Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

ConLibs - Housing Benefit

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2010, 03:52 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ConLibs - Housing Benefit

Well the latest is that the ConLibs are about to "cap" housing benefit to £400 a week for a 4 bed house, in their own words:

He added: "What we are saying is that, for people who receive housing benefit, it is perfectly reasonable for the government to say that it won't hand out more in housing benefit than people who go out to work, pay their taxes, play by the rules will do when they look for housing themselves.

"We are simply suggesting there should be a cap for family homes of four bedrooms of £400 a week. That is £21,000 a year.

"Does he really think it's wrong for people who can't afford to live privately in those areas that the state should subsidise people to the tune of more than £21,000? I don't think so."
and you know what - I agree 100% with him
Old 26 October 2010, 04:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

intersesting to see what happens in the sort after inner cities like London, Bristol etc
Old 26 October 2010, 04:13 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Yep, so do I
Old 26 October 2010, 04:25 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

+ UK economy is growing now the labia fools are oot
Old 26 October 2010, 04:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can rent a very decent 4 bed house for less than half that, in fact I do, with a vegetable patch bigger than most gardens it could probably feed the family too if they got off their probably ample *****.

Why should people relying on state handouts be housed in expensive cities?
Old 26 October 2010, 04:30 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Won't happen because it will make people homeless. The bleeding heart brigade are out there bleating already.

Tell you what though, getting the work shy off their backsides is vital. Look at the Baby P report today. No work between the lot of them. House that is state provided becomes a filthy hovel and a refuge for violent paedos.

Mother spends all day in front of the computer and smokes 60 tabs a day. So that's what? 20 quid a day, £140 a week literally up in smoke. Time to stop paying out in cash for the long term idle i reckon.

If we weren't throwing money at this type of scum they wouldn't be able to do it. I'd back the welfare to work like in the US and force them to do something each week to get the money.

5t.
Old 26 October 2010, 04:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Indeed, just look around and you could give the idle obese lots of jobs to do. Vegetable growing and hard work, don't do it and you don't get your benefits. And if you get the excuse that they are disabled because they are overweight, it is simple, make them grow their own food and their weight will come down as if by magic.

We have indulged a whole section of society with well beyond what the welfare state has any business being involved in!

Move them all to the farms, no need for oxen when you see the size of some of the workshy.

Last edited by john banks; 26 October 2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 26 October 2010, 04:45 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks

We have indulged a whole section of society with well beyond what the welfare state has any business being involved in!
I totally agree. Greed from the landlords and incredible naivety from the government agencies of the past signing this off.

If we all want to get this country on an even keel, we ALL need to take the hit. I have not complained about the wage freeze on the Armed Forces because it would smack of double standards. Personally, (off on a tangent) I think that the Opearational Allowance for proper front line troops should be raised to over £50 per day, seeing as most of the troops are earning less than £20k. This should be offset by cutting Home To Duty, in essence petrol money for travelling to work. If you are in the military then there are 90% of the time quarters available for all.
Old 26 October 2010, 05:12 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Won't happen because it will make people homeless. The bleeding heart brigade are out there bleating already.

Tell you what though, getting the work shy off their backsides is vital. Look at the Baby P report today. No work between the lot of them. House that is state provided becomes a filthy hovel and a refuge for violent paedos.

Mother spends all day in front of the computer and smokes 60 tabs a day. So that's what? 20 quid a day, £140 a week literally up in smoke. Time to stop paying out in cash for the long term idle i reckon.

If we weren't throwing money at this type of scum they wouldn't be able to do it. I'd back the welfare to work like in the US and force them to do something each week to get the money.

5t.
you got my vote
Old 26 October 2010, 05:31 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

A step in the right direction but still seems an awful lot of money. £21,000 a year top whack coupled with the other idea that the "average" family needs £26,000 to live on (according to the government anyway) so thats £45,000 a year paid for by us.
Old 26 October 2010, 05:40 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fivetide

5t.
Excellent idea. Get them working for the councils doin labouring etc for the money. Surely that would be better for them too, giving them motivation and the feeling of earning rather that just being given. And that would also free up the people who formerly did those jobs. Don't see why people are given handouts for doing nothing, especially where they will probably spend more of it when they're sitting in the house smoking etc, as you say. I can't understand why they don't already do this?

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 26 October 2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 26 October 2010, 05:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
You can rent a very decent 4 bed house for less than half that, in fact I do, with a vegetable patch bigger than most gardens it could probably feed the family too if they got off their probably ample *****.

