13 for same size box)
Bought 8 boxes at Asda last week and cleared them out
Would defently read the Alan Carr book as well though as it does make giving up easier along with Lozengers

Last edited by ratboy; 01 December 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01 December 2010, 07:06 PM
wrx sti ppp
Scooby Regular

i used zyban when i stopped and counselling...apparently counselling doubles your probability of stopping. as said by others here, changing your old habits is the best advice...it's the "linked behaviour" of certain routines/habits associated with us individually that need to be cracked more than the cravings. i also used patches...great dreams on them! however, not to appear righteous...i have stumbled a couple of times and plan to stop again in the near future. once an addict, always an addict!
Old 01 December 2010, 08:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Champix was not mentioned at the surgery so I will definitely look into that.

I was told not to use patches at night as they could give you dreams/nightmares.

Alan Carr is also a new name to me.

Wondering about hypnotherapy but never had it for anything.

At least with this weather I can't nip out to the shops for 20 Rothmans

David
Old 01 December 2010, 08:34 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I smoked 20-30/day for years and packed up just like that Will power after my daughter made some comments about dying. (Like Trout has said).

Adam at the Scoobyclinic has one of these electronic *** things that lights up blue and puffs steam out, he reckons its doing the trick for him...he just has a drag when he wants but its supposed to be safe.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Giving up the fags - specific question