Why should people relying on state handouts be housed in expensive cities?
+1!
Old 26 October 2010, 05:43 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

My mum has the right idea. Her view is that if the government believes it must provide £x in benefits to a non-working family then it is inconsistent and unfair to take any taxes from a working family earning less than that. It's intellectually dishonest to argue this any other way - if you think the non-working family need this amount of money to live then there is no way to argue that the working family needs less.

Benefits should therefore be reduced and tax thresholds increased until the point where a family starts paying tax is the same as the maximum benefits they could get.
Old 26 October 2010, 05:47 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

£400 is still a lot of money though, simply move them to a cheaper area.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-27520519.html

There we go, with a garage to.
Old 26 October 2010, 05:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by cookstar
Totally agree.
Old 26 October 2010, 05:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i dont know why every child deserves its own bedroom anyway !
Old 26 October 2010, 05:59 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Totally agree.
100% agree .Cant afford to live there ,then move .!!!!!!
Old 26 October 2010, 06:01 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
i dont know why every child deserves its own bedroom anyway !
Too right .Spoilt little Brats .I shared a bedroom with 4 others as a kid .5 of us in 2 lots of bunk beds and a single in the middle .At one time it was a double bed for three of us .!!!!!!!!
Old 26 October 2010, 06:16 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what it need is some form of equalibrium someone earing less than the maxium state handouts should not pay tax end off . i have worked it out severak times we as a family are only 70pounds a month better off working . there needs to be a incentive to work . at the same time if they want to simplifiy the way working people pay taxs etc . make the system easier there are 6 goverment sponsored workers involved in my wage packet every month. example
1 takes tax
2 takes ni
3 gives me child benefit ( more than i pay in tax lmfao) also claimed by migrant workers and sent back home £206.00 every 4 weeks for 3 kids
4 gives me childrens tax credit ( which acording to thier calculator would stay the same even if i got 9k a year more)
5 gives me working tax credir £40.71 per month
6 takes school dinner money about £141.00 per month ( which we have to pay because we get wtc
the whole system needs a bloody good shake up and a new level of common sense applied
Old 26 October 2010, 06:18 PM
sparkykev
Scooby Regular

Location: Ex WRX now a Harley Iron. Warwickshire. Oh what fun...

I think £400 a week is still too much, £250 a week -£1000 a month is plenty.
Old 26 October 2010, 06:22 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I'll see your £1000 and raise the stakes to £750 a MONTH...
Old 26 October 2010, 06:54 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I wonder whether the government can't go too low because of the deals its done with private sector house builders. I know we've seen all these private landlords getting the money but it wouldn't surprise me if the state owned homes weren't on some equally rubbish deal.

You know where they build an estate and expect private buyers to pay £200K for a house yet just over the road is the social housing for waifs and strays.

My mothers place is a bit like this in St Mellons in Cardiff. One side of the main road looks like Sh1tpant estate and on the other is those that work - the middle-earners etc. I actually find it hard to feel comfortable there and shes a fair distance away.

I wonder whether the government has to pay the private sector for these houses and most likely as done a terrible deal weighted in favour of the private builder.

Last edited by EddScott; 26 October 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 26 October 2010, 07:30 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I've been saying this for years. Unemployed people on benefits should be moved out of London and be housed somewhere like Wales. What's the point of paying for people to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

If we got all the people on housing benefit out of London it would bring down prices a little so that our key workers could actually afford to buy a place.

Only in this country could we have a system where the government takes tax money from me to pay up to £8000/month for an unemployed persons rent
Old 26 October 2010, 07:37 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I wonder what would happen to crime in London... it would be like the metrosexual fox from Mongrels converting everyone to middle class
Old 26 October 2010, 07:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZ4c7Kf590 for the uninitiated.
Old 26 October 2010, 08:09 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Well the latest is that the ConLibs are about to "cap" housing benefit to £400 a week for a 4 bed house, in their own words:

and you know what - I agree 100% with him
It should be no where near that, WTF, it should be half that.

What is it just now.
Old 26 October 2010, 08:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you should in theory have subsidised housing everywhere !, unfortunately Mags put paid to this one
Old 26 October 2010, 08:22 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Move all the unemployed people out of the expensive cities and what do you have, then? Some very nice, even more expensive cities with no unemployment, and at the opposite end of the scale, a barely habitable sh*thole where nobody has a job and no business would ever want to locate. Instant two-tier society.

That said, Wales........
Old 26 October 2010, 09:47 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-27520519.html

There we go, with a garage to.
Its a nice start though. If they can manage to get this policy past all the do gooders then they can either freeze it at that level forever, or slowly start reducing it
Old 26 October 2010, 10:23 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

£400 a week would get you a big detached house with big gardens in some of the nicest parts of Manchester.

Surely it would make more sense for the government to start building houses so the money can at least end up back in the public purse.

Quick Reply: ConLibs - Housing Benefit